or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Utah, Arizona › Question about the religious exemption in our state for newborn screening
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about the religious exemption in our state for newborn screening - Page 2

post #21 of 43
I don't think it's too late to switch. As you've already experienced, the doctor who delivers isn't always the same doctor who has treated you all along. You're delivering at IMC, right? The maternal-fetal medicine doctors there are awesome - the midwives switched my care over to them a month or so ago, but I've been seeing them since 14 weeks because I'm considered high risk. I've seen 3 different doctors in the practice and they've all been OK letting me VBAC with twins over age 35 (just barely over, though, so I don't know how much of a factor that is). I can recommend 2 doctors there specifically if you'd like. You might need a referral from you current doctor, though.
post #22 of 43
BRmama,

I thought I recognized your name. Must be from the relactating thread.

I am so glad you and your little one survived the abruption. When I was working in a hospital based birth center there were a couple times when I had to introduce a baby that died from an abruption (despite a c-section) to its parents. I'd carry the still body wrapped in a blanket so everyone thought I was just a nurse carrying a baby. Then I'd go into the room and the parents would be so sad. I'd leave them alone with their baby if they wanted and go sit in the nursery all depressed. Another time I was working in the NICU. The baby had survived the abruption because of an emergency c-section but had such severe brain damage that it was not going to last for long. For complicated reasons they could not bring the mom up to the ICU to see the baby until the father arrived. I spent all day wringing my hands that the baby would die before the mom could meet it. Finally, towards the end of my 12 hour shift they brought the mom upstairs. The baby was so close to death (it had been on a ventilator all it's life) that we didn't take in any heart monitors. We didn't want the parents to freak out if they saw the monitors. It is so hard to help a mom meet her baby knowing that in moments the baby will die. Frankly, that experience was probably one of the best things I ever did for a patient. I helped them greet and say good-bye to their baby in a way that I feel proud of.

So, the reason I am telling you all these sad stories is to remind you how lucky you are that everything worked out so well for you. The second is to implore you not to do an unassisted birth. I am sad I didn't get to do a homebirth, but I got what I really wanted, a healthy baby. You did not get the birth you wanted before, but you and your baby walked away from a near death experience. (Then you survived a DVT. You were doubly blessed.) If I were in your shoes I would feel so lucky and just wouldn't fret about what I missed out on. (I'm not saying that you don't realize how lucky you were, I just want to re-emphasize it.)

All that said, if I were in your shoes I would also switch providers. It sounds like rachel can give you the names of some docs who are supportive of VBACs. Meet them. They should be willing to work with you in a way that keeps you safe but also lets you have your fantasy birth.

I have a history of a rapid heartbeat. When I was pregnant I saw a cardiologist to come up with a birth plan regarding my labor. She said I would be given IV medications. I know that you have to be on a heart monitor to get cardiac drugs by IV. I pointed out that I would be birthing in a birth center that doesn't have cardiac monitors. She immediately came up with a plan that had me taking oral medications. She didn't try to pressure me, she worked within the framework of what I wanted. If I had a serious, serious heart problem it would have been inappropriate for me to birth without cardiac monitoring, but that's not where I was. She was a good enough doctor to be aware of that.

You've already got one doctor telling you a VBAC would be fine. This tells me that it's not unrealistic to expect a VBAC. So, get the names of the new doctors, tell them that you are going to be doing a VBAC and you want to come up with a plan to keep you and the baby safe. It is not their decision whether you have a VBAC or not, that is your decision and you've got support that it is a safe decision. It is their job to keep you safe when you do it. If they cannot support you through that then find a doctor that can. So, find someone who will support you in that choice.

