or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › VBAC › VBAC Induction on Wednesday :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VBAC Induction on Wednesday :(

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm not 100% sure the reason of this post... I think I just need to get this off my chest and am thrilled to hear opinions, advice, and especially encouragement...

I have a history of preeclampsia. Induced at 38 weeks for severe pre-e, failed induction, and a cesarean section with my daughter.

BP has been up lately. Running baseline around 140-150/90, has gotten as high as 165/100. I'm swelling alot in my legs, feet, and hands. At today's appointment BP was high, but not too bad. Went in for the BPP and it took over an hour for Levi to "pass". He was just so sleepy/lazy. Arms and legs more lax and not moving. Nonreactive to the buzzer and poking/prodding. Fluid has dropped from 12.44 to a 7.

Saw the midwife afterwards - not my normal one, but one I really like. She had to consult with an OB because of the BP and the decreased AFI. She came back and said the OB felt I needed to be delivered. Reason being is because of decreased BPP results for Levi, low AFI, increased BP. We talked at length about the options because I was really, really upset. At first I flat told her no, I wasn't being induced unless lab work proved my body was getting sick (same as with Ava, liver/kidney failure, ect...). But she talked at length with me and gave me her honest opinion. She also checked my cervix and I've gone from 1cm, 70% effaced, and -4 station last week, to a 2cm, 70% effaced, and -2 station this week - so baby is coming down nicely and my cervix is trying it's best to "work". She feels my cervix is favorable for the induction.

We can all see that I'm getting sick and headed into pre-e territory again. Basically, I have to choose between the lesser of two evils. One - I can refuse the induction and try to wait. But, I basically am bargaining with the devil because my body is so close to full blown pre-e. If I go into full blown pre-e again and my pressures can't be controlled, it will be an immediate repeat section. If they can control my pressures, it will be a pitocin induction while on mag sulfate - meaning in bed 100%, craptastic mag sulfate for 2-3 days, ect... Plus a sick body trying to birth a VBAC baby. Or two, I can go ahead and go with the induction now while my body is still "healthy" and will most likely tolerate an induction alot better. No mag sulfate, I'll be able to move and change positions, get out of bed, ect... Realistically, a healthy mommy will probably be able to vaginally deliver easier than a sick with pre-e mommy. But it's a crapshoot basically. There are pros and cons to both choices and my heart is so torn on what to do. I'm leaning towards going ahead with the induction Wednesday though before my body gets hit hard and I have no chance.



*** UPDATE ***

Alrighty. Had a long, long, long talk with Pam - my midwife - last night. We talked through all the options, weighed each pro and con. She really helped me to feel better about everything and about the decision I made.

I've decided to definitely go ahead with the induction now. We moved it to Thursday though. Pam is on call for 24 hours on Thursday, so she'll be able to start my induction and be with me all during labor. If I don't actually deliver by the time her shift ends, she'll stay with me until I do. She knows all my wants and desires for this birth and says we'll still be able to have everything go the way I really want with just a few minor modifications (have to have continuous monitoring because of the PIT, of course have to have an IV, ect..). Going to start the Pitocin really, really, really low and keep it as low as possible. Once my body gets into a good, active labor pattern (5-6cm+) we may consider backing off the Pitocin and breaking my water to see if I continue progressing on my own. If not, she can always increase the Pitocin again.

I'm feeling much more at ease with the decision today. I've let go of all the negativity surrounding my daughter's induction. I've let go of the stigma that I have that inductions result in cesarean sections. I'm trying my hardest to make HER birth, HER birth and let HIS birth be HIS birth and not put a connection between the two just because they are both inductions. I know every birth is different and I CAN do this and I CAN birth this baby vaginally.


x-posted in VBAC and both DDC trying to seek out help! Hope that's ok...
post #2 of 23
I narrowly escaped an induction for oligohydramnios and a crappy NST last week after I got my fluid level back up. Anyway, I know what you mean about not wanting an induction, but it really can be done with a VBAC if you have a good provider who knows what he/she is doing. Have you asked about starting with a Foley catheter to dilate your cervix a little bit, followed by low dose pitocin? Maybe they can back off on the pitocin if things are really moving well? I think the key is to have a low dose and to expect lots of patience from the staff about not tagging you as a "failure to progress" as long as you and baby are both doing well.

