or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › MDC's software transition information
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MDC's software transition information - Page 30  

post #581 of 686
Quote:

Originally Posted by JElaineB 

 


Quote:



I understand the business aspect. I never saw any inappropriate ads on the old forum. I don't care to have to report ads or use software to block them, however.  


To be fair we did have some bad ads. We filtered so many that we filled up our filter box and google had to get us a new one. lol.gif
 

post #582 of 686

I have to agree with PPs.  The reason I am involved in this discussion is because I have been an active member, not because I just want to threaten to leave.

 

I don't like ads.  At all.  Period.  I don't watch commercials on TV, I don't watch the ads in front of videos OL, or any other place.  I mute the sound and block the view until it is gone.  They just really bother me, no matter what they are are, how "tasteful" they are done, or who they are for.

 

THAT is why I PAY for a membership in places I visit often.  I have always enjoyed MDC and not having to scroll past ads.  I get the whole "having to make money" thing, this is a business after all.  But again, that is why I PAY for membership.  So that I don't have to look at the ads.  And having the "ads" changed into "Recent Reviews" and slipped in, right up top, in my line of sight, just so I HAVE to see them does feel like a bait-and-switch (a play on words, as I tell my children).  Because they are the same thing, just a bit different.  And I have no interest in looking at an advertisement for "stuff", even if it is just a reccomendation from another MDC user.

 

 

I really like MDC and the whole "feel" of the community, over all; that is, until I have to start seeing ads running down my page.  I don't like that at all.  And it will drive me away from here, in the long run.  Not to mention that I really will pull my supporting membership because of it.  That is not a "threat" either, it is just a fact.  I support MDC  because I can PAY for ad free.  That is the only reason I pay at all, the other "benefits" are just there, some used, others not.  But, if the one thing I pay for is no longer included in the fee, I will not pay.  It is as simple as that.

 

All the other issues with the New MDC I could get used to (well, except for the "Back Button" issue, which I hope will get fixed).  But ads and "Reviews" of products will push me away.  And that will be sad, because I do like it here so much.

post #583 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

Like many other things the ads will need a period of adjustment. We will NOT be hosting formula ads. If you see one please do pm georgia or myself, or if you are having pm issues post a thread in here with the link to the ad, a screenshot would also help but is not totally necessary.


 

I tried to PM you with more information about the Enfamil ad in the Lactivism forum, but I don't think it went through correctly.  Forgive me for the repeat information if it did.

 

All four Enfamil ads took me to http://www.save.ca/enfamil/coupons when I clicked on them.

 

 

Screencap of three of the four ads.  There was another banner ad identical to the top one at the very bottom of the page:

 

Enfamil ad.JPG

post #584 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post


Quote:



I understand the business aspect. I never saw any inappropriate ads on the old forum. I don't care to have to report ads or use software to block them, however.  

You didn't see inappropriate ads because other members were diligent about reporting them, and each forum has designated moderators who spend significant time keeping spam and whatnot off the boards. I would wager that within a month, 99% of inappropriate ads will have been eliminated and diligent members and mods will be on top of the other 1%. Other companies originate the ads based on what we write about. So yeah, sometimes we get inappropriate adoption seeking, breast implant, cosmetic surgery, etc ads. But members or mods see them, they get reported, and then they get blocked at the software level. It is really not a big deal.
post #585 of 686


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana View Post




 

I tried to PM you with more information about the Enfamil ad in the Lactivism forum, but I don't think it went through correctly.  Forgive me for the repeat information if it did.

 

All four Enfamil ads took me to http://www.save.ca/enfamil/coupons when I clicked on them.

 

 

Screencap of three of the four ads.  There was another banner ad identical to the top one at the very bottom of the page:

 

Enfamil ad.JPG


That probably explains how they slipped through-they are coming from a third party sight, not a formula company. 

post #586 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post




You can change font size in your browser.  I only know the shortcuts- in Firefox, you can hold the control key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to make it bigger and smaller.  Or control + shift + "+" or "-".

