or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Any serious minimalists on here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any serious minimalists on here? - Page 4

post #61 of 101

 

^Have you heard of Project 333? I'm very intrigued by it. I actually came up with my ideal basic wardrobe back in January and so far am still working on getting it to that point. My issues with the delay involve lack of funds and wanting quality over quantity...and quality costs!! But here is my list:

 
*2-3 dressier tops 
*5 lightweight tops that could be layered (in a longer length) in basic and fave colors 
*5 tank tops that could be layered (in a longer length) in basic and fave colors 
*5 casual dresses that hit right at/above knee (not too full or too straight) that could be worn alone or layered over pants
*2 dressier dresses (LBD and a fun print) 
*1-2 knee length skirts 
*1-2 long skirts 
*1 pair black slacks 
*2 pair bootcut medium wash jeans 
*2 wraps (black and fun color) 
*2 cardigans (black and fun color) 
*1 black trench coat with removable liner (prob this one)
*3 pairs of modesty shorts (for wear under dresses when dresses are not layered over pants) 
*5 pinafore style aprons (to protect clothing while cleaning, cooking, feeding children) 
*1 pair chunky boots (gonna splurge on these Doc Martens)
*1 pair chunky flips
*1 pair ballet flats
*1 pair sandals
*1 pair cheap flips--for showers and swimming 
*1 pair dressy heels--for rare occasions 
*3 bras 
*7 pairs panties 
*14 pairs socks (I'm funny about clean socks) 
*3 sets of three-piece pajamas (top, bottom, cami) 
*1 bathing suit
*1 pair good athletic shoes 
*2 sets workout wear--2 tops, 2 bottoms
 
Even if you count up EVERYTHING from my list you are talking 85 total items...and that includes underwear, shoes, socks, pajamas, and even workout clothes and aprons!! If I'm going by the Project 333 rules...and if I go with the lower number on the items where I have given a range...and if I leave off the cardigans and trench coat because I don't need them in warmer weather...and if I count ALL my regular jewelry as one item...then I'll come in right at the 33 items!! 
post #62 of 101

I'm also seriously considering unschooling! DD is only 2.. and un-schooling is totally unheard of here, but legal (perhaps because it's unheard of, so they haven't had the need to make it illegal!!) I'm glad I have a few years to think about it. The most difficult thing probably would be others' reactions to it. I don't think anyone I know has even heard about it. Nobody even knows anyone who has been homeschooled or is homeschooling.

 

I've read stuff on radical un-schooling, but the stuff of not brushing kids' teeth if they don't want to, and buying kids anything they want any time they want, and things like that, put me off of radical un-schooling.

 

I figure too, that since we have no crap, and no excess furniture, we will be able to devote space we have to kid-friendly living and activities and storing thing they use.

 

We just visited my aunt's house today, a cute 750 sf total space, two story, two bedroom house. She's been renovating it and it was really cute and I could totally see myself living in that kind of house with a couple of kids and feeling like we have plenty of space!!

post #63 of 101

A minimalist wardrobe is the best. 

 

I teach yoga, so my garments tend toward "workout gear" even though I wear them always and dressed up.

 

Here is my whole wardrobe:

 

Underwear: 5

LunaPads: 6

Bras: 2

Socks: 3 (2 smart wool, 1 cotton)

 

Tank Tops: 4

Yoga Pants: 5

 

Dresses: 3 (wrap, green, LBD)

Skirts: 3 (grey a-line, grey pencil, denim pencil)

Sweaters: 2 cardigans, 1 pull over

 

Jeans: 3 pairs

 

Outter wear: 2 fleeces, 1 vest (jacket), 1 winter coat, 1 denim jacket, 1 raincoat (trench-style), 1 wool coat

 

Shoes: 1 wedge heels (grey); 1 peep toe heels (black); 1 keen hiking shoes; 1 vibram five-fingers. 

 

Accessories: 4 pashmina scarves, 1 sun hat.

 

So that's 56 objects. I might have a few that I forgot.

 

---

 

My mother keeps impulse buying clothes for DS, and most of it is not useable for his lifestyle. We are outdoors, usually in the rain, quite a bit. He needs rain gear that *functions* for him. She keeps buying "cute" rain gear from "designer" shops on sale -- stuff that is hardly weather resistant! I then have to send it back to my sister to use later. And that's really annoying.

