or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › Why are threads about 3 year olds being moved from Childhood Years to Toddlers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are threads about 3 year olds being moved from Childhood Years to Toddlers? - Page 3

post #41 of 61
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

I did not see any threads that were moved that seemed to belong in CY but I cannot go back and double check those since I cannot see the redirects.


The recent one I saw that I thought shouldn't have been moved was the one about what age children learn they are going to die someday.  The OP had a child who was almost 3, but she wasn't asking specifically about kids that age.  It made sense to address the question to parents of older children who had already learned about death, not to parents of toddlers, who would mostly not have learned about it yet.

 

Yes, this was the thread that prompted my original question. Most children begin asking about death between 4 and 5. Some kids begin asking about it at age 3, however. As such it is NOT a toddler issue, and I doubt that parents of kids who haven't reached this developmental stage can have much to say about the issue.

 

On purely practical note, if you're going to make your poor moderators move threads based on whether content is relevant (rather than on just age), I hope they've got a really really good background in child development!
 

post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I think the difference is because the 3 year old cut off is assuming that the term preschooler is the next phase. Except we don't have a preschooler forum. As such, the cut off isn't applicable here, because we are using different groupings.


But a three year old isn't always a preschooler, either.  Here in Ontario many kids start kindergarten at 3 (my daughter did).  She was not a toddler or a preschooler at 3, she was a child.

 

This debate doesn't really affect me right now - my 16 month old is clearly a toddler, and my 5 year old, not - but I just wanted to point out the problem with any sort of hard and fast rule.  It makes more sense to just post in whatever forum is more appropriate to the question at hand.  I agree that potty training questions are more suited to 'toddler', but many other 3 year old issues really aren't.  I don't think there should be a rule that 3 year olds get defaulted to toddler, especially as eclipse mentioned above, they are not toddlers.

post #43 of 61

It sounds to me like the problem is the name "toddlers", and not so much having a forum for 1-3 yos.  Could there be a better name for that age range? 

 

 

post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I think the difference is because the 3 year old cut off is assuming that the term preschooler is the next phase. Except we don't have a preschooler forum. As such, the cut off isn't applicable here, because we are using different groupings.


But a three year old isn't always a preschooler, either.  Here in Ontario many kids start kindergarten at 3 (my daughter did).  She was not a toddler or a preschooler at 3, she was a child.

 

This debate doesn't really affect me right now - my 16 month old is clearly a toddler, and my 5 year old, not - but I just wanted to point out the problem with any sort of hard and fast rule.  It makes more sense to just post in whatever forum is more appropriate to the question at hand.  I agree that potty training questions are more suited to 'toddler', but many other 3 year old issues really aren't.  I don't think there should be a rule that 3 year olds get defaulted to toddler, especially as eclipse mentioned above, they are not toddlers.


I"m not advocating for a preschooler forum. As an unschooler it's not applicable to me anyway. I was just pointing out that don't use the term here for the forums and have different groupings.

post #45 of 61

My three-year-old is on the edge of beginning to read.  She's definitely not a toddler in any way, shape, or form.  And while you might have a list of forum requests "as long as your arm," having an early childhood one seems like it should be more of a priority.  Every person on this board either has a child who is/was three or four, or WAS a child who was three and four.  It's a forum that could apply to everyone here unlike many that are likely to be on your list.   And developmentally, three and four-year-olds are not that different from each other.  At least based on my parenting/foster parenting as well as my 25+ years as a teacher and education specialist.  There's much more of a difference between two-year-olds and three-year-olds.

post #46 of 61

It's funny this is such an issue, when my DD turned 3 she was not a toddler in many ways, when I asked a question in the CY forum one user got on my case about how there was such a big difference between the issue of a 3 year old and a 9 year old(uh duh).  I find that it would be nice to have a young childhood or as "preschool" age(which obviously is offensive to some because of the name).  I mean there are TONS of threads dealing with the 3-5 set, which have their own unique sets of issues(learning about death, friendship, development of fears,my 3,4,5 year old is driving me nuts).  I just feel that for me it would be easier to have another spot for parents of children of those ages, who aren't babies, toddlers and yet not traditional "school-age".

 

Right now isn't the time for that break, but considering it in the future would be nice.

post #47 of 61

What about a restructuring that would provide an early childhood forum without adding a forum?  Could LWAB and Toddlers be combined, if it ended at 36 mo?  A "first three years" forum might make sense.

 

And then early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescents from 11+.   

post #48 of 61

I don't think it matters that much which forum 3 year olds are in, as long as the age ranges are specified in the forum titles so everyone knows what the guidelines are.  Kids change so quickly in those first years that 3 year olds seem quite different to me from 1 and 2 year olds.  But 3 year olds are pretty different from 8 year olds, too. 

 

What seems odd to me is to have the moderators suddenly talking as if everyone should know that 3 year old issues really belong in Toddlers, when there has actually been a long-standing tradition (or so it seemed to me) of including 3 year olds in The Childhood Years.  I don't really care if there's going to be a change, but it's weird when a change isn't acknowledged as a change.

post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post

What about a restructuring that would provide an early childhood forum without adding a forum?  Could LWAB and Toddlers be combined, if it ended at 36 mo?  A "first three years" forum might make sense.

 

And then early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescents from 11+.   


I really like this idea.  When DD was 2, she really was much closer to a baby than to the 3 year old she is now.  My late walking and talking 21mo will probably be even more so.  There is such a wide range, too: he didn't become a "toddler" until 17 months... there are 9 month olds who can walk!  His language skills now are about where DD's were at 13 months.

