I feel like I should be able to do it and of course the doctors and midwives here say that they will support a VBAC after 2 C-Sections, but I'm not sure if they really believe it. I really don't want another C-Section... I am trying to see if I can come up with the money for the FARM, but it's doubtful, though they have been very nice and said they would accept me if I got back to them quickly... And they told me what supplements to take. If anyone knows what the billing name for their facility is, please let me know, so I can check if my VA state Anthem insurance will cover any of it! Or I would do a homebirth, but can't get a midwife to do it with 2 c-sections and I'm due in January anyway - not sure if anyone could get up our mountain road!
OK, so both of my sons were on the early side. My water broke at 38 weeks with my first and I didn't know to wait, so I went straight to the hospital and didn't go into contractions on my own. They gave me several hours then told my husband to do nipple stimulation (surprising, huh?) and then gave me Pitocin. Strong contractions but NO dilation, then the c-section.
2nd boy, water broke at 38 1/2 weeks, homebirth with local direct-entry midwife, very experienced and beloved, with her assistants, one of whom was a nurse. I hadn't met either one of them and for some reason the midwife I knew well and trusted wasn't there until the next day for an hour or so before I went to the hospital. Maybe not knowing them contributed?? Anyway, I did go into contractions on my own, but still never dilated. Used birthing stools, lots of walking in our woods, even sex (orgasm then contraction is a strange feeling...) but still, not even 2 centimeters dilated! The midwife had said that she had attended "dry births" where the water had broken then taken several days to birth the baby, but for some reason they wanted me to go into the hospital to get Pitocin and see if that would work. The reason they gave was because my husband had checked me for dilation in the morning when I wasn't really sure if my water had really broken (they taught him to do that), though he used gloves! Also, the assistant MW "swept the cervix" several times - ouch! Should she have done that if my water had already broken? Went into hosp., had pitocin, no dilation at all, then c-section... Only good part, the MW assistant - nurse who had been at our house and was very comforting went with us as "a friend" and helped me with the Pitocin contractions and even scrubbed in on the C-section! That was very kind and cool.
OH, and I should say that nobody was ever in any kind of distress! No dropping of fetal heartbeats, no high-blood pressure, etc... No one was rushing around at all acting like it was an emergency.
I just don't get it. Why would my water break both times if I wasn't ready? I took vitamin C but maybe wasn't getting a lot of protein? I keep hearing constant mention of the best way to have a VBAC being to wait until the baby is ready to come - not inducing. Well, that certainly wasn't a factor for us. I feel like I just needed more time and, as Ina May would say, to trust the people around me. How can that happen in a hospital? I have a lot of white-coat syndrome...
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I could have scar tissue on my cervix bc I had a DNC 12 years ago... The midwife at the doctor's office says she has experience with this, but what if she isn't the one on duty? Why would I just not dilate?
Why, why would I just not dilate? Ugh. I am so excited about this baby but I just wish someone could tell me what is happening and what to do. Well, that's a lot of pressure, huh?
That's a lot of back-story, too, sorry. Oh, well, if you have any thoughts, please send them along! Thanks so much!