or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › MDC's software transition information
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MDC's software transition information - Page 22  

post #421 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post


Quote:


Huh. What computer/browser are you using? Windows, Mac, IE, Firefox, etc?? I can try with my test account vs my mod account. smile.gif



I am using Windows Ex 8.0.

post #422 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post



 

I've tried to do this already multiple times, and the change image window pops up and it freezes my computer.  I just also tried to respond to this and it froze up my computer.  My laptop is really hating these changes.  Not sure, the avatar is a small issue, but the freezing issue is making me not want to come on here.  Sorry greensad.gif sad but true.
 



 Give me the link for an image you would like to use and I can change your avatar.

post #423 of 686

Hey, I asked earlier but I think it may have gotten lost in the huge thread...is there any way to make the individual posts smaller? In this new design, every post takes up about half my computer screen, and I'm constantly scrolling. The boxes are enormous. Is there any way to fix that? In the old design, I could read five or six posts before having to scroll down again. My computer is already set at the finest resolution.

Also, is there any way to restore the right-click spell correction?

I can't wait for the skins to be available again.

post #424 of 686

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

One more thing I am concerned about.  The idea that this site is adding cookies and looking up my IP address for it's adds.  Even if I was not a supporting member and did have adds, I DON'T WANT "PERSONALIZE" adds.  I don't want this site to "know" where I live and don't live.  I am specifically vague about my RL origins most times due to internet security issues.  And though I know people can be found if they are wanted to be found, I don't plan to make it easy for anyone looking.

 

I want an Opt-Out or the "Personalization" turned off.  (Not to mention the whole "add free" thing.)

 

Thanks.


 

I can attest to the fact that they have been using Google ads for a while and I have been seeing personalized ads before the change over. If you are that concerned about it, clear your cookies regularly, because those things are EVERYWHERE. The nature of the internet is that websites you visit see your IP address. Sorry about that but the internet is about as private as a public toilet with no door. You can put your jacket on your lap and wash your hands thoroughly but it is still a very very public medium. I guess ads just don't bother me, because I accept that this is how websites pay their bills. A forum like this is costly to maintain. Subscribing is a great way to improve your experience on the website if ads bother you, and if you pay then of course you don't want to see advertisements.But I personally think the reviews option is a great tool. They aren't "ads" because no money has exchanged hands. MDC isn't getting any kickbacks for these wikis. How many times have I seen threads asking for info on this or that product. New moms start a gazillion threads "what are the bare essentials I need for my new baby?". I will be happy to see new content move those reviews to a less prominent place on the site, but they aren't ads. And I think they will be very useful.

post #425 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post

Hey, I asked earlier but I think it may have gotten lost in the huge thread...is there any way to make the individual posts smaller? In this new design, every post takes up about half my computer screen, and I'm constantly scrolling. The boxes are enormous. Is there any way to fix that? In the old design, I could read five or six posts before having to scroll down again. My computer is already set at the finest resolution.

Also, is there any way to restore the right-click spell correction?

I can't wait for the skins to be available again.



It seems to help a bit to change to "View Forums Full Width" but the posts are still pretty big. You can do that by going to "My profile" and then "Edit Account Details"

post #426 of 686

Kidzaplenty ~ This is fullofgrace. I'm on a Windows 7 laptop using Internet Explorer 9 (beta) and I can see the 'edit signature link' text. However, I can't upload an image in this browser where I could in Firefox (It just hangs, so I'm adding that to the list). I'll attach the pic in another post so you can see what it looked like for me in IE. smile.gif

 

Oh also ~ Have you updated your browser or deleted its history, cache, and cookies recently? Sometimes a browser needs a good cleaning, especially when things change. If you've done that already, you can ignore that.

post #427 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

Quote:


 

I can attest to the fact that they have been using Google ads for a while and I have been seeing personalized ads before the change over. If you are that concerned about it, clear your cookies regularly, because those things are EVERYWHERE. The nature of the internet is that websites you visit see your IP address. Sorry about that but the internet is about as private as a public toilet with no door. You can put your jacket on your lap and wash your hands thoroughly but it is still a very very public medium. I guess ads just don't bother me, because I accept that this is how websites pay their bills. A forum like this is costly to maintain. Subscribing is a great way to improve your experience on the website if ads bother you, and if you pay then of course you don't want to see advertisements.But I personally think the reviews option is a great tool. They aren't "ads" because no money has exchanged hands. MDC isn't getting any kickbacks for these wikis. How many times have I seen threads asking for info on this or that product. New moms start a gazillion threads "what are the bare essentials I need for my new baby?". I will be happy to see new content move those reviews to a less prominent place on the site, but they aren't ads. And I think they will be very useful.

