or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can we talk GBS testing? - Page 2

post #21 of 41
http://www.motherlandmidwifery.com/d...BS_ml_0708.pdf

contains some helpful info on informed choices, IV abx, chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), as well and a bit about muscle injection
post #22 of 41
Awesome link! Thank you for sharing it here mommamisty!
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsalem View Post
A lot of hospitals will treat you as GBS positive if you have not been tested.
Whatever decision you make, I would just suggest checking with the hospital/midwives/OB whomever about this.

I did test and I *was* negative. In fact I was negative less than a week before I had my baby. Still I had prolonged ROM and despite having no fever (in either of us), perfectly healthy seeming baby with no signs of an infection of any kind they still refused to let him leave until after 48 hours of observation and wanted to do a full septic work up including spinal tap and blood work. I refused both and we left after 24 hours because my family doctor felt that it was a ridiculous policy and signed us out, but it was hospital policy and had he not I would've had to sign out AMA.

So testing doesn't necessarily mean a thing. When I questioned it I was told that your status can change so quickly that even it being done less than a week before doesn't mean you aren't positive at the time of delivery so they still follow risk factors.

As far as I can see that makes testing at all pretty pointless. After all if you are negative at testing but then positive at delivery your baby is at risk... and if you are positive at testing you could be negative at delivery and that would mean you and your baby just both got unnecessary antibiotics with the risk factors that go along with that including thrush and also leading to antibiotic resistance.

FWIW I only had the testing done with DS2 in case I had to transfer. I wanted to be able to avoid the hassle if I was negative and it did me no good.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
I wouldn't worry about this. From what I remember, they hook up the IV/heplock with saline fluids, then inject the antibiotic (by syringe) through the IV tube that goes into your arm. It's pretty quick, though they do like to let it go in slowly. Still...it's quick enough, because a nurse has to sit there slowly pressing down on the antibiotic syringe.
.
At the birth I spoke of, they hung a bag and it took about 15-20 minutes total for the ABX to get in. Again, this must be something that varies by hospital/provider because now that you mention it, I think I remember births in the past where a nurse sat there and pushed it through. Something to ask so you know what to expect.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post
I'm going to ask my midwife next week, but does anyone know what quantity of fluids they give you with the IV antibiotics if you test positive? I'm more concerned about over-hydration due to that IV than about the antibiotics themselves, but wasn't sure if I'm concerned over nothing if it's just a small amount of fluids they give with the medication.

And is injected antibiotics ever considered a reasonable alternative to IV? Definitely have more reading to do.
It is a very small amount of fluid that they dilute the antibx in -- like 50-100 mL.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
Whatever decision you make, I would just suggest checking with the hospital/midwives/OB whomever about this.

I did test and I *was* negative. In fact I was negative less than a week before I had my baby. Still I had prolonged ROM and despite having no fever (in either of us), perfectly healthy seeming baby with no signs of an infection of any kind they still refused to let him leave until after 48 hours of observation and wanted to do a full septic work up including spinal tap and blood work. I refused both and we left after 24 hours because my family doctor felt that it was a ridiculous policy and signed us out, but it was hospital policy and had he not I would've had to sign out AMA.

So testing doesn't necessarily mean a thing. When I questioned it I was told that your status can change so quickly that even it being done less than a week before doesn't mean you aren't positive at the time of delivery so they still follow risk factors.

As far as I can see that makes testing at all pretty pointless. After all if you are negative at testing but then positive at delivery your baby is at risk... and if you are positive at testing you could be negative at delivery and that would mean you and your baby just both got unnecessary antibiotics with the risk factors that go along with that including thrush and also leading to antibiotic resistance.

FWIW I only had the testing done with DS2 in case I had to transfer. I wanted to be able to avoid the hassle if I was negative and it did me no good.
That is ridiculous, Alison. That really stinks that you had to go through that. That really doesn't make any sense to me at all to do all that stuff just for prolonged rupture.
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post

I did test and I *was* negative. In fact I was negative less than a week before I had my baby. Still I had prolonged ROM and despite having no fever (in either of us), perfectly healthy seeming baby with no signs of an infection of any kind they still refused to let him leave until after 48 hours of observation and wanted to do a full septic work up including spinal tap and blood work. I refused both and we left after 24 hours because my family doctor felt that it was a ridiculous policy and signed us out, but it was hospital policy and had he not I would've had to sign out AMA.

