or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › Gisele Bundchen says moms should be forced to breastfeed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gisele Bundchen says moms should be forced to breastfeed - Page 2

post #21 of 43
People can wish things for others all they want but they cannot and should not enforce their beliefs on others.

I personally would want everyone to have natural childbirth, be pro-choice and have a college degree.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj's_mom View Post
I actually like this. With all to "too posh to push" celebs out there, it's nice to see some going back to basics. And she had a waterbirth drug-free, apparently, which is neat.

I have honestly thought for a while that formula should be by prescription only. That breastfeeding should be the assumed norm, and that only in the rare case that is absolutely cannot work should formula be used. ESPECIALLY in WIC cases or other government assistance programs.

Sorry if that sounds awful, but- it is really how I feel. I think it's too easy for people NOT to nurse, they just "don't feel like it", they don't even try.
I have voiced this thought myself. More often these days I feel like formula should be offered only by prescription with a truly established need for it. I also think if it were only available by prescription insurance should pick up the tab or at least part of it.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
The Association of Breastfeeding Mothers has a response here:
http://www.abm.me.uk/abm-response-da...-3-august-2010
Wow check out those high BFing rates!

Quote:
It is thought that around 98% of mothers could fully breastfeed if they had the information and skills available to them, and in fact many countries around the world achieve this figure. The breastfeeding initiation rates from Norway, Sweden, Romania, Czech Republic etc are over 97% and in Sri Lanka, for example, the initiation rate is 79% and the exclusive breastfeeding rate for babies of 6 months is 75%.
That's fantastic!
post #24 of 43
The correct statement would have been, "All women should be EMPOWERED to breastfeed."

I do think that upon becomming pregnant, the following courses should be required:

*how birth works (real birth, not hurried medical birth),

*a course on breastfeeding and scientific data about the benefits

*informational class on the Prepuce and its functions and importance and leanr about the surgical removal (with a video presentation of the actual procedure)

*and finally a parenting class

Then I think all women should be supported to stay at home by the government to breastfeed their babies and raise them the first year at least. Other countries do this. We should too.

I think by empowering and educating women we would see far better results with gentle parenting.

Ahhhh in a perfect world.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj's_mom View Post
I actually like this. With all to "too posh to push" celebs out there, it's nice to see some going back to basics. And she had a waterbirth drug-free, apparently, which is neat.

I have honestly thought for a while that formula should be by prescription only. That breastfeeding should be the assumed norm, and that only in the rare case that is absolutely cannot work should formula be used. ESPECIALLY in WIC cases or other government assistance programs.

Sorry if that sounds awful, but- it is really how I feel. I think it's too easy for people NOT to nurse, they just "don't feel like it", they don't even try.
ITA. But in order for that to happen we would need peds that are TRULY knowledgeable about breastfeeding and the benefits of EBF for both mom and baby. Though, there would have to be a lot more LLL leaders out there, and lactation consultants -- help that is readily available, esp. for first time mamas. I don't know how the logistics of it would play out, but I do think formula should be by prescription only, as an absolute last resort(as c-sections should be too). People are way too quick to say they "couldn't" when in fact they just don't really want to put forth the effort to do what's right for the baby. It's TOO easy right now to go to whatever store and pick up a can of formula. Way too easy.
post #26 of 43
I read the quotes. Taken in their context it seemed to me like she was saying it should be law in the way someone might say "this cake is amazing, we should eat this every day! It should be a law!" - very flippantly and thinking of the amazingness of the cake not the legal repercussions of cake-eating!

When celebrities say anything we have it pushed in our faces - it's kind of a shame she's been taken so seriously. I get the impression from the tone of the retraction that she was *just talking* when that statement came out - she's a new mum, she's passionate. That should be celebrated, even if her remarks shouldn't be published.

The celebrity who gave up after 3 weeks is Denise Van Outen - i don't know how famous she is in America, she's pretty well-known over here in the UK. For her the issue wasn't feeding, it was that she didn't want paparazzi taking pictures of her bare breasts while she was feeding and then putting them in newspapers. I am a proud BFer and don't mind NIP one bit, but it would squick me out to think every time i NIP'd i might have to look at myself doing so in all the tabloids the next day. That's hardly something most women are going to be worried about when deciding how to feed!
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
The celebrity who gave up after 3 weeks is Denise Van Outen - i don't know how famous she is in America, she's pretty well-known over here in the UK. For her the issue wasn't feeding, it was that she didn't want paparazzi taking pictures of her bare breasts while she was feeding and then putting them in newspapers. I am a proud BFer and don't mind NIP one bit, but it would squick me out to think every time i NIP'd i might have to look at myself doing so in all the tabloids the next day. That's hardly something most women are going to be worried about when deciding how to feed!
Maybe there could be a clause in the law to allow for pumping and bottle feeding in case of extreme circumstances.
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post
I have voiced this thought myself. More often these days I feel like formula should be offered only by prescription with a truly established need for it. I also think if it were only available by prescription insurance should pick up the tab or at least part of it.
Who gets to decide what a "truly established need" entails?
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommatoAandA View Post
The correct statement would have been, "All women should be EMPOWERED to breastfeed."

