or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › CM/Classical October Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CM/Classical October Thread - Page 6

post #101 of 242
Thread Starter 
Chicken and GF hotdogs over an open fire sound great! and on not being wonder woman! Lately the only nights I seem to cook dinner (instead of waiting for dh to do it when he gets home) is when I use the crockpot. Maybe that's why dh has been buying roasts and such!

Okay, question for those of you who do poetry or composer or artist study ... do you have a set day/time of day where it's a subject? Or do you just fold it into read aloud time (especially for poetry or looking at artwork)? Right now my brain is only functioning in terms of school subjects as read aloud is hit and miss during the school day (it tends to make me fall asleep right now! ), but I don't necessarily want it to look like "school work" if that makes sense.
post #102 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post


That sounds like very interesting poetry! Did all the poems have a play-on-words like an "ant" eater eating an "aunt"? That could make for some fun discussions about language.
No, the others didn't have that feature. The book is Dirty Beasts by Roald Dahl. There is a pig who realized his purpose in life and so eats the farmer, and one about a girl with porcupine quills in her butt. All very odd but quite funny. Dd seemed shocked and delighted that some adult wrote such a thing.
post #103 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
No, the others didn't have that feature. The book is Dirty Beasts by Roald Dahl. There is a pig who realized his purpose in life and so eats the farmer, and one about a girl with porcupine quills in her butt. All very odd but quite funny. Dd seemed shocked and delighted that some adult wrote such a thing.
Oh my goodness! They sound bizarre enough that I might have to see if our library system has the book!
post #104 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Oh my goodness! They sound bizarre enough that I might have to see if our library system has the book!
Well, apparently they only have it in Spanish.
post #105 of 242
Did I hear someone say fudge? Yum!

I spent the day working on making copywork for SOTW2 and The Burgess Bird Book and uploading it. I only got to chapter 12 for both, and we're getting ready to start week 11, but I figured I'll need it when Nate goes through the cycle so I might as well start from the beginning. I'm also working on getting our site updated with the Ambleside selections we're using.

How did I do so much? We took the week off. Nikolai turns 7 tomorrow!!!!!!! It is hard to believe so much time has passed since I held him in my arms for the first time. We have friends coming tomorrow for dinner and cake to celebrate. I should be cleaning right now, but I'm too tired. My eyes are hurting from too much screen time, so I'm going to run with commenting on previous posts. Forgive me!
post #106 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Did I hear someone say fudge? Yum!

I spent the day working on making copywork for SOTW2 and The Burgess Bird Book and uploading it. I only got to chapter 12 for both, and we're getting ready to start week 11, but I figured I'll need it when Nate goes through the cycle so I might as well start from the beginning. I'm also working on getting our site updated with the Ambleside selections we're using.

How did I do so much? We took the week off. Nikolai turns 7 tomorrow!!!!!!! It is hard to believe so much time has passed since I held him in my arms for the first time. We have friends coming tomorrow for dinner and cake to celebrate. I should be cleaning right now, but I'm too tired. My eyes are hurting from too much screen time, so I'm going to run with commenting on previous posts. Forgive me!
Nikolai I look at mine sometimes and think, "How in the world did they get so big without me noticing?!"

I need to make copywork for my maternity "leave". I think I'm going to use the Greek Myths book and maybe one of our science encyclopedias - keep it somewhat related to what we are studying without necessarily using our current curriculum (we are taking a break from our main curriculum as my maternity leave is not part of our planned 38 weeks of school.
post #107 of 242
I'm with everybody who wants a bowl of spicy chili and a bite of fudge . I didn't know you could make fudge with coconut milk. That sounds yummy! I made something spicy for dinner as well. Organic brown rice mixed with sliced bratwursts and sauteed anaheim peppers, banana peppers, onion, a jalapeno, and a whole lotta garden fresh cherry tomatoes sliced in half added at the last minute. I've been making some variation of this nearly every week all summer and I do believe this will be the last harvest of cherries big enough to make the dish for the year. It's yummy without meat as well as with a bit of cubed chicken or pork.

