or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Law School/Lawyer mamas???? Make me feel better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Law School/Lawyer mamas???? Make me feel better - Page 2

post #21 of 40
Thread Starter 

The odd ball topics?  Try all of them.  The essay portions can be on any of 23 doctrines.  Which I'm never going to know all of.  The MBE of course tests Crim law, Crim pro, Real Property, Torts, Constitutional Law and Contracts - so I'm going to learn those as best as possible so I can kill the MBE.  Then the only 2 topics that are nearly guaranteed to be on the essay is Family Law and Will's.  I hate Will's with a passion and don't understand it, so I'm going to give it my best shot and hope its enough.  I should be able to learn enough Family law, and then I'm going to study everything else in the bar review course and cross my fingers.

 

Ugh.  Ok, bed time.  Talk soon!!

post #22 of 40

not studying for the bar just yet but i am in law school. 

post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

The odd ball topics?  Try all of them.  The essay portions can be on any of 23 doctrines.  Which I'm never going to know all of.  The MBE of course tests Crim law, Crim pro, Real Property, Torts, Constitutional Law and Contracts - so I'm going to learn those as best as possible so I can kill the MBE.  Then the only 2 topics that are nearly guaranteed to be on the essay is Family Law and Will's.  I hate Will's with a passion and don't understand it, so I'm going to give it my best shot and hope its enough.  I should be able to learn enough Family law, and then I'm going to study everything else in the bar review course and cross my fingers.

 

Ugh.  Ok, bed time.  Talk soon!!


Yes, same here about Wills & Fam Law... I've heard that in IL there have been years with TWO Wills questions. bigeyes.gif I've made flashcards for it because it's SO not my type of area. Also concerned about Corporations, which I avoided in law school but now have to face head-on. But, yeah, I'm definitely also going to really focus on the MBE areas because I know there'll be not only the MBE but essay questions as well... If I have the rules down pat, I should be ok. Speaking of, going to do a practice torts essay right now...

 

And welcome to our pity party Kauhoku! What year are you in?

 

post #24 of 40

i've takem 2 bar wxams from 2 different jurisdictions and it's not as bad as they say it is -- passed both on the first try

post #25 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alevagon View Post

i've takem 2 bar wxams from 2 different jurisdictions and it's not as bad as they say it is -- passed both on the first try


Which ones did you take?

post #26 of 40

Someone please whip me into shape! I am so loosing steam with bar review... (I have been on MDC WAY too much today...)

post #27 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

Someone please whip me into shape! I am so loosing steam with bar review... (I have been on MDC WAY too much today...)



OMG me too!!!!!  Bar review SUCKS.

 

Have you done a full on practice MBE yet?  I did one saturday, a full 200 questions with a break in the middle.  It kicked my a$$ and now I'm scared.  Keep going!  You can do it!!!

post #28 of 40

Yes! Did one yesterday... I'm blaming that for my lack of focus today... It also kicked my butt! Not only did I not do really well (OK, but not within my comfort zone yet) but I was really losing my concentration by the end -- I know adrenaline will kick in on test day, but still!

 

But you know your score will just go up if you keep studying so don't be too scared (just scared enough! hah!).

 

OK! Putting DS to bed & then more review!

post #29 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

Yes! Did one yesterday... I'm blaming that for my lack of focus today... It also kicked my butt! Not only did I not do really well (OK, but not within my comfort zone yet) but I was really losing my concentration by the end -- I know adrenaline will kick in on test day, but still!

 

But you know your score will just go up if you keep studying so don't be too scared (just scared enough! hah!).

 

OK! Putting DS to bed & then more review!


Well, also keep in mind that if you did a practice test yesterday, you're probably still pretty fried from it today.  You don't want to over-do it either (there is a point when you stop learning if you push yourself too hard).

post #30 of 40

Good luck to the both of you!

post #31 of 40
Thread Starter 

thanks :)

 

t2009 - how are you doing?  My mom is here now, so she's taking care of my house and my ds - its SO nice to be able to leave the house without packing up ds too!

 

I'm getting near the end of my bar review course, and just trying to outline and memorize e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g - its getting old.

post #32 of 40

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone taking the February bar!  I'm looking at taking another one in July because I don't have enough years of practice to waive in to the state where we're moving.  Grrr... But no worries, I don't plan to see any of you on that thread.  You'll do great!

post #33 of 40

Thanks for the good wishes!

 

Super-Single-Mama, glad you have extra hands! My MIL is coming next week & staying through till I get back. How does your two bars work? I suppose that means you'll have three days of testing? Well, hopefully the NY & NJ distinctions aren't too much...?

 

I am on my last lecture today & then review review review... and try to squeeze in more practice questions... especially on evidence & property (which I'm awful at). It's really funny what stuff sticks & what stuff doesn't... I was feeling so sharp at the beginning so the first topics are golden, but my brain is seriously has been at its saturation point for the last couple of weeks & some of it is still sounding like a foreign language (corporations!).