I hope I haven't come off too harsh or dramatic or anything here. I am trying to help you get a safe VBAC. There are risks to VBACs so I wouldn't want to do a UAC, but they're safe enough that I would work hard to get one.
post #23 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel7628 View Post
I don't think it's too late to switch. As you've already experienced, the doctor who delivers isn't always the same doctor who has treated you all along. You're delivering at IMC, right? The maternal-fetal medicine doctors there are awesome - the midwives switched my care over to them a month or so ago, but I've been seeing them since 14 weeks because I'm considered high risk. I've seen 3 different doctors in the practice and they've all been OK letting me VBAC with twins over age 35 (just barely over, though, so I don't know how much of a factor that is). I can recommend 2 doctors there specifically if you'd like. You might need a referral from you current doctor, though.
Thanks Rachel. My pregnancy is high risk as well so I've been there. The first dr. I spoke to was dr. Draper and he was really nice, then I spoke with dr. Porter, I liked her even though she didn't like the plan that dr. Draper and I had already made about preventing another blood clot and she kept pressuring me to take the medication. Anyway but she said in despite of everything I can still have a vbac. Are any of these two the ones that you recomend? I'd love to know who you'd recommend since I don't know that many drs. there. I've only been there like twice for ultrasounds. My original ob retired otherwise I'd be under him. He was really good.
Anyway I would already have a referral from my ob now so switching shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again
post #24 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
BRmama,

I thought I recognized your name. Must be from the relactating thread.

I am so glad you and your little one survived the abruption. When I was working in a hospital based birth center there were a couple times when I had to introduce a baby that died from an abruption (despite a c-section) to its parents. I'd carry the still body wrapped in a blanket so everyone thought I was just a nurse carrying a baby. Then I'd go into the room and the parents would be so sad. I'd leave them alone with their baby if they wanted and go sit in the nursery all depressed. Another time I was working in the NICU. The baby had survived the abruption because of an emergency c-section but had such severe brain damage that it was not going to last for long. For complicated reasons they could not bring the mom up to the ICU to see the baby until the father arrived. I spent all day wringing my hands that the baby would die before the mom could meet it. Finally, towards the end of my 12 hour shift they brought the mom upstairs. The baby was so close to death (it had been on a ventilator all it's life) that we didn't take in any heart monitors. We didn't want the parents to freak out if they saw the monitors. It is so hard to help a mom meet her baby knowing that in moments the baby will die. Frankly, that experience was probably one of the best things I ever did for a patient. I helped them greet and say good-bye to their baby in a way that I feel proud of.

So, the reason I am telling you all these sad stories is to remind you how lucky you are that everything worked out so well for you. The second is to implore you not to do an unassisted birth. I am sad I didn't get to do a homebirth, but I got what I really wanted, a healthy baby. You did not get the birth you wanted before, but you and your baby walked away from a near death experience. (Then you survived a DVT. You were doubly blessed.) If I were in your shoes I would feel so lucky and just wouldn't fret about what I missed out on. (I'm not saying that you don't realize how lucky you were, I just want to re-emphasize it.)

All that said, if I were in your shoes I would also switch providers. It sounds like rachel can give you the names of some docs who are supportive of VBACs. Meet them. They should be willing to work with you in a way that keeps you safe but also lets you have your fantasy birth.

I have a history of a rapid heartbeat. When I was pregnant I saw a cardiologist to come up with a birth plan regarding my labor. She said I would be given IV medications. I know that you have to be on a heart monitor to get cardiac drugs by IV. I pointed out that I would be birthing in a birth center that doesn't have cardiac monitors. She immediately came up with a plan that had me taking oral medications. She didn't try to pressure me, she worked within the framework of what I wanted. If I had a serious, serious heart problem it would have been inappropriate for me to birth without cardiac monitoring, but that's not where I was. She was a good enough doctor to be aware of that.

You've already got one doctor telling you a VBAC would be fine. This tells me that it's not unrealistic to expect a VBAC. So, get the names of the new doctors, tell them that you are going to be doing a VBAC and you want to come up with a plan to keep you and the baby safe. It is not their decision whether you have a VBAC or not, that is your decision and you've got support that it is a safe decision. It is their job to keep you safe when you do it. If they cannot support you through that then find a doctor that can. So, find someone who will support you in that choice.

