or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

prior cesearean mamas - Page 3

post #41 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post

Here is a link to the one I based mine off of:  http://www.icanofnj.com/vbacbirthplan.htm  This is a great website by a good friend of mine.

 

Thank you, I bookmarked that for me to work on later! I didn't have a birth plan last time so there are a lot of things I would not think to add!

post #42 of 102

I had an unnecessary cesarian 5 years ago and a few years later, painful adhesions (from my cesarian scar) that went undiagnosed for a year.  I had laparoscopic surgery to have those removed.

 

I'm planning a VBAC at The Farm where the cesarian rate is less than 2%.  I'm not thinking about "what-if's" right now because I trust the midwives there, they know what they are doing and I'm already experienced with the "what-if"....so why worry, right?  :)  There are some very negative friends and family that I have to cut off from our lives until after the baby is born.  Surrounding myself with love and support!  I am loving the book "Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth".   I have several other positive birth books to keep me inspired.  ;)

 

post #43 of 102

"I have a question. Anyone else having a lot of pain around their scar? I keep having these awful shooting pains in my pelvis/right around my scar. I had a lot of those pains when I was recovering too, for about a year afterward. Now they are back. It's like someone sticking needles in through my scar down through my labia. OUCHIE!"

 

You could have adhesions from your previous cesarian.  They are very common.  I had surgery to remove mine after it became life altering...and after they did all kinds of scans and tests for over a year before it was finally decided to do exploratory surgery.  I hope not for you!  

post #44 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_marie View Post

"I have a question. Anyone else having a lot of pain around their scar? I keep having these awful shooting pains in my pelvis/right around my scar. I had a lot of those pains when I was recovering too, for about a year afterward. Now they are back. It's like someone sticking needles in through my scar down through my labia. OUCHIE!"

 

You could have adhesions from your previous cesarian.  They are very common.  I had surgery to remove mine after it became life altering...and after they did all kinds of scans and tests for over a year before it was finally decided to do exploratory surgery.  I hope not for you!  



So you had these pains too? Like a thin line of pain down to your labia? I hope I don't need surgery. I haven't been having as many of those pains as I did at first. I  can imagine that if they kept being as frequent as they first were that I would be downright miserable. Glad you got yours fixed. Best wishes for your VBAC! So exciting!

post #45 of 102

Yes, but not during pregnancy...it was about 2 years after my son was born via c-section...and it took another year of frequent visits to find the problem.  I had abdominal pain that radiated down through my cervix/labia...shooting pain.  My periods were very painful. I had a lot of gas and bloating from the adhesion putting pressure on my bowels.  I was told I had IBS.  I was tested for gallbladder issues, appendix problems, cysts, etc.  They told me abdominal pain in a women could be almost anything.  They suspected fibroids and decided to do laparoscopy to remove them.  When they were in there, they found a huge adhesion that was connected to by abdominal wall (about one inch below my belly button) and went all the way down to my scar.  Imagine a wad of gum, stretched...putting pressure on every internal organ in between.  

 

Adhesions can cause different pains in each person, depending on the location and size.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

So you had these pains too? Like a thin line of pain down to your labia? I hope I don't need surgery. I haven't been having as many of those pains as I did at first. I  can imagine that if they kept being as frequent as they first were that I would be downright miserable. Glad you got yours fixed. Best wishes for your VBAC! So exciting!

post #46 of 102

Sorry I can't seem to type below the quote...

 

My general practiioner (previous homebirth and home visit doctor in Alaska) said he prefers his patients who have had  C/S to gain 60 lbs!  Even if they're overweight to begin with.  He says you'll run out of energy in labor if you don't gain enough weight.  Just a thought.  Maybe don't worry about your weight gain if you're eating healthy food and aren't diabetic.

 

My current OB had the same concerns about FTP and big babies.  My biggest was 10lb 6oz and I labored over 24 hours each with the first two, not progressing past 6cm or having the babies heads engage.  That was the reason for my first two C/S and I never got to go into labor the third time--(VBA2C care provider dropped me at 10 days past EDD and I had no choice but to repeat C/S.) (I don't have it in me to UBAC!)  Anyway my OB who actually seriously considered my VBA3C request (amazing to even consider it in IL) said if the reasons for the 1st two C/S were something like breech baby and repeat C/S he'd do a VBA3C with me, but because they're FTP and macrosomia he would not like to.  He hasn't completely said "no" yet, but I don't expect a "yes."

