or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

petoskey area homebirth

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Petoskey, MI. We're not yet finished growing our family, though, and one important thing I need to know is if there are homebirth midwives in the area. Has anyone on here had (or heard of someone having) a midwife assisted birth in the area? I'm excited to see what our future options may be.
post #2 of 15

There are midwives in the Traverse City area that do homebirths all the way up to Mackinaw. I think that would be your best bet. The lack of midwives and doulas is pretty sad. But do check out TC, I have heard great things about the midwives there.... 

post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andee View Post

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Petoskey, MI. We're not yet finished growing our family, though, and one important thing I need to know is if there are homebirth midwives in the area. Has anyone on here had (or heard of someone having) a midwife assisted birth in the area? I'm excited to see what our future options may be.


Sending you a PM :)

post #4 of 15

Are there midwives or doulas available in the Petoskey area???

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemiteroses View Post

Are there midwives or doulas available in the Petoskey area???



 Sending you a PM

post #6 of 15

There are a few midwives in the Eastern UP, where I live. They are fantastic. One in particular Ide be willing to bet that travels to the LP because she goes all the way to Marquette, 3 hours from here, when needed. If you would like her contact info, PM me.

post #7 of 15

I lived in Petoskey for nine years, and a had a homebirth attended by a midwife from Traverse City. She is great! 

post #8 of 15

I have a wonderful midwife friend who lives just north of Mackinac, and often goes to Petoskey.

Her name is Tiffany Appell, just PM me if you want her contact info.

Great young mom, full of energy and wisdom!!

 

Warmly, Tricia

post #9 of 15

As my user name says, I'm the husband, but I would covet the contact information referred to. I will PM some people specifically. I am curious as to why such valuable information would not be posted freely for all to enjoy without bothering you.

post #10 of 15

Hi, I live in Boyne City, and am having a homebirth with a midwife who lives in Rapid City. Her name is Robin Lavis, her business name is Blessings of the Womb, & her office # is 231-264-9144. The midwife in Traverse City is Kathi Mulder, and I don't have her contact info on hand, but she does service Boyne City, & I imagine Petoskey, although when I met with her she said she was hoping to limit her travel distance soon. She is much busier than Robin Lavis, but they have both been practicing since the early 90's. I met with both of them, and liked them immensely. Robin is a self-described Christian midwife, which makes it odd for me that we chose her (not that I have anything against Christians at all, just have a much wider spiritual philosophy that sometimes conflicts with dogmatic Christianity). She is a little older, more into herbs during pregnancy & birth, & has her business out of a little cottage on her property. Kathi has recently moved to an office space in Traverse City. I highly recommend meeting with both of them - they do free consultations. I'm not familiar with the midwives in the U.P. Good luck!

post #11 of 15

I did see Robin's information, and since you recommend her, I will definitely encourage my wife to call her. We are Christians, and my wife would probably feel comfortable with her as a result. One of my previous children by a previous wife was delivered by Kathy Mulder, and I can confirm that she is excellent, both on a personal and professional level. However, she is a long way away. Thanks for the information.

post #12 of 15

Does anyone have either Robin or Kathi's email addresses? I am trying to find information on renting a birthing tub....

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemiteroses View Post

Does anyone have either Robin or Kathi's email addresses? I am trying to find information on renting a birthing tub....



 Robin :blessingsofthewomb at charter.net

 Kathi: kathi at tcmidwife.com

 

Hope this helps!

post #14 of 15

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if there are any birth centers in the Traverse City area?  We wanted a homebirth, but our insurance only covers CNMs so I thought a birth center would be a nice option.  

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if there are any birth centers in the Traverse City area?  We wanted a homebirth, but our insurance only covers CNMs so I thought a birth center would be a nice option.  



  There are not any birth centers up here, Munson (the Traverse City hospital) does have CNMs though.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Indiana, Ohio, Michigan