or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › I called 911- tell me I wasn't being ridiculous.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I called 911- tell me I wasn't being ridiculous. - Page 6

post #101 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post
I don't think adults get to make decisions re: basic safety, that can lead to injuring their children. Riding a bike in the situation described, sans helmet - is a no brainer. Those kids could have been killed or worse.

Again, I've done CPR, more than once, on an child with a traumatic injury - that could have been prevented. It's not pleasant. Being with a doctor who tells a family their child is dead - also not fun.

Maybe this person is simply unaware of the importance of bike helmets in a busy urban setting like the one described? Maybe they get spoken to, given assistance re: getting helmets? People don't have to jump to the worse case scenario.
Well, there are studies saying not vaxxing isn't safe. should we call 911 every time we see someone declining to vax their kids? Technically (statistically) c-sections are safer for the baby - do you think that we should take away the right to birth vaginally?
post #102 of 158
I read a report recently(in a password locked medical journal, my dad got it up for me) that elective c-sections are associated with a considerably higher infant mortality rate (4X) compared with vaginal deliveries. Vaginal birth is safer for babies and mommies.
post #103 of 158
What I got from the op is not erratic driving. He was in the bike lane. Needed to make a left turn, the biker would *have* to go through multiple lanes and incoming traffic to make a left turn. There is not other way. That's not illegal or erratic, that is locamoting.

Tricycles have a different center of gravity than a bike and with extra weight on the back have much different momentum. I assume the biker was making a left turn and was not completely familar with riding the trike with the extra weight and or a flat tire.

Would you call 911 if you saw someone with a flat tire pulling into a gas station and not doing an excellent job because of the flat tire? Maybe taking longer than normal to get across the intersection? Or someone driving a car they are less familar with and cutting someone off because the blind spot is different? Happens all the time. One could even say the person was driving erratically, but normally we wouldn't call the cops. What if someone was making a left turn, miscalucated how fast oncoming traffic was coming and *almost* got hit/caused an accident (a common occurance) would you call then? O

A bike/trike is a vehicle and allowed on the road. In some places there are helmet laws. In some places there are not.
post #104 of 158
I am pretty sure noone here is going to change their views. I am just glad that I live in a city large enough that if the police were called for something like in the op, they would say thanks to the caller and then hang up and roll their eyes. They've got "crimes" to fight, not personal opinions to validate.
post #105 of 158
post #106 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
What I got from the op is not erratic driving. He was in the bike lane. Needed to make a left turn, the biker would *have* to go through multiple lanes and incoming traffic to make a left turn. There is not other way. That's not illegal or erratic, that is locamoting.
I think if it had been as simple as all that, there may not have been an issue. The OP said "He was just weaving in and out all over the place!" and that at least one driver had to slam on the breaks. I'm going to take her at her word that this wasn't just typical locomoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
Tricycles have a different center of gravity than a bike and with extra weight on the back have much different momentum. I assume the biker was making a left turn and was not completely familar with riding the trike with the extra weight and or a flat tire.
If he were unfamiliar with riding a trike, perhaps riding with two small children on the busy streets of Chicago might not have been the best way to practice. If he realized that it was more than he could handle once he was out, he could have pulled over at any time. And if he had a flat, he should have pulled over just like a car likely would. No one should continue to drive a vehicle motored or not when it's unstable. On the plus side, you can walk a bike unlike a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
Would you call 911 if you saw someone with a flat tire pulling into a gas station and not doing an excellent job because of the flat tire? Maybe taking longer than normal to get across the intersection?
Probably not since they were already off the roads and the tire was the issue, but I might think the person was not very bright to say the least for continuing to operate a vehicle that was not roadworthy. There are times when continuing to drive to the station might be the best option, but there are times when the best thing to do is pull over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
Or someone driving a car they are less familar with and cutting someone off because the blind spot is different? Happens all the time. One could even say the person was driving erratically, but normally we wouldn't call the cops. What if someone was making a left turn, miscalucated how fast oncoming traffic was coming and *almost* got hit/caused an accident (a common occurance) would you call then?
I probably wouldn't call for a single error if it seemed like some random isolated incident. But if a driver was making multiple "miscalculations," yes I might call because they're a hazard and they could be impaired. It really depends on the situation.