I went to the thrift store over the weekend and just happened to find a giant version of Charlotte's Web. It's big like a picture book, unabridged and with the original artwork. The words are really big and easy to see. I wanted to read this with the big kids this year anyway so the opportunity to read it aloud as my two year old's first chapter book seems great. I read chapter one tonight and she was falling asleep just at the end of the chapter. The big kids said they like it so far.

I have a few Roald Dahl books and they all seem a bit oddball in nature to me. Not to say some of his writing isn't good, just that it is also odd, lol.

On poetry, I'm honestly not much of a fan myself. I did enjoy Shel Silverstein as a child. I also spent a fair amount of time writing poetry as a teen, but really just as a creative emotional outlet.

Oh and we love Dr. Suess around here. I'm happy to have another little one so that I have an excuse to read them aloud. They can be quite fun and tricky on the tongue!
post #108 of 242
It's almost 11:00 at night and I don't have the food for lunch tomorrow!! DH had the car.
Ack! Oh well. My friend will understand and drive my butt a mile and a half up the road.

Roald Dahl is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, right?

All I have to do for tomorrow's co-op stuff is clean the rabbit cages in the living room which I do every other day anyway. Bathroom is all clean and waiting for the 4 year old to poop it.
post #109 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post

Roald Dahl is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, right?
Yep
post #110 of 242
Happy B-day to Nik! I am looking forward to checking out your blog!

I looked at the library for both the Monster Goose and Road Dahl Poetry but they didn't have either one.

MLW- Thanks for your thoughts on the AAS- I am sure I will be reading and re-reading that as I read the book and try to figure it out. I do plan on making it slow at first and see how it goes. As I said his writing just keeps exploding so I am anxious to so how that goes, however we are still working on the reading. Mommy intuition is he is on a big breakthrough right now and we need to sit a bit where we are w/ the phonics/reading instruction and just work w/ all those sounds and skills in different ways.

With music, art and poetry currently we are doing this. With poetry I had planned to read just AA Milne this term-12 weeks. Next term I have Children's Verse scheduled, undecided after that. I have lit time everyday- one day it is poems, then fables, fairy tales and Shakespeare. Lit time is done in our early school time- with Math, religion, writing and Latin.

For music currently all we have done is listen to Vivaldi- I have the classic for kids "Ring of Fire" and play that when I think of it. We haven't done much individual study but the CD really tells a lot about his life. This is not done at a particular time.

For art so far we generally do an artist a week and read abit abou their life, look at a painting and talk about it- ie picture study. Might do a art project based on their work. Art projects are done after snack break- this is once a week.

I want to change it up some though, especially after reading Charlotte Mason Help- she has such great ideas. I want to get a pic album for our artist study then print out a pic for each artist w/ a little info for them to keep. I did love last week we studied Raphael and what do you know but in the Goodwill window was a big copy of his Angels painting(not the exact name!) but my son says look it is Raphael. So, I hope to find them some albums tomorrow.

On the music study I would like to get more specific about that as well. I like in CMH she has a basic study broken down- yr 1 study the Orchestra, ballet, and Opera. We plan to see a performance of the Nutcracker, so I just decided to have the study of ballet for second term and then Opera third. For this 1st term- I also have Carnival of Animals I want to listen to as well as some more pieces of Vivaldi- I was just looking last week and was thinking it would be a nice time to listen to his Seasons piece.

Again though no specific time for music, generally after 1st break, before lunch though.

Oh, and I love Dr. Seuss as well, did I mention to you ladies I read a pic book about his boyhood life and how he came to be Seuss, very interesting. I really enjoy Dahl as well, although I find some of his works I don't really care for- like The Twits- I found to be horrid.
post #111 of 242
and as if my post wasn't long enough....

Speaking of poetry tonight we read an excerpt of Hiawatha- it is a kid's picture book w/ drawings by Susan Jeffers, very nicely done. It was a good intro and I thought it tied w/ the N.A. study we are doing. I don't know what they retained but I like introducing them to different words and language use. We had a dvd from the library about it as well, very nicely done also.