 

I like him and after interviewing lots of the most conservative OBs around here, I'll stick with this guy no matter what we decide.  At the very least I'll wait to do a RCS until I go into labor on my own.  Althought I doubt he'd "let" me go past 2 weeks "late," that's better than scheduling  at 39 weeks.  I've only met with him once, so we'll see how things go.  My 16 week appointment is Tuesday.

 

Thanks for bumping the thread!  It's nice to see how everyone is doing!


Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

I'm worried about gaining too much.
So far, one MW was very positive about me VBACing, and the other was more negative, because my reasons for c/s were failure to progress and macrosomia, both in her words "the factors most likely to recur."
post #47 of 102
NerdyMom,
I liked my CS, and would have another if I didn't want a few more kids. I had a CS after a 36 hour labor too. I was fully dialated and effaced, but the baby wouldn't budge, even after 2 hours of pushing, another 2 of laboring down, and another 1.5 hours of pushing orngtongue.gif. Turns out he was stuck like a cork in a bottle! He had a Charlie Brown head, and it was too big to fit through.

My CS went well, even though the actual 30 min of surgery was terrifying. I had no idea what to expect, being that numb was scary, and I had a bad reaction to the spinal meds and had a loooong panic attack accompanied by non stop vomiting through the procedure. Even so, if I didn't want a few more kids, I would have a repeat Cs without a second thought. The recovery was FAST and easy, my pain well managed, and everyone was super supportive and kind. Now that I know what to expect, it doesn't worry me. The hospital I went to is for womens care ONLY, and is very well known. I never knew a hospital could be so nice, even my DH was shocked at how everyone, from the cleaning lady to the OB went out of their way to explain every last little thing and ask permission. even to clean my toilet! If all hospitals were like this, the world would be a better place.

The risks are rare with VBAC, but catastrophic, even more so at home. But, I want more than 2 kids and am already over 30, so I don't think repeat CS is the best choice. VBAC may be better in this case, deciding WHERE and WITH WHO is the issue. I plan to talk to my OB and the CNM on his staff and see what they think. If they say CS is safer, I will do it, and if it becomes necessary, I will do it no problem. They are both pro VBAC, as is the hospital where I went, so I don't expect biased info. I *have* thought about HBAC or UCAC because I would like to have my baby where I live in Mexico (duel citizenship for baby this way) and I don't want to go to a local hospital (there are great private ones, but the attitude is not like it is in CA!). The risk and fear of pain stops me- having an emergency here is not like having one in the USA! If it went well, it could be amazing, but if anything went wrong, there would be no way to get help fast enough, and I am not going to a hotel. So I will probably end up with a hospital VBAC in the US, even though its not what I would want IDEALLY.

That's for me. For you, I would say that if you want a repeat CS for reasons of safety, or preference, than have one and don't worry about it. BUT, if you are only having one because you think you will be treated badly otherwise, I would suggest you try to find a better provider. I am ALL for a moms choice, but its not a choice if you are pushed into it, for whatever reason. Choose CS or VBAC because you feel it's the best for YOU, then worry about getting the situation right. You have time to find supportive people no matter what you want to do, and now that you know what to expect, this birth will be better.
post #48 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_marie View Post

Yes, but not during pregnancy...it was about 2 years after my son was born via c-section...and it took another year of frequent visits to find the problem.  I had abdominal pain that radiated down through my cervix/labia...shooting pain.  My periods were very painful. I had a lot of gas and bloating from the adhesion putting pressure on my bowels.  I was told I had IBS.  I was tested for gallbladder issues, appendix problems, cysts, etc.  They told me abdominal pain in a women could be almost anything.  They suspected fibroids and decided to do laparoscopy to remove them.  When they were in there, they found a huge adhesion that was connected to by abdominal wall (about one inch below my belly button) and went all the way down to my scar.  Imagine a wad of gum, stretched...putting pressure on every internal organ in between.  

 

Adhesions can cause different pains in each person, depending on the location and size.
 

Wow, I cannot imagine how painful that must have been! It makes me hurt just thinking about it!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post

Sorry I can't seem to type below the quote...

 

My general practiioner (previous homebirth and home visit doctor in Alaska) said he prefers his patients who have had  C/S to gain 60 lbs!  Even if they're overweight to begin with.  He says you'll run out of energy in labor if you don't gain enough weight.  Just a thought.  Maybe don't worry about your weight gain if you're eating healthy food and aren't diabetic.

