or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Book club book choice thread

Poll Results: What book would you like to read?

Poll expired: Oct 18, 2010 This is a multiple choice poll
  • 16% (2)
    Big Fish - Daniel Wallace
  • 16% (2)
    Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
  • 16% (2)
    Chocolat - Joanne Harris
  • 16% (2)
    Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards
  • 16% (2)
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
  • 16% (2)
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
12 Total Votes  
post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Choose which book you'd like to read!

You can choose any that you are interested in. That way you don't have to narrow it down to just one. The one that the most people are interested in will be the winner. If some of the others are close we can just move them next in line. If we have a tie- I'll flip a coin or something.
post #2 of 14
Thread Starter 
Note: I still don't know how well actual book club meetings will pan out, given the experience last week, but at the very least I think it might be interesting to all read the same book. We can start a thread about it here, or on Facebook. And then hopefully we can work out a time for those who are able to meet.
post #3 of 14
THanks for doing this Rhi! I was bummed to have had to miss the (attempted) meeting, but I really need a novel to read and so I'm voting for... Big Fish! Because I always hear you talk about the movie My old book club read most of the other ones and I liked them all so I'm happy to read them again!

April, if you read this - did your library have this book on their list? wasn't there a bookclub list for copies or a book club kit or something... I don't remember exactly.
post #4 of 14
The Wake county libraries do book club kits that include enough copies of the book for everyone in the club, plus a discussion guide, all of which can be checked out for up to 7 weeks. All of the above titles are available as kits.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Dawn View Post
The Wake county libraries do book club kits that include enough copies of the book for everyone in the club, plus a discussion guide, all of which can be checked out for up to 7 weeks. All of the above titles are available as kits.
How does it work if not everyone lives in Wake Co?

I have no problem going to check any of them out from the Durham library, either way, but I was wondering.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
oh yeah, I set the poll up to close after 3 days. I figured otherwise we'd just end up keeping this going forever. If something doesn't jump out as a front runner by then, I'm just going to choose the book that I dreamed last night that we chose!
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
How does it work if not everyone lives in Wake Co?

I have no problem going to check any of them out from the Durham library, either way, but I was wondering.
One person in the club checks out all of the copies for everyone on her card. The plus side to that is it's easier to keep track of, and as long as that person has a wake library card, you're good. The down side is that if person A checks out the kit and hands out copies and person B is late getting the book back to A to return it, A will be responsible for the overdue fines.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Dawn View Post
One person in the club checks out all of the copies for everyone on her card. The plus side to that is it's easier to keep track of, and as long as that person has a wake library card, you're good. The down side is that if person A checks out the kit and hands out copies and person B is late getting the book back to A to return it, A will be responsible for the overdue fines.
That's what I was figuring. I might check out my own copy, if I can find the same edition in Durham. I believe I have overdue books right now, the very first time I ever checked out books from the Durham library (on my behalf, I figured it would email me when they were due, since it emailed me about the fact that I checked them out!). I am thinking I won't be very reliable, since I never see you guys.

ETA: Oh sweet! I just looked and the books were due today! I love the internet and the fact that I can renew online.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
you guys aren't making this easy
post #10 of 14
I missed the poll due to a busy weekend. I am interested in reading Chocolat or The Memory Keeper's Daughter first. When will we meet to discuss?
post #11 of 14
Maybe you should just draw from a hat
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Okay, with Somemyrrh's suggestions that makes the choices Chocolat or Memory Keeper's Daughter.

Anyone have a strong reaction to either of those? Otherwise I'll flip a coin tomorrow
post #13 of 14
They all sound fine to me. I didn't vote in time, or I would have voted for all of them.
post #14 of 14
I missed the vote too. Memory Keeper's Daughter has been on my list. But Chocolat sounds good too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home