DD is 21 months old. Her favorite things to play with are:
- Blocks, she has Lego Duplos and a Lego table that she'll sit at and build her blocks.
- Babies, this is pretty recent she's started playing with her babies a lot. She nurses them, wraps them in blankets, puts them to sleep, etc.
- Board books, she loves ones with flaps and she can lift the flaps to see what's under it. A lot of those have pretty flimsy flaps though and she rips it pretty easily. My mom found her one with sturdier flaps, as thick as the board book pages, and that's her favorite right now.
- She has a bead maze she likes to play with.
- We have a giant sized pillow, like the size of three of her. She loves to jump on that and lay on it with a blanket. A bean bag would probably serve the same purpose.
- Little People. We have a couple of hand me down sets and she's getting a couple more for Christmas.
- Anything with lids or latches or locks that she can figure out.
Those are her favorite things, but really it's hard to get her to play independently. It's recently started happening a little more often and when she starts doing something on her own, I don't mess with her at all! I rejoice in the few minutes of me-time! I have found if I sit down with her when she asks me to, read to her, build blocks for a few minutes, or rock her baby with her... then once she gets into whatever we're doing, I can kind of slip away without her throwing a fit. She just likes to have me there to facilitate the play and get her started, then she's good on her own for a little while. Yesterday, she spent a good 30 minutes playing on her own with her baby, it was glorious!
ETA: Play silks! I forgot to mention these because she uses them in every area of her play. She won't play with just a playsilk, but she loves to wrap things up in them or use them as blankets for her babies. She finds soooo many uses for those. By far, the best thing to have around.