or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Fitness and Weight Management › Am I missing something? Trying to like yoga
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I missing something? Trying to like yoga

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi all. I started going to yoga class at the gym with a friend of mine several months ago. Well, I just don't like it. I hear about how good it is for you, and I do believe I've seen some results from it, but I just can't seem to love it, to look forward to going. Can anyone relate? Does it get worse before it gets better? Am I missing something?

post #2 of 14

Yoga just isn't for me.  I did it in college, tried it again after college and then again when pregnant, but I just don't like it.  I try to do stretches after I workout.  You can keep on trying for a while, but the best type of exercise is one you will do and enjoy.

post #3 of 14

I don't like it either. I've tried many times. It's boring, frustrating, stressful for me. EVERYONE tells me I just 'need to find the right class', it's getting a little offensive. Why can't it be ok not to like yoga? I don't get all judgmental when people say they don't like swimming. I don't try to tell them they just haven't found the right stroke. There is nothing wrong with people who don't like swimming, and there is nothing wrong with people who don't like yoga.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambereva View Post

I don't like it either. I've tried many times. It's boring, frustrating, stressful for me. EVERYONE tells me I just 'need to find the right class', it's getting a little offensive. Why can't it be ok not to like yoga? I don't get all judgmental when people say they don't like swimming. I don't try to tell them they just haven't found the right stroke. There is nothing wrong with people who don't like swimming, and there is nothing wrong with people who don't like yoga.



 


Yes, this is me! I just end up frustrated and stressed during and after class. I thought yoga was supposed to calm you, make you feel good, etc. Nope, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

Yoga just isn't for me.  I did it in college, tried it again after college and then again when pregnant, but I just don't like it.  I try to do stretches after I workout.  You can keep on trying for a while, but the best type of exercise is one you will do and enjoy.



You're absoultely right. I'll probably keep on trying, lol. I don't see myself lasting much longer, though. If it weren't for meeting up with my friend, I don't think I would still be going.

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

the best type of exercise is one you will do and enjoy.


yeahthat.gif

 

i happen to love my hatha yoga class, but realize that it's not for everyone.  i had tried yoga several times in the past without much enthusiasm.  wasn't until the last year that i really started to enjoy it.

post #6 of 14

I've also tried yoga a number of times (different kinds, different teachers, different places) in the hopes that I'd find the love everyone talks about.  But I also find myself constantly wondering how many more mintues of it I need to endure before I can get up and "do something"!  But I do feel better, more stretched out and relaxed, when I'm done.  Still, I don't look forward to it at all.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

I've also tried yoga a number of times (different kinds, different teachers, different places) in the hopes that I'd find the love everyone talks about.  But I also find myself constantly wondering how many more mintues of it I need to endure before I can get up and "do something"!  But I do feel better, more stretched out and relaxed, when I'm done.  Still, I don't look forward to it at all.



Well, at least it's not just me, lol

post #8 of 14

I've only been to 1 class and the whole time I was thinking about how I could do this at home for free.  Lucky it was a free class.  I don't have a gym membership for that reason also.  Yoga is not my thing, I prefer a good hard run or bike ride to make myself feel like jello.

post #9 of 14

Ditto for me too.  I tried hot yoga even, thinking maybe if I sweat like crazy I'll feel like I got something out of it.  I just don't like it!  I did a class that was something like yoga for athletes, that was ok.  I really love the idea of it.  I get really stretched out but I do NOT need the class or an hour to do so.  I had a private instructor once, it was fabulous.  He really made a lot of sense to me.  There are many ways to practice yoga.  I use it ONLY because the sequence of moves makes my body feel very limber which is good for me because I lift weights and excercise in ways that my body takes more of a beating.  My instructor told me to stop feeling bad because I hate yoga and just use it in a more selfish way.  I was feeling bad because I can't get "in" to the whole mind and body thing in the classroom, but I do find it useful in  a very physical way. And that is ok too. 

