or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › k12+/Virtual Schools Fall 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

k12+/Virtual Schools Fall 2010 - Page 2

post #21 of 179
Thread Starter 
No, they don't spend five hours.

I think some days we were up to 3-3 1/2 hours but those were typically days where we were working ahead, or where we went far afield (ie, history lesson on Australia that ended up becoming an online search through Australian animals and the sounds they make, and making anzac biscuits) - far beyond what the lesson wanted you to do.

Most days for us with dd1 were about 2 hours - sometimes more, sometimes less. However, they DO want us to put in the hours they expect (accountability thing since brick and mortar kids are putting in the LONG days I guess). Anyway, I would just let the default 'hours' be the hours I submitted when I would do attendance. So, even if we finished math in 10 minutes, I'd enter as if we'd done the full hour.

When you know your dd 'gets' something, then you don't have to keep going through more iterations of the same lesson - most lessons have 3-4 or more different ways of doing the learning goal for that lesson; once they get it, do the assessment and move on to a different lesson. I knew this intellectually but struggled with doing it in practice at first, I felt like I was skipping or cheating or something. But really, they themselves emphasize that once your kiddo understands, say, that 2 + 2 = 4, then don't waste their time and yours continuing to repeat that knowledge.
post #22 of 179
Thread Starter 


Since I entered our last set of math assessments, and tonight, the WYVA website has transitioned to the "new" OLS system.

(Pay no attention to my emoticons above or panic below, those who are new to K12 - this is just a change-averse person in full panic mode)


It looks like I can't just default what they expect the lessons to take, timewise, while entering attendance (ugh). It just doesn't look like it's going to be as quick and easy to use.

Please, please, tell me someone here (Cat?) has been entering assessments/attendance in it and finding it better than the old system?! I'm freaking out a little here.

Got an email from our 1st grade teacher today, too. It sounds like we'll have more elluminate sessions this year. Ugh. It looks like I'll need to go buy a new set of headphones/mic that actually work so that Ina can do that. I'm worrying a little - we had such a rapport with our previous teacher, who was really relaxed about how we did things (and supportive) - I hope this new teacher is the same way.
post #23 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
:

It looks like I can't just default what they expect the lessons to take, timewise, while entering attendance (ugh). It just doesn't look like it's going to be as quick and easy to use.
If you click on the "Enter Time" field boxes in the new OLS it will default to the minimum time for each course. It _will_ auto pop! That's what it does for me at least!

Hi to the new and old 'faces'! This is our second year with our k12 charter. This year our rising 4th grader will be joining us and I hope it meets her expectations! Our 1/2nd grader has kept going a bit through the summer and ODD has already started her LA book work and novel reading. They are so ready to get started.

We will get access to the online courses on Monday and I can't wait because I want to see all the changes. We have the new math program this year as well as the new OLS so I'm happy we will get some time to explore before school officially starts. I like a lot of the changes to the new OLS so far; easy access to kmail as well as convenience of switching between students. It looks like the math assessments/checkpoints are all online and I'm not sure I like that yet. We'll have to see!
post #24 of 179
Quote:
Please be honest, do kids really spend 5 hours a day doing the work?
Oh, I didn't mean for kindergarten. And I wrote that wrong too. My oldest (doing the online) is going into 3rd grade. It's 3.5 hours a day.

Thus far we've just done the textbook style learning. Kindergarten work can be done in 15 minutes. With my oldest he already knew everythign that K4 and K5 was supposed to teach (it's pretty basic), but they had to have him do the assessments before he could move up, so they said "Well, just do the send-in pages, don't worry about hte rest of it." So we did. Up to now our hs has been *very* relaxed. The online courses will be a new experience for us.
post #25 of 179
My older kids took the placement test and wanted to know their scores. So I called Connections and they said they couldn't give me scores but could tell me how they did. D age 8 has never been in public/private school. She did really well and will be going in 3rd grade. R who's 11 was failing when I took him out of public school also did really well and will be going in 6th grade. We've tried several different curriculums, did time 4 learning, unschooling, and even the last half of the year no schooling and I'm proud of them. We were very relaxed and they still were able to do just fine. I guess I've always second guessed myself thinking that they were way behind.

