or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

prior cesearean mamas - Page 2

post #21 of 102
Thread Starter 
I have a question. Anyone else having a lot of pain around their scar? I keep having these awful shooting pains in my pelvis/right around my scar. I had a lot of those pains when I was recovering too, for about a year afterward. Now they are back. It's like someone sticking needles in through my scar down through my labia. OUCHIE!
post #22 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Wow, that is really tough. I cannot believe that an OB could drop you as a patient at that point. I am so sorry your midwife didn't communicate with you better. If you can find a supportive MW, that would probably be your best chance for a VBAC in your situation. I can understand your hesitancy 100% though! Maybe if you interview a few MWs, and see how comfortable you are with them, if it feels natural or not. I will say, not all MWs are created the same. Mine were FANTASTIC, and I am so thankful knowing that I received competent care the whole time.
See...I had had a midwife the whole time, and it was only the OB at the hospital ER that refused to do anything more than dope me up. lol.

The other problem I have here in Ohio, is that VBACs with midwives are 100% ILLEGAL. So...I'm stuck with going back to the very experienced, but unlicensed MW I had last time, or going with the one Dr. who does them.

Is it me, or am I insane to feel that I don't/can't trust her (my mw from last time) anymore?
post #23 of 102
Hi Moms! I'm new here. Just found out I am pregnant yesterday. So my EDD is actually May 3, but no DD Club yet. Can I hang out here? I'd say there's about a zero percent chance I'd actually have an "early" baby.

I've had 3 C/S. None by choice. I tried homebirth all three times.

DS1: Water broke 2 days after EDD. Labor didn't really start. Ended up at a hospital and was induced. Hard labor, no pain meds for 25 hours. Stuck at 6cm.
Lesson learned: Shouldn't have told docs my water broke until labor started on it's own or a couple days later. They should have kept their hands out of there and there would be no concern for infection.
Emotions: Heart broken. Angry and sad until next birth.

DS2: Water broke 2 days after EDD. Labor started, doc, nurse, and doula at house. Protein spilling in urine and high BP. Transfered in own car to hospital. Epidural to lower BP. C/S after 23 hours and no progression past 6cm.
Lesson Learned: MY doula wasn't helpful. I should not have been lying in bed with a monitor! I should have demanded to be up and about.
Emotions: Sad. Not as bad as the first time. I don't think this one was avoidable.

DD1: Couldn't find a doctor to attend a VBA2C. Found a HB midwife to attend me. Ten days past EDD, she said I should present to the hospital, she no longer felt okay attending me. With no options, I went to the hospital and they did a C/S without any labor ever starting.
Lesson Learned: I'm screwed next time.
Emotions: Let down. Relieved to get the baby out! Felt the best physically after birth.

I don't know what in the world I'm going to do this time. I don't believe I have any choice but another C/S (in Illinois.) Emotionally it's easier to be resigned to that. I just need to find a provider I can deal with (or can deal with me.)

Fortunately I never had much trouble nursing as a result of the C/S. I have nursed the first 2 kids until 3 to 3 1/2. The baby (20 months) is still going too.
post #24 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfamMama View Post
See...I had had a midwife the whole time, and it was only the OB at the hospital ER that refused to do anything more than dope me up. lol.

The other problem I have here in Ohio, is that VBACs with midwives are 100% ILLEGAL. So...I'm stuck with going back to the very experienced, but unlicensed MW I had last time, or going with the one Dr. who does them.

Is it me, or am I insane to feel that I don't/can't trust her (my mw from last time) anymore?
I don't think I could go back to that MW, considering you felt that she endangered your life and did not adequately communicate what a dangerous situation you were in, and how serious the escalation of your symptoms were. You ought to be able to trust your care provider, and if you can't, then you should be able to go elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
Hi Moms! I'm new here. Just found out I am pregnant yesterday. So my EDD is actually May 3, but no DD Club yet. Can I hang out here? I'd say there's about a zero percent chance I'd actually have an "early" baby.

I've had 3 C/S. None by choice. I tried homebirth all three times.

DS1: Water broke 2 days after EDD. Labor didn't really start. Ended up at a hospital and was induced. Hard labor, no pain meds for 25 hours. Stuck at 6cm.
Lesson learned: Shouldn't have told docs my water broke until labor started on it's own or a couple days later. They should have kept their hands out of there and there would be no concern for infection.
Emotions: Heart broken. Angry and sad until next birth.

