or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Coconut, soy and gluten free shampoo/conditioner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Coconut, soy and gluten free shampoo/conditioner?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I am in search of a coconut/sls/, soy and gluten free shampoo/conditioner if there is such thing. I have been using nothing but water for months now and it is just not working for me. I don't really like the no-poo method either. I just need something for once in a while if possible.

 

 

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 17

Well, definitely stay away from all the "natural" stuff, because I haven't found any that are coconut-free.  I'm using an Aussie conditioner right now that *looks* like it might fit your criteria, but I'd probably contact the company to find out for sure.  I don't see any SLS or coco- ingredients, and no obvious gluten or soy (vitamin E).

post #3 of 17

Possibly Original Sprout has something that would fit those criteria? I'm not sure about coconut, but a ton of their products are free of gluten and soy.

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Well, definitely stay away from all the "natural" stuff, because I haven't found any that are coconut-free.  I'm using an Aussie conditioner right now that *looks* like it might fit your criteria, but I'd probably contact the company to find out for sure.  I don't see any SLS or coco- ingredients, and no obvious gluten or soy (vitamin E).


I hate that I have to give up "natural" to have coconut free and all the others! What is the name of the Aussie brand you are using right now? Thanks!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post

Possibly Original Sprout has something that would fit those criteria? I'm not sure about coconut, but a ton of their products are free of gluten and soy.


Have not heard of that one. I will check it out. Thanks!

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadmama View Post


 

Quote:
 


I hate that I have to give up "natural" to have coconut free and all the others! What is the name of the Aussie brand you are using right now? Thanks!

 



 


 

It's "Aussie".  ;)  It's the cheap stuff in the purple bottles.  I would rather use the natural stuff too, but it's all plant based (as it should be!), which makes most of it unsafe for us.

post #6 of 17

I've been No Poo for almost 2 years and love it. I use baking soda to scrub my scalp about 1-2 times a week and rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar. For hair that needs a lot of conditioning some people use oil or homemade mayo mixtures. I don't need this at all.

 

Rhianna

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:

 

It's "Aussie".  ;)  It's the cheap stuff in the purple bottles.  I would rather use the natural stuff too, but it's all plant based (as it should be!), which makes most of it unsafe for us.


Thanks I will check it out.

 

 

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

I've been No Poo for almost 2 years and love it. I use baking soda to scrub my scalp about 1-2 times a week and rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar. For hair that needs a lot of conditioning some people use oil or homemade mayo mixtures. I don't need this at all.

 

Rhianna


I will give it a try again but it did not really work for me the first time around. I need to be able to do it when Dd is not in the shower with me which is maybe once a week as she is allergic to the world eyesroll.gif

post #9 of 17

No those have soy cellulose and sorbate are other words for soy. I also have an allergy to soy sadly it's horrible I use or eat anything haha.

post #10 of 17

I would say to make your own home made conditioners and shampoos with baking soda and honey some herbs stuff like that. As for lotions um I haven't figured that one out. May I ask what it is u eat? lol because I have recently been eating smoothies no milk or anything just fruit pureed in a blender. I eat bread and things containing soy every other day but i really have to behave and not use or eat soy I pay for it when I do. It's really hard though. Thank you.

post #11 of 17

I know how she feels I am just about allergic to the world too haha trees grass soy animals dairy intolerance some seafood :( I don't know what happened.

post #12 of 17

What about this?

 

http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Essence-Italian-Shampoo-liquid/dp/B000Q8M9L4/ref=pd_sim_bt_9

 

here's the ingredients for fragrance free:  Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extracts: Organic Olea Europea (Olive) Leaf (2) and Organic Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) (2), Organic Urtica Dioica (Nettle) (2), Organic Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf (2), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (1), Sodium Coco Sulfate, Decyl Polyglucose (1), Polyquaternium-7, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (2), DL-Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), 1,2-Octanediol, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate.1 Certified Organic by EcoCert 2 Certified Organic by QCS

post #13 of 17
post #14 of 17

Hi Marlie and Something,


This thread is over a year old.  Thanks for the advice but it look like the original posted hasn't been on this site in almost a year now.  

 

Welcome though and I am sure you can add a lot to the allergy topic!

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

What about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Essence-Italian-Shampoo-liquid/dp/B000Q8M9L4/ref=pd_sim_bt_9


Cocamidopropyl Betaine (1), Sodium Coco Sulfate

I realize this is a very olf thread but for anyone who searches coconut free shapoos on google this shows up and I just wanna say the 2 ingredients above are in face coconut derived just as SLS in so many toothpastes...shampoos and body washes are. I have a coconut allergy and it is a nightmare. Soap wise I use kiss my face pure olive oil soap but the shampoo battle is very difficult....u can find coconut free shampoo bars on some sites....but for my hair they dont truly clean it well....others rave about them...depends on ur hair type I think....there are some all natrual shampoos aimed more at the african american community that are coconut free but wont work if u already have kinda oily hair but I do use them every other week bc they add a extra dose of moisture to my hair. Its best to go to google and search "list off coconut derivatives" for a full list...some of the ingredients dont even sound like they have coconut... I had to find even deodorant that was coconut free but luckyly one brand at walmart was....as far as toms of maine toothpaste being sls free/coconut free....think again their glycerin is made from coconut (as many companies do)...I had to buy closys toothpaste (ordered off line)

Absolute nightmare to deal with coconut allergies or intolerances but my scalp no longer burns or flakes and I dont get random headachs after washing my hair or brushing my teeth.
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 

Wow!! I have not been on the boards in a reallllllly long time and to see this post again is very nostalgic. :)

 

Thanks for responding ladies. We still have not found one that fits the criteria.

 

My dd is now 5 and has not used shampoo or conditioner except maybe twice. Her hair is silky and smooth with no oily build up etc. The real no-poo girl!

 

Keep the ideas coming as I am sure others will be looking for the same things!

post #17 of 17

Every time I find something that doesn't seem to contain coconut, it contains wheat.

 

Have you tried making your own, and if so, how did that work?  Maybe you can contact someone who makes things locally and see if they can make a conditioner and shampoo to your specifications.

 

When I was in Pennsylvania last year, I bought lotion and soap from this business: http://www.sassyalbertsoap.com  My father in law said they would make things upon request.  They have a shampoo that contains wheat protein, but I wonder if they could make it without that.  The ingredients are: organic aloe juice, organic lavender hydrosol, Roman Chamomile, vegetable glycerin, wheat protein, Vitamin B-5 and Vitamin E, rose-hip seed oil, jojoba and essential oils of Australian tea tree, peppermint...........16 oz

 

This site has gluten free shampoo, and they say that you can ask about coconut free soap: http://gfsoap.com/shampoos.html

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Coconut, soy and gluten free shampoo/conditioner?