or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › OMG! Remember the whole abuse/daycare thing that happened months ago?? ~~UPDATE post 18~~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OMG! Remember the whole abuse/daycare thing that happened months ago?? ~~UPDATE post 18~~

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
I just got served with a subpoena to appear in court over it So much for it being confidential I've got to call them and figure out WTF is going on. She's STILL working at the daycare (I know because another co-worker just posted a picture on facebook with the worker in question holding onto one of the babies while in the daycare).

This is the thread.
post #2 of 31
Holy Cow!
post #3 of 31
Oh man, you and court just keep finding eachother, eh? Sorry to hear you got served.

Maybe everyone got served?
post #4 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Oh man, you and court just keep finding eachother, eh? Sorry to hear you got served.

Maybe everyone got served?
At least this time I don't have to drive 6 hours

This will make the second time this year I've been served and will probably be in court a 3rd time before the end of the year. Yeah, life's going just grand right now
post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 
And I am SO glad I don't work there anymore (haven't since the first week of June). Now I have to dig around and see if I can find that mom's phone number again and see wth is up?
post #6 of 31
I wonder if the mom of the child is suing the daycare and is using you as a witness? It's weird that you wouldn't do a deposition first or something if it was a lawsuit...
post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
I wonder if the mom of the child is suing the daycare and is using you as a witness? It's weird that you wouldn't do a deposition first or something if it was a lawsuit...
I don't think so. On the subpoena it says it's "XXX (name of girl accused) v. department for community based services". Oh, and it also says I'm being called "to testify on behalf of the cabinet for health and family services". So it's between them and the girl, not the mom.
post #8 of 31
Ouch, that stinks. Hopefully everyone has to testify...if not, that really sucks that you are singled out since she will obviously know who you are and what you say when she sees you there.
post #9 of 31
That bites.
post #10 of 31
Thread Starter 
Okay, so I called the number on the subpoena and got a little more info. Apparently it is an "administrative hearing", not a court hearing. So it's not even in a court house. The lady I talked to said that from the daycare there was me and one other woman called to testify (but she couldn't tell me who).

I need to call back and ask if the accused person will be there. I really hope not because I shouldn't have to fear for my families safety because I wanted to do the right thing

And on a different note.... I got home from picking up my ds from school and in the mailbox was more papers from the court stuff in Michigan. It's just my lucky day, isn't it? This stuff was only related to health insurance for my ds though, so no biggie (thankfully!!).
post #11 of 31
i wouldn't worry about your family's safety. and if it is a hearing, then the accused is likely to be there.
post #12 of 31
OMG, I just read your original post about this issue. OMG!!! And my husband was calling me paranoid when I told him (back when the kids were little) that there was no way I'd put them in daycare till they are old enough to verbilize if something bad going on. I mean, there are definitely plenty of child care people who are gentle loving and responsable (like you), but you just never know. How sad for those poor babies .

Please please please do testify, I wouldn't worry about your family safety, it's not like she is a part of some gang or something. Those babies need someone to stand up for them. Thanks for doing that!!
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
Please please please do testify, I wouldn't worry about your family safety, it's not like she is a part of some gang or something. Those babies need someone to stand up for them. Thanks for doing that!!
post #14 of 31
What?! Wow, that is crazy.
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
Please please please do testify, I wouldn't worry about your family safety, it's not like she is a part of some gang or something. Those babies need someone to stand up for them. Thanks for doing that!!
aww mama after going thru everything steph is not going to give up now.

i know its one more hassle for you steph. i hope she is not going to be there. but i am glad that this has gone this far.
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
Okay, so I called the number on the subpoena and got a little more info. Apparently it is an "administrative hearing", not a court hearing. So it's not even in a court house. The lady I talked to said that from the daycare there was me and one other woman called to testify (but she couldn't tell me who).

I need to call back and ask if the accused person will be there. I really hope not because I shouldn't have to fear for my families safety because I wanted to do the right thing

And on a different note.... I got home from picking up my ds from school and in the mailbox was more papers from the court stuff in Michigan. It's just my lucky day, isn't it? This stuff was only related to health insurance for my ds though, so no biggie (thankfully!!).
But it sounds like they're suing the (City? State? County?) Department, right? So your former employer/coworkers might not necessarily be there at the same time as you, right? Maybe you could even request that they not be.
post #17 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
But it sounds like they're suing the (City? State? County?) Department, right? So your former employer/coworkers might not necessarily be there at the same time as you, right? Maybe you could even request that they not be.
Wait... is that what it means?? I'm new to the whole suing/court stuff (well, except when it come to custody issues). Is the first person listed suing the second person? If so, why would she be suing them? How in the world could she do that? And why am I involved?
post #18 of 31
Thread Starter 
So, the hearing was today. It ended up being people from the state, the "judge" (I don't know if she was really a judge because it was an administrative hearing so it wasn't in a courtroom or anything but she was the person who would decide what happened), me, B (the woman accused of abuse), a translator for her, her lawyer (that the director of the daycare hired for her), the director of the daycare and the assistant director. It's a darn good thing I'm not working there anymore or I certainly wouldn't be working there after today! Since I got there earlier than anyone else I talked to the people from the state a little and they said they tried to subpoena the other woman I wrote about in the original post but she's moved out of the state so they didn't pursue it. After the opening stuff they had me, the director and the assistant director leave the room then called us back in one at a time to testify. They called me in first and basically just asked me a ton of questions. I got snotty with B's lawyer because he kept asking me all these stupid questions trying to lead me into saying things that weren't at all true. Anyway, after they were done with me they told me I could leave so I have no idea what happened after that. I'll keep my ears open though.

Oh, and when I was talking to the people from the state before the hearing started they told me that the daycare has been given some huge fines over this and that they are still very much investigating the daycare and that they are still doing surprise visits a few times a month and stuff. Basically hinting at the fact they are looking for any little thing to shut the daycare down for good. Unfortunately from what I hear from people who are still working there- it's not doing any good. There was (is?) still abuse going on, the assistant director and director are still ignoring it, etc. It's only a matter of time before they get shut down.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
her lawyer (that the director of the daycare hired for her)
Ok, why in the world would the director hire a lawyer for that employee? I remember this coming up earlier in the thread. So fishy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
I got snotty with B's lawyer because he kept asking me all these stupid questions trying to lead me into saying things that weren't at all true.
Hah! Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Asking the same question, 16 different times, 16 different ways to see if you will change your answer or will waffle and show doubt.

In a prior job, I used to testify as an expert witness and it would sometimes be comical how the opposing attorneys would try to trip me up. Some were just so bad at it. It was hard to get used to a first.

Rawrr! for you for doing the right thing and putting yourself out there! Good going!
post #20 of 31
Wow! I remember your original thread. I'm glad you aren't working there anymore. (I didn't know you left).

I'm glad they are taking a look at this place and hopefully it will get shut down. There should be absolutely zero tolerance and I am shocked at how they handled the entire thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Talk Amongst Ourselves
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › OMG! Remember the whole abuse/daycare thing that happened months ago?? ~~UPDATE post 18~~