or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Military Moms: Sept/Oct 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Military Moms: Sept/Oct 2010 - Page 2

post #21 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Haha, Mae. That's nice that he gets to come home early.

I keep forgetting to ask. Did anyone else get the, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," survey? I got it, took it and returned it. It was so silly but I guess I can see why a lot of the things asked could be issues within the military community.
Yep, I got it. I thought it was stupid. I sent it back, but all of my answers were like "don't care, don't care...don't go to X, Y, or Z anyway because the coast guard doesn't have enough money to have X, Y and Z...."

I get the issues they were getting at, especially re. on-base housing, but I'm so cynical I guess that it seems like they will use the construe the results in a way that seems to justify whatever decision they make about the law.

So apparently when Huz checked in to his duty station this last time (more than a year ago), they cancelled my dental insurance without telling me. Not his, just mine. So today I called to get info on it because I need to see a dentist, and SURPRISE! no dental insurance. I swear I thought this was resolved. So now I have to wait until it restarts 10/1 to go see a dentist. What a PITA. Not the end of the world, but geez.
post #22 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Haha, Mae. That's nice that he gets to come home early.

I keep forgetting to ask. Did anyone else get the, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," survey? I got it, took it and returned it. It was so silly but I guess I can see why a lot of the things asked could be issues within the military community.
Yeah, I received it, completed it, and returned it. I agree that much of it was pointless, but my DH encouraged me to complete it and add my comments at the end. Without getting too much into debatable details, my main concerns about repealing DADT are economic and societal in nature, and I feel that the military would have to change a lot from the inside out to accomodate and welcome families that fall outside of the traditional heterosexual marriage model.
post #23 of 263
I agree, Tabitha, which is why I understand the questions they asked. But I also think it's time things were changed. I think it will be difficult if the law is repealed but, hopefully, better for everyone in the long run. I thought it was important for me to fill it out and return it because my answers were all pretty much don't care or wouldn't change what I do. I think it's important to get as many of those answers into the survey.
post #24 of 263
I didn't find the questions terribly relevant to my actual opinions. Sounds like they'll have a lot of comments to sort through!
post #25 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I didn't find the questions terribly relevant to my actual opinions.
That's a good point. I never even considered things like what I would do if a homosexual couple lived in base housing near me or attended unit functions. It wouldn't matter to me, anyway, which is probably why I never thought about it. I really don't see anything like that happening right away. I seriously doubt they'd go straight from Don't Ask, Don't Tell to giving homosexual couples all the same privileges as married couples. I assume changes would be made slowly over a continuum.
post #26 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I never even considered things like what I would do if a homosexual couple lived in base housing near me or attended unit functions.
Seriously.

What would I do? Well it depends on the couple. I would befriend them if I got along with them and treat them like I treat everyone else if I don't. *sigh*

BTW... Earls a wimp. And I give up. I'm never having this baby.

Bedtime.
post #27 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

BTW... Earls a wimp. And I give up. I'm never having this baby.

Bedtime.
LOL! My mom went to 43w when she was pregnant with my brother. She told me that the night before she finally went into labor, she went into his room, took down the crib and all other furniture, and put it all in the garage because she "wasn't ever birthing this baby!". She was holding him 12 hours later .

Sleep tight!
post #28 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
Yeah, I received it, completed it, and returned it. I agree that much of it was pointless, but my DH encouraged me to complete it and add my comments at the end. Without getting too much into debatable details, my main concerns about repealing DADT are economic and societal in nature, and I feel that the military would have to change a lot from the inside out to accomodate and welcome families that fall outside of the traditional heterosexual marriage model.


