or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone in San Diego?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Well, I'm sure there are plenty of mamas in San Diego, but I just wanted to say hello.

My husband is active duty military and I just recently switched to Tricare Standard so I could be seen somewhere other than Balboa. Right now I have an appointment scheduled for next week (10 weeks 4 days) with a UCSD midwife.

I look forward to getting to know other SD mamas. (I'm a Seattle-area native, by the way.)
post #2 of 29
Welcome to the area, Beth! I have a 4 year old DD and a 5 month old DS.
We live in Mission Valley, right by USCD. PM me anytime if you'd like to have a playdate at the park or something!
post #3 of 29
I'm in San Diego! I live in the Logan Heights neighborhood, I have two daughters, ages 9 & 8, and another daughter due in early March. We are also going to UCSD for prenatal, looking forward to the Birth Center. What clinic are you going to go to?

I'm super busy right now, I'm a UCSD student, but in a couple of months I will be done for a while as I am taking a few quarters off to spend with the baby. So come December - January I'd love to do a park trip or something.
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama23 View Post
Welcome to the area, Beth! I have a 4 year old DD and a 5 month old DS.
We live in Mission Valley, right by USCD. PM me anytime if you'd like to have a playdate at the park or something!
Thank you for the welcome! I might have to take you up on the playdate sometime. My son needs more! (I can't remember if I mentioned the ages of my kids--4 year old DS and 7 year old DD... and due in May.)
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post
I'm in San Diego! I live in the Logan Heights neighborhood, I have two daughters, ages 9 & 8, and another daughter due in early March. We are also going to UCSD for prenatal, looking forward to the Birth Center. What clinic are you going to go to?

I'm super busy right now, I'm a UCSD student, but in a couple of months I will be done for a while as I am taking a few quarters off to spend with the baby. So come December - January I'd love to do a park trip or something.
A friend of mine recently delivered at the UCSD Birth Center and had a wonderful experience. I'm going to a clinic in La Jolla.. I know there is one in Hillcrest too I believe?

What are you studying at UCSD? I'm hoping to return to school... someday.. when we finish having babies. I have a BA that I'll likely never use, and I started working on my prereqs for Nursing. But that's on hold for now.
post #6 of 29
I am studying environmental engineering. Of course I just HAD to study something really demanding that would take forever! But it is really interesting and I figure I will like my job (and be able to get one) whenever I actually finish.

The La Jolla clinic is probably really nice... I went up there for my ultrasound yesterday and it is posh! I don't know the other midwives up there, but I do know one, Beth Timpe, and she is really nice. I am currently doing backbends with my insurance to be able to go see her at the Hillcrest clinic, where she works one morning a week. I have been seeing Jennifer Hirsch and she really rubs me the wrong way, though I've seen her reviewed favorably on here before. But my partner can't stand her, either.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post
I am studying environmental engineering. Of course I just HAD to study something really demanding that would take forever! But it is really interesting and I figure I will like my job (and be able to get one) whenever I actually finish.

The La Jolla clinic is probably really nice... I went up there for my ultrasound yesterday and it is posh! I don't know the other midwives up there, but I do know one, Beth Timpe, and she is really nice. I am currently doing backbends with my insurance to be able to go see her at the Hillcrest clinic, where she works one morning a week. I have been seeing Jennifer Hirsch and she really rubs me the wrong way, though I've seen her reviewed favorably on here before. But my partner can't stand her, either.
My first appointment is scheduled with Beth Minicucci. My friend said she liked her... and she gave me the name of a few that kind of rubbed her the wrong way too (but I'll have to ask her for those names again... because I forgot!). I'll make note of the other "Beth" as well. Thank you! And I'm sorry you're having trouble with your insurance. I have Tricare and for some reason, Beth Minicucci is the only one they have listed on their page, but when I called the clinic, they assured me that I can see any of the providers in that group and they're all covered the same way. Tricare probably just doesn't have their site updated. *eyeroll*

How did your ultrasound go? Well, I hope!

ETA: I forgot to say--that's awesome about Environmental Engineering! A field in which we need more good people. Good luck with the rest of your studies!
post #8 of 29
Welcome! I'm up north a bit but it's always nice to see more MDC mamas in the area I've heard nothing but great things about birthing at the UCSD birth center.
post #9 of 29
Our ultrasound went very well, we found out that we are having a girl, so that was exciting, and got some really cute pics to take home. I was surprised at how long it took, almost an hour! I commented that it seemed like they do a lot more now than when I was pregnant with my first two, and they said that they can see so much more now that they have a lot they check. So that was interesting.

So far the baby looks a lot like my younger daughter, judging by the profile, so I'm really excited to compare when she is born.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
Welcome! I'm up north a bit but it's always nice to see more MDC mamas in the area I've heard nothing but great things about birthing at the UCSD birth center.
Yay about UCSD Birth Center! It's always nice to hear more good words.

I'm up north a bit too as far as San Diego is concerned.. northeast maybe. Rancho Penasquitos.
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post
Our ultrasound went very well, we found out that we are having a girl, so that was exciting, and got some really cute pics to take home. I was surprised at how long it took, almost an hour! I commented that it seemed like they do a lot more now than when I was pregnant with my first two, and they said that they can see so much more now that they have a lot they check. So that was interesting.

So far the baby looks a lot like my younger daughter, judging by the profile, so I'm really excited to compare when she is born.
Happy to hear that it went well! And congratulations on your girl news!
post #12 of 29
Thanks, HappyMamaBeth! I am really happy to get another girl, as the ones I have are so awesome, haha. But they were disappointed, they really wanted a brother. My older one is over it, my younger one is still a little bummed. But they love little kids and are really great with them, so I'm sure they will totally fall in love her when she is born.