 

So, I explained that when he needs basics, I'll tell her exactly what he needs. Usually, she does well. He mostly wears jeans, t-shirts, and an over-shirt (polo or button down style -- his favorites), and then over that we put his rain gear (pants and coat) with his rain boots. When it's not a very rainy day, he wears his running shoes. I try to keep his wardrobe streamlined-- less is more with this kid. Besides, he likes to wear the same 3-4 outfits over and over anyway. Even when we have more.

 

She was upset, but I had to explain that a "cute lightweight jacket for summer" was not going to be used because it wasn't waterproof. Resistance isn't enough here. It is humid, then misty, then it will rain, then the sun comes out, then it mists again, etc. You get soaked. And I can't just keep him indoors just because it is raining. 

 

Hopefully, she'll now understand. 

 

My MIL keeps sending shorts. Hawk doesn't wear shorts for two reasons: 1. the sun is brighter here, the more coverage the better; 2. it doesn't get hot here. Seriously. We wear light jackets/sweaters all summer. So, I have to have DH remind them to NOT send shorts -- because they don't get worn either. 

 

-----

 

In other news, started decluttering today.

 

Cleared out:

 

3 bags (grocery store sized) of papers to recycle (shredded);

2 bags glass jars to recycle;

lots of cardboard to recycle (2-3 trips down the street to the recycle pick up);

1 bag plastic yogurt containers (not being used as food storage) to recycle.

Craft supplies to be donated to the waldorf school (via a friend on Thursday). 

 

Reorganized:

 

Paperwork -- business and home financials; immigration; health care; letters from friends/family (DH likes to keep these, so we have a 'home' for them). 

Pantry -- spices reorganized (those that were not doing well (due to the moisture of our world here) were tossed, jars cleaned and prepped for replacements.

Toys -- some are completely beyond repair, so I pitched them; others that he doesn't often use, I packed away into his trunks so that we can move them more easily and quickly;

Clothes -- just started dividing them into worn out (rags); too large (to be stored until DS fits into them), and what we currently wear. I've packed everything that is out-of-season already, so that will be easy to transport first.

 

Cleaned:

 

Walls throughout, bathroom (scrubbed bright and shiny) and kitchen (scrubbed), and got the house ready for staging for the photographs for the advertisement that will go online. DH is bringing home the vacuum cleaner so that we can do the floors (which we do once a week, but I guess it will be twice this week!). 

 

---

 

We meet with the new landlady on Wed/Thurs/Fri, and will sign the new lease.

 

The current tenants move out on Fri, so we'll go in and clean it, and then our friends are going to paint it for us (for a good price). Our washer and dryer should be delivered this weekend as well, and then I have to organize the fridge. Hopefully, we'll also "win" the dining room table that I want, and be able to move that over as well. After that, I'll get new curtains up, and the shelving that we want up, and then start moving out things over each week in small amounts. On the last weekend, we'll have the big furniture moved, and we'll be transitioned over by the end of the month. 

 

 

Should run smoothly. :)

 

post #64 of 101
Wow, that sounds like a productive day!

In my world we did a nice thrift store run today too but I'm a little scared. Moving day is Weds and we're all sick - I'm going to do as much packing as possible today but I'm worried regardless because I can't take the kids to daycare like I was planning for tomorrow. Maybe on Tues they'll be well enough but right now it's gonna be rough. They are CRANKY and unpacking everything I packed, and then seeing what I'm donating or throwing out, and pitching fits about how they just neeeeeeeeeed that broken paper crown we made. Or how they neeeeeeeeeeeed every last matchbox car they have, even the ones that are old and broken. I'd love to be more indulgent with them about sorting things out, but we have neither time to be patient, nor space to take everything along. So I'm trying to do things after they fall asleep, but since they're sick they keep waking up. DS went to sleep at 10 the other night and his sister's up at 5, not to mention I'm sick too, so there's only enough hours in the day to get everything done and get a little sleep to boot. I feel like crud right now! Whinewhinewhine.

Anyway.

I'm pleased with some progress I've made. I waffled on a few items for purely sentimental reasons but in the end I got rid of them after taking photos. And I feel good, not bad about it. smile.gif Typically I find that if I go back and forth on an item, I know I don't need it, so I don't feel bad getting rid of it. But sometimes I feel like the kids, "I totally neeeeeeeeeed that old shirt from college because it looked so good on me" - uh yeah, a few babies and many stretch marks later, not like I'm ever going to wear them again! wink1.gif But both the kids and I are the same, once it's actually IN the donation center and we're driving away, none of us ever look back and regret something gone. It's just that matter of getting it out the door.
post #65 of 101
I'm proud of myself. I narrowed down our personal effects to the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53615417@N03/5701568075/

In case the pic doesn't show up (or even if it does):

1 box each for kids' toys
1 box for my personal effects
1 crate of books (kids and adults combined)
1 box of blocks
1 box of board games
1 box of art supplies (not pictured)

And those are small boxes!!

