or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › APRIL 2010 Mamas, through September 18th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

APRIL 2010 Mamas, through September 18th - Page 13

post #241 of 259
I second the growth spurt, we are definitely in the thick of one here! I can't believe how huge she is getting (and neither can my back!).

I really liked this:
http://offbeatmama.com/2010/09/unnatural-birth-draft

In the middle of nap time experiment #78392511 (or so it feels). She's been down for over an hour but won't stay in her deep sleep for more than a few minutes without my finger in her mouth. I'd like to believe that she'll be sucking her own thumb soon but, sadly, it seems she's way, way, way more interested in sucking her big toes. Oh well!
post #242 of 259
Jess -- Loved that article. It was nice to hear about a good epidural experience.

Think we've got another teething day today. The first one popped through overnight on Monday, and the second one looks to be close behind. This afternoon/evening has been super-fussy time (although nothing like the screetching we had Monday evening), so I'll be checking tomorrow morning for another little tooth....

Oh, no! I have a cheap, little beaded ring that I used while nursing both Nugget and now Sprout to track which side to use next. It's had probably 2 years of use.... and now it's partially snapped! I don't think it'll last the weekend. I'm so sad! That ring has been with me through so much. And I have NO IDEA where I got it or where to find something like it.
post #243 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post

It's so weird to hear you guys can catch poops more easily! Sprout doesn't poop cue at all -- catching them is pure luck. His pees I can catch by timing, but he doesn't really pee-cue either. Even though we catch probably half or more of his pees, we use the same amount of diapers because we're checking so often! We'll probably keep it up, anyway.
It's all about timing here, too. He usually poops first thing in the morning, so that's easy. A lot of times I know when it's time him for to pee, but he won't go in the toilet. Then 2 minutes later he pees in his diaper. Maybe I'm just 2 minutes early?

T is doing really well on naps, now. For the first time today he woke up while I was out of the room (i could hear him on the monitor) and went back to sleep! I know you started NCSS about a month after us, Jess (I think) so maybe S will be there soon. Of course, the nighttime sleep has been terrible lately. Last night he was up every 45 minutes for the 2nd half of hte night. This was I'm sure not helped by the fact that he soaked the Miracle Blanket and I had to use a regular swaddle. He kept busting out of it. Which proves to me that he is not ready to be weaned off of teh swaddle. Which means I'm going to have to find a way to make a bigger Miracle Blanket style swaddle. Yeesh. I am not a sewer, or a crafty person at all. Though I did make a nursing necklace. Still not quite finished, but T likes it, sort of. He seems to prefer to grab my shirt, actually.

Ericka - Saw your facebook post, i'm so sorry

I think I'm going to try to make applesauce and can it this weekend. That is if I can track down my neighbor and get his permission to take some of the apples that are going to waste on his tree.
post #244 of 259
I actually had a good epidural experience too. While I was pregnant I made all kinds of plans as to how I would deliver Leyla. I would not be induce with "natural" or "unnatural" means but would let her come when she was ready, I would use hypnobabies and water therapy to manage the pain, I would vocalize through the pain but I wouldn't scream, I would deliver her squatting, and I would not get an episiotomy. Well after she was seven days overdue the midwife said they would have to induce if I went another week so I started with bouncing on my birthing ball to encourage things along, moved on to gallons of RLT, sex and finally a EPO suppository which was what actually worked. My labor was 32 hours from the time contractions where 5 mins apart and strong enough that I couldn't sleep through to the time I delivered. After 10 hours of contractions I was only 4 cm dilated, I walked I bounced, I listened to hypobabies and visualized my cervix opening. By the 25th hour of labor I had walked miles, listened to my hypnobabies for hours, been in and out of the shower and the tub, projectile vomited, and SCREAMED. I was exhausted, could not focus on anything but the pain, I was shaking and had been reduced to the inner animal. It was horrible. I was so determined to do things naturally but at that point I just couldn't go on. The midwife told me it was okay to get an epidural. I asked to be checked again and was still only 8cm and at the rate I was progressing I would have at least 2 more hours of labor. I knew I couldn't do it. The midwife was afraid that if I didn't get some relief I would be to tired to push. So I got the epidural and when the pain stopped I could have kissed the anesthesiologist. I was able to rest and when I was finally 10 cm 4 hours later I had energy again. I pushed for 3 hours but I just wouldn't stretch enough for Leyla's head to come out so I ended up with a episiotomy too. But you know what, I am glad that modern medicine was there for me, even though I hate a lot of things about it. I think had I been born 100 years earlier I might have died in childbirth because I don't think I would have been able to push Leyla out without that respite from the pain to rest.
post #245 of 259
Jenica, I have a similar birth story (except for me, EPO did nothing and I went into labor FINALLY with castor oil on the day I was supposed to be induced with pitocin). And it's nice to remember, birth is a messy, crazy thing no matter how it happens, and the end result it what's important. So I loved reading that, it really resonated with me!