But to be perfectly honest, I'd probably cut even less slack to a cyclist with a kid on board, helmet or not, making repeated miscalculations. The margin for error is much less on a bike. Most people I've seen with kids on bikes are extremely cautious because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
A bike/trike is a vehicle and allowed on the road.
Of course they are. And they need to exercise caution and obey traffic laws just like the motorists.
post #107 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I am just glad that I live in a city large enough that if the police were called for something like in the op, they would say thanks to the caller and then hang up and roll their eyes. They've got "crimes" to fight, not personal opinions to validate.
Yeah, they don't have "crimes" in Chicago.

ETA - In case it wasn't clear, I was being a little sarcastic because I was so amused by the comment, but what I meant was Chicago is a large city with actual crime, and yet the cops managed to respond to the call. Even in big cities, cops respond to traffic calls and small time stuff. They can prioritize if need be.
post #108 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I am pretty sure noone here is going to change their views. I am just glad that I live in a city large enough that if the police were called for something like in the op, they would say thanks to the caller and then hang up and roll their eyes. They've got "crimes" to fight, not personal opinions to validate.
Personal opinions?? Did you even read the OP? This guy was breaking the law, so she called the police.
post #109 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I am just glad that I live in a city large enough that if the police were called for something like in the op, they would say thanks to the caller and then hang up and roll their eyes. They've got "crimes" to fight...
I'm glad I live in a town small enough that the police care about the lives of all the residents and aren't overwhelmed dealing with violent crimes.

Cops around here don't roll their eyes. They embody the term "civil servant".
post #110 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
Yeah, they don't have "crimes" in Chicago.
I noticed that as well!! Murder...Rape...Yeah...
post #111 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Well, there are studies saying not vaxxing isn't safe. should we call 911 every time we see someone declining to vax their kids? Technically (statistically) c-sections are safer for the baby - do you think that we should take away the right to birth vaginally?
If you worked where I did - you would realize how ridiculous that comparison is.

If you haven't seen a traumatic brain injury in a child, that could have been prevented - you won't understand it.

Studies re: vax are up for debate. A child's body vs. a moving vehicle is not.

Edit: I also live in an extremely large metropolitan area. Our police force has time to fight so called 'real crime' - and respond to situations like the one described in the OP.

The concern outlined was hardly a personal opinion. It was potentially a fatality involving children. One that could be avoided. Full stop.
post #112 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
Personal opinions?? Did you even read the OP? This guy was breaking the law, so she called the police.
What law was he breaking? THere are no mandatory helmet laws in Chicago.
post #113 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
What law was he breaking? THere are no mandatory helmet laws in Chicago.
From the op's description - he was driving recklessly.
post #114 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
What law was he breaking? THere are no mandatory helmet laws in Chicago.
He drove into ONCOMING TRAFFIC.

From my OP, just in case anyone didn't catch what I said..
Quote:
he merged left into the traffic lane, and cut off a car (car slammed on their brakes). He then went into the oncoming traffic lane, and the oncoming car was about 5secs away from him. He was just weaving in and out all over the place!
The bike lane is at the right of the traffic lane. He was not yet at the intersection. He went into the lane to the left of him, cut off a car who had to slam on their brakes, then merged left across into the ONCOMING TRAFFIC LANE. Not to make a left turn. He didn't go to the left turn lane. He went into the oncoming traffic's lane. I'm pretty sure that it was a solid yellow line, ie, no passing. Then he came back into the correct lanes, and continued his weaving in and out of traffic.

In regards to my calling 911 in the past- yes, it has been for REAL emergencies. DHs grandmother getting ill. Shots fired near our home. People breaking into cars on our block (including attempting to break into my DHs). Things like that. The only time I have called 911 on a negligent parent was once when a mom was driving erratically outside of Babies R Us with her toddler and preschool aged child hanging out of the windows.
post #115 of 158
I wouldnt call. But then again I let my kid do all kinds of dangerous things and somehow riding on the back of a parents bike doesnt *sound* that dangerous to me. I am a HUGE believer in parents choice.

Dangerous to you doesnt not equate to dangerous to me.
post #116 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I am pretty sure noone here is going to change their views. I am just glad that I live in a city large enough that if the police were called for something like in the op, they would say thanks to the caller and then hang up and roll their eyes. They've got "crimes" to fight, not personal opinions to validate.
Wow. Really? Nah, 450+ homicides last year? No biggie. (That's sarcasm.)

Also, in Chicago, our Police SUVs are used for traffic patrol.. (I am the daughter of a retired Chicago Police Officer, so I know a thing or two) and an SUV showed up to the scene. I'm sure our beat cops know how to prioritize themselves and won't take a reckless driver call over a shots fired call.
post #117 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
I agree.
Also I thought 911 was for emergencies? This while dangerous certainly was not one.
Where I live, both 911 and non-emergency calls are dispatched by the same operators. I've called non-emergency and had a 911 operator answer my call. 'Round here, if you call 911 because you don't know/remember the non-emergency number, they're okay with that and will patch you through to an operator whose job it is to handle the non-emergency calls.

OP, I probably would have called too, just for peace of mind. I would be bothered by the girls not wearing helmets and the erratic driving. A thought I had when reading your first post is that maybe the driver of the trike is unaware of helmet laws or doesn't know where to get helmets for the children. If the SUV cops deal with traffic control, then it's likely that a big part of their job is outreach and education for cyclists. They could have told the man that the girls need helmets if they're going to ride on the back of the trike, and could give him info on where to get them for cheap (or even free) if he truly is too poor to afford them.
post #118 of 158
I think the OP's intentions were good and came from a place of caring. It's hard to know what the full consequence of calling was, and if we could see the future and the past, all the things that led to the situation and the ramifications of calling the police, maybe we'd make a different decision, but I think her decision was a good one. Based on what you saw, WindyCityMom, you made the decision that felt right.

I do like junipermoon's comments about the poverty of the situation, and I can get that angle of it. I know people who have done things that aren't legal or safe because they were desperate and had to do what they had to do to get by. There are risks, sure, but we feel like the chances will be with us that it will all work out. If I thought the guy was weaving because he had some problems with his tires and he was trying to fix that, I wouldn't have called. But if he's pulling out into oncoming traffic with so little time, as well as faulty equipment, that would disturbe me more. I'd think maybe being talked to by police might at least spur him to be more cautious the next time he has to make a left turn into oncoming traffic. Of course, I've made dumb driving errors and then after the fact thought about how I was lucky it all worked out, so maybe he just seriously misjudged.

I disagree that people who ride without bicycle helmets have suicidal tendencies. There are tons of bicycle and motorcycle riders around the world, and I'd bet the majority of them don't wear helmets. I'm not sure if I would have called, because, honestly, I have seen some hairy, hairy bike and motorcycle riding with children involved, no helmets. Not in this country, but relatively recent enough that the situation as described wouldn't have fazed me as much as it might have at one point.

However, I do think that bicycle riding in the US is different than in other countries, heck, it's different from city to city, I'm sure, but most every city I've been in in the US does not have bike riders in the same numbers as big cities in many other countries, and I think many drivers in the US have a different sort of attitude about sharing the road. As much as we might be told to practice defensive driving, there are so many incidents that could be avoided if both drivers did, but sometimes people really see it as a right of way situation and figure it will be the other guy's fault.
post #119 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
Minors without bike helmets is not illegal where you are? It's been illegal since I was a kid everywhere we've lived. Under 18, helmet required, no exceptions.
Many, many states do not have helmet laws. Mine is one of them. You do not even have to wear one on a MOTORCYCLE. Wearing one on a bike is...unheard of.

I would have been concerned about the seemingly erratic driving. IT could have been a simple mistake though...I've been driving for about 15 years now, and I can say with all honesty that there have been a few times where I simply did not see an oncoming vehicle, or some other potentially dangerous issue. The seat he made wouldn't have bothered me at all. I've been considering modifiying a bike that way myself, much, much cheaper than a $2000 specialized euro bike meant for transporting families. And the helmet thing is completely legal here and uh..ya, I don't call 911 to report completely legal activity.
post #120 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
What if someone was making a left turn, miscalucated how fast oncoming traffic was coming and *almost* got hit/caused an accident (a common occurance) would you call then?
If they cut someone off first and then pulled into a gas station right there? Probably. However, I wouldn't expect the fast response the OP got about the bike guy.

I wouldn't bother calling if they'd already left the area though.

And I wouldn't, in either case, be trying to get the cops to arrest him or whatever, it'd be a matter of wanting them to come to the area and check it out.

And I'd call for the helmets too because it IS illegal in the OP's city to not have helmets. http://www.bhsi.org/mandator.htm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › I called 911- tell me I wasn't being ridiculous.