Also one rubbermaid tote for my clothes (and towels and purse and headscarves and shoes etc - wearables), and one for the kids' (combined).

And my purse and laptop bag. That's about it.

I'm kind of psyched at it. I mean it's not like that's all the stuff we have in the world. We do have furniture, bedding, towels, kitchen stuff, decorations, clothing, some more toys like a play kitchen, books, etc. that we're putting into storage. Not a LOT of it, but still, the stuff that would furnish a home. But this is the stuff that we'll have to make do with until we find a new house. It feels like plenty. There's so many things to do with it. Media (via Netflix), tons of books (e-reader and a few favorite picture books, also books of fairy tales and nursery rhymes and poems), toys (blocks, nesting dolls, kaleidoscopes, musical instruments, play silks, figurines, balls, marbles, cars, trains, stuffed animals, etc), games (cards, memory games, board games), our photo albums (via laptop), arts (drawing supplies, play dough supplies, embroidery), nostalgia stuff (mementos from DH, a few things from my childhood)... All that and tons more stuff. Hmm doesn't sound too minimalistic in the least, but when you think about the fact that it actually fits into the trunk of a compact sedan, that's good enough for me. (And it does fit, I checked, minus the book crate which I will have to put in the cabin somewhere, and somehow secure so it doesn't become a hazard.)

Anyway sorry for rambling. I just feel accomplished. We could do without a lot of this stuff, really, narrow it down even further, but I'm happy with the amount of space it takes up and there's absolutely nothing that's not carefully picked. If anyone is wondering if it's possible to keep (young) kids entertained with the toys that fit into one room the children share, for example, you have my vote of confidence. This is MORE than enough to keep them occupied - and us grownups too.
post #66 of 101

that's excellent! it just goes to show how do-able minimalism can be. :) that's awesome!

 

got cranky with the landlord today. he says he won't let us come to a settlement agreement re: current/old lease. *so annoying* -- but, i know it's going to work out. i'm sure we'll be able to find someone within the month. 

 

next up, getting some shoe storage for the yoga studio (business).

post #67 of 101


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanromaniac View Post

 

^Have you heard of Project 333? I'm very intrigued by it. I actually came up with my ideal basic wardrobe back in January and so far am still working on getting it to that point. My issues with the delay involve lack of funds and wanting quality over quantity...and quality costs!! But here is my list:

 
*2-3 dressier tops 
*5 lightweight tops that could be layered (in a longer length) in basic and fave colors 
*5 tank tops that could be layered (in a longer length) in basic and fave colors 
*5 casual dresses that hit right at/above knee (not too full or too straight) that could be worn alone or layered over pants
*2 dressier dresses (LBD and a fun print) 
*1-2 knee length skirts 
*1-2 long skirts 
*1 pair black slacks 
*2 pair bootcut medium wash jeans 
*2 wraps (black and fun color) 
*2 cardigans (black and fun color) 
*1 black trench coat with removable liner (prob this one)
*3 pairs of modesty shorts (for wear under dresses when dresses are not layered over pants) 
*5 pinafore style aprons (to protect clothing while cleaning, cooking, feeding children) 
*1 pair chunky boots (gonna splurge on these Doc Martens)
*1 pair chunky flips
*1 pair ballet flats
*1 pair sandals
*1 pair cheap flips--for showers and swimming 
*1 pair dressy heels--for rare occasions 
*3 bras 
*7 pairs panties 
*14 pairs socks (I'm funny about clean socks) 
*3 sets of three-piece pajamas (top, bottom, cami) 
*1 bathing suit
*1 pair good athletic shoes 
*2 sets workout wear--2 tops, 2 bottoms
 
Even if you count up EVERYTHING from my list you are talking 85 total items...and that includes underwear, shoes, socks, pajamas, and even workout clothes and aprons!! If I'm going by the Project 333 rules...and if I go with the lower number on the items where I have given a range...and if I leave off the cardigans and trench coat because I don't need them in warmer weather...and if I count ALL my regular jewelry as one item...then I'll come in right at the 33 items!! 

Awesome! I went through mine and narrowed it down to 60 items. I'm pretty happy with it!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMum View Post

I'm also seriously considering unschooling! DD is only 2.. and un-schooling is totally unheard of here, but legal (perhaps because it's unheard of, so they haven't had the need to make it illegal!!) I'm glad I have a few years to think about it. The most difficult thing probably would be others' reactions to it. I don't think anyone I know has even heard about it. Nobody even knows anyone who has been homeschooled or is homeschooling.

