or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Vegetarian and Vegan › Animal hit by car--Which is more humane?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Animal hit by car--Which is more humane?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
This is kind of an off the wall question, but nontheless it is something I encountered this morning on my way to work and has been bothering me since.

If a squirrel or other small animal gets hit by a car but is suffering and still alive, is it more humane to pass him up and let him die from his injuries or to use your car to end his suffering?
post #2 of 9
Once it has been determined that there is absolutely no way to save his life (I have taken many a small animal to the vet/rescue group), then I think the right thing to do is to end the suffering. Just my opinion.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Once it has been determined that there is absolutely no way to save his life (I have taken many a small animal to the vet/rescue group), then I think the right thing to do is to end the suffering. Just my opinion.
Agreed. A halfway crushed animal probably cannot be saved and it's much more humane to just end it for him than to let him die slowly.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
The halfway crushed thing was the situation, and I chose to end its suffering. It makes me sick to do that though.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicam View Post
The halfway crushed thing was the situation, and I chose to end its suffering. It makes me sick to do that though.
I'm willing to bet you would have felt worse if you'd driven by and wondered about it all day.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
you're probably right
post #7 of 9
I didnt mean to make light of what you're feeling. I hope I didn't come across like that...

Even as a non veg*n I hate seeing animals suffer
post #8 of 9
Probably to end the suffering.

But I'm not sure I could do it. It would tear me apart either way.

A squirrel ran into my car one time (literally, it ran into my car, not the other way around) and it crawled off. I went walking that night by the same spot and was actually relieved to see it dead next to the road. That, to me, meant it had died quickly, instead of getting far away slowly and dying.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I didnt mean to make light of what you're feeling. I hope I didn't come across like that...

Even as a non veg*n I hate seeing animals suffer
Don't worry, you didn't come across that way. I think you made a good point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vegetarian and Vegan
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Vegetarian and Vegan › Animal hit by car--Which is more humane?