or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › October 2010 Chat!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October 2010 Chat! - Page 3

post #41 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I figure since you keep explaining your reasoning, you don't mind if I keep going? Are you asking for mechanisms that low fats/fat soluble vitamins can cause these issues? Cause massive doses of probiotics did nada for me until I started the pancreatic enzymes, and now they have huge effect. Before, I had no reason to think I had an imbalance. Just sayin' And the primary symptom of exocrine pancreatic deficiency is poor absorption of fat soluble vitamins. And if paancreas *isn't* digesting food that well, how can the gut *not* be out of balance? Then again, my history is that I'm a c-sec baby who was breastfed for 2 years by a mom who's had issues her whole life and who ate nothing but corn syrup or the first week of her life. So gut bugs fit my history, even if my symptoms didn't *at all.*

Yasko uses K for pancreatic support, it's supposed to help with glutamate/calcium ion channels/neurotoxicity. Cell membranes are made up of fats, so not enough or poor quality fats would make for weak membranes. And free radicals (gut imbalance?) combined with MUFA or PUFA=lipid peroxidation, which would wreak havoc on cell membranes.
Yeah, Shannon, I am hoping that all you wise ladies will discuss me and figure me out.

I'm not saying that I can't have a deficiency in something else. Just that I don't see any signs to suggest that. But that doesn't mean it isn't there. I'm willing to consider that I have any of those deficiencies.

I am taking pancreatic support, but I don't know exactly what it is. It is called Pancreatrophin, but I can't tell you what is in it. At the time the naturopath gave it to me, I was sooo ready to stop trying to reason out and understand what was going on with me, and I was happy to let someone else tell me "take this sup, eat this diet" and see if it worked. It worked.

I've never actually taken a K supplement. I'm curious to try. Somebody tell me which one to take and how much. I'm ready for a new supplement experiment.

-----

Sandrine, you've had the sensitive gag reflex with previous pregnancies? I've never had it before. Just this pregnancy. It seems to be a common pregnancy symptom, but I am still curious to know why it happens.

-----

Wow, CS, you've been so ambitious lately! I'm impressed!
post #42 of 938
Lilya- it's really more of a "omg- we have nowhere to put the baby when it comes!" rather than ambition. And the floors are just gross and we've already paid for all the stuff to refinish them... so it just needs to be done before I have a little one crawling around on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post
Yeah, while they weren't tested for IgE's (never any symptoms, etc. to warrant), I have been tested twice, about 10 years apart - negative for everything, and never had any symptoms to suggest IgE issues.
Well... I wouldn't rely on that necessarily. We had absolutely no indications that DD's food issues were IgE. In fact, she tested negative to everything initially, and positive to almost everything on her IgG tests. As she got older and the tests became more accurate, she started showing positives, and now pretty much everything is IgE for her. We have had a few hives & swelling incidents, but nothing like that the first year or two. I was actually pretty surprised when everything started coming up positive for IgE. So just don't completely rule it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
That totally sucks. I feel for you. I hope DP is better this morning.
Barely. He can move... but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Had a dehydration headache all last night into today. Caused me to throw up and not sleep well. I'm having a hard time finding something (energy meds) that will help. I want to go on a big walk today and am not sure if I can handle it feeling this way.

Oh CS, how exhausting and overwhelming.
Sorry m2s. I hope you start feeling better quickly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
CS, I hope DP is able to move today. Do you have a chiro you can call?
No. I actually emailed my midwife because she's a massage therapist, but she was booked all weekend. I'm hoping to find someone that can get him in tomorrow, so that we don't have to pay crazy weekend fees.
post #43 of 938
So true, CS. We were shocked when DS1 came back IgE to milk too, although in hindsight there were/are a lot of telltale signs that we had got used to "shrugging off" after doctors telling us repeatedly that it was "normal".

Complaints for today: I'm tired and nauseated (stupid food colouring) and I swear my house is perpetually trashed. And I have to do our weekly grocery shop today. I'd have just thrown it in with our city trip since we were at a ton of stores yesterday, but our car is tiny so there's barely enough room for the things we stock up on (and we honestly end up not getting everything I want to simply because of space limitations), much less for our weekly groceries. I am always wishing we could borrow a van for the trip or leave the kids at grandma's (so we could use their seats in the car for stuff ).
post #44 of 938
Again it's not letting me quote. What's the deal - my computer is possessed! And it makes me log into MDC about 4 times before it finally accepts me.