I hope I haven't come off too harsh or dramatic or anything here. I am trying to help you get a safe VBAC. There are risks to VBACs so I wouldn't want to do a UAC, but they're safe enough that I would work hard to get one.
SundayCrepes thank you so much for sharing that. You didn't come off as harsh at all. Yeah I do consider myself really blessed to have overcome two events in my life that I could be dead. I think part of the problem for me is that I feel so powerless. I mean I have no problem with interventions during my birth and if in the end I need to have a c-section I have no problem with that either. My problem is when I have two doctors who have said that I could have a vbac and my ob would rather do a c-section yk? I need to workout my feelings towards this issue. I mean I always wanted a normal birth without drugs. Well but even if I had to take the drugs I still would have liked a vaginal birth. I know that there are some women here that have had a vba2c but my dr. said that I would never be able to have a vaginal birth after this cesarean. So I'm bummed about that. Just lots of feelings I have to sort out.
Sometimes I have to remember what an ordeal I went through last year to appreciate what I have now. Still for some reason it makes me feel less adequate, like I'm taking the high road if I just have a cesarean as opposed to
laboring and having a vaginal birth.


I'm not against this medication that they want me to use to prevent blood clots. I think it's great that it's there. My issue is that I got tested for any clotting factors and everything came out negative and they still want me to take it. If for some reason I had even one clotting factor then yeah I'd be taking that medication for sure. The problem is the pressure. I think personally the reason why I had dvt is because after my surgery I had to stay in observation for four days. During those four days I had no idea and nobody told me that I could go walk around. Even though the next day I felt fine I stayed in bed. Had no clue except when they came in and told me that I could walk my son to the hearing test. Then I went home and was told not to pick anything heavy and take it easy for the next four weeks I think. So that's what I did. Now I know that I can walk around after the cesarean and that especially having had a blood clot you can never walk too much. When I had the clots I had to do lots of walking and exercise (nothing heavy just frequent little walks in my house and outside). I also think part of it could be from the abruption but I could be wrong. The point is this time I'll be walking a lot more after my cesarean and of course taking better care of myself.

Even though I worked many years for a hospice agency I can't imagine what it's like bringing a baby who just barely died to the parents. It definitely takes someone special to do that kind of job. I'm glad there's people like you in hospitals. Anyway I will probably switch drs again. You pointed out something that is so true and similar to what I'm going through. In the end I just want a dr. who will work within the time frame of what I want. What I'd like is a way to labor that I want still within the means of keeping me and the baby safe. If I have to give in a little for that to happen I have no problem as long as the dr. is also willing to meet me halfway. Thanks again for posting.

ETA: Oh one question about the pku test. I xposted on birth and beyond forum and I got a response that maybe you can clarify for me since you're a nurse. After the blood sample is taken out from the baby and screened and everything is done what happens to it (the blood sample)? Does the hospital destroy it? Or does it depend on the hospital to do with what they will? One of the mamas there said that for them they're signing a refusal waiver from the hospital because they're doing it privately. They're not comfortable with the hospital having a sample of their baby's dna. I think that's a good idea to use that company that you referred me to. The more I research them the more I like them and I think the pricing is reasonable imo. I don't think my state screens for everything that test screens for. Anyway thanks again.
post #25 of 43
I think all the hospitals send the blood to an outside lab. I don't know if they hold onto the samples or not.

You've got a good attitude about this whole medical thing--Do intervention where it's necessary. If you can't get a good referral from anyone, just start interviewing doctors.