 

I've read stuff on radical un-schooling, but the stuff of not brushing kids' teeth if they don't want to, and buying kids anything they want any time they want, and things like that, put me off of radical un-schooling.

 

I figure too, that since we have no crap, and no excess furniture, we will be able to devote space we have to kid-friendly living and activities and storing thing they use.

 

We just visited my aunt's house today, a cute 750 sf total space, two story, two bedroom house. She's been renovating it and it was really cute and I could totally see myself living in that kind of house with a couple of kids and feeling like we have plenty of space!!


Well for what it's worth, RU gets defined both those few things in a way that isn't really true, nor fair. It's like saying all hippies are just bleeding heart liberals with hairy armpits. It doesn't apply to everyone, and it strips all the substance away. We brush teeth daily, and certainly don't buy everything they want though we do take their wants seriously and help with what we can. Don't believe everything you read. winky.gif

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

A minimalist wardrobe is the best. 

 

I teach yoga, so my garments tend toward "workout gear" even though I wear them always and dressed up.

 

Here is my whole wardrobe:

 

Underwear: 5

LunaPads: 6

Bras: 2

Socks: 3 (2 smart wool, 1 cotton)

 

Tank Tops: 4

Yoga Pants: 5

 

Dresses: 3 (wrap, green, LBD)

Skirts: 3 (grey a-line, grey pencil, denim pencil)

Sweaters: 2 cardigans, 1 pull over

 

Jeans: 3 pairs

 

Outter wear: 2 fleeces, 1 vest (jacket), 1 winter coat, 1 denim jacket, 1 raincoat (trench-style), 1 wool coat

 

Shoes: 1 wedge heels (grey); 1 peep toe heels (black); 1 keen hiking shoes; 1 vibram five-fingers. 

 

Accessories: 4 pashmina scarves, 1 sun hat.

 

So that's 56 objects. I might have a few that I forgot.

 

---

 

My mother keeps impulse buying clothes for DS, and most of it is not useable for his lifestyle. We are outdoors, usually in the rain, quite a bit. He needs rain gear that *functions* for him. She keeps buying "cute" rain gear from "designer" shops on sale -- stuff that is hardly weather resistant! I then have to send it back to my sister to use later. And that's really annoying.

 

So, I explained that when he needs basics, I'll tell her exactly what he needs. Usually, she does well. He mostly wears jeans, t-shirts, and an over-shirt (polo or button down style -- his favorites), and then over that we put his rain gear (pants and coat) with his rain boots. When it's not a very rainy day, he wears his running shoes. I try to keep his wardrobe streamlined-- less is more with this kid. Besides, he likes to wear the same 3-4 outfits over and over anyway. Even when we have more.

 

She was upset, but I had to explain that a "cute lightweight jacket for summer" was not going to be used because it wasn't waterproof. Resistance isn't enough here. It is humid, then misty, then it will rain, then the sun comes out, then it mists again, etc. You get soaked. And I can't just keep him indoors just because it is raining. 

 

Hopefully, she'll now understand. 

 

My MIL keeps sending shorts. Hawk doesn't wear shorts for two reasons: 1. the sun is brighter here, the more coverage the better; 2. it doesn't get hot here. Seriously. We wear light jackets/sweaters all summer. So, I have to have DH remind them to NOT send shorts -- because they don't get worn either. 

 

-----

 

In other news, started decluttering today.

 

Cleared out:

 

3 bags (grocery store sized) of papers to recycle (shredded);

2 bags glass jars to recycle;

lots of cardboard to recycle (2-3 trips down the street to the recycle pick up);

1 bag plastic yogurt containers (not being used as food storage) to recycle.

Craft supplies to be donated to the waldorf school (via a friend on Thursday). 

 

Reorganized:

 

Paperwork -- business and home financials; immigration; health care; letters from friends/family (DH likes to keep these, so we have a 'home' for them). 

Pantry -- spices reorganized (those that were not doing well (due to the moisture of our world here) were tossed, jars cleaned and prepped for replacements.

Toys -- some are completely beyond repair, so I pitched them; others that he doesn't often use, I packed away into his trunks so that we can move them more easily and quickly;

Clothes -- just started dividing them into worn out (rags); too large (to be stored until DS fits into them), and what we currently wear. I've packed everything that is out-of-season already, so that will be easy to transport first.