Yeah, but in my case then the page is too big for my screen. 

 

ETA So the reviews and what users want are staying I'm guessing? I am another person who was on here all the time for almost 3 years and now I can't even hardly come on here due to the color, font size and the fact that the reviews/etc take up the whole page.  I used to love this site now I'm wondering if I should wait or just go somewhere else.
 

post #587 of 686

Wow. I hope the enfamil ads go away ASAP. I have no ads on mine right now...but it just sickens me to see them on here of all places.

post #588 of 686

Since this post is already SO large, perhaps remind ourselves that this is a facts/questions thread and not a discussion thread.

 

It is hard enough to find/post answers about functionality .... without viewing the arguments about the pros/cons on consumerism on the internet.  The admins & mods are well aware that people don't like ads. Enough said. I don't think long vents and threats about leaving are particularly helpful to the cause!!

 

It would be nice to keep *this* thread for Q&A about functionality.  Perhaps there is another thread that can be started to vent about things like ads.

 

post #589 of 686

I'm actually glad to see he number of voices raised about the ad issues.  I am a longtime poster as you can see from my post count.  I was bothered, but not overly so, by ads in the prior incarnation of MDC.  The offensive ads seemed to be dealt with very effectively.  This new format feels quite different, and I am truly bothered by the commercialism.  I can certainly choose to pay, should that mean I don' have to look at the ads.  But that seems unclear to me from this discussion.  

 

I am glad I'm not a new member.  I'd be put off by the way this is currently working.  I like to hold onto the spirit of the way MDC felt w/out all of the unneccesary stuff.  Maybe I just don't like change to something that's felt so vital to me. 

post #590 of 686

One thing that the Admins might want to look into, is whether it is required that all 4 ads per page be the same ad.

 

I don't know if it would have more or less impact as far as how people tolerate or hate the ads for the ads to be different. On the old MDC my sidebar ad was always different than my banner ad, not that I usually noticed either ad. I did occasionally get Nestle product ads though, and didn't always remember to report them.

 

Also, on the old MDC ads were on the left, and that didn't seem to bother people as much as these right side bar ads do. Sometimes there is weird psychology of ad placement at play.

post #591 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post

One thing that the Admins might want to look into, is whether it is required that all 4 ads per page be the same ad.

 

I don't know if it would have more or less impact as far as how people tolerate or hate the ads for the ads to be different. On the old MDC my sidebar ad was always different than my banner ad, not that I usually noticed either ad. I did occasionally get Nestle product ads though, and didn't always remember to report them.

 

Also, on the old MDC ads were on the left, and that didn't seem to bother people as much as these right side bar ads do. Sometimes there is weird psychology of ad placement at play.


We aren't going to have ads on the left anymore. People are used to them being on the left but they are now going to be on the right. You are right, they are not used to seeing them there and that might be a bit of why it is jarring, it is a big visual change. Since we read from left to right it should be visually more appealing that the ads are not before the text, but after. It is less disruptive that way. I have been looking at these pages quite a lot and I am finding that I notice the ads a lot less this way than before. it might just take a bit to adjust. I think I do like them better on the right.

 

I don't think that all four ads are required to be the same but those do sometimes match up. They are not always the same on mine. The ads are not going to be precisely like what is in place now there are plans to make that more applicable to Mothering's ideals.

 

We aren't hosting Nestle ads, if those could be reported that would be awesome. smile.gif

post #592 of 686
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I really wish they were moved to the bottom of the screen, at least, but it sounds like they are staying put, and will soon take up the entire right hand-side of every post as more content is added over time. 