Thanks nerdymom!!

 

Also as people create wikis then those will also appear to the side. Members can create and edit wikis. smile.gif

 

post #428 of 686

Ok! Back! smile.gif Kidz, here's what I saw in my test account in IE --

 

mdclyrasig.JPG

post #429 of 686

I just want to add. I love the reviews area on the right. While I don't like ads, I understand the need for them so those never bugged me much anyways. The reviews I see as something different.  I look at it and think of it in terms of this... we have a lot of MDC small business owners who may sell products that may end up getting reviewed, so it may be a positive to the members here too and a way to support fellow moms in a round-a-bout way. Also the reviews are on products that are more relevant to MDC members vs ones you may see on a mainstream website, I think that's pretty cool. I may not be looking for an item at that time but seeing it may trigger "Oh yeah, I wanted to look that up." or remember it for later. Or the fact I may have used it and see it there and think "Yeah, I'd love to add to that review!", something that I probably wouldn't have thought about until I saw it there.  Of course, this is all coming from someone who doesn't even fit into the category that most of the products displayed are aimed at. My "baby" is nearly 8 years old and certainly not in need of diapers or baby toys. lol.

 

My chief complaint is with how things are categorized in the review system for review. But I think since they are added by members that it will just be a process of getting the review format consistent. (Like not having every color of a product have a separate review, they can definitely be under one product and colors can be included in the review itself and not the product being reviewed, makes usability easier for people looking at reviews)

 

I'm not against offering different levels of supporting membership though so people can opt-out.  Most sites don't offer any opt-out options so I think we are pretty lucky that MDC does have that. Thank you!

 

Thank you MDC administrators and moderators for your hard work on this switch over!  I know its hard to predict all the issues that may arise because many of them wont show up until its in full use like it is now. Especially with all the different computer systems and browser combinations in use!

 

I don't think there is too much white, but understand others may not like the color scheme. (I love it!) Another thank you to my fellow members who are understanding that things like skins take time to implement, and thank you MDC admins for taking the suggestions on what color schemes work best for some individuals into consideration when moving forward with those. I'm sure they'll be great when they are done and ready for use. smile.gif

post #430 of 686

Most of the things that bothered me are either things that will be fixed shortly or were ust a question of getting used to.  I think the change is pretty positive.  I like the colour scheme, I don't like the reviews on the bar.  The actual ads are pretty unobtrusive (but then again, I have not seen any oscar mayer!  lol.gif  I don't like video ads, but still pictures or text don't bother me).  It does seem that posts without quotes in them have a lot more blank space than they need, it would be nice to see that reduced. 

post #431 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post

I just want to add. I love the reviews area on the right. While I don't like ads, I understand the need for them so those never bugged me much anyways. The reviews I see as something different.  I look at it and think of it in terms of this... we have a lot of MDC small business owners who may sell products that may end up getting reviewed, so it may be a positive to the members here too and a way to support fellow moms in a round-a-bout way. Also the reviews are on products that are more relevant to MDC members vs ones you may see on a mainstream website, I think that's pretty cool. I may not be looking for an item at that time but seeing it may trigger "Oh yeah, I wanted to look that up." or remember it for later. Or the fact I may have used it and see it there and think "Yeah, I'd love to add to that review!", something that I probably wouldn't have thought about until I saw it there.  Of course, this is all coming from someone who doesn't even fit into the category that most of the products displayed are aimed at. My "baby" is nearly 8 years old and certainly not in need of diapers or baby toys. lol.

 

My chief complaint is with how things are categorized in the review system for review. But I think since they are added by members that it will just be a process of getting the review format consistent. (Like not having every color of a product have a separate review, they can definitely be under one product and colors can be included in the review itself and not the product being reviewed, makes usability easier for people looking at reviews)

 

I'm not against offering different levels of supporting membership though so people can opt-out.  Most sites don't offer any opt-out options so I think we are pretty lucky that MDC does have that. Thank you!

 

Thank you MDC administrators and moderators for your hard work on this switch over!  I know its hard to predict all the issues that may arise because many of them wont show up until its in full use like it is now. Especially with all the different computer systems and browser combinations in use!