Good luck! You can do it! I am sitting here at 40+6 in prodromal labor waiting for it to take off so I can have my VBAC, too.
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyedoc View Post
I narrowly escaped an induction for oligohydramnios and a crappy NST last week after I got my fluid level back up. Anyway, I know what you mean about not wanting an induction, but it really can be done with a VBAC if you have a good provider who knows what he/she is doing. Have you asked about starting with a Foley catheter to dilate your cervix a little bit, followed by low dose pitocin? Maybe they can back off on the pitocin if things are really moving well? I think the key is to have a low dose and to expect lots of patience from the staff about not tagging you as a "failure to progress" as long as you and baby are both doing well.

Good luck! You can do it! I am sitting here at 40+6 in prodromal labor waiting for it to take off so I can have my VBAC, too.
We discussed a Foley, but because I'm already at a 2, they aren't sure it would help - it's designed to fall out at a 3cm....

We are going to go with a low dose pit, once I hit good, active labor (maybe 5-6cm) we will try to back off the pit and see if I go on my own after that.

I discussed being labeled FTP as that's what happened with my daughter. I got to 6cm after a 19 hour pit induced labor. The OB said if I didn't progress anymore in 1 hour, it would be a section. I didn't and was basically forced into a section. The midwife I see said absolutely they wouldn't section me for something like that - so I have faith I'll be given as much time as I need.
post #4 of 23
My foley got me to 5cm, then an AROM and the lowest dose of pit for an hour put me into a 4 hours of active labor/one hour of pushing perfect VBAC.

. Good luck!
post #5 of 23
Here's my story....hopefully it'll provide some inspiration....

I was at 40w5d when my OB suggested that we could TRY an induction for my VBAC (I'd spent my entire pregnancy being told that I ONLY had to 40 weeks). I spent the night before the induction really making an effort to relax my body and visualize myself "opening". When I got to the hospital, the nurse started checking me out and said "you're 5cm and contracting regularly every 5 minutes." Six hours later, no pit, no main meds, I had my VBAC baby in my arms.

Good luck! Whatever happens, you'll have a beautiful baby in your arms soon!
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Updated in OP!
post #7 of 23
No experience here (yet), but I agree with you that the induction will be more manageable while you're still strong (rather than sick and weak). Good luck. Your LO will be born the way he is supposed to be.
post #8 of 23
GL!

I'm not sure if EPO would do any good at this point but it might soften your cervix- and you can also get your hubby to help.
post #9 of 23
Cook medical makes a two balloon catheter for induction that I used when I had my VBAC. It's been shown to be more effective than the Foley, I believe. Might be worth giving a try. I had mine put in at the office and then went home - you don't have to be at the hospital.

Good luck!
post #10 of 23
Just saw this and wishing you all the best on Thursday.
post #11 of 23
Lots of good labor vibes coming your way for Thursday! I hope it goes well!
post #12 of 23
Good Luck Mama.

I got induced at 40+5 with DD. I was on a low dose of pit and the OB performed AROM after a good labor pattern had settled in. I was already (when I got admitted) at 6cm and 80% effaced. After the AROM it took 40 minutes until DD was born.

it can be done. Good luck.
post #13 of 23
I saw your post the other day and came back for an update. I'm really glad you are able to be induced with your midwife vs someone else. I also think it's great she'll stay with you if it takes longer than her shift. Get lots of rest today, you know you'll need it!
post #14 of 23
Sending you some ELV and fingers crossed for your VBAC.
post #15 of 23
I hope your labor and birth go well today! Please update us when you can.
post #16 of 23
Sending you wonderful VBAC vibes and smooth induction vibes. It sounds like you're in really great hands with a very supportive midwive. Stay strong mama! Like you said, this is a different birth and I'm glad that you see that...so, success is on your way!

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow!
post #17 of 23
I am confident you will do great! How awesome to have such a supportive midwife. Thinking of you tomorrow! Can't wait to hear.
post #18 of 23
Good luck, and for what it's worth I think trying another induction is a good choice.
In case it helps, I, too, had to be induced for my first(high risk)at 37 weeks.
Granted, there were many methods used-first cervadil, then foley balloon, then breaking my waters, and finally pit. 30 hours later, I gave birth vaginally to a perfectly healthy boy. You CAN DO IT!!!
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thank you everyone!!!

I said I'd do a play by play of today as best I could, so here goes!!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6#post15751786
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: VBAC
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › VBAC › VBAC Induction on Wednesday :(