 

I think a 3 year old is very much a child, and not a toddler.  While I do think that there should be separate baby/toddler/preschool forums, if I had to pick two it would definitely be baby/toddler and preschool (or whatever you want to call it).

post #50 of 61


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

I don't think it matters that much which forum 3 year olds are in, as long as the age ranges are specified in the forum titles so everyone knows what the guidelines are.  Kids change so quickly in those first years that 3 year olds seem quite different to me from 1 and 2 year olds.  But 3 year olds are pretty different from 8 year olds, too. 

 

What seems odd to me is to have the moderators suddenly talking as if everyone should know that 3 year old issues really belong in Toddlers, when there has actually been a long-standing tradition (or so it seemed to me) of including 3 year olds in The Childhood Years.  I don't really care if there's going to be a change, but it's weird when a change isn't acknowledged as a change.

i remember this happening before in s different subset of threads. i don't think that there is a rule necessarily, i think that the mods make an arbitrary decision to manage a situation that they feel is causing problems. their rationale may or may not reflect what is actually the understanding of the forums. unless there is some sooper sekrit mod handbook with all of the rules in it that we don't know about bigeyes.gif

 

ETA- i find the use of the term tween offensive as it was originally developed by advertisers to create a new market for more mature products for children. please don't start a tween forum.  i do like the idea of an early childhood, late childhood, early adolescence, late adolescence division though.

post #51 of 61

...


Edited by miriam_bat_avraham - 11/13/13 at 7:16pm
post #52 of 61

...


Edited by miriam_bat_avraham - 11/13/13 at 7:15pm
post #53 of 61

So I'm confused.  You keep talking about potty training belonging in Toddlers, and while I would mostly agree with you, there are currently two threads in CY about potty issues with older children.  Is that allowed?  

 

And then there are kids like my oldest son.  He's 3 years 8 months and NO where near getting potty trained.  Won't happen before he's 4 unless there is a miracle.  So, when the time comes and I need to figure out to get him to potty, where do I post?  Because he is NOT a toddler (and hasn't been for probably a year, dispite the fact that he still wears diapers) and all the stuff I did with my daughter wouldn't work with a four year old (she was two.)

post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

ETA- i find the use of the term tween offensive as it was originally developed by advertisers to create a new market for more mature products for children. please don't start a tween forum.  i do like the idea of an early childhood, late childhood, early adolescence, late adolescence division though.



"Tween" is just a new fangled way of saying pre-teen anyway. Because they are be-Tween childhood and teenagehood (if that is even a word, which I don't think it is, but I do think it should be.)

post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

well, how i've always decided where to put things (and imnsho I think is quite sensible!) is go by what the subject is vs the age. If I was posting about my 12 month old teething, i'd post to lwab. If it were about speech development, then toddlers. If i'm posting about my 3yo's tantrums, then toddlers. If I wanted tips for what brand of shoes to buy this winter, i'd sure as heck post in childhood! (because I definitely wouldn't want to hear anyone rattling off brands that only go up to 8 or 9, when she wears 11!)


Yep.

 

PL issues, tantruming in Toddlers; interaction with other kids, daycare in CY.

post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

well, how i've always decided where to put things (and imnsho I think is quite sensible!) is go by what the subject is vs the age. If I was posting about my 12 month old teething, i'd post to lwab. If it were about speech development, then toddlers. If i'm posting about my 3yo's tantrums, then toddlers. If I wanted tips for what brand of shoes to buy this winter, i'd sure as heck post in childhood! (because I definitely wouldn't want to hear anyone rattling off brands that only go up to 8 or 9, when she wears 11!)


Yep.

 

PL issues, tantruming in Toddlers; interaction with other kids, daycare in CY.



I don't really get it.  I guess the age ranges for forums work for me, generally, because kids anywhere from 1-5+ can have issues regarding PL, tantruming, interacting with kids, and daycare.  The responses may be different depending on whether the child is 2 or 4, and appropriately so.  I don't understand why 3 yo tantruming would be in toddlers, but 3 yo peer relations in CY, and I would find it helpful to have a forum home for 3 yos in all their age appropriate complexity :) 

 

post #57 of 61


Yeah you're right.  I think it is geared toward what response you're looking for.  My almost nine year old nephew is still PL, and strategies for him would obviously be different.

 

Will be interesting to see if a change can be made to satisfy everyone....

post #58 of 61

Or maybe just change the forum names/ages: LWAB becomes Babies & toddlers (0-24 months), Toddlers becomes "early childhood" (2-5yrs) and Childhood Years becomes 5-9/10, an 'adolecents' forum for 9/10-13ish and then a straight teen forum for 13/14+ :shrug: 

post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post


Or maybe just change the forum names/ages: LWAB becomes Babies & toddlers (0-24 months), Toddlers becomes "early childhood" (2-5yrs) and Childhood Years becomes 5-10 or so and then Teens becomes 11+ Or something. 






I like this idea. Then there wouldn't be a need to add a new forum, or find a moderator.
post #60 of 61

Hi, everyone! Apologies for any upset. My goal is to meet as many members' needs as possible while ensuring that forum organization makes sense, especially to new members who may not know where to post. I need to ask that you allow me some time to go through this and determine the most effective course of action for the community. I'm just coming back from a leave of absence, so I simply need time to determine what the specific problems were in the forums and what's going to be the next step.

 

I'm going to table any changes right now, but I definitely have this on my to-do list. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!


Edited by georgia - 11/15/10 at 4:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › Why are threads about 3 year olds being moved from Childhood Years to Toddlers?