DS2: Water broke 2 days after EDD. Labor started, doc, nurse, and doula at house. Protein spilling in urine and high BP. Transfered in own car to hospital. Epidural to lower BP. C/S after 23 hours and no progression past 6cm.
Lesson Learned: MY doula wasn't helpful. I should not have been lying in bed with a monitor! I should have demanded to be up and about.
Emotions: Sad. Not as bad as the first time. I don't think this one was avoidable.

DD1: Couldn't find a doctor to attend a VBA2C. Found a HB midwife to attend me. Ten days past EDD, she said I should present to the hospital, she no longer felt okay attending me. With no options, I went to the hospital and they did a C/S without any labor ever starting.
Lesson Learned: I'm screwed next time.
Emotions: Let down. Relieved to get the baby out! Felt the best physically after birth.

I don't know what in the world I'm going to do this time. I don't believe I have any choice but another C/S (in Illinois.) Emotionally it's easier to be resigned to that. I just need to find a provider I can deal with (or can deal with me.)

Fortunately I never had much trouble nursing as a result of the C/S. I have nursed the first 2 kids until 3 to 3 1/2. The baby (20 months) is still going too.
Too bad! If you were in VA I would point you in the direction of a great HB MW who regularly does VBAMCs. I think her highest was a VBA5C. And she is fabulous. If I could afford to do a HB again this time I'd have her in a heartbeat. I hope you can find a doc that your feel comfortable, even if you do have a CBAC. Also, feel free to keep hanging out with us here. CBAC moms tend to be misunderstood and judged a lot on these boards, unfortunately. I want to keep this an open, debate and judgment-free thread. Just support here, no matter your birth!
post #25 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
I don't know what in the world I'm going to do this time. I don't believe I have any choice but another C/S (in Illinois.) Emotionally it's easier to be resigned to that. I just need to find a provider I can deal with (or can deal with me.)

Fortunately I never had much trouble nursing as a result of the C/S. I have nursed the first 2 kids until 3 to 3 1/2. The baby (20 months) is still going too.
Get in touch with your local ICAN chapter if you are not. Don't give up yet. There are some beautiful youtube videos of women VBAMC. If you have to have a cesarean you can make it the best it can be for you and baby. Wait to go into natural labor, have baby put on your chest right after birth, etc.
post #26 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Too bad! If you were in VA I would point you in the direction of a great HB MW who regularly does VBAMCs. I think her highest was a VBA5C. And she is fabulous. If I could afford to do a HB again this time I'd have her in a heartbeat. I hope you can find a doc that your feel comfortable, even if you do have a CBAC. Also, feel free to keep hanging out with us here. CBAC moms tend to be misunderstood and judged a lot on these boards, unfortunately. I want to keep this an open, debate and judgment-free thread. Just support here, no matter your birth!
You guys are great! I will definately hang around! I never thought I'd find myself resigned to a C/S. And who knows, if another option presents itself, I would be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
Get in touch with your local ICAN chapter if you are not. Don't give up yet. There are some beautiful youtube videos of women VBAMC. If you have to have a cesarean you can make it the best it can be for you and baby. Wait to go into natural labor, have baby put on your chest right after birth, etc.
That's what I intend to do. With my 2nd baby, I was never separated. He nursed in the O.R.! It was great! Unfortunately that hospital closed.

I'm not afraid to speak up to get what I want! I'm a chiropractor and that's usually all I have to say, before the M.D.'s back off and understand that I've researched and determined what I want and they aren't going to change my mind.

IL is just so hard. I had such a hard time last time finding anyone who would attend me. She is a naturopathic doctor who doesn't really advertise being a HB Midwife. I can't believe she left me high and dry when I was 10 days "late." She asked me to make up a story that I was just in the area visiting when I went into labor off and on and presented to the hospital. She'd go with me as my "doula." She changed my records to say I was only 3 days past due and blocked her name off of it. The MD's who attended my first births and specialize in HB and no Vax, can't even attend a VBA2C anymore due to their malpractice insurance. Frustrating!

It is hard to trust your body after 3 C/S while trying so hard for a HB. Right now, I'm thinking my strategy will be to find a minimally invasive (with monitoring and testing) M.D. who will work with me and my desires. I'll start by visiting the MD's who attended my first two births and seeing if they have any collegues who will fit the bill.
post #27 of 102
Well let's hope third time is the charm!

Hi ladies...I'm due in April, anywhere from April 11th to the 27th...LOL

This is my third baby. My first two were c/s. The first time I was scared into an induction @ 40 wks, my body was in no way ready, and after 36 hours, I was only 4cm and the OB declared I had to have a c/s. 10 months later, we found we were expecting #2, and I knew I wanted to VBAC...which turned into an HBAC. My MW tweaked out around 33wks, and started treating me like a bomb that was about to explode. It was basically a home induction and very traumatic for me. We ended up transferring after 24 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing. I pushed for another 2 hours at the hospital, before we decided to do another c/s. My ctx were 10 minutes apart and they said pitocin or c/s. I have a lot of regrets, a lot of guilt, and a good amount of anger at my care providers.