Maybe call the hospital ob unit and ask to talk to an L&D nurse. Tell her you're new in town and are looking for a doctor that does VBACS. (Don't tell her you're already seeing someone as that could put her in a weird position.) Can she give you several names? Ask her who is most into natural births. You may have to call a couple times in case you get a Nurse Ratchet. Frankly, if you want to know which doctors are good, you need to ask the nurses.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
Thanks Rachel. My pregnancy is high risk as well so I've been there. The first dr. I spoke to was dr. Draper and he was really nice, then I spoke with dr. Porter, I liked her even though she didn't like the plan that dr. Draper and I had already made about preventing another blood clot and she kept pressuring me to take the medication. Anyway but she said in despite of everything I can still have a vbac. Are any of these two the ones that you recomend? I'd love to know who you'd recommend since I don't know that many drs. there. I've only been there like twice for ultrasounds. My original ob retired otherwise I'd be under him. He was really good.
Anyway I would already have a referral from my ob now so switching shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again
No, they aren't the ones I'd recommend - I haven't seen them. Dr. Eller is my main doctor, but I've actually only seen her once. She was really positive about VBAC when we discussed it. I also like Dr. Metz. She told me that if we were planning to have more children, VBAC would be the better option. It seems like if you switch your care to the maternal-fetal medicine group, though, you'll be more likely to get your VBAC than if you stay with your current doctor. He seems to be the only one who thinks you can't have one.
post #27 of 43
OP, one other thing I thought I'd mention. We gave our son the Vit K (my midwife talked me into it.) After he was born I was doing some reading and there's a question if there is protection from GI cancer by not having the Vitamin K. So there may be pluses and minuses to Vit. K. However, I did give the eye ointment. It's not the painful silver nitrate drops they gave years ago, it's just an ointment. No pain involved. I figured it protected his eyes in case I had some sort of infection. I just had them wait until he was falling asleep to give it to him. That way it didn't affect bonding and he got some protection, just in case.
post #28 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
No, they aren't the ones I'd recommend - I haven't seen them. Dr. Eller is my main doctor, but I've actually only seen her once. She was really positive about VBAC when we discussed it. I also like Dr. Metz. She told me that if we were planning to have more children, VBAC would be the better option. It seems like if you switch your care to the maternal-fetal medicine group, though, you'll be more likely to get your VBAC than if you stay with your current doctor. He seems to be the only one who thinks you can't have one.
Thanks again Rachel, yeah I'm thinking about going with the maternal fetal group because I do want more kids. I'm not closed to a c-section, in the end if I have to have it that's fine, it's just the whole let's schedule a cesarean jic that irks me yk. Anyway thanks for the recommendation.
post #29 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I think all the hospitals send the blood to an outside lab. I don't know if they hold onto the samples or not.

You've got a good attitude about this whole medical thing--Do intervention where it's necessary. If you can't get a good referral from anyone, just start interviewing doctors.

Maybe call the hospital ob unit and ask to talk to an L&D nurse. Tell her you're new in town and are looking for a doctor that does VBACS. (Don't tell her you're already seeing someone as that could put her in a weird position.) Can she give you several names? Ask her who is most into natural births. You may have to call a couple times in case you get a Nurse Ratchet. Frankly, if you want to know which doctors are good, you need to ask the nurses.
Thanks SundayCrepes, I'll most likely go with the maternal fetal group at my hospital that I mentioned above. They will probably be more likely to do vbacs. Like I mentioned I'm not against cesarean but it's the whole attitude of let's schedule a cesarean jic the same thing happens last year that bothers me. I was kind of more worried about the fact that since my son was born Feb last year and this one will be born in November this year they'd be 21 months apart and the spacing would not be long enough for me to have a vbac.