 

My current OB had the same concerns about FTP and big babies.  My biggest was 10lb 6oz and I labored over 24 hours each with the first two, not progressing past 6cm or having the babies heads engage.  That was the reason for my first two C/S and I never got to go into labor the third time--(VBA2C care provider dropped me at 10 days past EDD and I had no choice but to repeat C/S.) (I don't have it in me to UBAC!)  Anyway my OB who actually seriously considered my VBA3C request (amazing to even consider it in IL) said if the reasons for the 1st two C/S were something like breech baby and repeat C/S he'd do a VBA3C with me, but because they're FTP and macrosomia he would not like to.  He hasn't completely said "no" yet, but I don't expect a "yes."

 

I like him and after interviewing lots of the most conservative OBs around here, I'll stick with this guy no matter what we decide.  At the very least I'll wait to do a RCS until I go into labor on my own.  Althought I doubt he'd "let" me go past 2 weeks "late," that's better than scheduling  at 39 weeks.  I've only met with him once, so we'll see how things go.  My 16 week appointment is Tuesday.

 

Thanks for bumping the thread!  It's nice to see how everyone is doing!

 


I think it is amazing to even FIND an OB who will consider a VBAMC! There is only one OB in Northern VA who will attend a VBAC and he is impossible to get an appointment with I hear. I am very blessed to have military insurance and the military doctors and midwives are semi-supportive of VBAC. I hope your visit goes well. You could at least tell him you would like to undergo a TOL (trial of labor) if your labor starts before 41 weeks. I know my MWs are going to encourage an induction before 41 weeks...it's making me sweat to think of being on a deadline! But like you I want more children, many more children. And I'm only 24, so I really want to give this my best effort.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSolarMomma View Post

NerdyMom,
I liked my CS, and would have another if I didn't want a few more kids. I had a CS after a 36 hour labor too. I was fully dialated and effaced, but the baby wouldn't budge, even after 2 hours of pushing, another 2 of laboring down, and another 1.5 hours of pushing orngtongue.gif. Turns out he was stuck like a cork in a bottle! He had a Charlie Brown head, and it was too big to fit through.

My CS went well, even though the actual 30 min of surgery was terrifying. I had no idea what to expect, being that numb was scary, and I had a bad reaction to the spinal meds and had a loooong panic attack accompanied by non stop vomiting through the procedure. Even so, if I didn't want a few more kids, I would have a repeat Cs without a second thought. The recovery was FAST and easy, my pain well managed, and everyone was super supportive and kind. Now that I know what to expect, it doesn't worry me. The hospital I went to is for womens care ONLY, and is very well known. I never knew a hospital could be so nice, even my DH was shocked at how everyone, from the cleaning lady to the OB went out of their way to explain every last little thing and ask permission. even to clean my toilet! If all hospitals were like this, the world would be a better place.

The risks are rare with VBAC, but catastrophic, even more so at home. But, I want more than 2 kids and am already over 30, so I don't think repeat CS is the best choice. VBAC may be better in this case, deciding WHERE and WITH WHO is the issue. I plan to talk to my OB and the CNM on his staff and see what they think. If they say CS is safer, I will do it, and if it becomes necessary, I will do it no problem. They are both pro VBAC, as is the hospital where I went, so I don't expect biased info. I *have* thought about HBAC or UCAC because I would like to have my baby where I live in Mexico (duel citizenship for baby this way) and I don't want to go to a local hospital (there are great private ones, but the attitude is not like it is in CA!). The risk and fear of pain stops me- having an emergency here is not like having one in the USA! If it went well, it could be amazing, but if anything went wrong, there would be no way to get help fast enough, and I am not going to a hotel. So I will probably end up with a hospital VBAC in the US, even though its not what I would want IDEALLY.

That's for me. For you, I would say that if you want a repeat CS for reasons of safety, or preference, than have one and don't worry about it. BUT, if you are only having one because you think you will be treated badly otherwise, I would suggest you try to find a better provider. I am ALL for a moms choice, but its not a choice if you are pushed into it, for whatever reason. Choose CS or VBAC because you feel it's the best for YOU, then worry about getting the situation right. You have time to find supportive people no matter what you want to do, and now that you know what to expect, this birth will be better.