Oh, and anyone that has memory work info I am all ears. We are just doing basic stuff now- like the days of the week, months of the years. Learning various folk songs- we put on a rousing rendition of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" for dh. The kids absolutely love this. I feel like we should we be doing poems, bible verses and prayers. I have read how dif people do this and the system but my brain hasn't figured it out yet.
post #112 of 242
Kinda dorky...but can we make a list for the first post with ages/grades we are each teaching? I am curious.

I am using CM/Classical with ds18 (12th grade), ds10 (5th), dd8 (3rd), ds5 (K), dd3 (K....not agewise but doing the same work. kinda freaking me out. ), dd18mths tag along and baby due Jan 29,2011
post #113 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
I'm with everybody who wants a bowl of spicy chili and a bite of fudge . I didn't know you could make fudge with coconut milk. That sounds yummy! I made something spicy for dinner as well. Organic brown rice mixed with sliced bratwursts and sauteed anaheim peppers, banana peppers, onion, a jalapeno, and a whole lotta garden fresh cherry tomatoes sliced in half added at the last minute. I've been making some variation of this nearly every week all summer and I do believe this will be the last harvest of cherries big enough to make the dish for the year. It's yummy without meat as well as with a bit of cubed chicken or pork.
Yum! That sounds so dang tasty! (Makes my acid reflux kick in just reading it, but sounds very good none-the-less. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

MLW- Thanks for your thoughts on the AAS- I am sure I will be reading and re-reading that as I read the book and try to figure it out. I do plan on making it slow at first and see how it goes. As I said his writing just keeps exploding so I am anxious to so how that goes, however we are still working on the reading. Mommy intuition is he is on a big breakthrough right now and we need to sit a bit where we are w/ the phonics/reading instruction and just work w/ all those sounds and skills in different ways.

With music, art and poetry currently we are doing this. With poetry I had planned to read just AA Milne this term-12 weeks. Next term I have Children's Verse scheduled, undecided after that. I have lit time everyday- one day it is poems, then fables, fairy tales and Shakespeare. Lit time is done in our early school time- with Math, religion, writing and Latin.

For music currently all we have done is listen to Vivaldi- I have the classic for kids "Ring of Fire" and play that when I think of it. We haven't done much individual study but the CD really tells a lot about his life. This is not done at a particular time.

For art so far we generally do an artist a week and read abit abou their life, look at a painting and talk about it- ie picture study. Might do a art project based on their work. Art projects are done after snack break- this is once a week.

I want to change it up some though, especially after reading Charlotte Mason Help- she has such great ideas. I want to get a pic album for our artist study then print out a pic for each artist w/ a little info for them to keep. I did love last week we studied Raphael and what do you know but in the Goodwill window was a big copy of his Angels painting(not the exact name!) but my son says look it is Raphael. So, I hope to find them some albums tomorrow.

On the music study I would like to get more specific about that as well. I like in CMH she has a basic study broken down- yr 1 study the Orchestra, ballet, and Opera. We plan to see a performance of the Nutcracker, so I just decided to have the study of ballet for second term and then Opera third. For this 1st term- I also have Carnival of Animals I want to listen to as well as some more pieces of Vivaldi- I was just looking last week and was thinking it would be a nice time to listen to his Seasons piece.

Again though no specific time for music, generally after 1st break, before lunch though.
Thank you for all that information! It totally helps me see it a bit better. I'm realizing that we are really good with some subjects (hitting Latin every day, doing really well with math, actually *doing* science and history this year), but then realize I'm somewhat neglecting other aspects of schooling (kind of reminds me of my kids when they were younger ... when they were really focusing/developing one area of development, they would often regress in another until the new skill became automatic). I'm realizing I need to work on literature, writing, and the arts. (Though we are doing art basically 2x a week now between actually doing art with Artistic Pursuits and Sketch Tuesday; it would be nice to learn some of the artists themselves.) That's awesome your son recognized Raphael! I cannot wait until we get into late medieval times/early renaissance; I do love the art that came from that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Oh, and anyone that has memory work info I am all ears. We are just doing basic stuff now- like the days of the week, months of the years. Learning various folk songs- we put on a rousing rendition of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" for dh. The kids absolutely love this. I feel like we should we be doing poems, bible verses and prayers. I have read how dif people do this and the system but my brain hasn't figured it out yet.
I bought Living Memory and have incorporated the ideas on memory work. I don't always use his resources (though there are tons in the book) but I love the idea of a memory work binder. I'll post more, but the boys just went to bed and ds#3 is calling for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Kinda dorky...but can we make a list for the first post with ages/grades we are each teaching? I am curious.

