or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › September 2010 › Would you let them do it?? Opinions please! *UPDATE*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you let them do it?? Opinions please! *UPDATE* - Page 2

post #21 of 32
My HELLP syndrome progressed very rapidly the first time. The second I didn't get that far. If you have time, you may want to check out preeclampsia.org. Pre-e is usually much less severe in subsequent pregnancies....but still scary because we all remember our first time. Have you done a 24h urine this time? It may give you some more info...it gives a much better picture than a dipstick. If your 24h urine protein is getting up there, go all out to get that baby out....if not maybe give it another day or 2 and reassess.
post #22 of 32
in your situation i would do it. i think its worth a try at almost 39 weeks.

I had mine stripped with my first DD at 38 weeks (OB didn't even ask) i had some bleeding and contractions but my body wasn't ready yet, so no labor and i would never allow it again unless i was 41-42 weeks or had health issues ..
post #23 of 32
DDCC

have you looked into the theories connecting lots of extra protein with a lower pre e risk? My midwife told me to really eat up protein to avoid pre e and I have no idea if that helped me even though I didn't have any bp issues, but it certainly can't hurt to really push the protein in your diet. If you aren't vegan, I found cottage cheese and yogurt and peanut butter to be my favorite protein sources, especially when I couldn't eat much. I tried snacking on those the most.

Otherwise, in your situation, I think I would seriously consider doing a membrane sweep. Normally I'm a do nothing til I absolutely have to do something (which for my last pregnancy would have been 41 weeks because at 42 I would have had to birth in the hospital most likely with a pit induc) but with your history of going from fine to deathly ill in a matter of a day or so, I'd be very worried about that happening again. There is a risk for rupture, but I think if you trust the person doing it (so I'd try to get pam, not bev) it'll be a good choice for you especially if you are doing everything else you can to encourage your body to get ready like the RRL and EPO already mentioned.
post #24 of 32
I'm about as non-interventive as you can get. I've declined all routine testing, I'm not even allowing doppler/ultasound use, etc. I would normally NEVER consider prenatal VEs, much less a membrane strip at 38wks.

That being said, I can completely relate to the stress and pressure you must be feeling right now. My biggest fear is having another c/s. I know within myself that if I ended up with another one, it would truly be necessary and that the safety of my baby would be the most important thing. That knowledge (and willingness to do what is necessary) does not stop me from being mind-numbingly afraid of the possibility. If I was being faced with that very real option and was in your shoes (and if I'm being completely honest) I would probably consent. I don't think anyone who has not been through that really knows what it's like.

That being said, I don't think it's a decision you need to make right now. I would take it one thing at a time. Maybe you can make the decision hinge on something...e.g. "If I have any bloodwork come back with elevated enzymes, it's time to do XYZ" or something like that.

I like to focus on doing "the next best thing". Ideally I would have no interventions whatsoever. At the same time, there are ideals aren't possible to meet and you have to start thinking about what that next best thing is. I personally think that a membrane stripping is probably LESS risky than black/blue cohosh or even castor oil...for me, that would be something to try before I went to the other kinds of non-medical induction methods.

I hope, hope, hope that your BP and bloodwork remain somewhat stable and that none of this will be necessary. I hope also that you can find some peace of mind no matter what happens.

post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 
I really, really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions! I updated in the OP with yesterday's results.
post #26 of 32
Praying that you hold out safely till Monday. That BP is starting to get really scary! I will be thinking "open cervix" thoughts for you. Watch out for those "other" pre-e signs, okay??
post #27 of 32
*hugs* Hope that you and baby stay healthy.
post #28 of 32
Keep well, stay healthy! The blood pressure and sickness would really wear me out.

I'm sort of surprised that they would do an induction for a VBAC -- I've read, somewhere, that pitocin induced contractions are harder on the uterus and increase risk of uterine rupture, which isn't what you want. But I'm sitting in a hospital now, so I guess the medical model is seeping into me. I'm also trying to come to terms with having a c-section in a few weeks' time.

Anyway, take care of yourself and baby as best you can, and get whatever help you need!
post #29 of 32
I think I'd try to get them to do a gentle induction, if possible and if the sweep doesn't get you going. There have been several mamas over on the VBAC board who were successfully induced (but you probably know that since you cross-posted).

Good luck! I'll be thinking VBAC thoughts for you.
post #30 of 32
Thinking of you....I'm now in the same place but no cervical changes, so sweeping isn't even an option at this point. My recheck is Monday. Spontaneous labor vibes for us both.
post #31 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
Keep well, stay healthy! The blood pressure and sickness would really wear me out.

I'm sort of surprised that they would do an induction for a VBAC -- I've read, somewhere, that pitocin induced contractions are harder on the uterus and increase risk of uterine rupture, which isn't what you want. But I'm sitting in a hospital now, so I guess the medical model is seeping into me. I'm also trying to come to terms with having a c-section in a few weeks' time.

Anyway, take care of yourself and baby as best you can, and get whatever help you need!
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
I think I'd try to get them to do a gentle induction, if possible and if the sweep doesn't get you going. There have been several mamas over on the VBAC board who were successfully induced (but you probably know that since you cross-posted).

Good luck! I'll be thinking VBAC thoughts for you.

Regarding induction of a VBAC. Yes, there is an increased risk of uterine rupture. I believe it goes up from 0.5% to 0.7-0.9% with a pitocin induction - however, it still much less of a risk to mom and baby than a RCS. They will not induce with a strong prostaglandin such as Cervadil for a VBAC - the rupture risk goes up to I believe 2.3% with a Cervadil induction.

So for me, I'll definitely take the pitocin induction and the trial of labor before I'll head straight for a RCS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleVet View Post
Thinking of you....I'm now in the same place but no cervical changes, so sweeping isn't even an option at this point. My recheck is Monday. Spontaneous labor vibes for us both.
((hugs)) so sorry you are dealing with this too. I know it's so stressful and worrisome! Hopefully we both show some cervical change on Monday!
post #32 of 32
Sending you lots of positive thoughts. Keep talking to your baby. I had many heart-to-hearts with our first (twins) when I was past due and the doctors were getting nervous. I ended up going into labor the morning before my induction date. I think getting it all out--the fears, the needs, the dreams--can help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2010
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › September 2010 › Would you let them do it?? Opinions please! *UPDATE*