I completely agree with you. I also didn't think about the "what if a gay couple was living next to you on base" type of stuff. I honestly don't really care. If I like them and we get along, great... if not...great. Who cares? However, I completely understand the soldier's side of it: Shared bed quarters, shared showers.... I can understand why so many of them are so hesitant about it all.
post #29 of 263
Great birthday today. Very long and eventful. Still no baby though. Going to bed now. Just happy I got out of the house... especially with just DH... especially since that probably will not happen again for a long long time (I hate leaving my babies before they ween!)
post #30 of 263
Hi folks, been offline for a while.
I'm about halfway thru our cross country PCS, things are going smooth, the pack up and load out when pretty darn smooth, let's see how things look on the other end.

And we got to have our anatomy scan right before we left Ft Lewis, we are having one boy and one girl!

Sadly I also found out that the great midwife at Madigan finally got water births owed there!!!! Right when im leaving
post #31 of 263
Popping in, haven't posted in a longtime!

Anyway, I'm a Navy wife and mama to 3. We live in Hawaii.

I'm reading but I'm not much of a poster. I just never know what to say.
post #32 of 263
Adorkable ~ A boy and a girl! Glad the moving has gone smoothly so far. Be safe.
post #33 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Great birthday today. Very long and eventful. Still no baby though. Going to bed now. Just happy I got out of the house... especially with just DH... especially since that probably will not happen again for a long long time (I hate leaving my babies before they ween!)
Happy belated birthday, Mae! I'm glad that you and DH were able to enjoy some alone time today. I know what you mean about getting out without kiddos prior to weaning.. I only do it if necessary (i.e. dental work, medical emergency). Otherwise, they go where I go!
post #34 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
Hi folks, been offline for a while.
I'm about halfway thru our cross country PCS, things are going smooth, the pack up and load out when pretty darn smooth, let's see how things look on the other end.

And we got to have our anatomy scan right before we left Ft Lewis, we are having one boy and one girl!

Sadly I also found out that the great midwife at Madigan finally got water births owed there!!!! Right when im leaving
Congrats Adorkable! What a blessing - a boy and a girl .

Thanks for the heads up on the water births at Madigan. I'll ask my OB if I'm eligible at my next appointment.
post #35 of 263
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
Hi folks, been offline for a while.
I'm about halfway thru our cross country PCS, things are going smooth, the pack up and load out when pretty darn smooth, let's see how things look on the other end.

And we got to have our anatomy scan right before we left Ft Lewis, we are having one boy and one girl!

Sadly I also found out that the great midwife at Madigan finally got water births owed there!!!! Right when im leaving
That is wonderful! Do you have any ideas for names yet?
post #36 of 263
Happy belated birthday, Mae!! Glad to hear it was a wonderful day!!
post #37 of 263
We have a few names but have decided to keep them to ourselves for right now.
As for the water births, can you be moved to the midwifes? I can't remember right now after 600 miles of driving what your pregnancy is currently like. Roxanne Piecik is the midwife that I love there, not 100% on that spelling. She is the one that got the water births ok'd, but I do think that all the docs can do it if they are ok with it.
post #38 of 263
Congrats, Adorkable!
post #39 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
We have a few names but have decided to keep them to ourselves for right now.
As for the water births, can you be moved to the midwifes? I can't remember right now after 600 miles of driving what your pregnancy is currently like. Roxanne Piecik is the midwife that I love there, not 100% on that spelling. She is the one that got the water births ok'd, but I do think that all the docs can do it if they are ok with it.
LOL! I wouldn't expect you to remember . I'm high risk due to recurrent pregnancy loss, partial previa (that seems to be moving up), and active autoimmune disorder. I don't think I'd be cleared to move to the midwives, but I can always ask!

Hope the drive is going well today. Make sure to stretch those legs regularly.
post #40 of 263
Hey, Soul-O, can I ask if you know anything about something like TSGLI on the economy? We are getting all our ducks in a row for the deployment and basically, if he's injured, we'll be in deeper financial dog poo than if anything else happened, even if medical expenses are supposedly paid for. Do you know anything about that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Connect With Other Moms
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Military Moms: Sept/Oct 2010