I received the program guide and it shows the different electives. How many electives will a 6th grader have? Or will he not have any since he's new?
post #26 of 179
Sorry, our OLS doesn't even have our courses loaded to do until Monday, and we aren't logging hours until the 25th. If I was able to say how the time logging on the new OLS works, I'd happily share. They just updated our OLS here this past Monday, so I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate it myself right now. Although I do admit, I like the changes in the OLS for contacting my teacher, I just click "CONTACT TEACHERS" then choose which kid I'm contacting about and the to and student is already filled in for me instead of having to choose from the lists for all that stuff. I am REALLY looking forward to Monday now even more than before because its sooooo close!!!! lol

And to add to the fun of getting our lessons up on Monday, I get to start babysitting that sweet 5yo hs'ed boy too. We're going to start hopefully with an "all about me" lapbook project just for fun to kick off the year. He's going to join us for history, we're going to block schedule the stuff that's not lang arts and math. We'll do 5 lessons at a time one day a week for history, starting in history 1 then when its done we'll move into history 2. Well, IF the teacher approves my doing it this way. If not, then I have no clue how we'll do it, prob we'll do all Lydia's history and art on Mond, science and music Tuesday, then Missy's history/art on wed and science on thurs with friday being our catch-up day.
post #27 of 179
We will join this group this year!

I signed up our ODD (6) to start Kindergarten. We are waiting to be "approved" with OHVA.

We had a big ol bunch of trouble with the local school district. Being a former home schooler my self I got the willies and didnt feel safe sending ODD to the school. So here we are! I LOVE how friendly the OHVA people are when you call. Our local school district should take notes!

This has been a good compromise for us. DH was a public school kid and I was not ( well mostly was but HS was the BEST thing my parents ever did!) so having a laid out way of doing both has been a happy medium. My parents wish they had this option when I was in school they would have pulled me out sooner!

ODD is really excited about this year. I have a feeling we may be doing allot of 1st grade work by December.


Q: Do you need to buy pencils and scissors etc. for your kids or do they come in the kit?
Q: What is the music program like for K12?
post #28 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
We will join this group this year!

I signed up our ODD (6) to start Kindergarten. We are waiting to be "approved" with OHVA.

We had a big ol bunch of trouble with the local school district. Being a former home schooler my self I got the willies and didnt feel safe sending ODD to the school. So here we are! I LOVE how friendly the OHVA people are when you call. Our local school district should take notes!

This has been a good compromise for us. DH was a public school kid and I was not ( well mostly was but HS was the BEST thing my parents ever did!) so having a laid out way of doing both has been a happy medium. My parents wish they had this option when I was in school they would have pulled me out sooner!

ODD is really excited about this year. I have a feeling we may be doing allot of 1st grade work by December.


Q: Do you need to buy pencils and scissors etc. for your kids or do they come in the kit?
Q: What is the music program like for K12?
You will LOVE doing OHVA this year, we're in our second year of OHVA when we start here (ols comes up Monday YAY!) and I loved the K program. The teacher my girls had last school year (and dd2 has her again this year) was AMAZING. She really cared and helped out when I needed a hand with coming up with ideas to work with my dyslexic dd1 and had all kinds of great sites that she suggested when I needed something for reinforcement. And the teacher that dd1 has this year (dd2's teacher only does grades K and 1) is also going to be a pleasure to work with I think. We had one communication so far with her through k-mail and I am really looking forward to this.

We too had a really bad experience with our ps, but with my oldest dd as a student there for K. I attended it one year in elementary school, then my family pulled me out and my grandpa paid for me to go to the best private school in central Ohio for a couple years then I went to one of the "best" ps districts in the state for a couple years before ending up back in private school for 2 years and then ended up in a rural district for my last 5 years. *whew* I would have done better hs'ed though with my personality, but am thankful they sent me off to school.

As for your questions.................. uhhhh let me look up at them again lol

You will need to buy the basic supplies. For my K'er last school year, I got glue sticks, pencils, crayons, markers, colored pencils, and notebooks. This year we got the EXACT same stuff for 1st grade (and my 2nd grader too) but we also changed how we organize our lessons.

