Ethelpea--What essential oils do you mix with the coconut oil? I'd love to try this as baking soda gives a rash and arrowroot/cornstarch don't help control odors. Thanks!!
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for some recommendations for a few hygiene products... Last post on 7/8/12 at 2:30pm in Natural Body Care
- Body Odor/Deodorant Last post on 8/12/13 at 6:37am in Fitness and Weight Management
- Tom's of Maine deodorant?! Last post on 3/17/10 at 9:12am in Natural Body Care
- Have you ever sneezed or coughed and farted simultaneously? Last post on 11/25/13 at 1:11pm in I'm Pregnant
- What's hot in menstrual cups these days? Last post on 11/17/13 at 8:12pm in Natural Body Care
Is there a non-toxic deodorant that actually *works*? - Page 3
This doesn't work for me, and I haven't shaved in over a decade. And it sure doesnt work that way for most guys, and none of them shave!
I'm okay if I am at home for recreating, but when I am at work I need deodorant. I don't mind my natural scent, but the people at work are sure not going to appreciate it in a professional setting. I've noticed that if I am stressed out about something that I start to stink more, so if I am having a stressful day at work I need something effective.
The best deodorant in the world is Green Virgin Products. It's totally non toxic and works better than anything. I have been using the same one for almost 4 years and it works every day. No odor at all, even if I exercise and get sweaty. It only costs $5.95 too. Here is a link. http://www.greenvirginproducts.com/mineral-salts-deodorant-stone-4-25-oz-120-grams/
I used crystal spray and roll ons successfully for a number of years. Then they just stopped working. I scrambled for a long while trying other natural things, making my own, etc. What is now working perfectly and consistently every day is LAVILIN Deodorant. I only need to apply this cream once every 12 or 13 days. It really does work for me that long! I had to try it a while to see how much I could trust it, but now I know that for me I can go almost two weeks with no deodorant at all! I love it! It's wonderful to just wash and go most days, no need to wait for stuff to dry, etc. I use the original version, made in Israel. (I have read that the NOW Foods version is not as effective.)
Hi there! I started this thread a couple years ago and have something new to add:
I was using the basic deodorant recipe linked to by a PP (the one with coconut oil, baking soda and corn starch). I used it for the last couple years and it does work, however the second batch I made I think I used too much baking soda...or maybe I tried a different brand of coconut oil or something, I don't know, but the consistency was different and I didn't like it as much anymore.
So, I happened to come across this recipe for homemade deodorant: http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/11/homemade-probiotic-deodorant-that/ and decided to try it. It has a way longer and more complicated ingredient list. I live in central Europe and it literally took weeks for me to gather all the ingredients and I had to order some stuff online. Plus, you cannot say this saves money over store-bought. I didn't calculate the price but honestly it is probably equivalent to store-bought high quality all natural deodorant. Anyway I made it a couple weeks ago and I love it!!!! I made one plain and one scented with an essential oil. I believe I added too much cocoa butter, as it smells too chocolatey and although it's perfectly solid it does get a little smeary when I put it on. But once it's on it doesn't stain my clothes and it totally works! Next time I will add less cocoa butter and perhaps a bit more beeswax. Oh and probiotics are nearly impossible and extremely expensive to get in this part of the world so I left that out. ....and as a bonus, I realized that lip balm is made from some of the same ingredients so I just ordered a bunch of empty lip balm tubes and am going to try my hand at that now too!!!
Good luck to anyone wanting to try this, it is awesome stuff!
Haven't read the thread in full..... After prego #2 my armpits were STINKY. So bad I would bring an extra shirt in the car because I might have to change. Ugh, horrible.
Found 'Coconut Snow' at a local market and it worked. Finally no stink! I have since made my own concoction with coconut oil, baking soda, some TTO and jojoba but I can't get the consistency the same as Coconut Snow. I find straight CO works sometimes, but not all the time. The CSnow does separate in summer months, and in the winter it is hard to get out of the tube. I will order more this summer when I am stateside then dump it out of the squeeze bottle into a little tub so i can stir it. I see they have it in stick now, so I'll try that too!
To the person who said the purpose of pit hair is to deodorize, Sorry, but pit hair won't help or deter odor. Perspiration is normally odor free. However, when bacteria start to break down its chemical components, the result is pit odor. Humans have longer hair on their heads, arm pits and genital area. Scientists believe the purpose of this hair is to insulate those areas on the skin most needing protection.
Interesting thread. :-)
I've had issues with odor forever. Nothing would work. Not even the harsh mainstream deodorants.
Then on a whim this summer, I tried a more natural version from this site:
It's a Rosemary-Mint deodorant using a mixture of coconut oil, baking soda, mango butter, corn starch and essential oils. It's the first product that's ever helped.
I am super curious to make my own now too. Thanks for the links.
- › Welcome! Introduce yourself! 3 minutes ago
- › December Spend-Less Challenge: Let's Fill Our Stockings with... 4 minutes ago
- › Natural ways to handle constipation ? ? 5 minutes ago
- › Placenta takeover? 6 minutes ago
- › How are you staying sane? 7 minutes ago
- › Who's wearing maternity clothes? 12 minutes ago
- › Desperate for a Change in our Dinnertime/Eating! 15 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 12 (enrolling through... 18 minutes ago
- › I did it! 19 minutes ago
- › MIL Cut Little Man's Hair! 19 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by MamaLucera
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo