or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › pregnant and over 35 tribe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

pregnant and over 35 tribe - Page 2

post #21 of 323
DH and I are first time parents. I am glad this new tribe is forming!

I am 42, and DH is 46. Our baby is expected to arrive around November 30th.

I have been seeing a CNM. I thought she was okay with my desire for few or no interventions, but at my last appointment she told me I'll need to have weekly nonstress tests and ultrasounds beginning at week 36. When I asked why, her response was "advanced maternal age." I told her I am not crazy about all the ultrasound exposure and want to talk more about it at my next appointment. In the meantime, I scheduled a consult with a CNM at another hospital who (I have heard) really believes in the spirit of midwifery and is not overly medicalized.
post #22 of 323
I'm 37, DH is 36, and this is our 3rd child. My first were born at ages 28 and 32. I am way more exhausted than I remember being before; don't know if that's because of age or having a boy!

This will be VBAC #2. We opted for the NT, complete screen, and level II ultrasound because we like information. All our risks from that came out very low, so we did no amnio (it would have taken a very high risk for me to agree to that). I think this is my last pg unless mother nature decides otherwise (I was still on the fence about #3 when she decided for me this time).
post #23 of 323
I'll be 40 in a couple weeks, DP is 39. My others were born when I was 30 and 36, and we had a 2nd trimester loss last year. His twins were born when he was 33.

This has been a rough ride, as with the last 2 pregnancies. Hyperemesis, which this time I am taking zofran for, which is helping. Im still often queasy, but the vomiting is almost gone. Totally exhausted, though! I could nap every day, but don't always get to with the boys.

We did the NT scan and the first part of the quad screening, numbers came back great, and then I missed the date range for the 2nd blood draw for the quad screening. I am also doing another ultrasound, but not sure if we'll find out the gender. Leaning towards not. 1st ds was a hospital birth, 2nd was a home birth, miscarried in the hospital, and this baby will be a hospital birth, b/c that's what our insurance will cover, and the economy has not been kind to us. I'd prefer to birth at home.

Last pg for me. It's too hard on me, and we already have quite a rowdy brood, and will completely fill a minivan.
post #24 of 323
i did the maternal serum (quad) screening and came back with a 1/175 chance of having a child with down syndrome, which is double the normal risk based on my age.

then i had a level 2 ultrasound which also showed soft markers, so my risk went up to 1/20.

tomorrow (monday) i go for amnio to see if this child is chromosomally normal, or trisomic. i'm nervous but the way i see it, the sooner i know, the more prepared i can be. i'll update in a couple weeks with the result.
post #25 of 323
myk: good luck today.
post #26 of 323
Hi everyone!

I'm Jess and I'm 36, will be almost 37 when DS#2 is born. I'm due around October 10 or so. DH will be 42, maybe 43 but I sure hope I'm not still pregnant on his birthday (I'd be 42 w)!! I just can't wait that long. This pregnancy has been sooooo much harder than my first, which was less than two years ago. Someone told me that I didn't leave enough time to recover between pregnancies and though I was really annoyed with her at the time, I think she was right. I've been so exhausted and very very sick. Hospitalized with HG and hyperthyroid. The thyroid has resolved thank goodness but I'm still puking daily and feel awful. Thank goodness DH and DS are both really easy, happy guys and they're taking it all in stride.

As for testing, I did what's called "integrated screening" here - results from an ultrasound at 12 weeks plus blood tests at 12 and 15 weeks are combined to give risk factors. It's far from a sure thing and there are tons of false negatives but I came to terms with that. If anything spooky turned up, I would do amnio I think. I also had a heart-specific ultrasound at 21 weeks because hypothyroidism can cause heart defects. All clear as far as we could tell.

The biggest life change I'm going through now is that as of last Friday, I'm officially a SAHM. I liked my job and having DS in daycare was working out well enough but the days were going by too quickly and I really don't want to miss a thing. I think my age has something to do with that - time is more precious than it was, yk?