Nov. 2 is surgery

B fresh gum had something in it so we had to stop using it. Can't remember if it was that the xylitol was corn sourced or something else but something caused us to stop using it. The bubble gum flavor was really good too.

I forgot about the cell salts. That should be good calcium. I am trying to use anchovies more. And I do a lot of leafy stuff. And salmon. And bone broth. It's just something that irritates me. Like if I'm deficient in Ca, then why can't my body tolerate it. It doesn't make sense.

Anybody have advice for meds/scarring. I believe that the surgeon tells you to put neosporin on the scars after surgery (I have to check when I go there later this month). I'm allergic to both neosporin and bacitracin. Anybody got another one they use? And everyone recommends Vitamin E to reduce scarring. Isn't Vitamin E one of those things that always ha soy in it? Anyboy know of a soy-free one?

Last nights pork with braised sauerkraut was really good (julia child's recipe). I think I'll go through her cookbook and make safe versions of every recipe. Think they'll make a movie out of that one?
post #45 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Sandrine, you've had the sensitive gag reflex with previous pregnancies? I've never had it before. Just this pregnancy. It seems to be a common pregnancy symptom, but I am still curious to know why it happens.
Yes, I always had it with the other pgcies but i find this time worse.

Kathy~ Would Calendula help with the scarring?

CS~ Hope your dh feels better soon!! I know how hard and how much in pain it is to not be able to move because of back pain. OUCH!!!
post #46 of 938
Kathy, my sister had back surgery for scoliosis when she was an early teen. Her doc told her to just keep the sun off of it. Keep it covered with dark clothing until it was all healed up. If she had to expose it, like in a bathing suit, to put on a very thick layer of really white zinc sunblock stuff.
post #47 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Again it's not letting me quote. What's the deal - my computer is possessed! And it makes me log into MDC about 4 times before it finally accepts me.
are your cookies set funny?

Quote:
B fresh gum had something in it so we had to stop using it. Can't remember if it was that the xylitol was corn sourced or something else but something caused us to stop using it. The bubble gum flavor was really good too.
Their site says none of the ingredients are corn derived. Maybe they reformulated?

Quote:
I forgot about the cell salts. That should be good calcium. I am trying to use anchovies more. And I do a lot of leafy stuff. And salmon. And bone broth. It's just something that irritates me. Like if I'm deficient in Ca, then why can't my body tolerate it. It doesn't make sense.
Sounds like you're not regulating it right, and that that's probably closely related to the osteoporosis as well. I think there was something out there that said extra calcium doesn't actually help osteoporosis, too, so I'd definitely look for some alternate routes and not worry one bit about not taking it.
Quote:
And everyone recommends Vitamin E to reduce scarring. Isn't Vitamin E one of those things that always ha soy in it? Anyboy know of a soy-free one?
I've been meaning to ask the same thing. A search on google comes up with a bunch of hits, but I haven't gone through them yet. I think sunflower seeds are a good source (but also high in omega 6's)

s
post #48 of 938
So low carbing (me) makes for infrequent/constipated poops for ds. More carbs in my diet -> more liquid poop for ds. What can I do with that information?
post #49 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Yay, butter! Does the gum happen to say what form the b12 is? And I want to fix dd's gut. We're still in the probiotics do nothing stage with her
No it doesn't say what form of B12 it is.

I forgot I was going to say that dd is tolerating kombucha quite well now and she used to get really constipated from it. We did have a small amount of mucous when we started but no rashes or mood issues so we kept drinking it and it seems to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

Anybody have advice for meds/scarring. I believe that the surgeon tells you to put neosporin on the scars after surgery (I have to check when I go there later this month). I'm allergic to both neosporin and bacitracin. Anybody got another one they use? And everyone recommends Vitamin E to reduce scarring. Isn't Vitamin E one of those things that always ha soy in it? Anyboy know of a soy-free one?
I think PB recommended this for scarring before and it says it you can use it on post-surgical wounds. Tamanu Oil
post #50 of 938
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Anybody have advice for meds/scarring. I believe that the surgeon tells you to put neosporin on the scars after surgery (I have to check when I go there later this month). I'm allergic to both neosporin and bacitracin. Anybody got another one they use? And everyone recommends Vitamin E to reduce scarring. Isn't Vitamin E one of those things that always ha soy in it? Anyboy know of a soy-free one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I think PB recommended this for scarring before and it says it you can use it on post-surgical wounds. Tamanu Oil
Kathy, I was going to suggest getting in touch with PB, she just knows tons and I bet she'd have lots of good ideas to get you back on your feet quickly.