The music program for k12 stinks. This is coming from a former professional musician too. Its REALLY bad, and sooooo irritating. I ditched it after a week it was so bad. I'm planning on contacting dd1's teacher the day she's back from China (they are bringing home their newly-adopted dd) and in office again to get music changed to attendance-only because its just that bad really. I don't have the patience for bad programs, and the music program is just bad. If you are completely tone deaf with no sense of rhythm at all, then it'll work well for you. But if you have a musical background (even just high school band or choir) it will annoy the heck out of you. That's just my opinion of it though.................... we are doing piano instead this year.
post #29 of 179
Oh yeah, and something that you'll need for the history K that I would have never thought of is FILE FOLDERS. lol You'll be taking a "world tour" of the continents and will make a suitcase for each continent to hold the stuff you did each lesson of that continent's unit. You'll also need a photograph of your child (and a stapler if you don't want to glue or tape the suitcases to your file folders). And YES scissors, its one thing I have at least 10 of around all the time so I don't think of it. And construction paper, you'll need it too. There's also some other stuff that is kind of odd like a shoebox or something like that (or is that in grade one we needed the shoebox for a diorama? lol I can't remember) but you'll be able to see what all exactly is needed when you get approved and the OLS is loaded up for you with lessons, you'll be able to access advance prep and lists of materials needed for each individual lesson.
post #30 of 179
OOOOOOO they are starting to put lessons up on the OHVA ols for the school year. Yesterday dd1 had NO subjects listed, and as of right now she has her phonics 1 and LA 1 up and ready to start. *happy dance* So I'm going to guess that when I get up at 5am tomorrow like I'm planning so that I can wake up and start prep for school to start, the OLS will be fully loaded and ready to go. At least I hope it will be............

I can't wait for the next 14 hours to pass now. lol Tomorrow is such a big day for me, with starting to watch that sweet lil man in the morning and it being the last day of my first college class and the OLS coming up live. WOW what an exciting day. Oh, and from what I understood when my h and I were talking about his work, on Monday his work schedule is *supposed* to be changed to accomodate the 2 new medicaid contracts his lab got (they now have contracts with 3 states to make the medicaid glasses PLUS a military contract) so I'm going to find out just how bad this is going to hurt. Its all coming up at once right now.................. lol OK now I have to go finish a paper that's due tomorrow, and another assignment that I also have to do. What an exciting time for me. Whew! I'll be back once the OLS is up and I've had my first day of babysitting and lessons all in one................
post #31 of 179
Anyone here use K12 for high school? Our area has a new K12 highschool virtual school option. I haven't talked to them to find out much, because I was curious to hear feedback on the actual classes first. I know the high school classes have an outside teacher, not as self-paced, etc., but how is the quality and rigor? Any meaningful interaction with the teacher and/or other students? How are the science labs?

Just curious if anyone is that far along. We've used some of the K12 classes in elementary long ago. I'm working more and having to farm out some of dd's school. She likes some online classes we have tried. If the virtual high school we have access to is any good it would certainly be cheaper!
post #32 of 179
Thread Starter 
Music - I *am* tone-deaf and have no musical talent, and still was frustrated with the music program. In its defense, one of our moms last year loved it and said she thought it did a really good job of covering the basics. My frustrations were the songs (ugh, hardly ANY that I knew, and jangly kiddie stuff) - and I felt like their differentiation between rhythm and beat, etc. were just not clear. SOOO - give it a try, you may like it. But if not, there are ways to be flexible and still do music.

Supplies - What Cat said. Let's see, there were some other random things they thought I'd have in the house - cotton balls, paper lunch bags, radish seeds, index cards, yarn/string.... There were other things I had to scramble and buy at the store, but I don't recall what they were. I had seeds, string, cotton balls but no reason to have paper lunch bags ....

mom2ponygirl, there was a high school kid at our k12's year-end picnic, and he and his mom were talking about how challenging the curriculum was and how far ahead of his peers he seemed to be by the end of the year. I think math especially was "ahead" in their opinions. Teachers work with the secondary ed students by subject area - so your dd would be working with a history teacher, an English teacher, etc. And I think it's mostly self-directed by the time they get to high school.

