Originally Posted by Caneel
Fancier bread too. There are some at my store that I love but at $4 per loaf, that is too much when the back 1/3 goes to waste.
A loaf of $4.50 fancy bread is, I'm embarrassed to say, a nearly weekly purchase in our family. USUALLY it gets all eaten up, but a couple of times (usually when counters are cluttered and the loaf gets "forgotten") it's gone stale.
There's lots of things to do with stale bread - bread pudding comes to mind for starters.
I also make a quiche that uses stale bread, I think it's nice.
- 6 eggs
- Couple ounces of cheese (any - cheddar is nice) shredded, grated or cut into bits
- A bunch of greens (chard, kale, spinach, whatever), chopped
- A small/medium onion, minced
- Some stale bread, crumbled or cut into crouton-sized bits. I've used varying amounts before, a little or a lot.
- 1 TBSP butter
- Bit of tamari/soy sauce
- Optional: fresh basil or other herbs
Preheat oven to 350F. Sautee onion in butter over medium. Then add greens and sautee until wilted (along with fresh herbs, if any). Turn off heat. In cooking pan or in a separate bowl, mix all ingredients. Pour into 8x8 baking dish. Cook at 350F for 25 minutes. Yum!