I do think that upon becomming pregnant, the following courses should be required:
Really? You think there should be required classes if you get pregnant. It's one thing to affirm in writing what people should do, it's a totally other thing to require such.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Really? You think there should be required classes if you get pregnant. It's one thing to affirm in writing what people should do, it's a totally other thing to require such.
I actually think BFing should be covered in sex ed at school. Why isn't it? Why are we supposed to learn the most important and relevant things we need to know about childrearing in the 6 or so months between the end of morning sickness and the start of labour, when most of us are already working and looking after a home. For that matter, why do so many kids learn about sex and safety when they could already be sexually active? Our whole social education system seems to be fire fighting. Why aren't boys taught about BFing in high school so they can properly support and nurture their future partners in the task of feeding ther babies? I think the classes offered in pregnancy, even if they were compulsory (and i wouldn't attend, FWIW, because i know they'd be mainstream classes and not pertinent to me), are too little too late.
post #31 of 43
I want to read the whole article. The main thing that gets me about the Fox report is the horrible quotes from the doc As someone esle said, it must be impossible to bf! I expect this from FOX.

I can't help but love it that she called formula "chemical food."
post #32 of 43
And let's remember that if Gisele had been giving the interview in Portuguese, she might have come across completely differently...maybe her word choices in English just aren't the most accurate to express how she feels???
post #33 of 43
As far as the "every woman should breastfeed for 6 months" thing goes, that would work a HECK of a lot better if working moms got more the 4-8 weeks off after their babies are born.
post #34 of 43
post #35 of 43
Yes, Gisele - th ebiggest impediment I faced as a nursing mother was having to return to work - not finding a pump that worked well - supplementing early, turning to solids early, etc...etc... I guess I should have saved more money from my lingerie shoots....
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
Yikes.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
Wow... my opinions on BF'ing are a little extreme to some (count me in the 'prescription-only formula' group) but even I find that legislation horrifying.
post #38 of 43
Deleted - changed my mind .
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavelamomela View Post
And with remarks like Dr. Alvarez's, who makes breastfeeding seem like an impossible ideal, who can expect ANYONE to breastfeed????!!! After all, it's SOOOO hard!
I find this comment pretty offensive. While I can see how Dr. Alvares's comments come across that way, I think he was just trying to give examples of people who have a harder time breastfeeding. Anyway, the last part of your comment really bothers me, because it feels mocking to those who have had a terrible time trying to breastfeed, whether they succeeded or not. It may have been easy for you, which I am glad of, but for lots of mothers, it's extremely difficult and painful. I've heard numerous stories, and you can pop your head into Breastfeeding Challenges to see for yourself. If I had gone through that, and someone said, "After all, it's SOOOO hard!" I would have been really hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj's_mom View Post
I have honestly thought for a while that formula should be by prescription only. That breastfeeding should be the assumed norm, and that only in the rare case that is absolutely cannot work should formula be used. ESPECIALLY in WIC cases or other government assistance programs.
While I can understand the sentiment, I have to disagree. I think if this happened, we'd have lots of people giving their babies straight cow's milk, which is far worse than formula. I think, instead of making formula nearly illegal, we should have laws that let mothers stay home longer. I think a big reason a lot of women quit is because they can't or don't want to pump at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
Maybe there could be a clause in the law to allow for pumping and bottle feeding in case of extreme circumstances.
I'm not sure I quite understand your comment. You didn't say whether you agreed with Giselle's "statement" or not. If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that women should be required to breastfeed, but some can be allowed to pump? I completely disagree. How on earth could any woman go to work after having a baby? The way our (in the US, anyway) system works, most households need to have two adults working. Also, I fully believe that every woman should have a right to choose to go back to work. If this law was in place, and pumping was only allowed in extreme circumstances...yikes.

All in all, breast is best. We all know that. You are never going to find me supporting something like this, though, because, in my opinion, having formula fed babies is a way lesser evil than not giving women the right to choose. Instead, we should be encouraging (not guilting) women to breastfeed and supporting those who choose to. It should be made as easy and accessible as possible.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1140 View Post
I'm not sure I quite understand your comment. You didn't say whether you agreed with Giselle's "statement" or not. If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that women should be required to breastfeed, but some can be allowed to pump? I completely disagree. How on earth could any woman go to work after having a baby? The way our (in the US, anyway) system works, most households need to have two adults working. Also, I fully believe that every woman should have a right to choose to go back to work. If this law was in place, and pumping was only allowed in extreme circumstances...yikes.
It was sarcasm, and I did say earlier in the thread that I thought Ms. Bundchen's comments were not helpful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Lactivism
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Lactivism › Gisele Bundchen says moms should be forced to breastfeed