Every year on the board there several discussions on holding back vs sending to K.. I am starting this now because I know that some charter schools in some areas start their enrollment processes in December (they do here) and here at least your have to get your paperwork in within the 2 week time frame which doesn't leave a lot of time to think things through.
We live in a good district, so I wont be applying for a charter. our district starts round ups in febuary so I am thinking ahead.
My ds2 will be 5 in march. On academics I have no worries. On the social level I am really nervous. He has never attended preschool because I really cannot afford it;headstart is not an option either since we are above their income guidelines he has a couple friends his own age. He is very clingy and shy and takes a very long time to warm up to people. At church he refuses to go to the pre-k class and would rather play in the nursery.I took him to story time at the library a few times. He hated it. He would not participate in the class instead he would stay on my lap the whole time.
I know things can change before school starts, but I cannot help but to worry. My ODD is special needs and my ODS is to smart for his own good..I am afraid that if I hold him back he will miss out on the academics that he is ready for..but I am afraid if I put him in I will be getting calls everyday about him not participating in class. FTR he has no behavior problems, he wont disrupt anyone or fight with other kids during the classes. He will just not participate in any way shape or form..he will find a corner and play alone happily with toys.
He has a weekly play-date with another boy that will be 5 in June. The other boy is like mine except he wants to participate he just doesn't understand what the other kids are doing (per mom) and he is in preschool 3 days a week. His mother has said she will be putting him into a pre-k program next year at the preschool as opposed to kindergarten. This is really NOT an option for me. I am leaning toward the try it and see how it goes in K decision but I am not a fan of the K schedule either. Our kids go 3 days a week, either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday all day and then 1/2 day on friday Depending on what quadrant of the district you live in since we have 2 cities in our district. I hated this schedule last year with ODS because I could never get him on a good routine and having kids at 2 different schools with 2 different schedules and bus times was a major pain in my arse! so I am still on the fence..go figure!
So where is everyone else at in the decision making process?