Going to get supplies together so Ina can work on some k12 while we're traveling this week -- I'm hoping we can knock through a bunch of math, and maybe get a head start on reading.
post #33 of 179
Well, I'm sitting here at 6:45am with my lessons all prepped for the day and I'm dressed and awake (meds taken too nice job for me remembering this early in the day). I'm literally bouncing at the fact that we'll be starting soon. In just under an hour my dcb will be here with his mom, and I have figured out my block scheduling already. I'm doing art on Mon, history on tues, science on wed, piano instruction and our appreciation on thurs, and then health and PE on friday. We bought Horizons health to do this school year, so it'll go perfectly with our needs I think (I hope!). Oh, and we'll also do Spanish lessons on Thursday along with music stuff (piano practice will still be done daily but the actual lesson is on thursdays). So that's how I *think* its going to go, but don't hold me to that just yet......... lol Oh I also have one extra of every lesson listed on Friday just in case we decide to do an extra lesson or two on our scheduled day.

I really like how the new OLS is set up though, its a little easier for me to navigate than the old one was. I like how literally everything is just right there and I can flip easily from one area to another without having to go back to the home page for some stuff.
post #34 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
Well, I'm sitting here at 6:45am with my lessons all prepped for the day and I'm dressed and awake (meds taken too nice job for me remembering this early in the day). I'm literally bouncing at the fact that we'll be starting soon. In just under an hour my dcb will be here with his mom, and I have figured out my block scheduling already. I'm doing art on Mon, history on tues, science on wed, piano instruction and our appreciation on thurs, and then health and PE on friday. We bought Horizons health to do this school year, so it'll go perfectly with our needs I think (I hope!). Oh, and we'll also do Spanish lessons on Thursday along with music stuff (piano practice will still be done daily but the actual lesson is on thursdays). So that's how I *think* its going to go, but don't hold me to that just yet......... lol Oh I also have one extra of every lesson listed on Friday just in case we decide to do an extra lesson or two on our scheduled day.

I really like how the new OLS is set up though, its a little easier for me to navigate than the old one was. I like how literally everything is just right there and I can flip easily from one area to another without having to go back to the home page for some stuff.
Hope you have a great day! Let us know how it goes!
post #35 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
We too had a really bad experience with our ps, but with my oldest dd as a student there for K. I attended it one year in elementary school, then my family pulled me out and my grandpa paid for me to go to the best private school in central Ohio for a couple years then I went to one of the "best" ps districts in the state for a couple years before ending up back in private school for 2 years and then ended up in a rural district for my last 5 years. *whew* I would have done better hs'ed though with my personality, but am thankful they sent me off to school.
.
Funny sounds like we had similar childhoods! We are in a rural area also. Wonder if we are close LOL

I was in one of the "best" districts also. My parents pulled me in 7th grade and they wish they had done it sooner.

Ive grown up in a musical family. So I will likely be bothered also. So I just tell them we are supplementing then if you don't like it?

ODD is really excited to get the supplies out ( I raided Staples yesterday!)
post #36 of 179
I'm doing art on Mon, history on tues, science on wed, piano instruction and our appreciation on thurs, and then health and PE on friday.


I haven't yet seen what we need to do but, your idea above sounds good and much easier for me to remember.
post #37 of 179
I have turned everything thing in but one thing. I checked that R had IEP and 504 thinking they were the same. They want a copy of the 504 if he indeed had one but the counselor at his old school hasn't returned any of my phone calls! Connections won't go any further without knowing for sure if he had a 504. Mind you that this was from 3 years ago..but whatever and apparently she's the only one in the whole school that can tell me yes/no.
post #38 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
I have turned everything thing in but one thing. I checked that R had IEP and 504 thinking they were the same. They want a copy of the 504 if he indeed had one but the counselor at his old school hasn't returned any of my phone calls! Connections won't go any further without knowing for sure if he had a 504. Mind you that this was from 3 years ago..but whatever and apparently she's the only one in the whole school that can tell me yes/no.
Sounds like you need to pay her a visit!
post #39 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
Sounds like you need to pay her a visit!
Every time I call they say they don't know if she's in and transfer my call to her office. She doesn't pick up and I leave a message. The last time I called the receptionist said they would get her to call me back.
post #40 of 179
This time I called and asked for the principal. She was able to tell me that no he did not have a 504! I should've asked for her in the first place.

eta: They are now officially enrolled and books will be ordered. They said R won't be able to sign up for an elective till after 30 days of schooling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › k12+/Virtual Schools Fall 2010