or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Does the uterus move around?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does the uterus move around?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi, I'm just about 12 weeks pregnant, and have been stalking my fundus for a few weeks. I *think* I can feel it, sometimes. I think I can feel it more when I'm standing up. I can't always feel it laying down. I've been told, I have a really large pelivs by every midwife who has been acquainted with my pelvis, LOL. I don't know if my uterus can get "lost" in there.

I only ask, because I had a loss around 12 weeks over the winter, and my only real clue something was awry was that my fundus seemed small (er) to me.
post #2 of 12
I couldn't feel mine regularly until... 16 weeks?
post #3 of 12
I could barely feel mine just above my pubic bone at 12 weeks. Typically, the uterus pops out from behind the pubic bone around 12 weeks.

Now at 14 weeks I can reliably feel it while lying down.

However, in the mornings when I wake up, and my bladder is full, my uterus pops up to a bit below my belly button. And when I empty my bladder, it goes back down.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that based on how you sit/stand, or if you might have a full or empty bladder, your uterus might be positioned slightly different.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella99 View Post

However, in the mornings when I wake up, and my bladder is full, my uterus pops up to a bit below my belly button. And when I empty my bladder, it goes back down?

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that based on how you sit/stand, or if you might have a full or empty bladder, your uterus might be positioned slightly different.
I could feel it pretty early (def. in the first trimester) after a full night's sleep and a full bladder. It moves around a lot, based on my experience.
post #5 of 12
I think that they do move a bit for sure.. at an early stage it is probably harder to tell, but once baby is bigger I think that they can actually stretch it out more depending on how they are positioned. I'm 25 weeks and im sure that some days it is higher than others.. def. with a full bladder it gets higher..after O or during BHx when the uterus is really sqeezy it seems bigger/higher...
post #6 of 12
Probably not what you mean, but historically the uterus was thought to "wander" a woman's body at whim! We were taught that that's why wedding rings were invented, to "trap" the uterus into the ring finger
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
I think that they do move a bit for sure.. at an early stage it is probably harder to tell, but once baby is bigger I think that they can actually stretch it out more depending on how they are positioned. I'm 25 weeks and im sure that some days it is higher than others.. def. with a full bladder it gets higher..after O or during BHx when the uterus is really sqeezy it seems bigger/higher...


full bladder, any sort of muscular contraction, as you get further along, babys position...

totally normal to move around a LOT.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Interesting, thanks. I actually woke up having to pee in the middle of the night, and tried to feel it - how anyone can relax their stomach muscles when having to go to the bathroom without peeing on their bed is beyond me. LOL. But I think I felt it a few inches above the pubic bone at that time.

Does anyone who has a large, deep pelvis find that they feel it later than most?
I feel like when I'm laying down, it just falls back into my pelvis. My pelvis may resemble that of an ox. BTW.
post #9 of 12
i have a large pelvis... dunno about deep but I am large-boned... even when I have very little body fat I am still a large person...

I still find I can find mine easy and early and feel babies kick extremely early (just before 9 weeks with this little gymnast!) but ... we are all built differently! Even beyond how our bones are... my uterus tips forward and I am extremely sensitive down there (both inside and out)
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
Interesting, thanks. I actually woke up having to pee in the middle of the night, and tried to feel it - how anyone can relax their stomach muscles when having to go to the bathroom without peeing on their bed is beyond me. LOL. But I think I felt it a few inches above the pubic bone at that time.

Does anyone who has a large, deep pelvis find that they feel it later than most?
I feel like when I'm laying down, it just falls back into my pelvis. My pelvis may resemble that of an ox. BTW.
I have a pretty decent sized pelvis, I also have a very long torso. There's lots of room for everything to go. I can only feel mine in certain positions. I've been stalking this thread, couldn't feel this morning with a full bladder either!
If I'm sitting with my hips forward seems to be the easiest. I feel it about 2 inches above my pubic bone, I'm 14 weeks. I think your pretty close to me in EDD right?
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Yea I'm pretty large boned, but not all that fluffy just "good breeding stock" with larger hips/pelvis. I think the word my DH uses is "sturdy".
I never feel the uterus early. And I never tend to measure ahead in weeks, although I have big babes and look rather ginormous near the end. Maybe my uterus points to the back? It's annoying me that it's being elusive, since it's all I have right now to "prove" that I'm pregnant to myself since most of my nausau is gone at this point.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post
I have a pretty decent sized pelvis, I also have a very long torso. There's lots of room for everything to go. I can only feel mine in certain positions. I've been stalking this thread, couldn't feel this morning with a full bladder either!
If I'm sitting with my hips forward seems to be the easiest. I feel it about 2 inches above my pubic bone, I'm 14 weeks. I think your pretty close to me in EDD right?
My torso is pretty long, I'm due 2/8 so I'm 12 weeks tomorrow.
I went on my stomach and could feel it easier, like it fell forward...?
I'm sure the baby is saying "wth, stop poking me..."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Does the uterus move around?