I was just looking for an OB this time who would let me go into labor before coming in for a c/s. I was absolutely sure no one would let me even attempt a VBA2C. Much to my surprise, my OB actually WANTS me to VBA2C and has no reservations about it at all. He said we'd talk if I made it to 42 weeks without any signs of labor, but otherwise, there was no reason why I couldn't VBA2C. So I'm starting to hope again. Not sure if that's wise. LOL As others have said, it's hard to trust your body...and I really don't know how I'll be emotionally if I end up with another c/s. I think I'll be ok, since I already accepted a c/s...but who knows how it all will end.
post #28 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliah79 View Post
Well let's hope third time is the charm!

Hi ladies...I'm due in April, anywhere from April 11th to the 27th...LOL

This is my third baby. My first two were c/s. The first time I was scared into an induction @ 40 wks, my body was in no way ready, and after 36 hours, I was only 4cm and the OB declared I had to have a c/s. 10 months later, we found we were expecting #2, and I knew I wanted to VBAC...which turned into an HBAC. My MW tweaked out around 33wks, and started treating me like a bomb that was about to explode. It was basically a home induction and very traumatic for me. We ended up transferring after 24 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing. I pushed for another 2 hours at the hospital, before we decided to do another c/s. My ctx were 10 minutes apart and they said pitocin or c/s. I have a lot of regrets, a lot of guilt, and a good amount of anger at my care providers.

I was just looking for an OB this time who would let me go into labor before coming in for a c/s. I was absolutely sure no one would let me even attempt a VBA2C. Much to my surprise, my OB actually WANTS me to VBA2C and has no reservations about it at all. He said we'd talk if I made it to 42 weeks without any signs of labor, but otherwise, there was no reason why I couldn't VBA2C. So I'm starting to hope again. Not sure if that's wise. LOL As others have said, it's hard to trust your body...and I really don't know how I'll be emotionally if I end up with another c/s. I think I'll be ok, since I already accepted a c/s...but who knows how it all will end.
My first thought was after reading about your inductions was - you just need to be able to go into labor on your own and your body will take care of it . The ability to give birth is so much hindered by something other than ourselves or our baby saying it's time to go. That is fantastic you have an OB not only "allowing" but encouraging you to labor and give birth!! I am confident you can do this!
post #29 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfamMama View Post
The other problem I have here in Ohio, is that VBACs with midwives are 100% ILLEGAL.
This is incorrect. I live in Ohio (south of Dayton) and there are midwives around here that do VBACs. Depending on the hospital, CNMs may or may not be permitted to attend them, but that's hospital policy, not law. There are definitely CPMs here and several in Columbus that attend VBACs. There are no laws in Ohio banning any practitioner from attending VBACs. The only issue we have is the absence of licensing laws for CPMs.

ETA: Forgot to talk about me! I had a C/S with DS. I won't go into the story right now. I'm planning a UBAC for this one, for various reasons.
post #30 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
My first thought was after reading about your inductions was - you just need to be able to go into labor on your own and your body will take care of it . The ability to give birth is so much hindered by something other than ourselves or our baby saying it's time to go. That is fantastic you have an OB not only "allowing" but encouraging you to labor and give birth!! I am confident you can do this!
I agree. I thought, as a homebirth midwife, she would trust birth - but she most certainly did not think I could do it. I wish she would have been honest and passed me off to an OB rather than going through what I did.

While I'm afraid to hope too much, I'm trying to be positive that, yes I can do it. I've had two trial runs, and now it's time for the big show...LOL.
post #31 of 102
Thread Starter 
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread, I'm hella sick right now with seasonal allergies and wretched morning sickness. Just wanted to pop in real quick and say *hi* to our newcomers, and I will be back when I don't feel so puketastic!
post #32 of 102
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone! I thought I would bump this thread up and see what you all are up to. I am still wobbling back and forth about VBAC. I think I will go for it but I keep having dreams about recovering from surgery. Last time I was so single mindedly intent upon hb that I didn't even have a hospital bag packed. And we definitely were not prepared to make a surgical recovery more comfortable. This time I want to be ready for both a VBAC or a CBAC. But I have heard some people say that it is like sabotaging yourself to prepare for a surgical birth when you are planning for a vaginal birth. What are your opinions?

