or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › If you haven't seen this miniseries, go to Netflix NOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you haven't seen this miniseries, go to Netflix NOW!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Clear away any plans you have for the next 4 hours and prepare to delight in the most scrumptious viewing experience you've had since, well, ever.

North and South (the BBC production, not the civil war thingy). Available on instant play. That is all.
post #2 of 19
Just put it on my queue! Now I need 4 hours of freetime
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post
Clear away any plans you have for the next 4 hours and prepare to delight in the most scrumptious viewing experience you've had since, well, ever.

North and South (the BBC production, not the civil war thingy). Available on instant play. That is all.
Is this based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell? I her books. Her book Wives and Daughters was also done by the BBC (shown on PBS' Masterpiece Theatre here in the States) in 2000.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
Is this based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell? I her books. Her book Wives and Daughters was also done by the BBC (shown on PBS' Masterpiece Theatre here in the States) in 2000.
Yes!!! The most beautifully done adaptation I have seen. There are a few departures from the book, so beware if that tends to bother you, but it's totally understandable why these changes were made.
post #5 of 19
OK, I added it. I will watch it after I am done with Meerkat Manor
post #6 of 19
OK, I don't believe in coincidences, (or more aptly put, I don't believe that similar or comparable coinciding events having no meaning, but I think I'm about to go way to far in explaining something obvious, so I'm going to stop with this parenthetical digression) so what are you doing in my head? Yup, this thread is over half a year old ... but I just saw it today and it popped up when I was searching for something else. I watched North and South episode 1 last night because I miss Downton Abbey and was looking for something with similar pacing.

ANYWAY ... so, did anyone else watch this? I'm going to watch the second episode tonight. I have not yet read the book, but I'm enjoying the miniseries and I'm excited to get a little deeper into the story this evening.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Sisko View Post

OK, I don't believe in coincidences, (or more aptly put, I don't believe that similar or comparable coinciding events having no meaning, but I think I'm about to go way to far in explaining something obvious, so I'm going to stop with this parenthetical digression) so what are you doing in my head? Yup, this thread is over half a year old ... but I just saw it today and it popped up when I was searching for something else. I watched North and South episode 1 last night because I miss Downton Abbey and was looking for something with similar pacing.

ANYWAY ... so, did anyone else watch this? I'm going to watch the second episode tonight. I have not yet read the book, but I'm enjoying the miniseries and I'm excited to get a little deeper into the story this evening.


Speaking of coincidences, I really haven't been on this forum for half a year, but now I'm ttc and have been back for the past week.  I totally would have missed your response to my thread!

 

When you finish watching let me know what you thought!

 

post #8 of 19

Thanks to the reemergence of this thread... I watched the entire series last night!!!    It was awesome!!!  I really enjoyed it, especially the end.  My heart was definitely beating faster. 

 

Thanks for the recommendation!

post #9 of 19

Oh what fun!  I haven't heard of this, it's now in my queue.  Another slim coincidence, we were just watching re-runs of the BBC series Robin Hood on Netflix, where Richard Armitage plays the horrible Guy of Gisborne.  I'm happy to see him in something else. I'm just happy to see him. orngbiggrin.gif

post #10 of 19

Richard Armitage plays the horrible Guy of Gisborne.  I'm happy to see him in something else. I'm just happy to see him. orngbiggrin.gif

 

 

Have you caught him on the latest seasons of MI-5?

 

 

post #11 of 19

MI5:  we really need to give that show another chance.  Dh and I watched the first season.  But in all sincerity, we didn't go on with the series because dh was too disturbed by the second episode, where the bad guy utilized a deep fryer to gory effect.  Seriously, dh called me from work the next day to say that scene was still haunting him.  So we finished the season and left it at that.  Dh is definitely a sensitive guy in some regards. love.gif

post #12 of 19

Richard Armitage didn't join MI-5 until Season 7.  I watched the 1st - 3rd seasons, but I must admit that after Mathew MacFadyen's departure in Season 3, I just never got into it again. 

 

A British friend suggested I start again at Season 7... it has been great! 

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

 I'm just happy to see him. orngbiggrin.gif

 

 

 

Well, you will be happy to know that we will be seeing a lot more of him in the US, as he is in the upcoming Captain America movies and also just started filiming, The Hobbitt. 

 

You should check him out in The Vicar of Dibley episodes.  He's great in them! 

 

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post



 

Well, you will be happy to know that we will be seeing a lot more of him in the US, as he is in the upcoming Captain America movies and also just started filiming, The Hobbitt. 

 

You should check him out in The Vicar of Dibley episodes.  He's great in them! 

 

 

 

Well, that's just exciting all around.  biggrinbounce.gif
 

 

post #15 of 19

Found this thread quite by accident and now I'm going to sleep way past my bedtime because I just HAD to watch all four episodes.

 

That was really good!!! So glad you originally posted this thread!! THANKS!!!!

post #16 of 19

So I put this series in my netflix queue when I first saw this thread, and I just watched it yesterday and today.  I loved it.  I tried Wives and Daughters put didn't really get into it, and now I'm watching Lark Rise to Candleford.  But I loved watching it on my iPad, because I was just lying in bed with my earbuds in and I could really pay attention to it, which was part of the issue with Wives & Daughters.

 

 

post #17 of 19

I just finished Downton Abbey (loved it!) and was looking for another British period piece to watch, yay. A little excited to have been diagnosed with walking pneumonia because I am being given enough relaxation time to watch some of this! Thank you for the recommendation!

post #18 of 19
Downton Abbey was a favorite for me, so I will check this out too. We plan on cancelling our netflix account soon anyway and I'll watch this first. smile.gif
post #19 of 19

OOOh ... I hope it's still on streaming ... we loved Downtown Abby and couldn't find anything else to watch afterwards.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Books, Music, and Media
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › If you haven't seen this miniseries, go to Netflix NOW!