That is exactly what I need to hear! My heart says VBAC. We want more children, a whole houseful please God and I cannot imagine it would be healthy to undergo surgery each time we have a baby. A VBAC is the right choice for us for so many reasons, but I also have fear and doubts that I am dealing with, trying to work out. It is really scary to think of having another c/s but I know this would be a totally different scenario, with doctors I know at a hospital I know. I have been through what most women fear, the hours and hours of labor pain. I can handle another surgical birth if it comes down to it.

post #49 of 102

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling with my birth options.  I'm sorry you guys are too, but it is comforting to not be alone in this!  In the last several posts, the minute but catastrophic risks of VBAC were mentioned, but not the mounting and sometimes catastrophic risks of multiple CS.  Don't forget it's not necessarly a "safe" choice either.  Please don't anyone take it wrong--remember I'm most likely having my 4th CS with this baby--and I'm certainly not judging!  I'm just not comfortable with my "choice." (I've not really been given a choice.  I'd rather try to VBAC in the hospital.)  I hemorrhaged to the brink of transfusion after my last CS.  It scared DH so much that it took a long time to convince him we should have another child. 

post #50 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling with my birth options.  I'm sorry you guys are too, but it is comforting to not be alone in this!  In the last several posts, the minute but catastrophic risks of VBAC were mentioned, but not the mounting and sometimes catastrophic risks of multiple CS.  Don't forget it's not necessarly a "safe" choice either.  Please don't anyone take it wrong--remember I'm most likely having my 4th CS with this baby--and I'm certainly not judging!  I'm just not comfortable with my "choice." (I've not really been given a choice.  I'd rather try to VBAC in the hospital.)  I hemorrhaged to the brink of transfusion after my last CS.  It scared DH so much that it took a long time to convince him we should have another child. 


That is so true and one of my biggest motivations for VBAC. From what I understand, after each successive c/s your risk for certain complications, such as placenta previa and placenta accretia increase exponentially. I came across this great abstract that you might want to print out and share with your doc, especially if you are thinking about more children in the future. Since he sounds like he is on the fence about a VBAC for you, showing that you are doing your homework might help push him over the edge and support your VBAC. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16738145

post #51 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_marie View Post
I'm planning a VBAC at The Farm where the cesarian rate is less than 2%.

 


I'm sooooo jealous! I've been to The Farm (went to the Midwife Assistant Workshop) and it was so amazing. The Farm is just incredibly beautiful and peaceful and the midwives are wonderful. I got to meet quite a few of them, but spent a good amount of time with Ina May, Stacy, and Pamela. I'd birth with them in a heartbeat!

 

I never did give any real update on me, so here's what's up. I'm a veteran, so if I was having a hospital birth, to get the VA to cover it, I'd have to go to the VA emergency room first, tell them I'm in labor, and be transported via ambulance to a civilian hospital. This whole process would take several hours - can you imagine spending several hours in labor in the car, an ambulance, and two different emergency rooms before getting to an actual L&D room??? Not to mention that if my labor with DS is any indication, by the time I'm in "real" labor, it'll be almost time to push. And that wouldn't cover anything to do with the baby and we make slightly too much for Medicaid, so I'd have to pay that out-of-pocket.

 

I absolutely can't afford a midwife (sole source of income for my family, using the tax return to stay home for 8 weeks after the birth, then FT work again). Plus, there are no midwives within 90 minutes of me. So even if I could afford one AND found one I clicked with, it would be a couple of hours before she could get to me, which would mean I'd probably end up with a UC anyway. I was planning a UC with DS and honestly I just feel so much more comfortable with the concept than with having someone else there. Probably has something to do with my social anxiety. I may not even have DH in the room, I'll decide that when it comes down to it. I'm not at all scared about the labor process or the birth, I'm actually really looking forward to it since I missed out on the active labor/pushing thing with DS. There is no doubt in my mind that I'll have a VBAC, but I do have a transfer birth plan with a C/S section and will have a transfer bag packed just in case.

post #52 of 102


 

Quote:


 



 


I think it is amazing to even FIND an OB who will consider a VBAMC! There is only one OB in Northern VA who will attend a VBAC and he is impossible to get an appointment with I hear. I am very blessed to have military insurance and the military doctors and midwives are semi-supportive of VBAC. I hope your visit goes well. You could at least tell him you would like to undergo a TOL (trial of labor) if your labor starts before 41 weeks. I know my MWs are going to encourage an induction before 41 weeks...it's making me sweat to think of being on a deadline! But like you I want more children, many more children. And I'm only 24, so I really want to give this my best effort.