 

I don't think there is too much white, but understand others may not like the color scheme. (I love it!) Another thank you to my fellow members who are understanding that things like skins take time to implement, and thank you MDC admins for taking the suggestions on what color schemes work best for some individuals into consideration when moving forward with those. I'm sure they'll be great when they are done and ready for use. smile.gif



What are your concerns with the organization for the reviews?  I found those in your thread. smile.gif

 

I am interested in your concerns there because that is something we can control a bit and look at. There is content there that is not just related to babies and if people want more there we can add it. I did want an electronics section for all our technophiles. If there is a product someone wants to review they can add it. It is really very member controlled.

post #432 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post





 Give me the link for an image you would like to use and I can change your avatar.

I'd like the co-sleeping feet that is one of the default choices.  I'm not sure why I can't get this to work.  Thank you very much I know you ladies are having a rough go of it smile.gif
 

post #433 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View PostI did want an electronics section for all our technophiles. If there is a product someone wants to review they can add it. It is really very member controlled.


Now that would rock. I'm a total technology geek, lol.

post #434 of 686

I don't have time to search through all the posts on here to see if my question has been answered. Sorry if this is redundant. I am having 2 problems.

 

First, once I edit something I have quoted I can't type below the quote. The cursor will not show up underneath the quote box. Other members can do it so I don't know why I can't. Any ideas?

 

Second, I can't figure out how to scroll through the smiley pop up. The smiley don't appear to be in any type of groupings or categories anymore. How can I view all the smileys?

 

post #435 of 686

It's really confusing seeing multiple people with the same avatars!

 

Couple Bunch of things that are annoying me at the moment:

  • The multi-quote process is HORRIBLE.  I think I understand how to do it now, but if I'm reading a really long thread I usually hit multiquote along the way. When I get to the end of the thread, and I haven't quoted on that page- I have to go all the way back and find the last one I multi-quoted??  Is that right?  Also, the fact that I can't UN-multiquote a post is annoying.
  • When I click on a thread in my subscriptions, the page sometimes jumps around a lot before it actually lands in the right spot.  Sometimes it doesn't- it just stops in the middle of the page, like halfway through a post.
  • When I first logged on to the new platform, I thought it was faster.  Since then, it seems really sloooooow to me.
  • In the My Subscriptions page (which is the main page I ever use), there is no ForumNav bar, which means 1) I can't quickly jump to another forum, and 2) there is NO "all new posts" link anywhere on the page!!!  I have to actually click on a thread, and then find the new posts link at the top of the page.  It would nice to have that in a fixed location, like "Subscriptions" is at the top right corner of the page.  (and then I wouldn't care as much about having the nav bar in my subscriptions page.)
  • I will just repeat the already stated annoyance at the bright white background, as well as the fact that each post is GIGANTIC (which seems to be because the avatars are so frickin big.)
  • I don't mind the reviews, because honestly I never look at anything on the side of the page.
  • I don't love having to click a dropdown to pick a smilie.  Will there ever be a format like the last setup where the frequently used smilies are right there on the page?
  • ummm.... I know I have more than that, but I can't remember them at the moment.  :P 
post #436 of 686

Where can I go to buy a supporting membership? I couldn't find a link anywhere.

post #437 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I don't have time to search through all the posts on here to see if my question has been answered. Sorry if this is redundant. I am having 2 problems.

 

First, once I edit something I have quoted I can't type below the quote. The cursor will not show up underneath the quote box. Other members can do it so I don't know why I can't. Any ideas?

 

Second, I can't figure out how to scroll through the smiley pop up. The smiley don't appear to be in any type of groupings or categories anymore. How can I view all the smileys?

 


I asked about the issue with typing below things. I noticed the same thing when I posted an image.

 

The smilies should be fully operational Monday. If you know the code they should work but the pop up isn't working fully yet.

post #438 of 686



 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren82 

 

Where can I go to buy a supporting membership? I couldn't find a link anywhere.



That isn't up yet but they will get it up soon.

post #439 of 686

Thanks. So it wasn't me. Good to know. I hadn't tried any codes yet because I was told they weren't working. I know some.

 

As you can see, I'm still typing above the quote. I didn't even edit it this time but the cursor will not go below the box. It will go inside the box.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post




I asked about the issue with typing below things. I noticed the same thing when I posted an image.

 

The smilies should be fully operational Monday. If you know the code they should work but the pop up isn't working fully yet.

post #440 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Thanks. So it wasn't me. Good to know. I hadn't tried any codes yet because I was told they weren't working. I know some.

 

As you can see, I'm still typing above the quote. I didn't even edit it this time but the cursor will not go below the box. It will go inside the box.
 


What OS/Browser are you using?

 

They might ask so I wanted to check. smile.gif
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
This thread is locked  
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › MDC's software transition information