DD1 is 3 years old now. I nursed her until she was 2.5 when my milk dried up at 4 months pregnant with DD2. DD2 is now almost 4 weeks old and we are suffering majorly.
I experienced pain in my nipples the whole 2.5 years of nursing DD1, but thought (for some insane reason) that there was nothing I could do about it, so after about 10 months of pain I stopped keeping track and just gritted my teeth and bore it.
Now, with DD2, I'm trying really hard to figure out what it is because having a baby, and a toddler, and having a nightly meltdown (me) because of painful nursing is just not cool!
The pain I am feeling starts in my nipples and feels like someone is pushing a red hot poker down into my breast through my nipple. It could also be described as squirting jalapeno juice down into my nipple. It is a very sharp, hot pain. Then, sometimes I feel this same kind of pain in other parts of my breasts - sharp and hot. These I would describe as feeling like I'm being cut with a red hot knife. These breast pains tend to get worse and worse in the afternoon and on into the evening and night - climaxing at the middle of the night feeding around 2 or 3am (hence the mommy breakdowns every night). I also notice them more when I am wearing baby and she is pressed up against my breast for long periods of time. (I wear baby a lot as DD1 is all over her every time I set her down!).
Other things I've noticed:
- the pain seems to be worse if I'm more stressed out
- heat seems to help the nipple pain but makes the breast pain worse/ more frequent
- cold seems to make the nipple pain worse
- the cracks (bleeding) on my nipples keep coming and going
- baby seems to be super fussy after every feeding (cries like she is in major pain)
- baby is very gassy, but also constipated
- we co-sleep
- I've tried nursing her in EVERY position
- she has a good latch (I can tell because occasionally she doesn't, and that's a very different sort of pain - like someone is slamming my nipple in the door!)
- baby hadn't pooped for several days, and last night I got her to poop by gently sticking a thermometer with olive oil into her bottom and moving it (very slowly and gently) from side to side for several minutes - the poop was very thick and sticky.
- we don't have any signs of thrush
For the last couple of weeks I've been thinking that it's Raynaud's, but I'm starting to suspect it might be systemic yeast because of the breast pain that is not associated with my nipples.
How do I know??? Who has experience with either of these - can you tell me what it feels like? How did you treat it?
Please help... feeling desperate... won't quit nursing, but so tired of being in so much pain... I want to love breastfeeding!