My only complaint about a girl is that we picked a boy name really easily, but now are battling over a girl name! I want Freja, but dh just says "It's ok". Everyone else loves it, I'm really hoping he comes around, I haven't found anything else I like so much.

Are you planning on finding out what you are having? I didn't with my other two, it was fun waiting but I knew had to let my girls get used to the idea of a girl if that's what we were having, I'm really glad we found out!
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katroshka View Post
Thanks, HappyMamaBeth! I am really happy to get another girl, as the ones I have are so awesome, haha. But they were disappointed, they really wanted a brother. My older one is over it, my younger one is still a little bummed. But they love little kids and are really great with them, so I'm sure they will totally fall in love her when she is born.

My only complaint about a girl is that we picked a boy name really easily, but now are battling over a girl name! I want Freja, but dh just says "It's ok". Everyone else loves it, I'm really hoping he comes around, I haven't found anything else I like so much.

Are you planning on finding out what you are having? I didn't with my other two, it was fun waiting but I knew had to let my girls get used to the idea of a girl if that's what we were having, I'm really glad we found out!
I LOVE the name Freja.

Yes, I'm planning on finding out what I'm having, even though that won't be til December or January I suppose! I'm just too impatient. I tried to wait with my first, but when I was sitting in the waiting room for my ultrasound, I caved and decided I HAD to know. Plus I know my husband will want to know. He's overseas until April and won't be home for the ultrasound, but I'll tell him the news as soon as I can of course.
post #14 of 29
It seemed like the wait until the ultrasound was sooooo long... it was funny because with my girls I really don't remember being anxious about finding out, I was curious but totally fine to wait. I don't know if it's because this is #3 or because I had decided to find out, but I was dying to know with this one.

Everyone loves the name Freja- except dh, of course!

It must be really hard to not have your husband home...
post #15 of 29
Hello - I'm in the San Diego area, too...East County. We had our son at Best Start Birth Center and were so happy with our experience there. I really considered UCSD but, obviously, didn't end up there (I didn't even tour UCSD so I can't compare the two). Right now I'm a SAHM to our 11 week old. I'm also a student at SDSU. I took this semester off but am going back for the spring semester. I'd love to get together with other MDC moms in the area!
post #16 of 29
Hello San Diego mamas! I live in Ocean Beach and I co-cared through the Hillcrest UCSD clinic with one of my homebirths. I didn't go in every month since I was already seeing a CPM on a regular basis so I didn't get to know any of the midwives that well. They were all nice enough, though. I actually know the ones at Best Start better from going to prenatals with a good friend over this past summer. They were very professional and caring individuals. I have had friends give birth at UCSD birthing center and they have all had great experiences.

I'm game for playdates. We have a pretty busy schedule but I would love to try and make it work.
post #17 of 29

Hi mamas! I am currently in SD about 50% of my time. I spend the other half in Orange County, but I'm planning on moving down here permanently in July. We are in the Clairemont area. I've been MIA from MDC for a while, it would be nice to meet some like minded mama's in the area. I have 2 girls, ages 3 and 5, and my finacee has a 4 year old daughter, so we've definitely got our hands full :)

post #18 of 29

I just moved to San Diego about a month ago. My husband just got out of the military and he's working on transferring to UCSD. I have a 6 year old son, a 14 month old daughter, and I'm 6 weeks pregnant with Baby #3. I don't really know how to describe what neighborhood we're in because I don't know my way around very well. Some landmarks would be Montgomery Field Airport, Rady Childrens Hospital, Mesa College is a few miles away. I'm sorting out my insurance before I make my first appointment with the Best Star Birthing Center. I haven't made any friends yet, so this seemed like the best place to start!

post #19 of 29

Hi Everyone! I'm a Doula in training. Mom of 3, 2 of which were born in home. :-) we live in Carlsbad. Oh, and my names Donna 

post #20 of 29
I'm just South of TJ, but had my baby in SD, and work there too. I LOVE SD, but it's so expensive, even with a good income.

UCSD is very nice, Ive heard great things about their birth center. My pedi is in a UCSD practice (on Frost St) that is also a teaching group. I love it because you get so much extra attention and they are very thorough, plus the wait is never too long even though its crazy busy. I never get the feeling we are taking up too much time, even when I have a billion questions. My sons pedi is Dr. Pickering and he's great, very cute too, lol. I also see Dr Leff, she is also good, if DrP isn't available when I want an appointment.

For prenatal and birth, I had an OB, Dr Goldstein, who is in practice with a very good CNM named Sherri. I only saw her a few times though. He was fantastic, you could see either him or her for prenatal, your choice. I was very happy her was there for my CS, it would have been scary with a stranger. I had an amazing experience at Sharp Mary Birch, they are very kind and go out of their way to explain all procedures, as well as ask permission for every thing, from cleaning your bathroom to CS. DH and I were a little shocked at how great everyone was. the web says there aren't private rooms but this is not true. a few you have to share a bathroom, but not the room, but most are fully private. and everyone has full access to lactation nurses who are great. they are all about keeping baby with momma and BF.

If you arent going unmedicated, or think you may change your mind, they have the patient controlled epidural. This is awesome, you don't have to be crazy numb or immobile, YOU decide when and how much pain meds you want. They dont push pain meds at all either. Plus, they support all types of birth plans too. Unlike UCSD, they don't have a birthing center, they do have birth balls and such. it's the best place for high risk mommas and babies. My OB had a CNM as part of his practice, so I think they have MWs with privileges.

I wish I was a little closer, it's kind of a long drive for playdates or mommy nights out. it's a great city with lots of resources.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: California, Nevada