My baby will have days (or couple day stretches) where she'll refuse to eat for hours at a time. The other day she just kept screaming and arching and refusing to nurse to the point that she actually had a small amount of brick dust in her diaper and when I weighed her, she was a few ounces LESS than what she was the week before.
Things I've noticed:
- She seems picky about where she nurses. Quite often she won't eat at all if we're out for a couple hours. She seems better at eating in the rocking chair and best in bed. However, she has had exceptions to this, having a couple days in which she nursed while out and days where she won't even nurse well in her usual favorite spots.
- Some days are dramatically worse than others. I noticed recently that the last 2 or 3 times I've had pasta have been followed by very bad days which is why I suspected it could be food related. Also, occasionally her bad days fall on days when we're out a lot.
- Her weight gain is slow. My first daughter was a big baby and a constant nurser, but I was small as a baby so she could be following my growth curve. At over 3 months, she's not quite 11.5 pounds
- She will take a pacifier, but generally refuses bottles. I do work on an extremely part-time basis (generally only gone 3-4 hours a week, though it has a couple times been more) So I will leave bottles of pumped milk when I'm out and pacifiers. She usually does not like the bottle. I've also tried giving her pumped milk when she is refusing to nurse just so she'll have something in her tummy. She usually only gets pacifiers when nursing isn't an option (in the car or if we're in the middle of a grocery store) or when all else fails (like when she refuses to nurse but is very upset).
- She sleeps very well and nurses better at night. Recently she has been nursing a couple times in the night and a couple times when falling asleep for the night. She generally doesn't cry or fully awaken at night and with the exception of waking just enough to eat will stay asleep for a good 12 hours.
- Sometimes she stops crying when I stop trying to feed her. And sometimes she's happier on the floor than in my arms.
- She is gassy. Especially on her bad days
- Her skin is great. No rashes/diaper rash/eczema When she was about 1-3 weeks old she had a bad break-out on her face, probably some sort of baby acne. Shad diaper rashes in the first month or so, but has been great since. The only thing she has had is a small rash on her cheek, but it only lasted a day and has only happened a couple times. I'm guessing from sleeping in a small puddle of breastmilk at night.
- She chokes on the milk regularly. She does this when family member attempt to give her the bottle (which, like I said is maybe once or twice a week TOPS) as well as when she nurses. Especially happens when she's fussy.
- She has been having bad days maybe 1-2 times a week. Her better days are a bit more fussy, but she eats better and gains back the weight she lost on her bad day, so overall she is still gaining weight, just slowly. Fow example, she was 11-7 last week, dropped to 11-3 on her bad day 2 days ago, and is now back to 11-7. She is never perfect with eating and even on a good day will fuss a bit with some feedings.
- No vomiting. She used to projectile vomit, but infrequently and she hasn't done so in at least a month.
Things I've tried:
- I've been staying dairy-free
- She sleeps next to me and usually nurses better at night
- She has been to the chiropractor a couple times for adjustments
- She has been on probiotics (reuteri and cuturelle) for many weeks
- Swaying/rocking while nursing her occasionally help her latch on, but not always.
Edited by haleyelianasmom - 11/15/10 at 12:36pm