Triony - what NCSS stuff are you doing, exactly? I have been mostly focusing on the bedtime routine (which seems to help, but it's still hard to get her to sleep and she still needs LOTS of sucking and swaddling), and now extending her naps (got another 2 hour one today!! With a lot of 'coaching' through it from me, but she finally got to that deep REM place and slept another hour on her own after the initial wakeup, SO awesome).
I have to admit I'm a little confused about NCSS in places - but I think part of that is just the confusion of the middle of the night wake up call that I'm now realizing is normal. I'm really trying to take everything with a grain of salt and realize that we have a pretty easy baby (especially during the awake hours!) and take and leave all advice, but I'm still wishing there was a miracle cure for baby wakefulness.
That said, right before she woke up from her nap today I was like, "yeah, I think she's asleep, but she's probably stopped breathing. Can't be any other explanation for this good sleep stretch." Sigh.
Can someone email around the list of who's who on facebook (IRL) and on here? I can't keep everyone straight I know there was a thread started on Danielle's page but I forget...
post #246 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by triony View Post
It's all about timing here, too. He usually poops first thing in the morning, so that's easy. A lot of times I know when it's time him for to pee, but he won't go in the toilet. Then 2 minutes later he pees in his diaper. Maybe I'm just 2 minutes early?

T is doing really well on naps, now. For the first time today he woke up while I was out of the room (i could hear him on the monitor) and went back to sleep! I know you started NCSS about a month after us, Jess (I think) so maybe S will be there soon. Of course, the nighttime sleep has been terrible lately. Last night he was up every 45 minutes for the 2nd half of hte night. This was I'm sure not helped by the fact that he soaked the Miracle Blanket and I had to use a regular swaddle. He kept busting out of it. Which proves to me that he is not ready to be weaned off of teh swaddle. Which means I'm going to have to find a way to make a bigger Miracle Blanket style swaddle. Yeesh. I am not a sewer, or a crafty person at all. Though I did make a nursing necklace. Still not quite finished, but T likes it, sort of. He seems to prefer to grab my shirt, actually.

Ericka - Saw your facebook post, i'm so sorry

I think I'm going to try to make applesauce and can it this weekend. That is if I can track down my neighbor and get his permission to take some of the apples that are going to waste on his tree.
it's ok..life and life happens...wish it wasn't to me, but what can I do? just bunkering down and trying to stay safe.
I'm mad. really mad.
post #247 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Jenica, I have a similar birth story (except for me, EPO did nothing and I went into labor FINALLY with castor oil on the day I was supposed to be induced with pitocin). And it's nice to remember, birth is a messy, crazy thing no matter how it happens, and the end result it what's important. So I loved reading that, it really resonated with me!

Triony - what NCSS stuff are you doing, exactly? I have been mostly focusing on the bedtime routine (which seems to help, but it's still hard to get her to sleep and she still needs LOTS of sucking and swaddling), and now extending her naps (got another 2 hour one today!! With a lot of 'coaching' through it from me, but she finally got to that deep REM place and slept another hour on her own after the initial wakeup, SO awesome).
I have to admit I'm a little confused about NCSS in places - but I think part of that is just the confusion of the middle of the night wake up call that I'm now realizing is normal. I'm really trying to take everything with a grain of salt and realize that we have a pretty easy baby (especially during the awake hours!) and take and leave all advice, but I'm still wishing there was a miracle cure for baby wakefulness.
That said, right before she woke up from her nap today I was like, "yeah, I think she's asleep, but she's probably stopped breathing. Can't be any other explanation for this good sleep stretch." Sigh.
Can someone email around the list of who's who on facebook (IRL) and on here? I can't keep everyone straight I know there was a thread started on Danielle's page but I forget...
could you include me in this email? I know I have almost all of you that have FB pages added...but sometimes I just don't know
post #248 of 259
I had a good epidural experience, too. I honestly think that if I hadn't gotten it I would have gotten one later anyhow- when they were wheeling me for a c-section. I think it saved my vaginal birth.
post #249 of 259
I hear you, Rhi, and I think you're absolutely correct that the epidural kept you from having a c-section. The more births I have, and the more people I know giving birth, the more I'm moving from "natural" birth to "humanized" birth. An epidural is a wonderful tool that I am so glad we have at our disposal. So are c-sections. Can they be overused? Absolutely, which is why I'd focus on judicious use of technology to support and empower the mom to have the best birth experience she can have using whatever tools best fit the birth situation she is dealt.
post #250 of 259
My husband is on a business trip now. The 3 older kids have already written him emails, and he's not even out of the state yet.