I am using CM/Classical with ds18 (12th grade), ds10 (5th), dd8 (3rd), ds5 (K), dd3 (K....not agewise but doing the same work. kinda freaking me out. ), dd18mths tag along and baby due Jan 29,2011
I'm using classical (WTM and Latin Centered Curriculum as our basis though I rarely follow their actual curriculum suggestions ) with ds#1 (4th grade), ds#2 (2nd grade - very young 2nd grader but working at a mid-2nd grade and above level), and ds#3 (technically PreK 4 year old, but other than needing time for his fine motor skills to develop, he's working at a K level), and Little Bean due the beginning of December.
post #114 of 242
Well I don't think much will happen here today - I'm just waiting to call the riding instructor at 9 and say we won't be there. I seem to have the beginnings of a mastitis infection, and I feel terrible. I was freezing all night.

Looks like a tv day for the girls, although I am still planning to practice music.
post #115 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Well I don't think much will happen here today - I'm just waiting to call the riding instructor at 9 and say we won't be there. I seem to have the beginnings of a mastitis infection, and I feel terrible. I was freezing all night.

Looks like a tv day for the girls, although I am still planning to practice music.
Oh no! I hope you feel better soon. Mastitis can be quite nasty. Not sure if you want advice or not, but I'll share what helped me when I had a bad bout of breast infection. I bathed or showered multiple times and used a wide toothed comb on my breast, feeding baby right after. Also I used a rice sock while in the bed and fed baby as often as she was willing. If you don't have a rice sock, but have a sock and some rice, please make yourself one. Just put some rice in the sock and knot it off, no sewing necessary. I heat mine in the microwave for 30 second intervals until warm, but I'd think you could carefully heat one in an oven if you don't have a microwave. It will stay warm for a long time and it really helped me.
post #116 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Well I don't think much will happen here today - I'm just waiting to call the riding instructor at 9 and say we won't be there. I seem to have the beginnings of a mastitis infection, and I feel terrible. I was freezing all night.

Looks like a tv day for the girls, although I am still planning to practice music.
Ok, mastisis gives you the FULL day off to eat chocolate and loll in bed. Ouch! And get better, my friend!
post #117 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Kinda dorky...but can we make a list for the first post with ages/grades we are each teaching? I am curious.

I am using CM/Classical with ds18 (12th grade), ds10 (5th), dd8 (3rd), ds5 (K), dd3 (K....not agewise but doing the same work. kinda freaking me out. ), dd18mths tag along and baby due Jan 29,2011
My eldest is dd10 (5th), ds8 (3rd), and little one dd2 who currently loves being read to, working puzzles, sorting, learning about letters, and sings along with Songschool Latin. We have two children who are the same ages and grades. My eldest daughter and I were both born in January, your new baby picked a good birth month!
post #118 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Nikolai I look at mine sometimes and think, "How in the world did they get so big without me noticing?!"
I know! Seven seems so big to me for some reason. Like he's no longer a little kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
I went to the thrift store over the weekend and just happened to find a giant version of Charlotte's Web. It's big like a picture book, unabridged and with the original artwork. The words are really big and easy to see. I wanted to read this with the big kids this year anyway so the opportunity to read it aloud as my two year old's first chapter book seems great. I read chapter one tonight and she was falling asleep just at the end of the chapter. The big kids said they like it so far.
Nice find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
All I have to do for tomorrow's co-op stuff is clean the rabbit cages in the living room which I do every other day anyway. Bathroom is all clean and waiting for the 4 year old to poop it.
Cage cleaning. Ugh. I have a guinea pig cage to clean today. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the bending over. My back always hurts when I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Happy B-day to Nik! I am looking forward to checking out your blog!

With music, art and poetry currently we are doing this. With poetry I had planned to read just AA Milne this term-12 weeks. Next term I have Children's Verse scheduled, undecided after that. I have lit time everyday- one day it is poems, then fables, fairy tales and Shakespeare. Lit time is done in our early school time- with Math, religion, writing and Latin.