Quote:
OP, one other thing I thought I'd mention. We gave our son the Vit K (my midwife talked me into it.) After he was born I was doing some reading and there's a question if there is protection from GI cancer by not having the Vitamin K. So there may be pluses and minuses to Vit. K. However, I did give the eye ointment. It's not the painful silver nitrate drops they gave years ago, it's just an ointment. No pain involved. I figured it protected his eyes in case I had some sort of infection. I just had them wait until he was falling asleep to give it to him. That way it didn't affect bonding and he got some protection, just in case.
Yeah I'm still reading about that one. I'm thinking about doing it orally for him the way it's done in Europe with very low doses (I have to study more so I know their procedure). One poster on b&b forum mentioned where I could buy it but I can't remember off the top of my head. That's a good idea about the eye ointment. Here's my question. I'm not opposing it but here's my worry. Is it some kind of antibiotic put in the eyes? Because I know I have the I think they call it group strep B, and last year when I was in labor they gave me antibiotics through IV. They said it wouldn't affect the baby it'd just make it better when he came out so he wouldn't get that from me. So I'm pretty sure I'll need the antibiotics this time around too, but then if they put an antibiotic ointment on my baby's eyes would that be too much antibiotics for him? Thanks again
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
Thanks SundayCrepes, I'll most likely go with the maternal fetal group at my hospital that I mentioned above. They will probably be more likely to do vbacs. Like I mentioned I'm not against cesarean but it's the whole attitude of let's schedule a cesarean jic the same thing happens last year that bothers me. I was kind of more worried about the fact that since my son was born Feb last year and this one will be born in November this year they'd be 21 months apart and the spacing would not be long enough for me to have a vbac.



Yeah I'm still reading about that one. I'm thinking about doing it orally for him the way it's done in Europe with very low doses (I have to study more so I know their procedure). One poster on b&b forum mentioned where I could buy it but I can't remember off the top of my head. That's a good idea about the eye ointment. Here's my question. I'm not opposing it but here's my worry. Is it some kind of antibiotic put in the eyes? Because I know I have the I think they call it group strep B, and last year when I was in labor they gave me antibiotics through IV. They said it wouldn't affect the baby it'd just make it better when he came out so he wouldn't get that from me. So I'm pretty sure I'll need the antibiotics this time around too, but then if they put an antibiotic ointment on my baby's eyes would that be too much antibiotics for him? Thanks again

No, the antibiotics are fine. I wanted to do oral Vit. K but my midwife told me how in some scandinavian countries research showed it wasn't as effective. It can prevent brain bleeds. i'd research cancer prevention and vitamin k.
post #31 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
No, the antibiotics are fine. I wanted to do oral Vit. K but my midwife told me how in some scandinavian countries research showed it wasn't as effective. It can prevent brain bleeds. i'd research cancer prevention and vitamin k.
That's true, that's my worry with the vit. k, I'll be going on google scholar and type cancer prevention and vitamin k to see if I can find anything. I think my son is teething again, so until that molar ruptures through his gum my time is limited. Thanks again
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
That's true, that's my worry with the vit. k, I'll be going on google scholar and type cancer prevention and vitamin k to see if I can find anything. I think my son is teething again, so until that molar ruptures through his gum my time is limited. Thanks again
I have better access to my computer now.

http://www.akha.org/content/vaccinations/vitamink.pdf

http://newborns.stanford.edu/VitaminK.html

http://www.adhb.govt.nz/newborn/Guid...d/VitaminK.htm
post #33 of 43
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought if you did the screening tests later (like 5-7 days old) you only have to do it once. I had a homebirth, and so we took the baby into the health dept. to get the screening test done. I was worried about it being traumatic for him, but it went really really well. They gave us a warm compress for his heel before, and then I got all ready to nurse him right before the nurse stuck him. He didn't make so much as a peep when he got stuck, he just latched on and nursed vigorously. He bled really easily too with just the one stick, it seriously took like 15 seconds for her to drop enough blood on the card and that was it. I was so relieved! So, don't fret too much about it being heartbreaking, because it's not always.
post #34 of 43
Livia, I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles with docs. I had my fair share of being bullied by OBs and I wasn't even high risk. I can't imagine what it's like dealing with what you're going through.

I have a friend who had an abruption and an early baby with her first and went on to have a successful VBAC full term with her second. Now she is a doula and she has helped lots of moms have VBACs. It is totally possible, and a doctor who tells you it's not isn't worth his salt. I'm glad you're switching and I hope that works out alright for you.

