I am pregnant and overdue and both my children 4 years old and 20 months old have had vomiting and diarreah for 2 full weeks now. We took my DS to the ER last night because after having a wonderful day with no throwing up for at least 3 days and only semi diarreah once in the morning, he threw up his guts and had diarreah again. It is coming and going with them both. Neither are running a fever, except maybe one degree on one or two occasions, the throwing up has been one time with my 20 month old and about 7 or 8 times now with my 4 year old. The diarreah has been everyday with somedays running to the bathroom 5 or more times a day and other days only once a day, it is crazy. There is no pattern, we think they are getting better and then BOOM it happens again. My daughter went two days with regular poops, and no throwing up and then started with the diarreah again. As of today she has had one regular poop, and no throwing up, but my son threw up again twice at home and once in the ER and bless his heart exploded with diarreah in the ER while we were waiting on them to figure this out. I am close to tears as I hurt when my babies are sick and I am so frustrated because all they did was do a stomach X-ray to check for constipation (he's never been constipated one day in his life, he's got diarreah!!!!) Nothing came of the x-ray. They did end up getting a stool sample to check to see if this is viral or bacterial, but told us we wouldn't know anything until Tuesday of next week. They sent us home with some plastic toliet bowls to catch some more poop samples for taking to the peds if this continues, but am unsure of what that means. I am sure we aren't suppose to collect samples over the weekend, but again wait it out until Monday and call if nothing has changed. Although both my kids are eating and drinking and don't seem to be dehydrated, my 4 year old DS is loosing weight because he isn't eating his normal amount. Like I said I am overdue and will be having my baby at a birthing center and coming home the same day and that can happen at anytime. I am overwhelmed with what the heck to do. They've both been on probiotics, I even got the suggestion to put them on Culturelle a probiotic that is suppose to really help if they have Rotavirus, but after giving my son two doses he had the throwing up and explosive diarreah again and we decided to take him to the ER. Even the doctors said to keep him on the probiotics, but is there anything else we can do? This just seems to be going on so long, I've never known of any kind of virus to last this long. Please help with any suggestions on what this could be and what else we can do to help them.
post #1 of 9
10/1/10 at 4:26pm