 



 


 

Nerdymom,

 

If you do consider VBAC and you're worried about induction before 41 weeks you could always try delay tactics if the time comes. I've heard of women calling the day of the induction and saying they're coming down with a cold, no one can watch the little ones at home, DH had to go to work...Then they reschedule for later in the week. This is my plan if it comes to it, but my MW has already told me we won't have to worry about inductions until 42 weeks.

Also, I agree about military insurance. It's great, they cover almost anything buy my MW :( I had to switch to Standard, but I won't be paying that much for the delivery ($16 and change each day).

post #53 of 102

Minkajane

 

I am shocked you have to deal with the VA that way for labor! If you were to call 911 for an emergency and couldn't get to the VA in time and were taken to a civilian hospital what would happen? Is labor considered the same? I have heard of some people going to a civilian hospital while in labor and because they were pretty much pushing and they couldn't be transported to a military hospital, everything was covered because it's an emergency. I know the VA system is different than Tricare, but that really sucks! You pretty much would have to show up with your first contraction. I hope there's something else that can be done for you.

post #54 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post

Minkajane

 

I am shocked you have to deal with the VA that way for labor! If you were to call 911 for an emergency and couldn't get to the VA in time and were taken to a civilian hospital what would happen? Is labor considered the same? I have heard of some people going to a civilian hospital while in labor and because they were pretty much pushing and they couldn't be transported to a military hospital, everything was covered because it's an emergency. I know the VA system is different than Tricare, but that really sucks! You pretty much would have to show up with your first contraction. I hope there's something else that can be done for you.

 

I had to deal with the whole process when I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. It was too early to tell if I was pregnant, so we had to behave as if I was. The VA here apparently has no ultrasound facilities so they had to transfer me. I was at the VA for several hours in a crappy room with no TV and the bathroom down the hall, so I had to shuffle there in horrible pain every time I had to pee (and I pee a lot) before they managed to transfer me and I had a decent room with a bathroom. It SUCKED. And I had the civilian hospital harassing me for FOUR months before the VA finally paid them.

 

I'm not sure about emergencies, but I do know that they would transfer me to the VA as soon as I was stable. I know they wouldn't do that for labor, but since it wasn't pre-approved, I don't know if they'd pay anything. There may be some kind of provision in place for paying for emergencies, but I have no idea how that would work for labor. To be honest, I don't think THEY know. They're really confused when it comes to women anyway, especially young women. They know me by name at the clinic I go to, I'm that unusual. They just started offering women's health and pap smears last year.

post #55 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post


 

I'm not sure about emergencies, but I do know that they would transfer me to the VA as soon as I was stable. I know they wouldn't do that for labor, but since it wasn't pre-approved, I don't know if they'd pay anything. There may be some kind of provision in place for paying for emergencies, but I have no idea how that would work for labor. To be honest, I don't think THEY know. They're really confused when it comes to women anyway, especially young women. They know me by name at the clinic I go to, I'm that unusual. They just started offering women's health and pap smears last year.



Maybe it works like Tricare. If you are going in for a scheduled c/s or induction you need to get a referral and have it approved before you go to the hospital. If you don't, it won't be covered. The only people I know who deal with the VA are over the age of 50, so asking them wouldn't help you. Is there a customer service line or something along those lines to speak with? Do they send you to an OB or MW at least so you can get proper care?

post #56 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post
Maybe it works like Tricare. If you are going in for a scheduled c/s or induction you need to get a referral and have it approved before you go to the hospital. If you don't, it won't be covered. The only people I know who deal with the VA are over the age of 50, so asking them wouldn't help you. Is there a customer service line or something along those lines to speak with? Do they send you to an OB or MW at least so you can get proper care?


I have asked about a customer service line or a benefits booklet before, but I get the runaround. The whole thing is ridiculous. I'm doing a UP/UC, so I don't know if they'd refer me to an OB or not. There's an Air Force base nearby and that's where I was referred for my infertility, so I'm guessing I'd have to go up there (an hour each way with traffic and getting on the base) to see an OB for free. They'd probably want me to go there for the birth too. If I need to transfer, there's an urgent need, so no way am I going all the way up there. I'm going to the hospital two miles down the road, even if I have to pay for it.

post #57 of 102
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Nerdymom,

 

If you do consider VBAC and you're worried about induction before 41 weeks you could always try delay tactics if the time comes. I've heard of women calling the day of the induction and saying they're coming down with a cold, no one can watch the little ones at home, DH had to go to work...Then they reschedule for later in the week. This is my plan if it comes to it, but my MW has already told me we won't have to worry about inductions until 42 weeks.