As for the screening, we had Jane in CA, so I'm not sure what the differences are here, but I had her at a FSBC and went to the hospital to do PKU at (IIRC) 6 days old. My MW told me it just had to be done in the first week, and we only had to do it once. We skipped the eye ointment, hep B, but did the Vit K, FWIW, although I have to admit that I didn't do as much reading on that one as I should have.

Def make sure they warm the heel and nurse if you can during the heel stick. The nurse I had for Jane's was terrible and wouldn't even let me hold her . Unfortunately, since I wasn't staying there and we had already been waiting for so long, I didn't want to make a big fuss about getting someone else and I just nursed her right afterward. It was pretty awful, but it's over fast.
post #35 of 43
Oh Livia, no wonder you need to vent and feel stressed! You are getting a ton of good advice though, and we are all here to support you

I think checking out other pro-vbac providers is a great idea too.
post #36 of 43
Thread Starter 
SundayCrepes thanks for the sites . I haven't had a chance to look at them yet but I definitely will

Angelorum I'll definitely be nursing him through it. Unfortunately I didn't know that for my first son and it was a little traumatic for him.

Leah I have an apt. with my ob tomorrow and will be talking with him about a vbac and see if he changes his mind. If I leave there more stressed than going in then I'll definitely be switching. BTW that's awesome about your friend. Do you think it's too late for a doula? I don't know any doulas but lately I've been thinking about getting one.

Melissa thanks for the support, it helps to write all these things down here so I can organize my thoughts better.

Thank you again everyone for the support. Like I mentioned my apt. with my ob is tomorrow (I'm so nervous, wish me luck) and if things don't go so smoothly then I'll be switching. Today was a hard day. I started contracting at around five thirty this morning and had to go in to the hospital. They stopped my contractions since I'm early. Everything is better now and baby is fine. The funny thing is (speaking from lack of sleep) when the nurse asked if I needed something for the pain I said no and I was able to work through these contractions. Yeah they were painful but I felt fine in between, nothing like the pain from the abruption I had last year. And on the plus side Landon's tooth came through so he feels better.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
Def make sure they warm the heel and nurse if you can during the heel stick. The nurse I had for Jane's was terrible and wouldn't even let me hold her . Unfortunately, since I wasn't staying there and we had already been waiting for so long, I didn't want to make a big fuss about getting someone else and I just nursed her right afterward. It was pretty awful, but it's over fast.
This is so ridiculous! Poor baby. I didn't even ask, I just held his little foot towards the nurse and undid my bra. She didn't seem to mind, which is good because I am terrible at confrontations. My MIL was there though, she would have stood up for me/baby.

Good luck with your appt tomorrow, and def let us know how it goes! And I'd say if it's not too late to switch docs, it's probably not to late to get a doula on board either.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
Leah I have an apt. with my ob tomorrow and will be talking with him about a vbac and see if he changes his mind. If I leave there more stressed than going in then I'll definitely be switching. BTW that's awesome about your friend. Do you think it's too late for a doula? I don't know any doulas but lately I've been thinking about getting one.

Thank you again everyone for the support. Like I mentioned my apt. with my ob is tomorrow (I'm so nervous, wish me luck) and if things don't go so smoothly then I'll be switching.
How did you appt go? Even if he says that you can vbac, I would still switch. He'll only be saying what you want to hear, and then when the time comes, he'll force it on you. I've read way too many stories like that to believe your OB. Please please please switch providers, Livia. You shouldn't be so nervous going to see someone that YOU are paying. He works for you, not the other way around! Also, definitely not too late to get a doula. I found one for a friend of mine 2 days before she went into labor! And she was able to have an amazing natural birth with that extra help. Her doula's name was Kimberly, her number 801-966-5352. She lives in West Jordan, so it'll be pretty close to you. Oh, and I don't know if the midwives take on high risk patients, but I really liked them when we transferred to the hospital. I would totally give them a call and see what they say, since there are OBs in the hospital on call anyway, it's not like it would be really risky to use them. Their number is 507-7070. Also, Dr Draper is the one that did my c-section and I actually really liked him. He was very nice and respectful despite the fact that I was a homebirth transfer. When he thought we didn't have insurance, he was about to waive his fee for the surgery so we wouldn't have to pay it.