Nice to meet you all! Myk, I'll be thinking of you and I hope that you hear reassuring news as a result of the amnio.
post #27 of 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmommy View Post
Lillymonster and Samstres-my DD was born 4/19/07!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post
oh, very cool. my b-day is also april 19th (but just a few years prior to 2007).
My DD's birthday is April 19 also! (2006) she's in good company!! She and I are both Aries, makes for a spirited meeting of the minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
tomorrow (monday) i go for amnio to see if this child is chromosomally normal, or trisomic. i'm nervous but the way i see it, the sooner i know, the more prepared i can be. i'll update in a couple weeks with the result.
Good luck today, myk!!!
post #28 of 323
baby4at44, 44, 54, 05/02/2011,


Also, I have an 18 year time span between births. I have 3 sons: 24, 20 & 17months old & 1 in the oven!
post #29 of 323
thanks the amnio went well. it HURT, but i expected it to (i have a much lower pain threshold than average people). so far no amniotic leaks or anything, just mild cramping. i should get the FISH test results in 2-3 days and the karyotype in 2 weeks or so.

hopefully then i'll be able to just relax
post #30 of 323
Thread Starter 
to our newest members: m0xxie, honeybee, finnegansmom, mclisa, Cassaba, jensb, stormgirl, JessieBird and baby4at44.

if i've posted anyone's info incorrectly, please let me know. i'm bound to make a mistake sooner or later. i've sorted our members alphabetically (i'm kinda obsessive about alphabetizing -- books, cds, the kitchen cupboards, the medicine cabinet, the linen closet -- yes it's possible). however, i'm realizing that it would make more sense to arrange by due date (so it will be easier to see whose due date is coming up). so, i'll be fixing that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0xxie View Post
My husband and I will both be 43 when our first baby (a girl) is due (1/23/2011). After 2 years of trying, and a miscarriage, we are both ecstatic about achieving a natural, unassisted pregnancy.

Aside from severe morning sickness and exhaustion through the first trimester, the pregnancy has been going well for me, and I don't feel my age has been any impediment. In fact, I forget that we are somewhat exceptional, except for some strange comments from medical personnel like, "Is this your own egg?" or "Did you wake up one day and just decide to have a child?".

Is it so strange that I would want to wait until conditions in my life were optimal before trying to conceive? That I would want to be sure I had a great partner, a solid relationship, and a measure of financial and emotional stability before attempting to bring a new life into the world?
how wonderful for you both. you must be thrilled!

it's shocking the things people say. i have a list full of them.

i know what you mean about waiting until everything was right. i feel exactly the same way. someone once asked me why i waited until i was 35 before i had my first child. my reply, "because i didn't meet the father of my children until i was 33". duh!

yes, i could have had children at 20 or 25 or 30, but i (speaking only for myself, of course) wouldn't have been the mom i wanted to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
This is our 4th baby, will be our 3rd homebirth.
oh, how wonderful. i'm hoping for a homebirth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
I do believe medical personnel are more relaxed if you have had previous children than if your first is after the age of 35 (or 40). That is what I was told by the tech doing my sonogram anyway. If you have had previous children with no genetic issues than it's easier to deny those services as opposed to women who have never had a child. She told me she was had to do a u/s scan for a woman having her first age the age of 45, they would not have considered her as high of a risk if she had other children. We got into this discussion when she basically asked me if my age was on my only "risk" and I said yes, and she went into a long conversation about it, it was interesting how that practice treated it. I only went there for the sonograms.
i think this is true. i had my first at (nearly) 35 with no genetic issues and i've been told that the likelihood of having another uneventful pregnancy and healthy child at 38 is very good because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
This is our third baby, my fourth pregnancy. I had a loss at about 13 weeks (a missed MC) in Feb. It took about a year to get pregnant with this one, including the loss. I'm thrilled to be here and can't wait to get to know you all better!
so glad you're here.