Here's hoping I stay sane this week?
post #251 of 259
lol - Hamish has eaten a piece of paper...I wasn't sure but it came out in his poo this morning so - yup! He ate some paper! Does that count as a first food?
post #252 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I had a good epidural experience, too. I honestly think that if I hadn't gotten it I would have gotten one later anyhow- when they were wheeling me for a c-section. I think it saved my vaginal birth.
This is what I was hoping for. But it just never worked. It did not do what it was supposed to do. Nothing was numb.
post #253 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I had a good epidural experience, too. I honestly think that if I hadn't gotten it I would have gotten one later anyhow- when they were wheeling me for a c-section. I think it saved my vaginal birth.
Same here. I know I could've delivered without one, and without pitocin, but it also could've been days of hard labor, and I was already completely dehydrated and couldn't stop vomiting, so I was really really happy, ultimately, that I got an epidural and then was able to push fabulously afterwards!

Ann, that sucks that yours didn't work! I know they have come a long way (I could feel contractions and the urge to push/ the actual pushing but the pain was nothing like it would've been without), but can still be iffy, or people respond to them differently. How frustrating!

LNF, good luck this week. So funny that our husbands both had work "vacations" in SF for computer tech stuff within weeks of each other. Unfortunately the weather here is very strange right now, supposed to rain instead of the lovely sunny indian summers we usually get. Actually, it feels a lot like upstate New York in the early summer. But without the pretty green.
post #254 of 259
Hey everyone! I got lost from the thread. Not sure if I will ever catch up, too many pages. But I at least want to be subscribed to it...now that it's time to start a new thread.

Just because I'm sad/excited, I must tell you: Ada has her two bottom teeth.
post #255 of 259
Welcome back, Pepper! Sprout has pushed through his second tooth just today. Hopefully that'll mean the end of the fussies for a while and my goofball baby will be back with us.

Who needed the Facebook -> MDC username translation? PM me; I have the list right here.
post #256 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Triony - what NCSS stuff are you doing, exactly? I have been mostly focusing on the bedtime routine (which seems to help, but it's still hard to get her to sleep and she still needs LOTS of sucking and swaddling), and now extending her naps (got another 2 hour one today!! With a lot of 'coaching' through it from me, but she finally got to that deep REM place and slept another hour on her own after the initial wakeup, SO awesome).
I have to admit I'm a little confused about NCSS in places - but I think part of that is just the confusion of the middle of the night wake up call that I'm now realizing is normal. I'm really trying to take everything with a grain of salt and realize that we have a pretty easy baby (especially during the awake hours!) and take and leave all advice, but I'm still wishing there was a miracle cure for baby wakefulness.
That said, right before she woke up from her nap today I was like, "yeah, I think she's asleep, but she's probably stopped breathing. Can't be any other explanation for this good sleep stretch." Sigh.
We worked on the routine, that completely solved our "won't go to sleep at night" problems after about 3 weeks. It fixed the "won't go to sleep for naps" probably at about 6 weeks in to the program. We're still working on the "stay asleep" for both naps and nighttime. Some days I'll get a really good nap, or a long stretch at night, but never both!
We also worked on the suck-to-sleep association via the Pantley Gentle Removal. He still needs to nurse get almost all the way asleep, but if I unlatch him now he usually just turns his head to the other side and goes to sleep on his own. He will also unlatch himself and do the same. But not all the time.

I hear ya on the worries when you do get good sleep. Luckily he's fairly noisy in his sleep so no sooner do I start to worry then I'll hear a sigh or some other noise.
post #257 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Same here. I know I could've delivered without one, and without pitocin, but it also could've been days of hard labor, and I was already completely dehydrated and couldn't stop vomiting, so I was really really happy, ultimately, that I got an epidural and then was able to push fabulously afterwards!

Ann, that sucks that yours didn't work! I know they have come a long way (I could feel contractions and the urge to push/ the actual pushing but the pain was nothing like it would've been without), but can still be iffy, or people respond to them differently. How frustrating!

LNF, good luck this week. So funny that our husbands both had work "vacations" in SF for computer tech stuff within weeks of each other. Unfortunately the weather here is very strange right now, supposed to rain instead of the lovely sunny indian summers we usually get. Actually, it feels a lot like upstate New York in the early summer. But without the pretty green.
Serial post. We also had a good epidural experience after our transfer. The midwives were still with us at the hospital at this point (we only transferred for hte epi) and they said our anesthesiologist was the best they'd ever seen.
It took a really really long time, but I eventually did get the urge to push, but it was really hard to feel the contractions to know when exactly to push. We had an AMAZING L&D nurse who I need to send a gift to. She is the reason we managed to deliver vaginally after 36 hours of labor in the hospital (plus the other 50 at home).
post #258 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
lol - Hamish has eaten a piece of paper...I wasn't sure but it came out in his poo this morning so - yup! He ate some paper! Does that count as a first food?
post #259 of 259
Thread Starter 
New thread is up!.........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › APRIL 2010 Mamas, through September 18th