Your cleaning dedication is so damn impressive. I can do it, I can! I mean, I can't be Kathy, but I can be the slower, less thorough version that will be a great improvement around here.
post #51 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Kathy, I was going to suggest getting in touch with PB, she just knows tons and I bet she'd have lots of good ideas to get you back on your feet quickly.

Your cleaning dedication is so damn impressive. I can do it, I can! I mean, I can't be Kathy, but I can be the slower, less thorough version that will be a great improvement around here.
really. move over julia childs and martha stewart, kathy brown's here!
just home from shopping. having a nursing break before i put the ham in
post #52 of 938
Thread Starter 
Chlobo, I forgot to say that I thought your idea of a thread about "this mineral fixed X, this vitamin fixed Y" type of thing was a really good one. It seems helpful now and helpful for using the Search. Maybe in the main H&H forum? You going to start it?
post #53 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
Kathy~ Would Calendula help with the scarring?
Is Calendula an herb? a liquid? a gel? I'm a novice...

I found a soy-free Vitamin E. Just have to save up my allowance to get it. This drastic budget is actually kind of fun so far. It's really showing how much we spend just because we think we can spend it. When it's really a "do I want to spend MY allowance on it" it's not so important. Though I need to get some slip-on shoes before the surgery. I'm trying to find a deal on those! I told DH that this $600 grocery budget doesn't seem to be as tough as I thought it would be. BUT I want to go get more coconut aminos this week because we're out, and DH needs more Zyrtec, so those are going to take a nice chunk out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Kathy, I was going to suggest getting in touch with PB, she just knows tons and I bet she'd have lots of good ideas to get you back on your feet quickly.

Your cleaning dedication is so damn impressive. I can do it, I can! I mean, I can't be Kathy, but I can be the slower, less thorough version that will be a great improvement around here.
The thing about cleaning is that I wish it would just stay clean. But kids do stuff, play, etc. and it's all messed up soon after. Today I said, take one thing out at a time, and put it back before playing with the next thing. TODAY, so far, that's what they've done, so their rooms are still clean a few hours later. But a month? That's asking a lot!! I like being thorough when I do it because when things make sense for where they are, hopefully it's easier to clean. My oldest is a total packrat. DS's room is easy -- he has books that go on the bookshelf, and legos that go in the lego bin. His other stuff fits in the bottom drawer of his desk (that's how much non-lego stuff he has). It's just that when he plays Legos, they're EVERYWHERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
really. move over julia childs and martha stewart, kathy brown's here!
just home from shopping. having a nursing break before i put the ham in
Mmmm... ham... I have one of those in the freezer. Now that my mother made safe currant jelly, I want to make her ham sauce again.

I made meringues today out of the leftover whites after I made mayo. They're half gone already (and only because I told DD2 she couldn't have any more!!

A lot of Julia Child's stuff looks like I can make a safe version of it. And it's kind of neat because she tells you why you're doing it. And there's new ways to make things. Like she bakes cucumbers. And does more with celery than I'd think of. And how to make different cuts/kinds of meats. I'm hoping that my mother will get me Vol. 2 for Christmas!! I just want to make all of it. I have a Martha Stewart enameled cast iron stockpot... does that count? I'm totally not Martha. She's creative. I'm not. I used to be. But I lost that part of me a while ago I think.

DH said I'm nesting. I said I'm just trying to organize so that my mother doesn't try to take over my house while she's here for my surgery.
post #54 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Is Calendula an herb? a liquid? a gel? I'm a novice...

I found a soy-free Vitamin E. Just have to save up my allowance to get it. This drastic budget is actually kind of fun so far. It's really showing how much we spend just because we think we can spend it. When it's really a "do I want to spend MY allowance on it" it's not so important. Though I need to get some slip-on shoes before the surgery. I'm trying to find a deal on those! I told DH that this $600 grocery budget doesn't seem to be as tough as I thought it would be. BUT I want to go get more coconut aminos this week because we're out, and DH needs more Zyrtec, so those are going to take a nice chunk out.