i had a loss last year and it also took me a year to get pregnant again. i must say i'm thrilled, but nervous because it's early still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
I get to join in as well. I thought I would be done having kids by that dreaded age of 35, but I guess not.
oh, it's not so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassaba View Post
DH and I are first time parents. I am glad this new tribe is forming!
glad you found us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensb View Post
I'm 37, DH is 36, and this is our 3rd child. My first were born at ages 28 and 32. I am way more exhausted than I remember being before; don't know if that's because of age or having a boy!
oh, let's say it's the boy thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post
I'll be 40 in a couple weeks, DP is 39. My others were born when I was 30 and 36, and we had a 2nd trimester loss last year. His twins were born when he was 33.

This has been a rough ride, as with the last 2 pregnancies. Hyperemesis, which this time I am taking zofran for, which is helping. Im still often queasy, but the vomiting is almost gone. Totally exhausted, though! I could nap every day, but don't always get to with the boys.
hope you're feeling better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
The biggest life change I'm going through now is that as of last Friday, I'm officially a SAHM. I liked my job and having DS in daycare was working out well enough but the days were going by too quickly and I really don't want to miss a thing. I think my age has something to do with that - time is more precious than it was, yk?
big change, but sounds like a positive one. enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
My DD's birthday is April 19 also! (2006) she's in good company!! She and I are both Aries, makes for a spirited meeting of the minds!
it sure does! dd and i are both aries and i was sort of hoping for a houseful of aries women (for my pisces husband to contend with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby4at44 View Post
baby4at44, 44, 54, 05/02/2011,


Also, I have an 18 year time span between births. I have 3 sons: 24, 20 & 17months old & 1 in the oven!
wow, how cool. there are 20 years between my mom (she's the oldest) and her youngest brother. i always liked the idea of that (tough to do, however, when i didn't have my first until 35).

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
thanks the amnio went well. it HURT, but i expected it to (i have a much lower pain threshold than average people). so far no amniotic leaks or anything, just mild cramping. i should get the FISH test results in 2-3 days and the karyotype in 2 weeks or so.

hopefully then i'll be able to just relax
thinking of you.
post #31 of 323
I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest in this tribe.

roslyn, 46, dh 46, due May 1, 2011

My history is sketchy to say the least. I had a loss at 20 weeks in 2006 due to undiagnosed elevated insulin. A live birth 2004 and another loss in 2002 due to fibroids.

I thought this was over since I was told by an RE in 2007 that my FSH levels were off the chart high and I'd never conceive again. This spring I decided to lose weight and stopped eating sugar or drinking alcohol. I also began running five days a week and lifting weights. Got pregnant two months later!

Anyway, I'm happy to be amongst you and I'm delighted to be pregnant though our financial situation could be better. I'm unemployed and can't get insurance due to my pre-existing condition. The policy at my husband's job is too expensive, so I'm on Medicaid. That makes me feel like such a loser. A woman of my age should be in a better position than this, but there you go.
post #32 of 323
That's comforting to hear. Even the baby I lost at 20 weeks had no abnormalities, and my son was fine and I had him in my 40th year. That is something I'm worried about, and plan to have the testing done even though we didn't with my son. Our economic situation was much better with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
I do believe medical personnel are more relaxed if you have had previous children than if your first is after the age of 35 (or 40). That is what I was told by the tech doing my sonogram anyway. If you have had previous children with no genetic issues than it's easier to deny those services as opposed to women who have never had a child. She told me she was had to do a u/s scan for a woman having her first age the age of 45, they would not have considered her as high of a risk if she had other children. We got into this discussion when she basically asked me if my age was on my only "risk" and I said yes, and she went into a long conversation about it, it was interesting how that practice treated it. I only went there for the sonograms.
post #33 of 323
Hi everybody! I'm Juliebird. I'm 41 and DH is 42. We're expecting our fourth 11/14/10!!

