or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Knittin' & Sewin' Mamas! - Page 3

post #41 of 127
I'm thinking of doing a variation of this pillow's pattern for a quilt/wall hanging for the babe.

Our babe's name is Sequoia so I should probably do the trunk reddish/brown too!


there is another really cute quilt I saw somewhere I want to make. It's all solid except for the squares or pattern are colored bunting flags..they are from recycled men's shirts and it was very cute. I lost the link but I will post if I come across it.
post #42 of 127
Thread Starter 
i have a babyhawk with minky too,. YUM..normally i don't like synthetics either.. but its so cozy!

finished my baby sleep sac with owlies on it i wont wash/block it till we get home..so pictures then..
im hoping to get to a yard store today and start a new project but i only have one set of needles with me.. i didnt think that far ahead
maybe ill have to get some new ones..
hmm.....

loving all of the ideas!!

rainbow, thats lovely! my baby has a tree name as well, a tree quilt would be perfect!
post #43 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
finished my baby sleep sac with owlies on it i wont wash/block it till we get home..so pictures then..
Yes, pictures!! Can't wait to see!

I love me some minkee! I've made both my girls minkee lined blankets when they were babes...and they still snuggle up in them.

I've almost finished an instant gratification baby hat that I started 2 days ago. I was getting burned out on knitting the sleep sack and needed something small and quick. I knit it in a varigated soy blend yarn. Its super cute.

Anyone have a nursing nightgown pattern or know of one that doesn't look like a feed sack? I've been googling a ton but can't find one that doesn't look frumpy.
post #44 of 127
Fern, I'd love to see pictures of that sleep sack! Is it based on the Owl pullover pattrn? I think that's totally adorable, although I don't do crew necks.

I my KnitPicks Interchangeables - it's so easy to throw the whole set into my knitting bag, and then I don't have the problem of the wrong size needles. I bought a cool "bag" for them from DellaQ, and it's smaller and more portable than the plastic sack they send with the set. Not perfect, but better. And definitely prettier! If I were a better seamstress, I would have made my own.
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliversmommy View Post
Those sewing cloth diapers---what patterns are you using? We are new to CDing (started with our 20 month old a few months back) and I'm really getting nervous about how to do it with a newborn (maybe this should be a new thread). Right now we're using the Flip covers with prefolds and it's so easy and great we want to keep going....
I used the Rita's Rump Pocket Pattern. I just used flannel recieving blankets that I had been using as flats with DS. I found that as flats they often had blowouts of EBF poop... so I'm hoping these work better. It is a free pattern and apparently one-size. I also Tried the Darling Diaper Newborn Pattern but I like the pocket aspect of RRP better. It wasn't hard to do and I'm really happy with how they have turned out. I have actually been using them with my DS right now as I had to return a bunch of the pockets that I had borrowed from my sister. So far.. so good. I think I want to make a few more just to be sure I have enough for 2 in diapers.
post #46 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastlady View Post
I used the Rita's Rump Pocket Pattern. I just used flannel recieving blankets that I had been using as flats with DS. I found that as flats they often had blowouts of EBF poop... so I'm hoping these work better. It is a free pattern and apparently one-size. I also Tried the Darling Diaper Newborn Pattern but I like the pocket aspect of RRP better. It wasn't hard to do and I'm really happy with how they have turned out. I have actually been using them with my DS right now as I had to return a bunch of the pockets that I had borrowed from my sister. So far.. so good. I think I want to make a few more just to be sure I have enough for 2 in diapers.
I have done the RRP too- it is a great pattern- but I made them with an internal soaker instead of pocket style.
post #47 of 127
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Fern, I'd love to see pictures of that sleep sack! Is it based on the Owl pullover pattern? I think that's totally adorable, although I don't do crew necks.
it has the same cable pattern! its so super easy and fast to knit up. i cant wait to use it on a chilly autumn day!
post #48 of 127
ok, i made an album of what i am working on- i taught myself how to knit about 4-5 weeks ago, and most of the stuff i made it in it, plus a diaper cover i sewed
here
post #49 of 127
Looks like you have been busy, Liz! I am thoroughly impressed that you just learned to knit! Thanks for sharing!
post #50 of 127
That sleep sack is sooo cute! I'm now really thinking of knitting it, maybe even just to get newborn pictures in it. What color and yarn did you end up using? Can't wait to see pictures, and now I'm scheming on the color...
post #51 of 127
The babe's quilt came in the mail from the quilter yesterday! It looks so awesome! Now I just need to bind it and it'll be ready to snuggle up a November baby in. I'll post pics as soon as I'm done with it.
post #52 of 127
WOW!! i am "sew" inspired by all of you!

i don't knit - not yet anyways. but i noticed that some of you mentioned "thrumming". i heard mention of this in a novel that i read. ( the novel is called "the birth house" by canadian author ami mckay...fabulous! www.thebirthhouse.com)

anyways, i love to sew . but i haven't had a lot of time for it recently. i have about 4-5 boxes of fabric which i am reeeeeally hoping to use up for some christmas/birthday presents. i figure that if i start now, i might actually have some things done in time.