And how are your pregnancies going? I am doing all right here. Nervous about my prenatal appointment tomorrow. Doctors make me nervous. And it's even more difficult because although I have had a baby before I don't "know the drill". Last time my MWs were very hands off, no testing or anything. So this time I have to "pass" all these tests and it is nerve-wracking.
post #33 of 102
Nerdymom- What do you mean you have to "pass" all the tests? I thought a lot of them were optional. I don't think it's sabotage to prepare for a surgical birth when preparing for a vaginal. We're doing that. DH is also USCG and the baby is due right before SARS starts. In the event that our VBAC doesn't go as planned we have to figure out what to do when Dh goes back on duty. Ten days paternity is not enough time for a c/s recovery with an almost two year old! We most likey won't be able to take leave either because we are getting restationed in July. So far the only thing holding us back from a VBAC is my medical records. The hospital in Illinois still hasn't sent my records and our new hospital says my previous c/s has to have had a double suture (I will dispute this if I have a single suture).
post #34 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post
Nerdymom- What do you mean you have to "pass" all the tests? I thought a lot of them were optional. I don't think it's sabotage to prepare for a surgical birth when preparing for a vaginal. We're doing that. DH is also USCG and the baby is due right before SARS starts. In the event that our VBAC doesn't go as planned we have to figure out what to do when Dh goes back on duty. Ten days paternity is not enough time for a c/s recovery with an almost two year old! We most likey won't be able to take leave either because we are getting restationed in July. So far the only thing holding us back from a VBAC is my medical records. The hospital in Illinois still hasn't sent my records and our new hospital says my previous c/s has to have had a double suture (I will dispute this if I have a single suture).
Well, I can and have declined several of the prenatal tests so far. But because I had a high birth weight baby last time (10 lbs 5 oz and no I didn't have gestational diabetes) they want me to do the glucose tolerance test soon, plus there is the GBS screen (which if you decline they want to give you IV antibiotics, ick) and I'm worried about gaining too much. So far, one MW was very positive about me VBACing, and the other was more negative, because my reasons for c/s were failure to progress and macrosomia, both in her words "the factors most likely to recur."

I am sorry to hear about your DHs work situation. I hope you can get something worked out soon. What does your husband do? Last time my husband had JUST gone active (was a reservist before) the month before and didn't have any leave except his 10 days. It was a tough recovery, but I did have family to help out and no toddler to care for! Has he broached the subject with his command?
post #35 of 102
I don't think its sabotage to be ready in case you need a cesarean either. My birth plan had a section about my requests if a cesarean was necessary. What I do think is important is that while in labor you are not viewing a c/s as a valid option. Unless of course it's medically necessary. My labor with DD was very long and tiring but I never thought about giving up and having a c/s instead. Epi, yes. C/S, no.
post #36 of 102


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

I am sorry to hear about your DHs work situation. I hope you can get something worked out soon. What does your husband do? Last time my husband had JUST gone active (was a reservist before) the month before and didn't have any leave except his 10 days. It was a tough recovery, but I did have family to help out and no toddler to care for! Has he broached the subject with his command?



I see about the testing. I know the glucose one is coming up for me, but I have no clue and at least the GBS isn't done until after 35 weeks.

 

DH is MK3 but he is almost ALWAYS the OOD. If it's not him it's a BM2.Over the summer they both got screwed on leave they had already been approved for and a few times the two have been given leave at the same time and one of them almost got recalled when it was figured out. If I don't have a c/s, the 10 days paternity leave should be enough. Otherwise he'll need to take more leave on top of that, but it is a request and can get denied. He has started explaining to the SR.Chief how with a c/s you aren't supposed to drive for X amount of weeks, no lifting and all that. He had no clue that it's as major surgery and it does require recovery time.

 

Our problem is my sister is getting married one month after my EDD (less 4 days) and we have to go from RI to Seattle with a 23 month old and a newborn. Then less than a month later we have to start packing for our PCS. If DH is getting sent somewhere that requires training before hand, then he won't be able to take leave. That's when I really will be in trouble if I need a c/s.

post #37 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post

I don't think its sabotage to be ready in case you need a cesarean either. My birth plan had a section about my requests if a cesarean was necessary. What I do think is important is that while in labor you are not viewing a c/s as a valid option. Unless of course it's medically necessary. My labor with DD was very long and tiring but I never thought about giving up and having a c/s instead. Epi, yes. C/S, no.

 

Thanks. I am a small details person, so I keep thinking about writing the birth plan, and I had not thought of putting a separate section "in case of c/s". That is a good idea. Maybe if I did that I could let it rest.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post


 



I see about the testing. I know the glucose one is coming up for me, but I have no clue and at least the GBS isn't done until after 35 weeks.

 

DH is MK3 but he is almost ALWAYS the OOD. If it's not him it's a BM2.Over the summer they both got screwed on leave they had already been approved for and a few times the two have been given leave at the same time and one of them almost got recalled when it was figured out. If I don't have a c/s, the 10 days paternity leave should be enough. Otherwise he'll need to take more leave on top of that, but it is a request and can get denied. He has started explaining to the SR.Chief how with a c/s you aren't supposed to drive for X amount of weeks, no lifting and all that. He had no clue that it's as major surgery and it does require recovery time.

 

Our problem is my sister is getting married one month after my EDD (less 4 days) and we have to go from RI to Seattle with a 23 month old and a newborn. Then less than a month later we have to start packing for our PCS. If DH is getting sent somewhere that requires training before hand, then he won't be able to take leave. That's when I really will be in trouble if I need a c/s.


UGH! DH is an IS2 and while he is on a watch, there are enough people that he won't have any trouble taking leave when I'm due. If it had been this year he would have because they gave almost everyone an early transfer, they were stripped to bare bones and then when the new guys came on a month or two later DH was one of the senior people on watch and had to train 10 ppl. So he didn't get to take any leave between March and August. As for not considering a c/s major surgery...that always bugs me that people don't know that. HELLOOO, they cut this baby outta me, what do you think happened? I'm sensitive to it because I've had it implied so many times that c/s is the "easier" way. huh.

post #38 of 102


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

Hello everyone! I thought I would bump this thread up and see what you all are up to. I am still wobbling back and forth about VBAC. I think I will go for it but I keep having dreams about recovering from surgery. Last time I was so single mindedly intent upon hb that I didn't even have a hospital bag packed. And we definitely were not prepared to make a surgical recovery more comfortable. This time I want to be ready for both a VBAC or a CBAC. But I have heard some people say that it is like sabotaging yourself to prepare for a surgical birth when you are planning for a vaginal birth. What are your opinions?

And how are your pregnancies going? I am doing all right here. Nervous about my prenatal appointment tomorrow. Doctors make me nervous. And it's even more difficult because although I have had a baby before I don't "know the drill". Last time my MWs were very hands off, no testing or anything. So this time I have to "pass" all these tests and it is nerve-wracking.

 

I'm in the same boat.  DS was a planned HB transfer CS.  I had not at all prepared for being in the hospital, no birth plan or research about what they might do.  I would really like to have a HB this time but I don't want to double pay again in the event of a transfer, have no support for it and I am unsure of my ability to even have a baby at home.  That said I dread all of the poking and prodding involved in standard care.  I loved the hands off prenatal care I received with the HB midwives.  I've been so nervous about it that I put off my first appt until this coming Monday.  I'm seeing a group of CMDs that practice at a hospital 45 minutes from my house, hopefully they are VBAC supportive.

 

On a side note, do hospitals ever allow GBS to be treated with Hibicleanse as opposed to antibiotics?

post #39 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseoffred View Post


 

 

I'm in the same boat.  DS was a planned HB transfer CS.  I had not at all prepared for being in the hospital, no birth plan or research about what they might do.  I would really like to have a HB this time but I don't want to double pay again in the event of a transfer, have no support for it and I am unsure of my ability to even have a baby at home.  That said I dread all of the poking and prodding involved in standard care.  I loved the hands off prenatal care I received with the HB midwives.  I've been so nervous about it that I put off my first appt until this coming Monday.  I'm seeing a group of CMDs that practice at a hospital 45 minutes from my house, hopefully they are VBAC supportive.

 

On a side note, do hospitals ever allow GBS to be treated with Hibicleanse as opposed to antibiotics?


 

I hope you have a good visit. I didn't meet with my MWs (aside from the ititial interview) until about 16 weeks last time. I know exactly what you mean about the hand off care. I miss that a lot. But I have to say that the one CNM I have seen twice has been very supportive and I hope you can find the same level of care. I would think that Hibicleanse would depend upon the care providers, you could check, perhaps they would want to test you again after the cleanse to see how it works out.

post #40 of 102

Here is a link to the one I based mine off of:  http://www.icanofnj.com/vbacbirthplan.htm  This is a great website by a good friend of mine.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

Thanks. I am a small details person, so I keep thinking about writing the birth plan, and I had not thought of putting a separate section "in case of c/s". That is a good idea. Maybe if I did that I could let it rest.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2011