Also, I agree about military insurance. It's great, they cover almost anything buy my MW :( I had to switch to Standard, but I won't be paying that much for the delivery ($16 and change each day).



Ooh, sneaky! I like that. I will have to remember that. Since I am only required to have 1 appt with an OB, to discuss my "options" I'm hoping to not face as much pressure, but you never know. I do plan on telling them that we plan on having a large family, and that I really need to VBAC to avoid multiple c/s in the future.



Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post
Maybe it works like Tricare. If you are going in for a scheduled c/s or induction you need to get a referral and have it approved before you go to the hospital. If you don't, it won't be covered. The only people I know who deal with the VA are over the age of 50, so asking them wouldn't help you. Is there a customer service line or something along those lines to speak with? Do they send you to an OB or MW at least so you can get proper care?


I have asked about a customer service line or a benefits booklet before, but I get the runaround. The whole thing is ridiculous. I'm doing a UP/UC, so I don't know if they'd refer me to an OB or not. There's an Air Force base nearby and that's where I was referred for my infertility, so I'm guessing I'd have to go up there (an hour each way with traffic and getting on the base) to see an OB for free. They'd probably want me to go there for the birth too. If I need to transfer, there's an urgent need, so no way am I going all the way up there. I'm going to the hospital two miles down the road, even if I have to pay for it.


That is insane. I hope that the VA improves and is able to offer better care for women like you in the future. I guess you are the first wave of the future for them!

 

 

I love how much diversity we have on this thread, from UC to CBAC and every stop inbetween!

post #58 of 102
Quote:

 

I love how much diversity we have on this thread, from UC to CBAC and every stop inbetween!



 

 

Me too!  Thanks, Nerdymom, for the resource on risks with multiple CS. 


Edited by jr'smom - 11/18/10 at 5:11pm
post #59 of 102

Here's the brief answer - I had an unplanned c/s with my son, and I am electing to have a c/s with my daughter. 

 

So this is my story.

 

My husband and I weren't really trying (nor were we not trying) to have my son - we had been stationed at Fort Lewis, WA and married for a little over a year when we found out we were having my son. Being pregnant with him was a surprise and quite a scary trip. I had bleeding in my first trimester, a bout of shingles early in my second trimester along with the start of my severe preeclampsia. We also found out both my husband and I were carriers for the Cystic Fibrosis gene mutation, and our son had a 25 percent chance of having CF, or a 50 percent chance of having my mutation and being sterile. More great news.

 

By the third trimester, I was off of inspections, relegated to sitting-only desk work and off my feet at my job as a health inspector. I was on the maximum amount of blood pressure medication and being monitored twice a week at my OB's office, had weekly ultrasounds to see how my son was progressing, and steroids at 23 weeks to hasten his lung maturity in case. I bought my absolutely fabulous Ameda Purely Yours pump a day after I got the shot in my butt.

 

After flirting with bp's as high as 155/110 through weeks 27 to 34, and hoping to any available deity that my baby viking would hod on "just one more week, just one more week" week after week, my pressure shot up to 160/115, and my OB admitted me to the hospital for monitoring. She knew I had been to CB classes, and I was prepared - yet nervous as hell - to do a VB. After back-to-back ultrasounds revealed that my son of 34w4d wasn't growing any more, I had no cervical dilation, my pressure was not dropping, my OB gave me a choice. She told me that my cervix was anywhere near ready for labor, and although she could try to induce me and let me experience about "30 or so hours of labor" to try to get my son out naturally, that in the end, she'd most likely have to give me a C/S anyway, and she would be worried about both the health of my son and I. 

 

After thinking about 30 hours of labor for which I was massively unprepared - both mentally and physically - as well as being worried about both my health and my son's, I decided to skip the induction and go for a C/S. Despite having a miss on the epidural and having to have a second one (I was the first epi that the anesthesiologist had to do with hibaclens because I have a severe iodine allergy), the C/S went smoothly and thanks to my OB's awesome surturing work (all of the surturing is done on the inside, the outer most skin layer was closed with steri-strips), my scar is barely visible and I have no adhesions. My son was born at 8PM that Thursday night, I saw him for about 3 minutes before he was transferred to a NICU in a different hospital 20 miles away. 