 


Oh, I hope that doesn't happen - that would be really annoying!  But they do already seem to be taking up more space than they were a couple of days ago.  I wonder if paying members could be given the opportunity to opt out of seeing that stuff on the right.  I might actually consider paying for that.  (It isn't worth it to me to pay for no ads, because I can just use Adblock for free.  It's odd that so many people seem not be using Adblock.)  Or I wonder if people could somehow be given the chance to customize what appears on the right.  If I have to see reviews, maybe they could at least be reviews for something I might actually buy.  (Though maybe that would just be more of a distraction.)

post #593 of 686

Jessica S

Can you clarify what you mean by stickies are lost?  I thought you said earlier that the forums can have 1 sticky per forum.

Also, I'd be thrilled if the ads, review, etc are just all on the right, (even if there is also one on the top and bottom like before).  I tend to be able to filter the ads out pretty well- and really have been easily able to filter the ads out on the forum here as I'm scrolling thru.  But I haven't been looking around that much, to be honest, so I'm not sure how it is all working.

I have a feeling I'm not going to get into wiki's review, etc for a long time, too busy, so if it is all on one side, I can just ignore it till I am not so overwhelmed/busy

Jessica

post #594 of 686
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessjgh1 

 

Jessica S

Can you clarify what you mean by stickies are lost?  I thought you said earlier that the forums can have 1 sticky per forum.

Also, I'd be thrilled if the ads, review, etc are just all on the right, (even if there is also one on the top and bottom like before).  I tend to be able to filter the ads out pretty well- and really have been easily able to filter the ads out on the forum here as I'm scrolling thru.  But I haven't been looking around that much, to be honest, so I'm not sure how it is all working.

I have a feeling I'm not going to get into wiki's review, etc for a long time, too busy, so if it is all on one side, I can just ignore it till I am not so overwhelmed/busy

Jessica



Those are not stickies, they are "notes" so they won't work just like a sticky. We can place links to important threads in them but we cannot "stick" a thread.

post #595 of 686

osx, firefox.

post #596 of 686

I'd like to second the issue of the back button taking you back to the top of the page all the time. *Really* annoying.

 

Also, I am still getting exactly 200 new posts everytime I use the new post function. Could someone tell me what that is about please.

post #597 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post




You can change font size in your browser.  I only know the shortcuts- in Firefox, you can hold the control key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to make it bigger and smaller.  Or control + shift + "+" or "-".

Yeah, but in my case then the page is too big for my screen. 

 

ETA So the reviews and what users want are staying I'm guessing? I am another person who was on here all the time for almost 3 years and now I can't even hardly come on here due to the color, font size and the fact that the reviews/etc take up the whole page.  I used to love this site now I'm wondering if I should wait or just go somewhere else.
 


I don't know what browswer/OS you are using but in FF on a Mac you can zoom text only, and not the whole page...

post #598 of 686
Thank you for sharing how to increase the size of the text in Firefox for Macs!!!!! thumb.gif

Now, my next serious issue is the color and difficulty in reading the new site. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the background color and contrast? I searched all over "my profile" and at the top and bottom of each page.... I did not read through this entire thread. Thirty pages is beyond my time constraints.

Lastly, when is a mobile version coming??? I have an iPhone (first generation with no plans to update any time soon) and MDC is not iPhone friendly at all.

Thank you!
post #599 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Now, my next serious issue is the color and difficulty in reading the new site. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the background color and contrast? I searched all over "my profile" and at the top and bottom of each page.... I did not read through this entire thread. Thirty pages is beyond my time constraints.
 


They're working on new skins. It isn't available yet, so you can't adjust the background color or contrast.
 

post #600 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

Thank you for sharing how to increase the size of the text in Firefox for Macs!!!!! thumb.gif

Now, my next serious issue is the color and difficulty in reading the new site. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the background color and contrast? I searched all over "my profile" and at the top and bottom of each page.... I did not read through this entire thread. Thirty pages is beyond my time constraints.

Lastly, when is a mobile version coming??? I have an iPhone (first generation with no plans to update any time soon) and MDC is not iPhone friendly at all.

Thank you!


Well, the best I can give you there is black on white with cmd+opt+ctrl+8.... It is drastic but easy...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
This thread is locked  
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › MDC's software transition information