DH and I are in a rough place finacially so my mom is helping with my student loans, therefore I think it would counterproductive to buy her a Christmas present and I think it would make her mad. However, I don't want to not give her a gift. I'm fairly crafty, I can sew and do many other crafts (I'm not very good at yarn crafts tho and I don't have any scrapebooking supplies). I'm thinking I'd like to do something with the kids handprints or footprints, or pictures, but I don't want it to look cheap. Any ideas? TIA
- categoryArts Crafts
Related Forum Threads
- 10 Skeins of merino/tencel blend yarn by Valley Yarns Last post on 12/30/12 at 6:29pm in Crafts
- Birthday Party Favor Craft Ideas? Last post on 1/5/11 at 3:26pm in Arts & Crafts
- Photography - Come share pictures! Last post on 1/4/11 at 5:42pm in Arts & Crafts
- Good birthday gift for someone who likes paper crafts? Last post on 1/17/11 at 6:15pm in Arts & Crafts
- Needle Felting? Last post on 6/30/11 at 7:02pm in Arts & Crafts
Christmas gift for my mom
What does your mom like to do? Does she have any hobbies, collect stuff, etc.? Maybe thinking about that will give you an idea. There are so many tutorials on the web, but you need an idea to start with that you'll feel really inspired to try . I've been trying really hard to use only my stash for making gifts this year, and it's been so much fun. Try to see it as a challenge rather than being disappointed that you can't buy something,.
I have seen people talk about the rice bags here for years, but I never was that interested, until I bought one at a fundraiser. It is really nice - and smells so good when heated up. I am thinking of making a couple to heat up before we head out in the car on cold winter days.
You could make her one with some pretty fabric. The one I got has a removable cover so I can wash it. And it has rejuvenate stitched on the cover.
What about something like this
You could add in some sugar scrub, maybe some home made calendula cream, some bath bombs or and a nice bar of soap.
It would be inexpensive to make if you use material from your stash or pretty pillow cases from the thrift store.
There are also tutorials for simple throws made from vintage pillow cases or sheets and backed with fleece or an older blanket. You could easily assemble something like that for under $10 and embroider something special on one of the pieces.
I would browse the Sew Mama Sew Christmas tutorials - lots of great ideas there.
- Christmas gift for my mom
- › Best (or worst) comments made so far? 2 minutes ago
- › Asthma and seasonal allergies 5 minutes ago
- › "A Nation of Wimps" 6 minutes ago
- › No Fooling! 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 8.0... 11 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 11 minutes ago
- › Boys vs. girls 12 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 9.0 (enrolling through... 12 minutes ago
- › new to breastfeeding.. 16 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 24 minutes ago
- › Mothball Smelling BM/Low Weight Gain 6 MO 36 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo