Instead of trying to ban circumcision (of minors) altogether, I have some ideas for a law that would have a more realistic chance of passing (and avoids bringing religion into question):
1. Consent for circ must be on its own form that covers nothing else (besides any other issues from the circ that may arise).
2. Unless the father is unknown and cannot be determined right away, BOTH parents would be required to sign the consent form.
3. Hospitals would not be allowed to solicit circ; parents must ask about the procedure.
4. Any medical professional that would handle boys' penises would be required to demostrate proper penis/foreskin care in order to be licensed.
5. Any doctor that wants to opt out of performing routine circs would be allowed to do so without any reprimation by his/her employer (or instructor for medical students).
6. Pain relief to the extend that can safely be provided would be required.
7. Anyone performing a circ without these rules being followed would be subject to the same criminal penalties that those performing FGM would face.
What do you think?