I have 3 boys, ages 15, 14 and 3 (another big age gap, but not as big as baby4at44!). I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes which I didn't have any of my other pregnancies, but I was overweight when I got pregnant and my dad has diabetes...

Just starting to measure my glucose 5x a day and cutting out most carbs. So far, my sugar has gone wayyy down, so I'm hoping I'll be able to control exclusively through diet.

This birth will be a hospital birth as my others were, and hopefully my third VBAC.

Glad to find you and am looking forward to hearing about your experiences
post #34 of 323
Hi all!

I am Amy and will be 37 when baby is born, DP will be 36 and we are due 4/3/11.

We each have 2 children from our previous marriages (each have a boy & girl) so baby will be the "tie breaker" in gender. The only thing I am worried about is the age span: DS17, SD13, SS11, DD9! I am also a little worried about L&D since it has been so long and I had some issues delivering DD. She had a merconium stain and then the placenta stuck to my uterus. I am hoping that will be the issue this time around and we have a nice peaceful birth.

I know we will be discussing testing at my appt on the 13th. I did have the Cystic Fibrosis test done and that came back negative. I would like to go ahead and have the NT Scan and Quad done. With 4 active children I want to be prepared in the event there is a problem.
post #35 of 323
great news! the preliminary test results are in, and she's chromosomally NORMAL! woo hoo!

yup, that's SHE. i'm gonna have to buy some majorly cute outfits for this girlie.
post #36 of 323
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
great news! the preliminary test results are in, and she's chromosomally NORMAL! woo hoo!

yup, that's SHE. i'm gonna have to buy some majorly cute outfits for this girlie.
oh, how wonderful. congrats!
post #37 of 323
Thread Starter 
ok, so i rearranged members' names by due date. gradstudentmommy, looks like you've got about a week and a half to go. how are you feeling?

stormgirl, any approximate due date you could share?

JessieBird, just noticed you're due 10-10-10. how cool! that'll be easy for others to remember (if he actually does come on the 10th).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roslyn View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest in this tribe.
you sure are (so far). i've added a little something next to your name. we salute you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roslyn View Post
I thought this was over since I was told by an RE in 2007 that my FSH levels were off the chart high and I'd never conceive again. This spring I decided to lose weight and stopped eating sugar or drinking alcohol. I also began running five days a week and lifting weights. Got pregnant two months later!
good for you for getting healthy (and for proving them wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roslyn View Post
Anyway, I'm happy to be amongst you and I'm delighted to be pregnant though our financial situation could be better. I'm unemployed and can't get insurance due to my pre-existing condition. The policy at my husband's job is too expensive, so I'm on Medicaid. That makes me feel like such a loser. A woman of my age should be in a better position than this, but there you go.
it is what it is. focus on what you do have (and what's coming). i used to obsess over where i thought i'd be at a certain age in my life and now i just try to enjoy where i am. i plan to live to be 120, so i've got lots of time still.

welcome juliebird and ballmom!
post #38 of 323
Samstress - The front page/top post looks great! I only wish I could be even half as organized as you appear to be

I am never very good at personals, but I do like to lurk and follow people! Hopefully no one minds if my posts are a bit sporadic.

Tracy
post #39 of 323
MYK-great news! You must be so relieved.

Samstress-I'm really uncomfortable. This has been an extremely difficult pregnancy (both physically and emotionally). I'm really, REALLY ready to pop this baby out, but intuitively I feel like I have at least 2 more weeks to go. My DD was born at 41 weeks 1 day. Time seems to be standing still these last few weeks and I'm too tired/uncomfortable to get out and do anything to take my mind off of it.
post #40 of 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
great news! the preliminary test results are in, and she's chromosomally NORMAL! woo hoo!

yup, that's SHE. i'm gonna have to buy some majorly cute outfits for this girlie.
Woot! Woot! That's so awesome and such a relief.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › pregnant and over 35 tribe