Originally Posted by scsigrl
If you are going to do it, why not do it with your Dr. How is that not safer?
Also, unless someone really knows what to look for, how long it may take to have a reaction, where exactly to take the child, why risk it?
Obviously this is just my opinion and I get that they are a dime a dozen. But you are talking to someone totally new to this allergy thing. Why suggest anything that could seriously put a child in danger.
Well, a previous poster's doctor
told her just to try peanuts again in a year (at home.) Doctor's aren't always the most informed when it comes to food allergies.
The bolded is an excellent point though. Some reactions happen within seconds, but anaphylactic reactions can happen up to 4 hours later. And sometimes they aren't always immediately obvious, especially with a young child. They might just be moving their head funny (because their airway is closing) and not have any other signs.
Originally Posted by Kim B Lynn
So some other questions I have:
*If he's allergic to peanuts, what other things have similar chemical components that I should be aware of? (Do peanuts have any "cousins" in the allergen sense?) I'm sure the allergist will do a good work up, but I want to be careful in the mean time...
*How do you handle the social aspect of having an allergenic kid? Do your kids wear medical braclets or anything like that? Do you inform teachers at school, parents of other kids in the class, etc?
*Should I expect an anaphalactic response if he's exposed again?
*How much benedryl can a 23 pound 1 year old safely have? My doctor told me 12 mg or a teaspoon, but I want to double check because I'm a little bit paranoid about drugs and he didn't check a chart or anything before he told me.
I'm glad you got the referral.
Many peanut allergic kids also react to tree nuts, but not all. But even if you're not allergic to tree nuts, there's always a risk they were processed on the same equipment as peanuts, so it's best to play it safe and stay away from all nuts. Peanuts are a legume, so you *may* see allergies to other legumes- soy is a common one, but peas and beans are also in that group.
Also- atopic (allergy-prone) children can develop allergies to any
food, so it's best to watch carefully from now on when introducing new foods. Some people advise waiting until age 2 to introduce allergenic foods like eggs, but recent studies have shown that may or may not make any difference. It might also be a good idea to start keeping a food journal. That way, if you see any changes in sleep, behavior, ear wax (or other signs of inflammation), whatever- you can look back at the foods you've been eating and see if there's a pattern.
An anaphylactic reaction is possible, yes. Not guaranteed though. Every kid reacts different. Some react with anaphylaxis on their first trial of a food, and some people can eat a food for years with no problem and then have an anaphylactic reaction out of the blue. It's best to just be prepared.
Do NOT rely on Benadryl for an anaphylactic reaction. But if you need it for minor reactions like hives, you should check with your doc. My 3yo DD is about 28 pounds, and the doctor told us that we could use the dose on the bottle (I think the smallest dose listed is for 6 year olds.)
Oops- I missed a question. The social aspect.... that's hard, and I don't really know how to answer it. We don't have a medical bracelet for DD, although we really should. I stay at home, and we don't use any childcare. We only eat what I've prepared. It's hard, especially at first.... but it will get easier in time.