We should hang out soon, I can come to you if you don't feel up to going out! I bet the kids would love playing together!
post #39 of 43
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone again for the support.

So yesterday when I got to my appointment I had to wait because he had an unexpected delivery to do. Anyway when he got back it was like a total change from night to day. He was really nice, I think partly because he thinks I'm taking the heparin shots (which I'm not). I asked him about it. He said that he's not ruling it out 100% but that there could be complications because my baby is so huge right now (last we heard he was on the 80%) and he could be a diabetic baby and that brings complications, and they'd have to test him for xyz (can't remember the exact tests he said, but something to do with sugar levels). Then he also said that since I'm on the heparin I have a slight chance of complications at birth.

So dh and I are kind of confused. Well more like he's mad, because when he was at one appt. with me I asked the dr. if my baby will have to be tested for any diabetic issues (because if that were the case I'd be doing it at the peds) and he specifically said NO! He said the reason I measure my blood glucose levels is just as a prevention method because I couldn't do the three hour glucose test. He said I don't have gestational diabetes even though diabetes does run in my family. He's also going off my results from my first pregnancy which is ridiculous because every pregnancy is different and I gained a lot of weight with Landon. Way more than I should have so no wonder I was borderline. Now I'm taking way better care of myself and ALL my numbers are within the normal range. So now all of a sudden my baby has to be tested for diabetic issues? Was anyone planning on telling us about it? Besides there's no history of diabetes on my husband's side. Also with the heparin, I had no idea about slight complications at birth. I'm just not taking it because emotionally it stresses me out and I don't want to stress my baby but now I'm glad I'm not because I don't want any slight complications at birth. I do take other more gentle precautions though.

So yeah I'm switching. Brie, I can't believe that you've read stories like that. How horrible! I definitely don't want to be a victim like any of the women in these stories. Thanks for the numbers too. I'll definitely be calling them. Yeah I really liked dr. Draper, that's awesome that he did your c-section. He was really nice and took my feelings into consideration so in other words there was no pressure from him at all. Especially because he was the only one that thought about testing my blood for any clotting factors and since they all came back negative he said I can be on baby aspirin twice a day.

Anyway we should hangout. Landon needs a friend so desperately lol. He loooves other kids. You guys are always welcome to come here. Lately I've been really tired and I hate going to my prenatals just because I would just rather be home. I do want to go to the LLL meeting next week though. Today I have an appointment for a nst (non stress test) just to be sure the baby is okay per my dr. I wish I could cancel but then they'd charge me a fortune and he made the appointment for me so I'm going but after this I'll just call them back to reschedule a prenatal. According to all the tests they've done the baby is doing great so that puts me at ease too.
post #40 of 43
I'm glad you're going to switch doctors.

Just to let you know about testing the baby in case you're gestational diabetic. Your husband's genes have nothing to do with this. What the issue relates to is how much sugar is in your blood.

In diabetics there is lots of sugar. That's why they have fat babies. The babies get lots of extra calories. The babies also pump out insulin to keep their sugar levels at normal levels. When the baby is born, the huge amount of sugar they're constantly getting suddenly goes away. Except their body is used to pumping out insulin for high sugar levels. So, before their bodies can stop making the extra insulin, their sugar levels plummet and they have problems. They do a heelstick blood test, just like the genetic screen test, to make sure the baby isn't getting hypoglycemic. If it is, they will treat it. That could mean sugar water by mouth or IV or formula. I doubt if there's enough milk gotten through nursing to help them. If you are diabetic you do want this testing and interventions. If you're not diabetic it's stupid to do it unless the baby is having problems.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Utah, Arizona
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Utah, Arizona › Question about the religious exemption in our state for newborn screening