So testing doesn't necessarily mean a thing. When I questioned it I was told that your status can change so quickly that even it being done less than a week before doesn't mean you aren't positive at the time of delivery so they still follow risk factors.

As far as I can see that makes testing at all pretty pointless. After all if you are negative at testing but then positive at delivery your baby is at risk... and if you are positive at testing you could be negative at delivery and that would mean you and your baby just both got unnecessary antibiotics with the risk factors that go along with that including thrush and also leading to antibiotic resistance.

FWIW I only had the testing done with DS2 in case I had to transfer. I wanted to be able to avoid the hassle if I was negative and it did me no good.
We did the test, only vaginally (I didn't know they did a rectal swap, how stupid!) and my MW gave me the stick and I went to the bathroom myself, so it was not as weird me doing it as someone else.

We did it in case of a transfer. If it is negative, we can tell the hospital it's negative and they will leave us alone. I don't think labor or directly postpartum is a fun time to fight policies and deal with rude pushy people and have them scowl at you when you do sign the AMA, I just don't want to deal with that.

I am going to talk to my MW about testing every week till the baby comes that way I'll know if I am positive or not closer to the birth time. If we are positive, we are going to do the Hibiclens and such in labor. Also, if we are positive, I may just decide to leave that info out if we transfer and just do the Hibiclens at the hospital.

I don't know, it depends on how soon she can get back to me with results.

She said if I'm negative, I can go longer after ROM with no antibiotics. If I'm positive, and my water never breaks, (as we're not planning on vag. exams either) or breaks late in labor, we won't have to do anything.


---I'm still on the swabbing of the butt, how stupid is that, seriously!
post #28 of 41
Just read this:

"(if positive, there
is an 87% chance you will carry GBS at birth; if negative,
there is a 96% chance you will not carry GBS at birth)."

It was on the link provided above. Good to know. If we are negative, we won't test again, but if we're positive, we'll do the echinacea, probiotic, garlic, etc and retest every week to see if it got rid of it.

If we are still positive when labor comes, we'll use the hibiclens. Our son has an allergy to penicillin, and that was NOT NOT NOT fun to go through, he had a reaction called erothema multifory (sp?) and it was torture! So I in no way want to facilitate this baby building up an allergy to penicillin.
post #29 of 41
I went ahead and let them test me. My midwife just swabbed vaginally, and like I was with my daughter, I'm negative.
post #30 of 41
I tested positive vaginally last time...didn't do the rectal swab.

My plan was to only do the abx if I developed other risk factors. My waters broke 18 hours before my DS was born and I had a stalled labour so I went ahead with the abx. It was done through a heplock with the abx diluted into the small bag of fluids. It took about 5 minutes to get into me and then they unhooked the heplock from the bag.

The heplock was a PITA though. It interfered with how my wrist could bend and that really bothered me while I was trying to find a position that felt right to labour in.

This time we will test again, to make it easier in case of transfer, but will only use the abx if I develop other risk factors. My 2nd baby was born in a 2 hour labour, so if my water doesn't break in advance again then I could get the abx for no reason if I have another precipitous labour.

Also, the abx ruined my flora. My baby and I struggled with thrush for months afterwards. And, related or not, my baby also had issues with ear infections and was non-reactive to the abx he was given for those. I wonder if it's because of the abx we got while I was in labour.
post #31 of 41
Also, I'm currently doing a regime of echinachea, garlic, and vitamin C...I start the tea tree oil tampons (in 6 hours a day for 6 days) tomorrow as my appointment to test for the gbs is next week.
post #32 of 41
My midwife suggested I take GRAPESEED extract. She said she's heard that helps. I made a mistake and got grapefruit seed extract, but then went back and got the right stuff. I did have the test done and just got my results back today. I'm negative!
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houla05 View Post
My midwife suggested I take GRAPESEED extract. She said she's heard that helps. I made a mistake and got grapefruit seed extract, but then went back and got the right stuff. I did have the test done and just got my results back today. I'm negative!
I think you mean grapefruit seed extract. Grape seed extract is antiinflammatory but won't help with the gbs.

