I realize that as a woman that has been nursing for 32 months I should know the answer to this question but I really don't. My daughter has been nursing with a terrible latch for a year now (I lost my milk three months pregnant with her brother and she comfort nursed throughout the pregnancy...and never lost her comfort-nurse latch despite my best efforts to re-teach her). My nine month old has been power teething and there have been several bites that have made me yelp *and* my pump recently died, after turning my nipples purple for several weeks. (As I write this I cringe at how silly this all sounds). Things are not any different than they have been for weeks if not a few months. It hurts to nurse both kids and to pump. There does appear to be a crack but it doesn't bleed or get better....I am just lost. And tired. Short of flashing the women at LLL how do I find out for sure? With tandem nursing and pumping a little for the baby to have at "meals" or in a cup if we are in the car there is not much time to heal, if a crack is the problem. I tried a breast shield awhile ago and my toddler promptly chomped down on it, so I am hesitant to try that again. I have started a renewed effort to use lanolin several times a day....but if anyone can read through this mess and help me I would appreciate it.
Mothering Top Picks
Related Forum Threads
- More milk plus Last post on 12/18/10 at 10:19am in Breastfeeding
- Itchy breasts Last post on 11/23/10 at 11:53pm in Breastfeeding
- Milk Blister Last post on 11/23/10 at 4:52am in Breastfeeding
- Is Chloraseptic spray ok while breastfeeding? Last post on 12/1/10 at 7:20pm in Breastfeeding
- Herbal Detoxification Last post on 3/29/02 at 8:20am in Women's Health
Worried You Aren't Making Enough Milk?? Watch This Video!!
Last edited: 11/4/13
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?Last edited: 11/2/13
- The Crunchy Mom’s Guide to Working with Your PediatricianLast edited: 10/25/13
- Kids in the House: the New Video Resource for FamiliesLast edited: 9/26/13
- Are You Breastfeeding an Older Child?Last edited: 9/22/13
Is my nipple cracked?post #1 of 1011/28/10 at 8:52pmThread Starterpost #2 of 1011/29/10 at 10:33am
I don't have much advice to offer but wanted to commiserate with you! I have a 'crack' in one nipple that has been there since I started nursing my now 18mo old. She weaned at a year when I was 5 mo pregnant and now that her sister is here the crack is being re-aggravated. It never went away even though no one was bothering it for 4ish months.
So sorry I can't be of more help!post #3 of 1011/29/10 at 12:40pm
Ouch! Have you tried all purpose nipple ointment? http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76:all-purpose-nipple-ointment-apno&catid=5:information&Itemid=17post #4 of 1011/29/10 at 5:05pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1011/29/10 at 5:10pmQuote:
yeah, it is prescription and needs to be compounded... however the ingredients are all over-the-counter, I think. I like Newman's take that it treats everything at once because mamas don't want to wait to see if one ingredient will work when they need their nipples for nursing!post #6 of 1011/29/10 at 5:20pm
Wow. That's indeed a lot going on at once. I wonder...if your pump was turning your nipple purple...if the root cause of all of this pain is a too small flange on the pump, combined with teething...It just seems like if a crack was the problem you would know that you know that you know...When pumping perhaps you could check and ensure that your nipple isn't rubbing on the sides of the tunnel, there should be space b/w the tunnel and your nipple tissue..if not, going up a flange size may solve much of your pain. (PS, don't rule out complicating factors like thrush, etc as you investigate) It may be worth asking if a local LC could do a brief exam/history, or baring all to your LLL Leader :) Good luck~post #7 of 1011/29/10 at 7:40pmThread Starter
Thank you! I think it is time to get an appointment with someone and have them take a look and/or call something in. It would be nice to get a 'professionals' opinion on the pump fit as well as the baby's latch AND whatever is going on (crack, mild infection or yeast).
I have wondered about the pump--I just got a new one so hopefully it will fit me or just work better. Maybe since the motor was dying on the old one that was affecting the way it worked?
Thank you all--this was just the nudge that I needed!post #8 of 1011/30/10 at 8:23pmThread Starter
Update: I was able to get int with a LC today and she had a few things to say which I will post in case they may help others:
she thinks my nipples are pretty pink/red and that there may be a mild yeast issue
she thinks my nine month old has a terrible latch and is gnawing on the end of my nipple
she thinks I have a small crack or two
she thinks the suction on my pump was way too high and wants me to turn it down
she suggested vinegar rinses and using Motherlove nipple cream
she thought I could try a nipple shield, which neither of my kiddos went for
she suggested letting the baby use his cup more during the day (he nurses a ton at night; he is super distractable during the day) since when we are both half asleep he is either latching on better or it hurts me less :)
hope something helps...post #9 of 1012/1/10 at 7:22pmpost #10 of 1012/3/10 at 9:06pm
I had persistant crack and pink/itchy nipples due to thrush. I went on a sterilizing/cleaning/washing everything in vinegar rampage.
I made just at-home all-purponse nipple cream and it helped so so so so so much, but lanolin did pretty much nothing for me (maybe it helps to prevent problems, but not so much to cure them?)
Equal parts lotramin, neosporin, and cortisone ointment. I also wiped my nipples with a clean cotton ball dipped in diluted vinegar water before/after feedings, then put on the APNO after the rinse had dried after the feeding.
- Thanks for Thinking Pink, Hollywood, Now How About Kids with Cancer?
- › What is your word for nursing? 12 seconds ago
- › The Big Thank You thread 3 minutes ago
- › Where are you? 4 minutes ago
- › Dingo Bells, Dingo Bells, Dingo all the Way!!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions December 7 minutes ago
- › Thrift Score! 9 minutes ago
- › Show off your bump here! 10 minutes ago
- › St. Francis in Indiana? 12 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 14 minutes ago
- › December chat thread! 17 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo