or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › I called 911- tell me I wasn't being ridiculous.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I called 911- tell me I wasn't being ridiculous. - Page 5

post #81 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I feel strongly that it's the parents' rights to decide what constitutes danger.
Many parents decide that beating their children doesn't constitute danger. There needs to be some line where we as society look out for the rights that young children have to living to adulthood. Dodging in and out of traffic isn't safe in a car much less on thin, difficult to see bike. I am all for parents making decisions about safety, but not when it comes to things life threatening decisions like dodging in and out of moving traffic, not using car seats, and beating kids up.
post #82 of 158
I would have called the non-emergency number - I have it stored in my phone for stuff like that.
post #83 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
I wouldn't have called. I'm w/ your DH - its not your job to make sure everyone is being 'safe' all the time, and its just not your job.
I agree.
Also I thought 911 was for emergencies? This while dangerous certainly was not one.
post #84 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post


http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

I love the site I posted above. We don't use helmets either
That website is really neat!
post #85 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by midstreammama View Post
That website is really neat!
I liked it too, I passed it on!
post #86 of 158
I would have, honestly. He put his kids and other drivers at risk and that's not okay. Good for you for calling.
post #87 of 158
WOW, I am totally scratching my head here in confusion. I see posts here all the time about calling the cops or CPS because you see some kid who might not have had lunch or doesn't have shorts on- which IMO is way overboard, but then a guy biking without helmets on his kids through traffic (not next to traffic) and people say don't call. Really, really confused here. I have never in my life called the police about a parent (called twice for robberies and twice after shootings), but in this case, I would have called. Really interesting to read everyones perspective.
post #88 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
Also I thought 911 was for emergencies? This while dangerous certainly was not one.
The 911 system works a little differently in each area. Alternate numbers are used in some areas but not all, and again they work a little differently everywhere. It sounds like the OP felt the children and everyone on the road for that matter were in danger and the situation needed immediate police response, and the recording on 311 said to call 911 if police services were needed. Seems reasonable to me to use 911 in that situation. And apparently emergency services felt the same since they didn't hassle her when she called, and they dispatched a cop right away.

I'm all for live and let live, but I also think people should look out for each other to some extent. I'm not going to call the cops or CPS every time I see a parenting decision I disagree with personally. I saw a mother have a less than stellar parenting moment outside of the store the other day which included some physical punishment for her child. I kept walking. It was nothing illegal and none of my business. But if I see someone putting their children and others in harms way like driving a bike into oncoming traffic and weaving in and out of traffic causing drivers to slam on their brakes, yeah, I'm calling. I see a pretty clear distinction there, and I'm kind of surprised it's being compared to formula feeding or vaccinating by some, but different strokes I guess.
post #89 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
I would not have called but I might have gone up to him and told him to watch out, that kids on a bike even like that need helmets and harnesses, according to the law, and I'd hate to see him get a ticket. "Maybe they'd go easier if you stayed on the sidewalk. Sorry to bother you, I just would hate to see your fun ruined!"
Bikes are illegal on sidewalks. More cyclists actually get hurt on sidewalks than on streets.

I think one issue that got missed is that apparently the OP has called 911 multiple times in the past from her husband's comment that she shouldn't have called again and her admission that it has been a year since she's called. So whether we would have called, I think her husband's concern is that she's too free to call.
post #90 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
I think one issue that got missed is that apparently the OP has called 911 multiple times in the past from her husband's comment that she shouldn't have called again and her admission that it has been a year since she's called. So whether we would have called, I think her husband's concern is that she's too free to call.
The OP also said she's "poor," and according to her username and location apparently lives in a big city with a high crime rate. It's not hard to imagine that she might see a fair number of things that might be grounds for a call to 911. I assumed she had called in the past for good reason. Sometimes people living in big cities especially with high crime rates get a bit desensitized which might be why her DH has the attitude he does. That doesn't make the OP wrong though for choosing to get involved.
post #91 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
Also I thought 911 was for emergencies? This while dangerous certainly was not one.
My dad, who is a retired police officer, disagrees with you.

The police know that civilians are not going to make the perfect decision every time. But they would much rather us call when not entirely "necessary" than not call when it turns out that it was.

If you have to err, err on the side of caution.
post #92 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
WOW, I am totally scratching my head here in confusion. I see posts here all the time about calling the cops or CPS because you see some kid who might not have had lunch or doesn't have shorts on- which IMO is way overboard, but then a guy biking without helmets on his kids through traffic (not next to traffic) and people say don't call. Really, really confused here. I have never in my life called the police about a parent (called twice for robberies and twice after shootings), but in this case, I would have called. Really interesting to read everyones perspective.

I am with you on this one. I posted a thread about leaving kids in a car....say putting them in the carseats and walking 10 feet to lock the door. (Which I do often). I was surprised at the responses. There are some people that believe you must have a hand on the car AT ALL times or it is wrong. I don't see the harm in leaving children in a carseat, with the windows rolled down for 10 seconds to lock a door, but weaving in and out of traffic on the back of a bike without helmets is totally okay?
post #93 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post


http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

I love the site I posted above. We don't use helmets either
Well of course you don't, this video is of a "crazy busy street" in your area. http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=yO05qx...eature=related

Here's a picture of a small, not particularly crowded, street in a medium sized city in the U.S. http://blogs.indystar.com/starwatch/broadripple12.jpg in an area where bicycle riding is immensely popular.

What is safe when there's 90% bikes and 1% cars and some public transport is far different than what is even remotely close to acceptable when you're the only bike on a road with 6 lanes each way.

I imagine that the intersection in the OP was more like this except the OP's intersection had a 3rd street coming in as well and more lanes. (Please note that that is light traffic for Indianapolis, and Chicago traffic is always heavier than Indy traffic.)

Question, WindyCityMom, did he run a red light or was the car he almost had a head-on collision with just not at the light yet? Because if it was sitting at the light, it wouldn't have had to brake.
post #94 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
Honestly, If I saw a guy with a make shift seat for his kids on a bike with no helmets I would assume he (they) were doing the best they could.
And needed assistance getting bike helmets, bus passes, any number of other things that people who are most in need of having have the least chance of finding out about because they don't have the time even if they know where to go to ask about resources.
post #95 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I am with you on this one. I posted a thread about leaving kids in a car....say putting them in the carseats and walking 10 feet to lock the door. (Which I do often). I was surprised at the responses. There are some people that believe you must have a hand on the car AT ALL times or it is wrong. I don't see the harm in leaving children in a carseat, with the windows rolled down for 10 seconds to lock a door, but weaving in and out of traffic on the back of a bike without helmets is totally okay?
I would assume its the same people who say no big deal about both things, or overreact about both things.

FTR, I think both are no big deal
post #96 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
And needed assistance getting bike helmets, bus passes, any number of other things that people who are most in need of having have the least chance of finding out about because they don't have the time even if they know where to go to ask about resources.
Or...some people like riding their bikes. And understand that living life comes with risks. We all get to weigh those risks for ourselves. Or should. More people are injured in cars every day than riding bikes (even accounting for the fact that there are more cars on the rode). Do you suggest people stop driving their cars?
post #97 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Or...some people like riding their bikes. And understand that living life comes with risks. We all get to weigh those risks for ourselves. Or should. More people are injured in cars every day than riding bikes (even accounting for the fact that there are more cars on the rode). Do you suggest people stop driving their cars?
If they can't afford seatbelts? Heck ya.
post #98 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Or...some people like riding their bikes. And understand that living life comes with risks. We all get to weigh those risks for ourselves. Or should. More people are injured in cars every day than riding bikes (even accounting for the fact that there are more cars on the rode). Do you suggest people stop driving their cars?
I don't think adults get to make decisions re: basic safety, that can lead to injuring their children. Riding a bike in the situation described, sans helmet - is a no brainer. Those kids could have been killed or worse.

Again, I've done CPR, more than once, on an child with a traumatic injury - that could have been prevented. It's not pleasant. Being with a doctor who tells a family their child is dead - also not fun.

Maybe this person is simply unaware of the importance of bike helmets in a busy urban setting like the one described? Maybe they get spoken to, given assistance re: getting helmets? People don't have to jump to the worse case scenario.
post #99 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I am with you on this one. I posted a thread about leaving kids in a car....say putting them in the carseats and walking 10 feet to lock the door. (Which I do often). I was surprised at the responses. There are some people that believe you must have a hand on the car AT ALL times or it is wrong. I don't see the harm in leaving children in a carseat, with the windows rolled down for 10 seconds to lock a door, but weaving in and out of traffic on the back of a bike without helmets is totally okay?
I doubt it's the same people answering the same two questions. MDC is quite large.
post #100 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post
Maybe they get spoken to, given assistance re: getting helmets? People don't have to jump to the worse case scenario.
I don't get the assumption that the kids will be taken away if the authorities become involved but couldn't possibly be killed if the authorities aren't involved.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › I called 911- tell me I wasn't being ridiculous.