 

OK, good luck with the final push!

post #34 of 40
Thread Starter 

Yeah, its 3 days of testing.  NY essays on the 22nd, MBE on the 23rd, and NJ essays on the 24th.  Ugh.  From what I've heard about taking NY/NJ at the same time, you can use NY law on the essay's, and then answer based on the NY law.  I guess most of the points on the NJ essays are from the application section.  Oh well, hopefully I pass :)

 

Good luck!!

post #35 of 40

I didn't even study for New Jersey.  I took the NY exam in July and then my employer wanted me to get in admitted in New Jersey, and I took that exam in February.  NY bar was fairly fresh in my mind.  The essay portions (at least when I took it) were totally based on common and NY law, so it was fairly easy (not easy in terms of nerves - I hate taking tests) and I actually did better on New Jersey than I did on NY.  The big advantage of taking them simultaneously is only having to take one MBE.  I had to take it twice in that I took the later exam in NJ. It is over and far in the past.  You'll do fine!

post #36 of 40

Good luck Super-Single-Mama! You will be great! It's clear you've been working your butt off, so I'm confident you'll pass both bars!

 

I am REALLY going to try to go into internet hibernation (including no MDC, no blogs, etc) up to the exam. Tomorrow I'm spending the day with my son but after that MIL will be here & I'll be cramming/reviewing (and trying to catch up on sleep...).

 

Yay! The end is in sight!

 

post #37 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

Good luck Super-Single-Mama! You will be great! It's clear you've been working your butt off, so I'm confident you'll pass both bars!

 

I am REALLY going to try to go into internet hibernation (including no MDC, no blogs, etc) up to the exam. Tomorrow I'm spending the day with my son but after that MIL will be here & I'll be cramming/reviewing (and trying to catch up on sleep...).

 

Yay! The end is in sight!

 


Thanks!!

Good luck to you too!!!  You'll do great.  I've also been trying to go into internet hibernation, but its my only "mental break" so to speak.

 

Anyway, Good luck, you'll do GREAT - and I'll talk to you on the other side!!

post #38 of 40

Congrats! You made it Super Single Mama! I was thinking about you yesterday & really feeling for you that you had that extra day of testing. It's over. Phew. 

 

I in no way feel confident about it. But I'm hoping that I'm overthinking things & will be able to not worry about it constantly from now until april. We'll see.

 

Any plans for celebrating? I'm going out with a couple of already-licensed friends tomorrow but otherwise just enjoying being a normal person for the first time in a long time. 

post #39 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

Congrats! You made it Super Single Mama! I was thinking about you yesterday & really feeling for you that you had that extra day of testing. It's over. Phew. 

 

I in no way feel confident about it. But I'm hoping that I'm overthinking things & will be able to not worry about it constantly from now until april. We'll see.

 

Any plans for celebrating? I'm going out with a couple of already-licensed friends tomorrow but otherwise just enjoying being a normal person for the first time in a long time. 

 

Thanks!!  Congrats to you too!!

 

Yeah, the MBE kicked my butt.  The NY essay day felt pretty good, but the NJ essays really threw me, and I was practically falling asleep during the last one!  LOL!  Hopefully I did well enough on the MBE to pass NJ, and hopefully I pass NY too.

 

Anyway, my fingers will be crossed for both of us!! I find out in May, what about you?
 

post #40 of 40

We find out in April. By tax day!

 

Yeah. I wasn't falling asleep during the MBE but during the afternoon portion my mind really started to wander & I had to reign it in. There was that question about admitting evidence of a murder conviction where the murder involved impersonating a utility worker & I immediately thought "Oh my god, I've made that mistake! I've let a utility worker walk through my house. If that ever happens again I'll be sure to look for a van... No I'll walk the person to the outside basement entry..." Etc. and then "Darn it! Concentrate on the question!!! Come on ... two more hours." Yeah... that happened a couple of times... Also, being the sucker I am, the questions about kids & pregnant women always trip me up as well...

 

On the IL essays, there was one on a subject Barbri doesn't even teach... It hasn't been tested in 10+ years so they just have you skim the outline (which of course I did in like 5 minutes) & there's no lecture or practice questions. And then there it was, the second question of the morning & I was like "You have got to be kidding me!" It was on specific rules too. Ugh. But the rest of the essay questions were pretty much what I expected.

 

So now I'm debating whether or not I feel confident enough to send back my books to get my book deposit back. Of course I have to send the books back before we get our results. I feel like I studied really hard & so I must have passed, but I just didn't feel at all confident.

 

OK. Back to catching up on housework that I've been putting off for months & months & months...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Working and Student Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Law School/Lawyer mamas???? Make me feel better