 

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post

Ditto for me too.  I tried hot yoga even, thinking maybe if I sweat like crazy I'll feel like I got something out of it.  I just don't like it!  I did a class that was something like yoga for athletes, that was ok.  I really love the idea of it.  I get really stretched out but I do NOT need the class or an hour to do so.  I had a private instructor once, it was fabulous.  He really made a lot of sense to me.  There are many ways to practice yoga.  I use it ONLY because the sequence of moves makes my body feel very limber which is good for me because I lift weights and excercise in ways that my body takes more of a beating.  My instructor told me to stop feeling bad because I hate yoga and just use it in a more selfish way.  I was feeling bad because I can't get "in" to the whole mind and body thing in the classroom, but I do find it useful in  a very physical way. And that is ok too. 

 



 Part of my problem with it is that classes offered where I go are so LONG. Like, 90 min! If I knew enough to create a quicker routine at home, I might like that, because I have seen some results already.

post #11 of 14

I enjoy the practice of yoga. I dislike going to yoga classes. I  just can't devote an hour and a half of my time if it doesn't involve significant calorie burn ya know? 

I find yoga classes ridiculously expensive...$18 a class around here. In addition , it's become this hipster elitist fashion scene.

I toss in a few rounds of sun salutations before and after a run and I'm good.

Occasionally I'll do a comprehensive video on a Saturday but I'm skipping the yoga studio scene.

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post

I've only been to 1 class and the whole time I was thinking about how I could do this at home for free.  Lucky it was a free class.  I don't have a gym membership for that reason also.  Yoga is not my thing, I prefer a good hard run or bike ride to make myself feel like jello.


I started my yoga practice exclusively at home (started all my exercising at home).  Yoga has it's place in all I do.  I have my good hard run days and the days where I recover with yoga.  I always encourage folks to not get caught up in classes and the whole "yoga experience".  Make it what you need it to be.  Period.  And accept it might not just be for you!  LoL . . . what's wrong with that?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post

I enjoy the practice of yoga. I dislike going to yoga classes. I  just can't devote an hour and a half of my time if it doesn't involve significant calorie burn ya know? 

I find yoga classes ridiculously expensive...$18 a class around here. In addition , it's become this hipster elitist fashion scene.

I toss in a few rounds of sun salutations before and after a run and I'm good.

Occasionally I'll do a comprehensive video on a Saturday but I'm skipping the yoga studio scene.

Me too!  I go to one power yoga class and it's an hour only.  The teacher gives the option to leave before savasana.  I go for a 30 minute run right after because I always feel that I didn't really "get it in" with just the yoga.  And the classes are too expensive . . . I actually prefer to practice at home because why do I have to fork over so much money to do the same thing?  
 

post #13 of 14

I hate yoga.  Every time I've ever tried it, I've wound up with a huge headache afterward.   Never again.  Why would I do something that makes me feel like vomiting?

post #14 of 14

Back in 97 I tried an Iyengar clas, and ended up passing out in a backbend because the teacher was taking so long to discuss how we should "be" in the pose. I tried Bikram, but got yelled at, twice, for leaving the room to get water. THe room smelled like urine (you sweat your urine through your pores when your body has nothing left to give) and I hated doing the same sequence over and over. I run, swim, bike, hike, tri, etc, and gave up  yoga for things I really enjoyed.

 

I gave in and went to a yoga for athletes class with a great teacher and was hooked. I had found what called to me. SHe was able to keep the rythym going fast, and explain in the pose BRIEFLY how the pose benefited me as an athlete. After a few years ago I ended up with Runner's Knee, and lost my road bike to boot. I got more into yoga and ended up going through the same teacher training program as my teacher and now teach myself.

 

And for the record :) I am not totally crazy about swimming, but I did find the stroke that worked best for me, and after maintaining a constant swim schedule, I grew to enjoy swimming and was able to branch out into dif strokes and anjoy the swim part of the tri :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fitness and Weight Management
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Fitness and Weight Management › Am I missing something? Trying to like yoga