or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › Comparing Handwork Teacher Training Programs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparing Handwork Teacher Training Programs

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
When I read school sites and blogs, I only find handwork teachers who have been through Threefold (was w/Sunbridge) and no one who has been to Rudolf Steiner College for handwork teacher training.

Does anyone have experience with Rudolf Steiner College versus Threefold or know someone who does? What are the differences? Are they both basics to start you off or is one program more for those already teaching etc??

THANKS!!!
post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 

Anyone? Anyone? Thanks in advance!

post #3 of 16
I can't help you, but you did get me to spend an hour on Steiner College's website, dreaming of becoming a handwork teacher. (The only job I think I could ever do, haha.)
post #4 of 16

I know this is a very old thread but I wonder if you ever decided on a program, Wendy? I am also debating between the two programs and intend to start this year.

 

Best wishes!

 

emily

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunabellamama View Post

I know this is a very old thread but I wonder if you ever decided on a program, Wendy?

No, Emily. I never heard from anyone about the programs, and I haven't made a decision yet. I am graduating with my BS in May, so I'll be considering everything more seriously then. Let me know how it goes wherever you end up!

 

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 

I started this thread over a year ago, and I was hoping some newbies might have something to add?? I've recently resigned from teaching preschool (perhaps only briefly), and I'm yearning for a change.

 

Rudolf Steiner College starts a new handwork training cycle this year, but Threefold's isn't until next year. So, I'm researching!!

post #7 of 16
I know you haven't posted for a bit, but I was also wondering if by now you had decided on a path? I too am looking for some information in regards to comparing the two programs. I am currently a nanny Looking to attend one of the programs. I'm thinking maybe the environment may be a bit influential as to where you are learning on campus during the short times you are there. I also saw that the Sunbridge one is 4 years and I believe Rudolf Steiner is 3 years(correct me if I'm wrong).
I'd love to hear any additional information or opinions you may have.
Thank you!
post #8 of 16
My apologize I meant at Threefold (not Sunbridge)
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandeliongarden View Post

I know you haven't posted for a bit, but I was also wondering if by now you had decided on a path? I too am looking for some information in regards to comparing the two programs. I am currently a nanny Looking to attend one of the programs. I'm thinking maybe the environment may be a bit influential as to where you are learning on campus during the short times you are there. I also saw that the Sunbridge one is 4 years and I believe Rudolf Steiner is 3 years(correct me if I'm wrong).
I'd love to hear any additional information or opinions you may have.
Thank you!

 

I never learned anything about the program at Rudolf Steiner College other than what is on their website, but I have heard many great things about the Fiber Craft Studio. So, I have chosen to apply for the program there, and yes, also because of it's location. I did, however, find some Steiner-related art/art therapy programs abroad, but that opens a whole other can of worms!

 

You're correct about the length of the programs, but it looks like the overall length evens out in the long run. Each ends up being 12 weeks total.

  • The Fiber Craft Studio program extends over four years with each year consisting of 2 weeks in the summers and 1 week each spring session.
  • Rudolf Steiner College's program extends over three years with 3 weeks in the summers and 1 week each spring.
post #10 of 16

I am so interested too! Wanted to follow this discussion :)

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 

I sent in my application to the Fiber Craft Studio one day after it was available online, then yesterday I had my phone "interview" and was accepted into the program! I am sooo excited! energy.gif

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 

I just wanted to post an update for those of you who were interested in this thread.

 

I'm currently at handwork training at Threefold, and I must say it was very much worth to get here (financially, travel, etc). There are 18 of us in the 8th Cycle and the instructors are quite amazing at times. It's fun but a lot of work... especially for me as a crocheter who's a slow knitter. Anyway, I never did meet anyone who had been in the handwork training at Rudolf Steiner College, but there are people here from CA if that says anything.

post #13 of 16
Hi WednesdayO! I was just thinking of this the other day! So happy you posted and update :0) So how has it been going so far? I've had to put my plans on hold a bit due to a job change but I'm hopefully going to be getting back on track soon.
What type of requirements do they have at Threefold for the acceptance?
Where are you located in relation to NY? I'm in Baltimore, wish I was closer so I could just commute!
That is interesting that there are some folks from CA there instead of sticking to the sweet Coast for their training. Have you inquired about why or if they looked into RSC?
Thanks so much!!!
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeliongarden View Post
What type of requirements do they have at Threefold for the acceptance?

I know you have to have good basic handwork skills and they prefer that you have some experience/knowledge of Waldorf education and/or Anthroposophy. There are a variety of women in my cycle... Handwork Teachers, Handwork Assistants, Kindergarten Assistants, homeschool mothers, and a few others!

 

Quote:

Where are you located in relation to NY?

I'm in NC, and I drove! Straight through it's less than 9 hours, but of course that didn't happen. With traffic, rain late in the day, and a couple of short stops, it took me almost 11 hours I think! The drive home wasn't quite as long. I liked having my car there and being able to pack some food, linens, and various other things that were just easier to deal with in my own vehicle than on an airplane.

 

Quote:

 That is interesting that there are some folks from CA there instead of sticking to the sweet Coast for their training. Have you inquired about why or if they looked into RSC?

  I never heard anyone say specifically other than the great reputation of the Fiber Craft Studio and the fact that they're a working studio doing research etc. Although it's located on the Threefold campus where Sunbridge Institute is located, it's its own entity dedicated to fiber craft.

post #15 of 16
I am going to apply to the fibercraft studio for the handwork cycle starting summer 2015.
I live 45 minutes away and am a "frequent flyer" to sunbridge, green meadow, threefold and fcs.

Can't wait, wish it was this summer.
Hope to meet some of u folks there:)
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternkeeper View Post

I am going to apply to the fibercraft studio for the handwork cycle starting summer 2015.
I live 45 minutes away and am a "frequent flyer" to sunbridge, green meadow, threefold and fcs.

Can't wait, wish it was this summer.
Hope to meet some of u folks there:)


Good luck! You're lucky to live so close. Since you are close, you could always come meet one of the other cycle groups to ask questions etc. The faculty is beyond awesome!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Waldorf
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › Comparing Handwork Teacher Training Programs