or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › PostPartum Underwear Tips???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PostPartum Underwear Tips???

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi everybody. I've got all my frozen pads ready with my herbal sitz tea on them, but now I'm wondering, what kind of underwear should I use to hold the wet pads in so that they don't leak all over my regular underwear and make me wet all the time? I was thinking about the LUNA PADS underwear, but they are $30 each (?!?). I'm not really into using disposible products like Depends... but I will if that's the only option... Is there a frugal, yet comfortable option that you mamas are aware of? Anything like the Luna panties that are cheaper?

Thanks!
post #2 of 12
Could you use regular underwear and just line them with a couple of pads, or even a small towel?
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
Could you use regular underwear and just line them with a couple of pads, or even a small towel?
As I'm looking around, it seems that using more pads or a pre-fold is going to be the cheapest option. Even the ugly incontinence panties are pricey. I just wanted an option that reduced all the bulk! Maybe I'll have to get crafty and sew something myself....
post #4 of 12
They're horiffically ugly, but the mesh panties I got from my midwife (and the hospital the time I lost our baby) were wonderful. I could rinse them out and reuse them a few times before tossing. They didn't bind, but held pads really well. I quickly went to normal underwear after a day or two, however, because they made me feel much more "normal", iykwim.
post #5 of 12
The mesh ones are great (hmmmmm, I wonder if they are sold online but I'm leery of googling 'mesh panties'.... hehe). I use premie prefolds as postpartum pads anyway so I would likely just place the ice pad inside that. Premie prefolds work great as postpartum pads and can be bought for, at most, $15 per dozen so it's reasonable to keep a couple dozen on hand.
post #6 of 12
You can order mesh panties online here:
http://www.inhishands.com/html/orderbirth.html
(scroll down to the OB Pads section)
post #7 of 12
I always bought a pack of cheapo underwear at Target or something, for $7 bucks I got a huge pack of underwear(like 6 pairs or something). I got granny panty hipsters that were a size bigger than I normally wear. I figured if I leaked on them I'd just throw them away. I HATE those meshy things, sooooooo uncomfy.

Maybe use some fleece or something?
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
You can order mesh panties online here:
http://www.inhishands.com/html/orderbirth.html
(scroll down to the OB Pads section)
Thanks! I'll check that out.
post #9 of 12
The best advice my HBMW gave me was to buy a package of depends for the post-partum bleeding! Skip the cloth panties, and buy disposable undergarments! You can add a maxi-pad or two to help with the bleeding, and it also holds the frozen maxis very well.

I LOVED them! So much better than the mesh underwear!
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavelamomela View Post
The best advice my HBMW gave me was to buy a package of depends for the post-partum bleeding! Skip the cloth panties, and buy disposable undergarments! You can add a maxi-pad or two to help with the bleeding, and it also holds the frozen maxis very well.

I LOVED them! So much better than the mesh underwear!
Yes, the mesh panties aren't really going to work to hold frozen pads I don't think b/c the mesh ones don't absorb anything. I don't really want a frozen pad+regular cloth pad+mesh panties... I'm thinking if I can't get cheap padded underwear, I'll have to get the Depends type underwear... one package should be enough to hold in the amount of frozen pads or hot compresses I use in the first week or two...hopefully! They're expensive!
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLovinMama View Post
Yes, the mesh panties aren't really going to work to hold frozen pads I don't think b/c the mesh ones don't absorb anything. I don't really want a frozen pad+regular cloth pad+mesh panties... I'm thinking if I can't get cheap padded underwear, I'll have to get the Depends type underwear... one package should be enough to hold in the amount of frozen pads or hot compresses I use in the first week or two...hopefully! They're expensive!
One should be enough. I had some left over after the week of wearing them.
post #12 of 12
Image here

Medela sells a cheap 3-pack of disposable underwear, pretty much like what the hospital gives you, but a few pairs is about right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › PostPartum Underwear Tips???