Here is mine for the current birth (posted old plans on first page). Revised somewhat from DS, and I may tweak it more.
•I would like to push only when I have an urge to push with no coaching
•I would like to have support of the perineum to avoid tearing.
•My husband and I would like to discover the sex ourselves
•My preferences for immediately after the birth are
- to have immediate skin-to-skin contact between my baby & me
- to be left undisturbed for 1 hour following birth, newborn procedures performed afterward.
•I would like clamping & cutting of the umbilical cord to be delayed until blood stops pulsing. If resuscitation is necessary, please do so with the cord uncut. I would like my husband to cut the cord.
•I would like to deliver the placenta spontaneously. Please do not pull on the cord.
•I would like all newborn procedures to be performed in our presence, preferably bedside. In case of an emergency with our baby, my husband will accompany our baby at all times.
What We Wish to Avoid
•I do not wish to have
- artificial rupturing of membranes without my consent
- an episiotomyunless needed in the event of an emergency
•I plan to breastfeed our baby & would like to do so immediately after birth, please do not offer a pacifier or any bottles at any time during our stay, including formula & glucose water.
•We do not consentto the following:
- Vitamin K shot
- Hepatitis B vaccine
- erythromycin treatment in the eyes
If a Cesarean is necessary
· Please administer anesthesia before inserting the catheter; I prefer a spinal
· Please set the curtain low so I can see the baby as he is born
· Please try to keep the cord intact for a few minutes before cutting it
· please show me my baby as he is born and place him on my chest if there are no complications, my husband will assist
· Please do a double closure
· I prefer subcutaneous stitches and tape rather than staples
· I would like to view the placenta
· I would like my baby to accompany me to my recovery room
Edited by CookAMH - 12/28/10 at 8:47pm