or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico › backup OBs inside the loop in Houston?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

backup OBs inside the loop in Houston?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
My parents, and MD and an RN, are alarmed that we do not yet have a backup obstetrician -- for both emergencies and non-life-threatening complications -- for our midwife and possible home birth. For some context, I'm just entering the second trimester of pregnancy #2.

Our midwife has strong relationships with three backup OBs, but they are in West Houston, Conroe, and Pasadena... we are near Kirby and 59! We haven't asked her for her B-list yet, because it seemed a bit early, but I thought I would start getting some good pointers here, to help calm my parents at the very least.

Does anyone know of an OBs open to working with a midwife? We would really appreciate the help! TIA!
post #2 of 9
Really, there aren't any. It's too much of a liability for them to officially back a homebirth. In an emergency, you can go in through L&D at any hospital and be cared for. If something comes up, one of the OBs that the midwife has a relationship with will be able to care for you.

-Angela
post #3 of 9
who is your midwife?
post #4 of 9
just wanted to say hi neighbor - I'm at kirby and 59 :
post #5 of 9
The only problem with choosing a close hospital is ensuring they actually have doctors on site for an emergency. I think the best prep you can do (because you're really not going to find a true, local "back-up" for your area) is to call the hospital(s) closest to you, talk to the OB nurses about when/if they have doctors ON SITE, find out if they also have anesthesiology on site, and perhaps inquire about their reaction time to an emergency/transfer, etc.

Then, make the best hospital part of your emergency transfer plan. Assure your parents you have a hospital that you would go to in case of an emergency, and doctors you would go to in case of a non-emergent situation, so that you're well-covered for all possible scenarios (including a beautiful, peaceful, perfect home birth!).
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
The only problem with choosing a close hospital is ensuring they actually have doctors on site for an emergency. I think the best prep you can do (because you're really not going to find a true, local "back-up" for your area) is to call the hospital(s) closest to you, talk to the OB nurses about when/if they have doctors ON SITE, find out if they also have anesthesiology on site, and perhaps inquire about their reaction time to an emergency/transfer, etc.

Then, make the best hospital part of your emergency transfer plan. Assure your parents you have a hospital that you would go to in case of an emergency, and doctors you would go to in case of a non-emergent situation, so that you're well-covered for all possible scenarios (including a beautiful, peaceful, perfect home birth!).
I agree with Heather, in a true emergency it won't matter who the doctor is as long as they can perform a csection quickly and handle a sick baby/mom. So look for the hospital with doctors on site and quick reaction times. Also at least a level 2 NICU, preferably level 3. But in most homebirth transfers the issue is not life threatening, you may want an epidural or need a little boost of pitocin if labor stalls. These type of transfers can be handled at your midwives regular back up. For our homebirth we had plans for both types of transfer, I remember also calling the closest EMS/fire station to find out their call times and which hospital they thought was best. The guy on the phone was very helpful when I told him why I was calling.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Really, there aren't any. It's too much of a liability for them to officially back a homebirth. In an emergency, you can go in through L&D at any hospital and be cared for. If something comes up, one of the OBs that the midwife has a relationship with will be able to care for you.

-Angela
Thanks! We were more looking for someone to back up midwife-based care rather than a home birth specifically (would think the distinction matters), though I do understand the liability issues...otherwise, I'm sure there would be more backup OBs around, period. We are not 100% committed to having the birth at home, but we do want to keep it as our first option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
who is your midwife?
Pat Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
just wanted to say hi neighbor - I'm at kirby and 59 :
Heya! We're going on vacation, but maybe I'll remember to PM you when we get back late next week and see if we can't meet up IRL sometime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
The only problem with choosing a close hospital is ensuring they actually have doctors on site for an emergency. I think the best prep you can do [...trimmed material...] so that you're well-covered for all possible scenarios (including a beautiful, peaceful, perfect home birth!).
Much appreciated. I have a feeling we will end up with a plan looking much like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal View Post
I agree with Heather, in a true emergency it won't matter who the doctor is as long as they can perform a csection quickly and handle a sick baby/mom. So [...trimmed material...].
Yes. Fortunately, we are minutes from the many options in the Medical Center, including Woman's, where I had DD1 (and my first OB, who is a great surgeon...).

Thanks again, you guys.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
Thanks! We were more looking for someone to back up midwife-based care rather than a home birth specifically (would think the distinction matters), though I do understand the liability issues...otherwise, I'm sure there would be more backup OBs around, period. We are not 100% committed to having the birth at home, but we do want to keep it as our first option.
You might find that Dr. Hector Del Castillo fits that bill nicely.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thank you! Will def look him up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico › backup OBs inside the loop in Houston?