I looked at the free tutorial and I agree that it seems a little hard to follow. I'm pretty crafty, but it will require some work.
One question: the usual recommendation is to use LED lights rather than candles with these as the paper, if it caught on fire, would be a big hazard. In my house we LOVE natural things and incorporate a lot of fire (candles, fireplace, bonfire) during the winter months, but I can see that the combination of paper and fire is not a good one, especially with children involved.
Where would you get the right-sized LED lights? Are they thinking of Christmas lights? But those usually have far more bulbs than what would be needed here. Anybody have suggestions???