 

Cleaned:

 

Walls throughout, bathroom (scrubbed bright and shiny) and kitchen (scrubbed), and got the house ready for staging for the photographs for the advertisement that will go online. DH is bringing home the vacuum cleaner so that we can do the floors (which we do once a week, but I guess it will be twice this week!). 

 

---

 

We meet with the new landlady on Wed/Thurs/Fri, and will sign the new lease.

 

The current tenants move out on Fri, so we'll go in and clean it, and then our friends are going to paint it for us (for a good price). Our washer and dryer should be delivered this weekend as well, and then I have to organize the fridge. Hopefully, we'll also "win" the dining room table that I want, and be able to move that over as well. After that, I'll get new curtains up, and the shelving that we want up, and then start moving out things over each week in small amounts. On the last weekend, we'll have the big furniture moved, and we'll be transitioned over by the end of the month. 

 

 

Should run smoothly. :)

 



Wardrobe sounds great, and sounds like you got a lot done. I love conquering the paperwork, for some reason that feels so satisfying!



Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

I'm proud of myself. I narrowed down our personal effects to the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53615417@N03/5701568075/

In case the pic doesn't show up (or even if it does):

1 box each for kids' toys
1 box for my personal effects
1 crate of books (kids and adults combined)
1 box of blocks
1 box of board games
1 box of art supplies (not pictured)

And those are small boxes!!

Also one rubbermaid tote for my clothes (and towels and purse and headscarves and shoes etc - wearables), and one for the kids' (combined).

And my purse and laptop bag. That's about it.

I'm kind of psyched at it. I mean it's not like that's all the stuff we have in the world. We do have furniture, bedding, towels, kitchen stuff, decorations, clothing, some more toys like a play kitchen, books, etc. that we're putting into storage. Not a LOT of it, but still, the stuff that would furnish a home. But this is the stuff that we'll have to make do with until we find a new house. It feels like plenty. There's so many things to do with it. Media (via Netflix), tons of books (e-reader and a few favorite picture books, also books of fairy tales and nursery rhymes and poems), toys (blocks, nesting dolls, kaleidoscopes, musical instruments, play silks, figurines, balls, marbles, cars, trains, stuffed animals, etc), games (cards, memory games, board games), our photo albums (via laptop), arts (drawing supplies, play dough supplies, embroidery), nostalgia stuff (mementos from DH, a few things from my childhood)... All that and tons more stuff. Hmm doesn't sound too minimalistic in the least, but when you think about the fact that it actually fits into the trunk of a compact sedan, that's good enough for me. (And it does fit, I checked, minus the book crate which I will have to put in the cabin somewhere, and somehow secure so it doesn't become a hazard.)

Anyway sorry for rambling. I just feel accomplished. We could do without a lot of this stuff, really, narrow it down even further, but I'm happy with the amount of space it takes up and there's absolutely nothing that's not carefully picked. If anyone is wondering if it's possible to keep (young) kids entertained with the toys that fit into one room the children share, for example, you have my vote of confidence. This is MORE than enough to keep them occupied - and us grownups too.

Nice work!

 

I had a busy weekend so I didn't do much other than my clothes so I have a long list for this week. Better get to work!
 

 

post #68 of 101

I a lot of times people who 'think' they are just radical unschoolers are really more on the TCS (taking children seriously or unparenting) spectrum. You can certainly be a radical unschooler and still be the parent w/ the ultimate decision making on things like brushing teeth, eating healthy, etc.  I consider myself a radical unschooler, and my kids have bedtimes, help with chores, and don't eat junk all day long (though they would really probably like to....who wouldn't!? LOL).

 

I am not a dictator, and my kids have lots of freedoms, but they still do have some basic rules to live by, respect them, and help around the house as 'family work' is part of living in a household and we all do it.

post #69 of 101

I really like the idea of unschooling, but the reality wasn't working for us. 

 

That is to say, DS was great, DH and I were the problem! LOL 

 

DS's social needs are huge -- much greater than Ryan and I. Trying to keep up with his social need (which is to be with friends four mornings a week, at least) was making us exhausted. Between work and getting him to the *one* event we went to every week was *rough*. We always took him to the park, hikes, etc, but other children may not be there, and he would be disappointed. He likes to be with "friends" (which is anyone, really, he's that friendly). So, we realized that if we take him to all of the events he needs, it's basically a lot more than we can handle.