The thing about cleaning is that I wish it would just stay clean. But kids do stuff, play, etc. and it's all messed up soon after. Today I said, take one thing out at a time, and put it back before playing with the next thing. TODAY, so far, that's what they've done, so their rooms are still clean a few hours later. But a month? That's asking a lot!! I like being thorough when I do it because when things make sense for where they are, hopefully it's easier to clean. My oldest is a total packrat. DS's room is easy -- he has books that go on the bookshelf, and legos that go in the lego bin. His other stuff fits in the bottom drawer of his desk (that's how much non-lego stuff he has). It's just that when he plays Legos, they're EVERYWHERE!!



Mmmm... ham... I have one of those in the freezer. Now that my mother made safe currant jelly, I want to make her ham sauce again.

I made meringues today out of the leftover whites after I made mayo. They're half gone already (and only because I told DD2 she couldn't have any more!!

A lot of Julia Child's stuff looks like I can make a safe version of it. And it's kind of neat because she tells you why you're doing it. And there's new ways to make things. Like she bakes cucumbers. And does more with celery than I'd think of. And how to make different cuts/kinds of meats. I'm hoping that my mother will get me Vol. 2 for Christmas!! I just want to make all of it. I have a Martha Stewart enameled cast iron stockpot... does that count? I'm totally not Martha. She's creative. I'm not. I used to be. But I lost that part of me a while ago I think.

DH said I'm nesting. I said I'm just trying to organize so that my mother doesn't try to take over my house while she's here for my surgery.
Bolded: I've had that thought often. $800 is my "starting" grocery budget. I'd like to cut it down again soon and create an allowance for myself from the "extra" (note that my allowance usually ends up being spent on things like.. pruning shears, a drill, paint or light fixtures.. things to fix the house). We were spending $1000+ per month so now we actually have $200/mth to save.
I feel the same way about cleaning... it doesn't last long here either and DS1 has the same issue with Legos. I remember when he was young- around 4- and I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and he'd apparently woke up and played with both his Hot Wheels and his Legos... I stepped on a Hot Wheel, lost my balance and "caught" myself with the other foot before I fell, but I stepped on a Lego in the process. Ouch! Haha.
I've never seen any of her books, but I have seen a few of her recipes and they do seem relatively simple for conversion. Of course, knowing you, simple or not, chances are you'll find a way.
post #55 of 938
JR, you sound perkier today.
post #56 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Chlobo, I forgot to say that I thought your idea of a thread about "this mineral fixed X, this vitamin fixed Y" type of thing was a really good one. It seems helpful now and helpful for using the Search. Maybe in the main H&H forum? You going to start it?
Ok, its up in H&H. I just want to say that I know the ones I'm curious about have come up before but if I tried to find the answer now I never could. I need some sort of computer filing system for random facts. Any ideas?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post15910717
post #57 of 938
Other than the residual effects of the colouring yesterday, I'm feeling a lot better, Leigh. Thanks for noticing. I still have a slight cough/mild chest congestion but that'll go away soon, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ok, its up in H&H. I just want to say that I know the ones I'm curious about have come up before but if I tried to find the answer now I never could. I need some sort of computer filing system for random facts. Any ideas?
I have, when I'm organized , different bookmark folders for each symptom or condition I'm researching. Note that I am not presently organized.
post #58 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Is Calendula an herb? a liquid? a gel? I'm a novice...
Calendula is a plant. It does pretty flowers too. There is calendula gel or ointment that you can get at the hfs or you can buy the seeds and grow the plant. Once it's grown, you take a part of it, not sure if it's the leaves or the flower and steep them in oil and then use the oil for many different uses. I used it for cradle cap before. I use the Calendula ointment for scrapes and "bobos" that the girls get from getting hurt.
post #59 of 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ok, its up in H&H. I just want to say that I know the ones I'm curious about have come up before but if I tried to find the answer now I never could. I need some sort of computer filing system for random facts. Any ideas?
This worked well for me until I came over here and just started making a million threads and thinking out loud
http://nutrition.innavenir.com/wiki/tiki-index.php
post #60 of 938
Kathy, the brand Weleda makes a whole line of calendula creams and ointments meant for babies. Each one has different ingredients. Maybe one is good for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › October 2010 Chat!