i don't have any projects planned for this baby perhaps another mei tai carrier later on, but not for before birth. oh, wait - i plan on making some cloth wipes and some doublers. but that should be pretty straightforward.

plans i DO have:

-make doll diapers for DD
-make a doll carrier for DD
-make super-hero costume for DS1
-make something similiar for DS2 (who will want one after seeing big bro)
-make some fabric "sculptures" for b-days coming up (see note below)
-make purses/bags for some friends/family as christmas presents

i have become enamoured with the idea of making pillows/fabric sculptures that mimic everyday objects. last year i made some giant shoes (i am a shoe-aholic...another of my non-granola tendencies ) here is a link for some pics (they still needed some refining) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=ed6cd68356 my close friends and i heartily enjoy going out for martini nights - so i decided that i want to make them giant martini glasses similar in style/scope of the giant shoes. they each have milestone birthdays coming up this fall (before EDD) so i hope to make them! i need to start prototypes this month
post #53 of 127
I've been so bad about blogging lately, but I finally got a post up with most of the baby things I've made so far, complete with pics and pattern links (when I used a pattern.) I also attempted to sew a boppy cover, but it didn't turn out quite right...probably going to just break down and buy one instead.

Oops, almost forgot to add the link to my blog post so you can see some pics!
http://cocoacream.wordpress.com/2010...issing-lately/
post #54 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
I've been so bad about blogging lately, but I finally got a post up with most of the baby things I've made so far, complete with pics and pattern links (when I used a pattern.) I also attempted to sew a boppy cover, but it didn't turn out quite right...probably going to just break down and buy one instead.

Oops, almost forgot to add the link to my blog post so you can see some pics!
http://cocoacream.wordpress.com/2010...issing-lately/
so inspiring!

have you used that wool wrap pattern before? i am wondering how it fits a baby -- it looks a lot like the lionbrand pattern (knitted), which has iffy reviews, but i think whipping up a crochet newborn wrap would be a snap (i crochet faster than i knit). what do you use for a closure?

also, love the quilt! i have some fat quarters that i want to make one with, but i have never quilted before so i've been putting it off (that, and there are so many higher priority projects, of course)...
post #55 of 127
Lemoncello- love all the projects!

I've been such a slacker. I got half a newborn knit pilot cap in Malabrigo Silky Merino done on our way out of town but couldn't stay awake to finish on the way back. I finished a pair of longies, but need to make the cord. I'll post pics when I'm done.

I bought some velour and wool interlock from swaddlebees clearance to make some covers, pants, toddler sized bed sheet, dipe doublers, and baby wipes.
post #56 of 127
I love all the projects everyone is working on! So inspiring. I finished my first pair of baby booties, I'll try to post a picture soon. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, now I think I'll make a matching hat.
post #57 of 127
Ooooh! Good thread!

Since I've always been the type who has 5 million projects going at once, I'm practicing doing one at a time and seeing how that goes.

Rigt now, I'm knitting longies for the baby. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Never made longies before.

Next for her is the Zarina Baby Print swirl cardigan (middle of page) and matching hat.

Gonna start making me some clothes since I can't find anything in my tastes lately.
post #58 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippyMama View Post
have you used that wool wrap pattern before? i am wondering how it fits a baby -- it looks a lot like the lionbrand pattern (knitted), which has iffy reviews, but i think whipping up a crochet newborn wrap would be a snap (i crochet faster than i knit). what do you use for a closure?
Thanks for the compliments! And no, considering that this is our first babe, I definitely have not use the wrap pattern before! I'm really hoping it will fit well, but I have no idea. I'm still undecided on what to use for closures. I've seen that some people use snaps, other aplix, and some others just use a snappi. I'm leaning toward aplix myself, but I have yet to order any. I just keep forgetting that I need it!
post #59 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
Thanks for the compliments! And no, considering that this is our first babe, I definitely have not use the wrap pattern before! I'm really hoping it will fit well, but I have no idea. I'm still undecided on what to use for closures. I've seen that some people use snaps, other aplix, and some others just use a snappi. I'm leaning toward aplix myself, but I have yet to order any. I just keep forgetting that I need it!


yeah, i thought about looking at your siggy to see if you had any other children before i asked that, but i forgot to.

i have seen this type of wrap closed with regular old buttons -- that's what i have considered using because aplix doesn't last forever (i.e. is a pain to rip out/replace) and a snappi could damage it (a little, over time). then again, it is a newborn size, so it won't get as much use as, say, a large (<--in our case, as my 2.5yo has been in larges since 6 months!). it's easy/simple enough to move buttons as baby grows.
post #60 of 127
I'm crafting vicariously through all of you - I'm still working on my sil's Christmas present (a wrap - here's the pattern: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTcozy.html). Once I'm finished, I hope to knit a couple of little things for babe (including these cute as a button baby socks...I don't know if you non-Ravelry folk will be able to see this link, but here it is: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ies-baby-socks).

Love the projects you ladies are posting!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2010