 

Waldorf schooling was our second choice, but we are moving to an area far from the school. While we still like the educational method and will have a waldorf-y home, it's just too far for us to go. Also, I know what it is to commute to school as a kid. You don't hang out with your friends after school all that often, and again, it's left up to me to drive him to his friend's homes (most kids who go to that school live within 15 minutes drive of each other or walking distance to the school. people purposefully move into the neighborhood when they choose waldorf). Again, that is too much for me.

 

So, the most important thing is not the school for us, but the culture of the neighborhood and the socialization for him. The neighborhood that we're moving into is *very* social and full of cultural creatives (and general creatives). The school is considered as good as any private school in the world, really, and the educational environment is adaptable to the child. But, I am not worried about his education -- he's smart and curious, so I knew that whatever school (or not school) he went to, he would learn. My bigger concern was for his social need.

 

We have decided to send him to the neighborhood school, which makes connections for him close to home. Kids go to school together, play together on weekends, and run in and out of everyone's house pretty much all the time. We know that he would thrive in that kind of environment. It's also right on the beach, so he'll get to grow up on the water, too. It's just the right choice for him and for us.

 

If i could handle his social needs, I would definitely unschool. I really love it. But his needs are greater than I can provide. :)

post #70 of 101

that's what happened here too.  we homeschooled for a few years (pretty brief!) but my kids begged for school.  same deal, we were very active but it just wasn't enough.  I put them into school 2 years ago and it's been amazing.  They're just thrilled, love going every day and get bummed about vacations.  Ds went for the first time in 1st grade and was madly in love from day one.  Dd too.  I wanted to homeschool as did dh, but it was not the right choice for them right now.  That may change, but as the whole point was doing what was right for them....this is what's right right now.  I'm glad I didn't try to override what they wanted to satisfy myself.

post #71 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

I did a semester of volunteering through college.  We were working with an orphanage, and with a children's hospital.  It was totally awesome. I think that's where my minimalism started...lugging a gigantic suitcase home on the train and wondering "did I really need all this stuff?"


I think going to Romania myself as an adult was the real beginning to my minimalism too.

 

Each summer that I went I took the max allowed baggage, but only one of the big bags (a rolling duffle bag) was my stuff....the rest was gifts for my campers, first aid supplies, sporting goods for youth groups, etc.

 

Then, when I moved over there myself (what ended up being just a year, but I was planning for 2.5 years)...I actually shipped a 4'x4'x6' crate that was about 2/3 full (could have fit it in a 4'x4'x4' crate, but the shipper recommended going with the bigger one as it was less likely to get damaged in the shipping). It was full of winter clothes, books, household goods, a teeny bit of food (mostly holiday type foods that aren't available over there), and extras of my favorite toiletries...as well as a couple boxes of Sunday School/VBS stuff and more sporting goods and games for outreach.

 

But it took a CRAZY long time to get to me!! I left in June and it was October before I got my crate because of shipping time and all kinds of paperwork and junk (had to get a residency visa before they'd release my stuff to me so they could know I wasn't gonna be selling the contents of the crate). 

 

So I ended up living with just the contents of my checked and carry-on bags for four months. I had:

1 big rolling duffle bag--which contained my clothes, a twin sized inflatable mattress, a pump, sheets, a wool blanket, etc.

1 used-to-be carry-on bag fully expanded as a checked bag--with the heavier stuff in it like shoes, books, toiletries, etc.

1 big rolling briefcase as a carry-on bag--with 2 changes of clothes, towel, flipflops, laptop, etc. 

1 big purse--with regular purse, discman, cd's, makeup, etc.

1 pillowcase carried on as my pillow--which had a small pillow, 2 books, and a magazine (all wrapped up in a fleece throw then slid into pillowcase)

1 lightweight coat with removable liner--tied around my waist (VERY hot in Atlanta in June, but handy in the mountains of Romania even in summer)

 

Now, during those four months without my crate I DID move into a furnished apartment for the summer and I DID buy a cd player that could plug in, a hot sandwich press, and an extra pair of jeans and a sweatshirt at a thrift store (since it was getting cold)...so I wasn't completely without.

 

About a month before I finally got my crate though I had to move to an unfurnished apartment with a roommate...so I did spend a week or so on a cold concrete floor on my air mattress until my realtor who helped me find the new place actually GAVE me a small bed, a little table and chairs, a bench, two bookshelves, and a couple extra chairs (cause she and her daughter were downsizing from a two bedroom to a one bedroom). My landlady provided a couch, a couple freestanding wardrobes, a cheap table, and a 3 burner gas hotplate. We never had a washer (much less a dryer) or a fridge...but somehow we made it work and it was fun!! We got a couple kittens, a TV, and a DVD player...and we were set!! When the crate finally arrived it was just bonus!!

