or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Am I the only one that doesn't smoke pot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I the only one that doesn't smoke pot? - Page 8

post #141 of 151
My post wasn't directed at you personally, I apologize if it came across that way. It was more that I was using your post as a jumping board for my own thoughts about I've observed are pretty typical assumptions of me.

Sorry for any confusion, I didn't mean to offend you
post #142 of 151
Quote:
Basically, those who chose to partake weren't much interested in hanging out with those who didn't. Their good time revolved around doing it together, so if you weren't doing pot, you weren't a part of that group.
As someone who doesn't, I think it's more the other way 'round. It's not that I don't want to be casual friends with people who smoke, or even good friends. It's not that I don't want it to be legal. I do.

It's that as long as it's illegal, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm not going to be anywhere near it and risk my kids, my life of travel, my livelihood. And since I don't feel it's appropriate to grill new friends on whether they keep a stash at home or grow or not, I don't end up spending much time with people who use illegal drugs, however casually.

I'll do it where it's legal.

I do not have a problem with their choice. I just don't choose to take that particular risk at this time. There are more important civil rights issues I'm willing to stand up for but this is not one of them.
post #143 of 151
No worries... My mistake...


and no offense taken....
post #144 of 151
No, I can see where it looks that way, thanks for understanding. Personally, the nature of this particular thread aside, I think most of us probably have way more in common than not... which is why we're all here after all.
post #145 of 151
Truth...
post #146 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairejour View Post
And if your child gets sick an hour after you lit up, you have to drive him to the hospital under the influence.

And that is why I wouldn't allow someone who uses it to be in charge of my child.
When I still smoked pot (almost entirely pre-kids, admittedly...think I smoked 3-4 times when ds1 was little), I also didn't drive. I didn't actually drive until ds1 was 12. So, if he'd hurt himself, I absolutely would not have "had' to drive him anywhere, even if I had been under the influence (of pot, booze, or anything else). I'd have had to call an ambulance.

To assert that someone who had smoked some pot would then "have" to drive their child somewhere in the case of an emergency is kind of over-the-top.
post #147 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
To assert that someone who had smoked some pot would then "have" to drive their child somewhere in the case of an emergency is kind of over-the-top.
I agree. I don't smoke currently, but I also don't drive in the dark. Lets just say we had to get one of the kids to the ER and DH had (like most nights) drank a couple beers. Even being completely sober myself, I wouldn't be likely to risk driving at night. We would find someone else to take us, or call an ambulance. So, I don't really get the OMG if someone partakes they can't get their kid to a hospital mentality. There are even nights where DH and I both have a couple drinks after dinner -- yeah, I suppose in an ideal world at least one parent would refrain in case of an emergency. I guess we don't live for the 'what-ifs'. If at 1 am something happened with the kids, we would still need to find a way to get them to the ER.
post #148 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I agree. I don't smoke currently, but I also don't drive in the dark. Lets just say we had to get one of the kids to the ER and DH had (like most nights) drank a couple beers. Even being completely sober myself, I wouldn't be likely to risk driving at night. We would find someone else to take us, or call an ambulance. So, I don't really get the OMG if someone partakes they can't get their kid to a hospital mentality. There are even nights where DH and I both have a couple drinks after dinner -- yeah, I suppose in an ideal world at least one parent would refrain in case of an emergency. I guess we don't live for the 'what-ifs'. If at 1 am something happened with the kids, we would still need to find a way to get them to the ER.

Me either... there are a ton of scenarios that don't involve any kind of intoxication. People could be on vacation in a completely unfamiliar area. People couple be without a car due to it being in the shop overnight (or car-free period) or like Drummer's Wife, unable to drive at night (my mom really shouldn't either), or incredibly sleep deprived where operating a car would be unwise... Are those scenarios irresponsible too?
post #149 of 151
I agree that if it's a question of driving... call an ambulance! My blood alcohol level is over at 1.5 glasses of wine, sometimes only one glass if it's particularly strong. I know this and I know that in an emergency, if it were to happen right after drinking my ONE GLASS, I would call an ambulance.

That said, I wouldn't consider drinking a glass while watching another person's small child, but that's different.
post #150 of 151
I have friends that smoke pot and I still do, but pretty rarely. We've had some pot in the house on occasion. DS is 5 and has no clue about marijuana. He knows about smoking, because he sees alot of people do it and knows that some of our friends do. I've told him about the risk of smoking and he was a receptive listener so when he's gotten too judgmental about it, I also told him that I used to smoke when I was younger and that everybody has to decide for themselves if and when they want to smoke and when they want to quit.

If he want to smoke cigarettes or pot, it won't be that big of a deal for me as long as he respects that we don't smoke anything inside the house and that it doesn't interfere with his life, his school, his work, his friendships. I'm not so much concerned with recreational alcohol, tobacco and MJ use. It's really a grey area for me, it's pretty relative imo.

We live in a society where MJ is smoked out in the open, it's borderline legal and it's very easy to buy. I'm sure he's smelled it outside, but he's never asked.

I would have no problem knowing that alot of the parents and families we know are potsmokers, the only thing that would bother me would be if they were doing it in front of really young children. If they were responsible users, I wouldn't talk about it with DS until after he found out, or when he would be old enough and mature enough to know things about people and keep judgment to himself.

DH and I enjoy drinking alcohol and DH has a full bar and fixes us a cocktail just about every night. DS sees this and we'll make him a virgin drink.
post #151 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by east carolina View Post
I have friends that smoke pot and I still do, but pretty rarely. We've had some pot in the house on occasion. DS is 5 and has no clue about marijuana. He knows about smoking, because he sees alot of people do it and knows that some of our friends do. I've told him about the risk of smoking and he was a receptive listener so when he's gotten too judgmental about it, I also told him that I used to smoke when I was younger and that everybody has to decide for themselves if and when they want to smoke and when they want to quit.

If he want to smoke cigarettes or pot, it won't be that big of a deal for me as long as he respects that we don't smoke anything inside the house and that it doesn't interfere with his life, his school, his work, his friendships. I'm not so much concerned with recreational alcohol, tobacco and MJ use. It's really a grey area for me, it's pretty relative imo.

We live in a society where MJ is smoked out in the open, it's borderline legal and it's very easy to buy. I'm sure he's smelled it outside, but he's never asked.

I would have no problem knowing that alot of the parents and families we know are potsmokers, the only thing that would bother me would be if they were doing it in front of really young children. If they were responsible users, I wouldn't talk about it with DS until after he found out, or when he would be old enough and mature enough to know things about people and keep judgment to himself.

DH and I enjoy drinking alcohol and DH has a full bar and fixes us a cocktail just about every night. DS sees this and we'll make him a virgin drink.
Where do you live? We gotta move there! MJ is very illegal here. There are more and more people pushing for it to become legal though. I hope we win...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Am I the only one that doesn't smoke pot?