 

My family lives in the Midwest and the c/s was so sudden that nobody was able to really visit me. I spent the first night after my son was born by myself, and the following day, a family friend spent the day with me. My husband spent the next 2 days by my son's side. There were no happy family photos, no parade of well-wishers coming by with the typical post-birth schwag of fuzzy animals and fruit baskets.

 

The nursing staff that took care of me in my recovery were wonderful - they helped get me up and moving so I could recover faster, they made sure I was comfortable and my pain was well-managed, and they visited with me as often as I could because both my son and my husband weren't there. I also credit them with making sure I kept with my goal of breastfeeding - even though my son wasn't there to take it off the taps. They helped to start me pumping so that even though I wasn't near my son, I could still give him the best chow on the planet and establish a good milk supply early on. 

 

After getting myself sufficiently recovered enough to get out of the hospital on Saturday afternoon, I went to see my son. He was so tiny, and was on a CPAP mask because he was having trouble breathing. It was another 3 days before I got to hold him for the first time. Two weeks later, he finally came home with us, and my mom came to visit and help out, thankfully.

 

Almost 2 years later, he has some small issues from being a preemie, but he's a happy and healthy kid.

 

Eirik at 3 days

Eirik at 3 days

 

Eirik now

Eirik today (He loooooovvvess Hello Kitty and cats)

 

This time around, my blood pressure isn't sky-high, so I am hopeful that my daughter will get to cook for the full amount of time. I am in NC, and although I have a civilian doctor, I can honestly say that I really dislike the guy. I don't have the same awesome relationship I had with him that I had with my previous OB and her staff, and the care that I have been getting hasn't been to the same standards. Besides, when a woman tells you she had severe pre-eclampsia and had to have an unplanned, last minute C/S due to a dangerous BP spike and asks to be high risk, the right thing to say is OK. It's not "A lot of women ask to be high risk and ask for a lot of unnecessary tests that end up costing a lot of money. I just don't think you need to be high risk at this point." 

 

My husband is looking to reenlist and get station choice, so we are hoping to PCS back to Washington - not just because we really liked it there, but also for the more progressive obstetrical care and outstanding NICU facilities in the Tacoma and Seattle areas. He really loved my OB and the amount of care she gave us, as well as the great job she did making sure our son was given the best shot at being healthy and the great job she did putting me back together again. 

 

Would I have another C/S? That depends. If I am here in NC, I might go VBAC, just because I don't want to have a half-assed job done on my C/S and end up with a whopper scar and adhesions. There is also a very small part (like the size of a peanut) that would like to have a natural birth. If I could find an OB that uses the same surturing methods and actually gave me the same quality of care, I would go C/S. As it stands, if we do PCS to Washington, I would go back to my original OB and have a C/S without a moment's hesitation. As I have told every one of my female friends at Lewis who is pregnant, my OB totally rocked, she provides excellent care and I would love to have her deliver my daughter. :)

post #60 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post



Quote:

 

I love how much diversity we have on this thread, from UC to CBAC and every stop inbetween!



 

 

Me too!  Thanks, Nerdymom, for the resource on risks with multiple CS. 


You are most welcome. That excerpt is my big motivation for conquering fear and going for the VBAC with gusto.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kel View Post

Here's the brief answer - I had an unplanned c/s with my son, and I am electing to have a c/s with my daughter. 

 

So this is my story.

 

My husband and I weren't really trying (nor were we not trying) to have my son - we had been stationed at Fort Lewis, WA and married for a little over a year when we found out we were having my son. Being pregnant with him was a surprise and quite a scary trip. I had bleeding in my first trimester, a bout of shingles early in my second trimester along with the start of my severe preeclampsia. We also found out both my husband and I were carriers for the Cystic Fibrosis gene mutation, and our son had a 25 percent chance of having CF, or a 50 percent chance of having my mutation and being sterile. More great news.

 

By the third trimester, I was off of inspections, relegated to sitting-only desk work and off my feet at my job as a health inspector. I was on the maximum amount of blood pressure medication and being monitored twice a week at my OB's office, had weekly ultrasounds to see how my son was progressing, and steroids at 23 weeks to hasten his lung maturity in case. I bought my absolutely fabulous Ameda Purely Yours pump a day after I got the shot in my butt.