 

post #72 of 101

I know this is OT -- but what is the difference between unschooling and radical unschooling? I know here any kind of home-schooling, let alone unschooling, is very radical!!!!

 

On the topic - I haven't gotten rid of anything else lately but I have a donation bag going.

Even better, I haven't bought anything new, save for a couple of books via amazon that were not available in the library. I will find a book to donate for each one that I decide to keep after reading. 

post #73 of 101

cool.

 

after we get into this new place and feel settled, I want to try a month without shopping (save consumables and gifts for friends/etc -- because we might have to buy craft supplies for it or just break down and buy some gifts). 

 

in regards to unschooling/radical unschooling, i really have no idea, but I think there's a forum about it. :)

 

post #74 of 101

The unschooling forum is here: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/list/439/unschooling and there's been many threads about RU vs. U.

In a nutshell, Unschooling is about believing that there is no difference between educational things and the rest of living, that everything is educational and trusting that children can and will learn all the academics they need to just by living a fulfilling, rich life with very involved, and respectful adults You help them follow their interests and see the value in anything they choose to spend their time doing.

Radical Unschooling extends the philosophy a bit further into believing that children can learn everything they need to in life if we listen to them, respect them and develop a close relationship. It's just about really taking them seriously, really believing that they know themselves best and it's about identifying our own triggers and processing our past experiences that drive us to control our children so they may grow up healthy and whole.

 

I am on a roll this week! Yesterday I took down a shelf in the livingroom and got rid of the things on it, as well as the decorative things on the windowsill. I removed a bookshelf from the corner and got rid of the wall clock. I love walking in and seeing less!

 

In my room I got rid of our nightstands, and went through ALL my craft stuff and got rid of a lot. I consolidated enough that it all fits on the top of my side of closet. I took out my craft table and now there is a whole big empty area! It's awesome. I'm thinking my kdis can use it to play, craft etc. and I can roll out my yoga mat more too. I love it.

 

I'm considering getting rid of my kitchen table and chairs and getting a little sofa bed ( http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70087108 ) and coffee table instead in the dining area space. It would be like a coffee shop! We just don't eat at the table. We use it for projects and games, but we could use the coffee table instead. Or get a folding table. Or put a bar stool at the counter. I just like the idea of a separate seating/visiting area for hubby and I to sit in the evening when our kids are watching TV or playing video games. The living room isn't real condusive to hanging out in if the TV is in use. I just hate to buy more stuff, plus we're moving in 6 months and I have no clue what our rental will be like so this set-up may not work there. Not sure, I'm gonna just keep thinking about it a while. I tend to be impulsive. orngbiggrin.gif

 

I love this process of figuring out how to make the space we have really work and function the way we want/need it to instead of having things set-up in the obligatory, conventional way.

post #75 of 101

So instead of dressers, my family just has those plastic rubbermaid drawers, 'cause I got some for free once.  I consolidated my two drawers into one that now has my swimsuit, underwear, socks, cloth pads, jewelry, makeup, nursing pads, and three martial arts belts in it. They didn't really have much else in them to start with, it's just everything was kind of exploded everywhere and not folded. I want to declutter more stuff, but I don't even know what anymore.  I was eyeing my bookcase yesterday, but most everything there is photo albums and journals, things I rarely refer to, but am super glad I have them when I do.  

 

I've always conceptualized the idea of unschooling vs radical unschooling as extending the trust that our children will learn through life to parenting as well as education.

post #76 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

So instead of dressers, my family just has those plastic rubbermaid drawers, 'cause I got some for free once.  I consolidated my two drawers into one that now has my swimsuit, underwear, socks, cloth pads, jewelry, makeup, nursing pads, and three martial arts belts in it. They didn't really have much else in them to start with, it's just everything was kind of exploded everywhere and not folded. I want to declutter more stuff, but I don't even know what anymore.  I was eyeing my bookcase yesterday, but most everything there is photo albums and journals, things I rarely refer to, but am super glad I have them when I do.  

 

I've always conceptualized the idea of unschooling vs radical unschooling as extending the trust that our children will learn through life to parenting as well as education.


That's awesome! I did the same thing today, I had two rubbermaid drawers for the same type of stuff. I bought one of those hanging cubby things with three spots. I put all my undies, swimsuits, cloth pads etc. in one, ALL my shoes in the other and cut off the bottom one to resist the temptation to fill it with stuff. lol

 

I also took out my bookshelf and did more general cleaning. My bedroom and closet look seriously amazing. Not because they are particularly cool, just completely clear and organized. I can't believe I finally got it how I've wanted it for years! I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, though it's not as exciting without a before shot.