For music currently all we have done is listen to Vivaldi- I have the classic for kids "Ring of Fire" and play that when I think of it. We haven't done much individual study but the CD really tells a lot about his life. This is not done at a particular time.

For art so far we generally do an artist a week and read abit abou their life, look at a painting and talk about it- ie picture study. Might do a art project based on their work. Art projects are done after snack break- this is once a week.

I want to change it up some though, especially after reading Charlotte Mason Help- she has such great ideas. I want to get a pic album for our artist study then print out a pic for each artist w/ a little info for them to keep. I did love last week we studied Raphael and what do you know but in the Goodwill window was a big copy of his Angels painting(not the exact name!) but my son says look it is Raphael. So, I hope to find them some albums tomorrow.

On the music study I would like to get more specific about that as well. I like in CMH she has a basic study broken down- yr 1 study the Orchestra, ballet, and Opera. We plan to see a performance of the Nutcracker, so I just decided to have the study of ballet for second term and then Opera third. For this 1st term- I also have Carnival of Animals I want to listen to as well as some more pieces of Vivaldi- I was just looking last week and was thinking it would be a nice time to listen to his Seasons piece.
We did Robert Louis Stevenson, A.A. Milne, and nursery rhymes last year for poetry. This year we're working through various poetry I had on the shelf. Right now we're working through The Wishing Bone, and Other Poems by Stephen Mitchell.

How we do music and artist study is on my blog. Right now we're studying Antonin Dvorak for composer study, and Leonardo da Vinci for artist study. I plan to cover orchestra, ballet, and opera more in depth another year, but I haven't decided when to fit it in yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Oh, and anyone that has memory work info I am all ears. We are just doing basic stuff now- like the days of the week, months of the years. Learning various folk songs- we put on a rousing rendition of "I've Been Working on the Railroad" for dh. The kids absolutely love this. I feel like we should we be doing poems, bible verses and prayers. I have read how dif people do this and the system but my brain hasn't figured it out yet.
For memory work we pick a poem (the first ones came from WWE, which we have since quit using). On the first day I read the poem aloud 3 times. Then I have Nik repeat a line or two after me, working through the whole poem. We work on him repeating after me each day until he feels he can do the whole poem. Then I take a video of him reciting it. I'm sure the same method could be used for prayers and Bible verses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Kinda dorky...but can we make a list for the first post with ages/grades we are each teaching? I am curious.
I have a 7yo 1st grader, and a 5yo who isn't doing much formal schooling. We're doing a combination of classical and CM, with our very own twists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Well I don't think much will happen here today - I'm just waiting to call the riding instructor at 9 and say we won't be there. I seem to have the beginnings of a mastitis infection, and I feel terrible. I was freezing all night.
Feel better!
post #119 of 242
Cage cleaning UGH for sure.

We started deserts today and did FLL. (I might get addicted to that, MLW!!)

My friend will be over in an hour for lunch and history/science. And then I'm done for the day!!
post #120 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Well I don't think much will happen here today - I'm just waiting to call the riding instructor at 9 and say we won't be there. I seem to have the beginnings of a mastitis infection, and I feel terrible. I was freezing all night.

Looks like a tv day for the girls, although I am still planning to practice music.
Oh, I hope you feel better soon! I had mastitis with every babe (I'm so hoping to avoid it this time). One thing my midwife told me to do, which knocked it out, was to make apple cider vinegar "tea" - basically for every quart of water, you add 1/8 cup raw apple cider vinegar (not the fake Heinz stuff) and a couple tablespoons of good honey to sweeten. The goal is to drink at least 2 quarts of it a day (4 quarts would be really good). It helped me avoid antibiotics the third time (ds#3 has was the first delivered by my mw), but at the same time, it can be serious enough to need antibiotics. Just thought I'd throw that out there to see if it might help. Get plenty of rest. (Oh cold cabbage leaves helped a lot too ... dh kept them in a bowl of mostly ice and I would reapply as soon as they warmed. I think I also took belladonna homeopathic remedy.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › CM/Classical October Thread