or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Do you listen to "age appropriate" music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you listen to "age appropriate" music? - Page 3

post #41 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post
I hear you! Video killed the radio star, and reality t.v. killed the video star. I remember when MTV first started and they had maybe 10 groups or individual video that the rotated on a daily basis. Whip it!
Now we get Jersey Shore, yippie!
post #42 of 97
This is a curious question because what does it mean when a personal preference is "age appropriate". I've always loved baroque music and most classical, some rock from the 50's and folk from the 70's, world music. We may listen to Cheb Mami, The Carpenters, Annie Lenox, and Arvo Part in one evening. We will sing at the top of our lungs to the opera Barber of Seville or Rusted Root. Like a pp, I really like much of The Cure's music, and Thompson Twins (my "impressionable" years), but I also like Edith Piaf, Paulo Conte, Peter Gabriel, Nursrat Fateh Ali Khan, Rush, and Tarkan. I love the Cranberries and The Sundays, Fleetwood Mac, ELO, Jonnie Holliday and Train. Go figure. There is no "age appropriate" (I'm in my 40's btw, dh is in his 50's and dd is 8
post #43 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsSahm View Post
I miss the days when MTV still played videos, headbangers ball, beavis and butt head, etc.
post #44 of 97
I also feel like I listen to current music, but I do enjoy older music as well. But I guess I always have, even as a child.
post #45 of 97
When dd1 was a baby, I listened to tons of kids music. Too much, I think, because now I can't stand it.

Dh and I are both 31. If he is around, we listen to classic rock and 80s and 90s rock, which dh and I both like. If it's just me and the kids, we listen to pop and hip-hop, and I try to remember to turn it down when they say "Damn, she's a sexy b___."

Dd1's recent favorites have been Replay by Iyaz, Say Ah by Trey Songz, and Your Love by Nicki Minaj.

If you had told my grungy, flannel-shirt-wearing, Soundgarden-loving 15-year-old self that I would be listening to hip-hop every day at age 31, I would never have believed you.
post #46 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Not age appropriate here. Nothing to out there. 120 mintues stuff.

Mostly things you have never heard of.
One of my favorite rappers has your lo's name!
I also listen to music from other countries, mostly Latin American stuff. Let's hear the stuff people have never heard of, it might get some new fans.
post #47 of 97
We listen to an eclectic variety of music we like all throughout the day. That includes Backyardigans, Putamayo kids, classical (love baroque, too), jazz, and the top 40. (And, really anything in-between EXCEPT country, sorry.) DD really enjoys Ilham Madfa3y!

I love rap, but that is the only music I find not age appropriate for DD (2YO). Huge Biggie fan here. Love that era! (I think I was 8 at the time lol)

Actually, we do let DD listen to A Tribe Called Quest.
post #48 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
This is a curious question because what does it mean when a personal preference is "age appropriate". I've always loved baroque music and most classical, some rock from the 50's and folk from the 70's, world music. We may listen to Cheb Mami, The Carpenters, Annie Lenox, and Arvo Part in one evening. We will sing at the top of our lungs to the opera Barber of Seville or Rusted Root. Like a pp, I really like much of The Cure's music, and Thompson Twins (my "impressionable" years), but I also like Edith Piaf, Paulo Conte, Peter Gabriel, Nursrat Fateh Ali Khan, Rush, and Tarkan. I love the Cranberries and The Sundays, Fleetwood Mac, ELO, Jonnie Holliday and Train. Go figure. There is no "age appropriate" (I'm in my 40's btw, dh is in his 50's and dd is 8
I can see myself listening to all of this, with some Broadway and country for good measure I'm in my late 30s, btw.
post #49 of 97
Age appropriate according to whom? About 5 years ago, when DS "discovered" Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cheap Trick, et al, we told him to get his own music. Today he knows more about those bands (and other now-golden-oldies - Mick Jagger is a grandpa, for crying out loud) than I ever did. He still listens to everything from the blues to rock to reggae, as well as classical. He doesn't like jazz, but then neither do I, although DH is a huge fan. None of us really listens to a lot of hip hop or rap, but it's hard to escape it these days.
post #50 of 97
No... really a 39 year old who remembers Madonna coming out with Material Girl has no business listening to Lady Gaga.

post #51 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
No... really a 39 year old who remembers Madonna coming out with Material Girl has no business listening to Lady Gaga.

Says who?

Like a virgin!
post #52 of 97
I don't cut music off by decade or anything, but the top-40 has never really done it for me, so finding me listening to Lady Gaga or whoever would be out of place now just as much as it would have been when I was twenty.
post #53 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I don't cut music off by decade or anything, but the top-40 has never really done it for me, so finding me listening to Lady Gaga or whoever would be out of place now just as much as it would have been when I was twenty.
Same here.
post #54 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
No... really a 39 year old who remembers Madonna coming out with Material Girl has no business listening to Lady Gaga.

LOL you couldn't pay me to listen to Lady Gaga.
post #55 of 97
I listen to everything from oldies to Lady Gaga. DD is 2 and loves Katy Perry and Kesha
post #56 of 97
Just this morning my 2yo requested "Paparazzi" when we were driving home from the store.

But I also listen to music from my youth as well as music from before my time, as do my kids. They like current music, but they also like Bach, Chopin, Bing Crosby, the Andrews Sisters, the Beatles, the Doors, Nirvana, Radiohead, etc. just like I do.

DH plays the guitar and I play the piano, and we and play a wide variety (the songs I'm currently working on are Radiohead's "Like Spinning Plates," Lady Gaga's "Brown Eyes," and I'm relearning Pachelbel's "Canon in D"), so my kids are exposed to a broad range of music and we don't consider any of it inappropriate for anyone of any age.
post #57 of 97
I listen to pop and really like Miley Cyrus, Britney, Lady Gaga, The Jonas Brothers and Camp Rock, etc. I love this kind of upbeat music, it really is fun. It's great for in the car and for working out -- the two things I do most. I don't think most women my age have all the High School Musical soundtracks and actually enjoy them, lol. So no, I don't really listen to age appropriate stuff at all!!
post #58 of 97
lady gaga is the worst!! i do listen to top 40 if i am feeling silly/hyper. we like oldies, classical music, jazz, country-mostly classic, some new is okay, throw in a little punk, ska, rock in general, 80s always goes over well, i have a strange spot for rnb, and the radio often finds itself on the local spanish stations (dd tells me "that's daddy's music!!")
post #59 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
No... really a 39 year old who remembers Madonna coming out with Material Girl has no business listening to Lady Gaga.

I'm older than 39, but I remember Material Girl, but don't have a clue who this Lady Gaga is. I'm assuming from this thread that she is currently popular.
post #60 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
LOL you couldn't pay me to listen to Lady Gaga.
Ugh. Me either.

I had to laugh the other day at a bday party. All the girls were talking about Justin Bieber and my 8 year old looks at me and says "What's Justin Bieber?"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Books, Music, and Media
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Do you listen to "age appropriate" music?