 

I also took out another little table from the livingroom. There is officially no surfaces left to dust- now that's exciting!

 

My mom is coming over tomorrow to help me do a Goodwill run. After that I'm gonna take the weekend off to enjoy the fruits of labor. :-) Next week- the backyard, hall closets, and maybe DS9's room if I'm feeling brave.

 

post #77 of 101

so, we visited our new house yesterday with DIY friends who love to do that sort of work. So, he's doing it in exchange for thai yoga massage -- which I love. 

 

we have a long list of to-do: 1. clean inside and out! 2. paint the walls, ceiling, etc. 3. strip kitchen cupboards and using liming wax, and put up a floating shelf (or two) on the long wall of the kitchen above the countertops. 4. (down the line) pull up the carpets and clean up the wide-plank timber floors (which, to our knowledge, have never been used as floors, always a subfloor). We'll need to put in a vapor barrier in the crawl space and possibly insulate between the joists before starting out.

 

I think I can do the first three within my current budget (I have $580 remaining), and then save up for 4 for next Nov. The bigger cost will be the insulation. 

 

the rest is just making it pretty.

 

we found out that there are mice, so we'll be getting an (older) cat. snakes aren't allowed, and an owl is just too messy. :D That will be down the line a bit too. 

 

post #78 of 101

I am and I so do like it. What started out as a bad situation ended up freeing me. If I was to guesstimate how many "things" I own, including my car, I would say 175. DS probably has about 100 or so. I am so enjoying and looking ways to pare down but right now, it's just right for me. I only had 2 weeks to get out and on my own, so I was really particular in what I was going to take. Minus the furniture, we could fit everything into my car (with some careful planning and packing.) I really started to take a liking to minimalism when we went away for a whole month to visit. We stay in an extend-a-stay type place and I had everything I need. It really gave me great ideas on how to minimalize, what I truly used and making the most out of a small space. When people come over, they tell me it is very simple spa looking and I like that. I am very happy where I am at and wouldn't have it any other way. : )

post #79 of 101
Wow, well, OK. So today our friendly junk removal service picked up 99% of the junk in our house and we made trip after trip after trip to the thrift store to drop off items... and there's a truck coming for the big items. Then we'll be down to serious minimalist qualifications for sure. I'm a little heart broken at all the wasted energy I put into acquiring so much stuff (and we were decluttered enough as it was - this was all beloved stuff we're having to get rid of) because I wanted to make a home for my family. But it was an eye opening experience because I know my family won't be made any happier through "stuff"... I don't know, I'm facing very complicated emotions letting go of everything. It's freeing but scary and it's all twinged with sadness because in a way we're being forced to get rid of our stuff. But in a way it's good too because it's freeing to know that we have everything we need but nothing more. It's taking a giant leap of faith because neither of us have an income to be replacing all this stuff with in the near future. But it's good to be working through these emotions as a family. Ugh, I dunno. It's all very emotional today.
post #80 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

Wow, well, OK. So today our friendly junk removal service picked up 99% of the junk in our house and we made trip after trip after trip to the thrift store to drop off items... and there's a truck coming for the big items. Then we'll be down to serious minimalist qualifications for sure. I'm a little heart broken at all the wasted energy I put into acquiring so much stuff (and we were decluttered enough as it was - this was all beloved stuff we're having to get rid of) because I wanted to make a home for my family. But it was an eye opening experience because I know my family won't be made any happier through "stuff"... I don't know, I'm facing very complicated emotions letting go of everything. It's freeing but scary and it's all twinged with sadness because in a way we're being forced to get rid of our stuff. But in a way it's good too because it's freeing to know that we have everything we need but nothing more. It's taking a giant leap of faith because neither of us have an income to be replacing all this stuff with in the near future. But it's good to be working through these emotions as a family. Ugh, I dunno. It's all very emotional today.

 

I'm sorry. I can imagine if it feels forced in any way that it would be harder to sort through the emotional baggage surrounding stuff, even if you know it's for the best. Give yourself time to work through all that, it's OK to be sad about things. Do you have family/friends near you? I know part of my security getting rid of extra kitchen stuff is that I've got lots of friends and family close I can borrow from if I really need to. Freecycle too, and Craigslist free section. For the most part I'm sure you'll find you don't need it. Good luck!
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Any serious minimalists on here?