Please help me think through this. My ds1 will be 9 next week, ds2 is 5. I've always been anti-video games because I feel that it encourages habitual lethargy and reduces children's ability to think of fun creative play to do instead.
My other concerns:
- - Ds1 seems to be particularly prone to wanting only screen time in place of any other activity. I try to limit TV/computer time, but it inevitably averages out to more than 2hours/day over the course of a week.
- - Limiting TV/computer time is a huge struggle between ds1 and I. I know some people feel that we should let our children monitor themselves, but I believe it truly depends on the child. Ds2 only watches a little and then gets bored with it. Ds1 would and has watched TV all day. I'm not worried about ds2, only ds1 and his intense disposition to for media dependency.
- - We have a 'no TV in the middle of the day' rule but dh does not want to limit playing Wii (if we get one) to only evenings, which I worry means that it will not be used as a replacement for TV, but rather more likely in addition.... meaning more screen time.
- - It's active and interactive, but it still reinforces a habit of screen time.
Ok. So, call me a total bummer (dh does!), but I feel strongly about these things. I grew up with very, very limited tv and I now watch virtually none while dh grew up with no limits and he watches it all day, all night and is (I feel) rather stunted by it both physically, socially and intellectually. I know I can't generalize over just our own examples, but from what I've seen with other people and children, these are the conclusions I have drawn.
- - The kids may get up on the weekends and play the Wii, which is more physical than sitting watching TV.
- - We can play some games together
- - Dh might play some games with them rather than watch TV with them.
- - It could potentially reduce the total suff of STUFF the kids get for Christmas (another contencious issue with me))
So, I'd love to hear from anti-video gamers and pro-Wii'ers.
Please help me think this through! Dh and I have such divergent values that it becomes too tense to discuss the pros and cons like reasonable adults :)
Thank you in advance!!