 

After flirting with bp's as high as 155/110 through weeks 27 to 34, and hoping to any available deity that my baby viking would hod on "just one more week, just one more week" week after week, my pressure shot up to 160/115, and my OB admitted me to the hospital for monitoring. She knew I had been to CB classes, and I was prepared - yet nervous as hell - to do a VB. After back-to-back ultrasounds revealed that my son of 34w4d wasn't growing any more, I had no cervical dilation, my pressure was not dropping, my OB gave me a choice. She told me that my cervix was anywhere near ready for labor, and although she could try to induce me and let me experience about "30 or so hours of labor" to try to get my son out naturally, that in the end, she'd most likely have to give me a C/S anyway, and she would be worried about both the health of my son and I. 

 

After thinking about 30 hours of labor for which I was massively unprepared - both mentally and physically - as well as being worried about both my health and my son's, I decided to skip the induction and go for a C/S. Despite having a miss on the epidural and having to have a second one (I was the first epi that the anesthesiologist had to do with hibaclens because I have a severe iodine allergy), the C/S went smoothly and thanks to my OB's awesome surturing work (all of the surturing is done on the inside, the outer most skin layer was closed with steri-strips), my scar is barely visible and I have no adhesions. My son was born at 8PM that Thursday night, I saw him for about 3 minutes before he was transferred to a NICU in a different hospital 20 miles away. 

 

My family lives in the Midwest and the c/s was so sudden that nobody was able to really visit me. I spent the first night after my son was born by myself, and the following day, a family friend spent the day with me. My husband spent the next 2 days by my son's side. There were no happy family photos, no parade of well-wishers coming by with the typical post-birth schwag of fuzzy animals and fruit baskets.

 

The nursing staff that took care of me in my recovery were wonderful - they helped get me up and moving so I could recover faster, they made sure I was comfortable and my pain was well-managed, and they visited with me as often as I could because both my son and my husband weren't there. I also credit them with making sure I kept with my goal of breastfeeding - even though my son wasn't there to take it off the taps. They helped to start me pumping so that even though I wasn't near my son, I could still give him the best chow on the planet and establish a good milk supply early on. 

 

After getting myself sufficiently recovered enough to get out of the hospital on Saturday afternoon, I went to see my son. He was so tiny, and was on a CPAP mask because he was having trouble breathing. It was another 3 days before I got to hold him for the first time. Two weeks later, he finally came home with us, and my mom came to visit and help out, thankfully.

 

Almost 2 years later, he has some small issues from being a preemie, but he's a happy and healthy kid.

 

Eirik at 3 days

Eirik at 3 days

 

Eirik now

Eirik today (He loooooovvvess Hello Kitty and cats)

 

This time around, my blood pressure isn't sky-high, so I am hopeful that my daughter will get to cook for the full amount of time. I am in NC, and although I have a civilian doctor, I can honestly say that I really dislike the guy. I don't have the same awesome relationship I had with him that I had with my previous OB and her staff, and the care that I have been getting hasn't been to the same standards. Besides, when a woman tells you she had severe pre-eclampsia and had to have an unplanned, last minute C/S due to a dangerous BP spike and asks to be high risk, the right thing to say is OK. It's not "A lot of women ask to be high risk and ask for a lot of unnecessary tests that end up costing a lot of money. I just don't think you need to be high risk at this point." 

 

My husband is looking to reenlist and get station choice, so we are hoping to PCS back to Washington - not just because we really liked it there, but also for the more progressive obstetrical care and outstanding NICU facilities in the Tacoma and Seattle areas. He really loved my OB and the amount of care she gave us, as well as the great job she did making sure our son was given the best shot at being healthy and the great job she did putting me back together again. 

 

Would I have another C/S? That depends. If I am here in NC, I might go VBAC, just because I don't want to have a half-assed job done on my C/S and end up with a whopper scar and adhesions. There is also a very small part (like the size of a peanut) that would like to have a natural birth. If I could find an OB that uses the same surturing methods and actually gave me the same quality of care, I would go C/S. As it stands, if we do PCS to Washington, I would go back to my original OB and have a C/S without a moment's hesitation. As I have told every one of my female friends at Lewis who is pregnant, my OB totally rocked, she provides excellent care and I would love to have her deliver my daughter. :)


 

Thank you for sharing! I am so happy for you that your BPs are looking good this time around. Oh, and your current OBs comment - ugh. How freaking rude. I hope you are able to get stationed in WA again. DH and I would love to try for either WA or AK area when he re-ups. There are lots of CG in both states and we are DEFINITELY ready to get away from DC and all the drama. ugh.

 

What is your EDD for this babe?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2011