GrapeFRUIT seed extract is antimicrobial...it's good for ridding of GBS, and is also a great way to get rid of thrush. You can use it topically in a swab/wipe or you can also mix it with water/juice and take it internally.
post #34 of 41
After a good discussion with my midwife I will not be having the test this time. We will treat based on risk factors and would have done so regardless of the result so really there wasn't much point in testing for me.
post #35 of 41
I did it last time, doing it this time, too. Last time I was positive and got the antibiotics, this time I'll do the same if I'm positive again. Although this time, since I'm anticipating not being on pitocin, I'll do a hep lock instead of an IV if I end up being positive again.

It's one of those things for me where, the risk of bad-thing-happening is small, but I'd like to make it smaller.
post #36 of 41
My midwives offer the test, it's optional not required. In the case of a positive they offer iv antibiodics or Hibiclens, with Hibiclens as their recommendation. Or you can choose to just to Hibiclens in the case of prolonged rupture of membranes or signs of infection. The local hospital they transfer to DOES recognize Hibinclens as treatment, and you can avoid antibiotics if transferred. If you don't test you can also choose Hibiclens and/or Hibiclens w/risk factors.

I choose to test and do Hibiclens if positive. I was positive with DD, negative with DS. And now that I had a Z-pack for nasty sinus infection a few weeks ago, I suspect I might be positive. Although I'm feeling all of this is irrelevant as the baby is still BREECH!
post #37 of 41
Thanks for starting this thread; I've been thinking of posting about this. My swab is on Monday. Planning to decline abx regardless (unless prolonged ROM) but would like to have a negative swab in my chart b/c even though I've tested positive in the past I don't think they will hassle me about it as much if I have a neg this time. As far as I can remember, they do vaginal and anal at the birth center. I've been doing a bunch of stuff (diet, supplements, suppositories, washes, tea) for the past week and a half to try and make sure I get a negative swab, and I'll probably try the Hibiclens before my test. I've been feeling a little yeasty for the last 2-3 weeks, though, so that is making me nervous. Also, I have been consistently sleep-deprived for the last 2 1/2 years (DD doesn't sleep much and also does not STTN) so my immune system is not going to be what it could be. I'm not confident that I will screen negative.

I tested positive with DD, then cleared it for a retest 2 weeks later (I just cut out all sugar, took some probiotics and some immune supplements that I had around anyway). Then told by head midwife it didn't matter and I would need abx anyway. I didn't feel like fighting it, so I got them. There was only time for one dose. They hung the bag and I don't remember it being a big deal. This was before they said I was in "Active labor" so after I got my first dose they sent me on my way. They put a heplock in when I came back and checked in, but I had DD within 2 hours of checking in so they never put anything in it. I found it extremely uncomfortable, though, and they took forever to take it out. Luckily we didn't have any side effects from the abx but we have a family history of allergy to penicillin and I am prone to yeasty stuff so I was/am nervous about it. B/c I only had time for one dose they kept me for 12 hours at the birth center and had me watch DD's temp really closely.

Regardless, I'm planning to take vit. C and eat eggs to strengthen my sac, minimize vag. exams, watch the baby closely, etc. I'll probably take a break from my "regimen" for a week or two after my test and then restart around 38 1/2 or 39 weeks. If I screen pos. this time I will almost certainly do the hibiclens during labor. Don't know how on-board the birth center is with helping with that but I can have that conversation with them if I do test pos.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

But, I do know *some* people, when doing the test themselves, to take the swab out of the package, and put it in the test tube container...and then hand it back to the nurse...

My midwife before told me she didn't care *where* I stuck it.
Wouldn't it be obvious when they tried to culture the test that an actual vagina hadn't been swabbed... I'm thinking it would be too clean or there woudn't be anything on the swab? Would the test come back from the lab invalid? Even if your midwife didn't care, wouldn't she need to have valid result in your chart as a CYA? Just wondering about how this would actually work in practice....
post #39 of 41
I have been wondering the exact same thing!
post #40 of 41
With #1 I was neg, and just got my results today for #2 - pos. How about that.
I'm not worried. My MW thinks that my colony is pretty small because I've never had any vaginal infection. Not so much as a bubble-bath induced yeast infection.
I'm going to do my probiotics again and hibi when labor hits, to be on the safe side, but other than that no big deal.
Home stretch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2010